[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reminder that Leica is a meme brand [EXIF data available. Click
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (201 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201 KB, 2000x2000
Reminder that Leica is a meme brand

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2000
Image Height2000
>>
Just got a fully functional, good condition Minilux (40mm 2.4) for £125. Did I do good?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Camera Raw 9.1.1 (Windows)
PhotographerTobias Weinacker
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:08:07 16:04:47
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1000
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length40.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2878546
No
>>
The concept of a brand is a meme in itself.
>>
>>2878543
Leica is the Apple of photography.
Overpriced and often outdated hardware, albeit user-friendly, and built on the image of sleek premium products for people with more money than sense.
Neither Macs nor Leicas are outright bad, but they are a terrible value for the money. Macs "just work" - in a draconian ecosystem you have no control over, and Leicas have amazing lenses - but it means using shitty camera bodies.
>>
>>2878615
Jobs was a leica fan.
>>
File: 1541.gif (358 KB, 400x295) Image search: [Google]
1541.gif
358 KB, 400x295
>>2878601
The brand of a meme is a concept in itself.

S H O O T

N
I
K
O
N
>>
>>2878615
>leica means using shitty camera bodies
just
>>
It kind of stopped at the Leica M6. There is nothing worth talking about after that.
>>
Leica are the Apple of the photography world.
>>
>>2878623
>guaranteed firmware problems on new cameras
>regular issues with sensors, like cracking
>questionable ergonomics and design choices at times
>half the controls or more aren't labeled
>sensors and electronics often a generation behind the industry standard
>charge more for their cameras than better-spec'ed models from other makers
J U S T
>>
>>2878546
Yes
>>
File: 1466958935956.png (138 KB, 517x375) Image search: [Google]
1466958935956.png
138 KB, 517x375
>>2878615
> I've never looked at mac specs because i'm poor

Not only is the built windows version of a mac pro two times as expensive, you lose the, "just works" aspect Windows as an OS simply can't grasp.
>>
>>2878543
MUH ILFORD
MUH HENRI CARTIER-BRESSON
MUH BAD B&W STREET FOTOS
MUH 50MM
MUH COUNTER INTUITIVE GEAR
>>
Reminder that Leica made a digital rangefinder with no LCD or menu screen to make it look "minimalistic" and sells it for 6,000 usd
>>
>>2878677
Yes sweetie.
>>
File: 1466670549771.jpg (48 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
1466670549771.jpg
48 KB, 600x375
>>2878677
REALITY DISTORTION FIELD, ACTIVATE!
>>
>>2878543
as is Sony (especially Sonys A cameras) :^)
>>
>>2878683
No No. It's all about going back to basics and focusing on the process of taking a photo.

To free yourself from the ways of chimping. Leica are the only company innovating right now.
>>
>>2878543
sure it is, poorfag
>>
>>2878755

It is.

Leica is a fashion and social statement, nothing more.
>>
>>2878677
I know this is bait, but Im still triggered
>>
>Live in Vancouver
>Chilling at a friend's apartment, they tell me they don't like this person too much (messy, annoying, elitist...)
>I had my camera and I left it on a desk while we chilled in the living room
>Their roomie comes in
>Notices my camera (sony a7), asks me about what camera to purchase
>He says the price doesn't matter
>I begin listing out the top of the line SLRs, I bias towards the a7rii
>He asks "What about Leica?"
>Tell him that they're good, but not worth the money, you can take much better pictures with a top of the line camera for less money
>Kinda go back and forth on this for a couple minutes
>He then just says, verbatim:
>"Ya, but I wanna show off and have something expensive that people can see"
>"......... Ya, get the Leica"
>>
>>2878890

>Summering in Vancouver
>Hanging out in my townhome, annoying poorfag bitchy roommate has some fagwad dork hanging out with them
>See dingus's plastic camera sitting on the coffee table
>humor him and pretend to be interested in his peasant hobby
>malorkus names off a bunch of poorfag cameras made by the same people who make video game consoles and microwaves and inkjet printers
>ask about leica just to see him twitch (he'll never be able to afford one lmao)
>he then just says, verbatim:
>"they're expensive, and you can get a much better value for much less money"
>know that he took the bait, hook line and sinker
>tell him that I don't even care about the photographs, but that I just want something that will look good around my neck down in St. Barths and Monaco
>see him shrink three sizes
>mutters something about how i should just get a leica
>laugh as i leave to go pick up my LV jeans from the tailor
>>
>>2878903
kek'd
>>
>>2878677
How many times have you tongued Steve jobs asshole? How many after he died?
>>
>>2878903
Made me laugh.
>>
>>2878546

Yes
>>
I thought that the Leica S2 was a joke being 20 grand without a lens, but reading this excellent hair-split-review made me realise Leica still has it.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3214761610/leica-s2-against-megapixel-arms-race

I mean Leica never was affordable. When the M3 came out it was way out of reach of 90% of photographers.
>>2878632
I hadn't heard of the sensor issues. And yeah, they are fashion accessories at this day, so what do you expect? But
>charge more for their cameras than better-spec'ed models from other makers
Any company being able to do this and still selling products is genious.
I mean, Apple much?
>>
>buy a Leica because I want to experience shooting a rangefinder
>every single place recommends a Leica
>It's so light and small
>Camera is built like a german tank
>horrible to hold
>terrible film advance lever
>at least it has a nice loading system
>almost every lens is too heavy for it's size
>finally work up the courage to buy an R2
>superior in every way
>shutter is only a little louder due to not being a cloth shutter
>Leica just sits on the shelf waiting to be sold

It's a meme camera. Focal plane shutters instead of leaf shutter lenses were a mistake. It doesn't make you any less noticable and the shutter isn't as quiet as people claim.

>>2879034
>Any company being able to do this and still selling products is genious.
>I mean, Apple much?
That's all about branding at this point. Being the only remaining digital rangefinder brings in a lot of sales.
A lot of people would ditch Leica in a heartbeat for a FF M mount digital rangefinder which doesn't cost $3k+
>>
>>2878903
lol
>>
>>2879102
>A lot of people would ditch Leica in a heartbeat for a FF M mount digital rangefinder which doesn't cost $3k+
That's true. I know I would.
I'm still recovering from leica fever. But the more I hold that M3 in a store the less I feel the magic. That finder tho.
But digital and film Leicas can't even be talked about in the same sentences. It's like two different companies.
>>
>>2879034
Oh yeah and also, Hasselblad is wiping this out with X1D.
>>
>>2879034
>I mean Leica never was affordable. When the M3 came out it was way out of reach of 90% of photographers.
When the m3 came out is was equivalent to a 5d III in value you retard
>>
>>2878546
Kinda, yes. If it stays working, you'll likely be able to sell it for just as much.

>>2878601
2deep4me

>>2878615
>>2878625
In philosophy, Apple things are generally "dumbed down" to "just work" for the masses - they want almost EVERYONE to have Apple things.

For Leica, things are more about a dogged pursuit of quality and simplicity - but for a niche of emotionally connected enthusiasts who can't get the same experiences from the mass market stuff. Leica things (generally) require you to know a thing or two to operate them properly.

Hand an M to someone and say "take my picture" and people's heads explode.

People who can only distill a camera to MTF charts, read noise data, FPS and SNR graphs never "get" that different shooting experiences appeal to some people and big mass amrket brands could give a shit about user experiences.

>>2878624
The M9 was a pretty amazing achievement, paved the way for 35mm FF mirrorless cameras. The S series as well was worth noting in the MF world - predating what is certainly be a "democratization" of MF digital cameras.

>>2878682
Counter intuitive? Like "when the exposure meter has a left-pointing arrow - move the aperture or shutter speed dial to the left" or "if the focus patch isn't clear, you're not yet in focus?" or "Here, you can see outside the frame as you're composing"?

>>2878765
If you need to believe this to feel better about yourself, then fine. Transference is a funny thing but it works for some people.

>>2879034
The lenses are still wildly expensive (and keep up with their reputation) but now it' getting affordable to buy an S body if wanted. Pentax is really the elephant in the room.
>>
>>2879173
>emotionally connected enthusiasts who can't get the same experiences from the mass market stuff
You sound like a fucking used car salesman flogging an old Trabant

>If you need to believe this to feel better about yourself, then fine. Transference is a funny thing but it works for some people.
A butthurt used car salesman
>>
>>2878615
>Macs "just work" - in a draconian ecosystem you have no control over,

God damn I hate this ignorant meme. Macs use standard hardware interfaces (SATA; PCI; USB; FireWire; RAM slots; etc).

And Mac OS X is NOT locked down like iOS. You're not limited to an app store or prevented from modifying your system. It's not "free as in freedum" Linux, but it's no more locked down than Winshit. In fact...with Windows 10 and the forced upgrade fiasco...I would say the Windows OS is now more locked down.

The key thing is that officially your computer...not the peripherals, just the computer...has to be an Apple computer. But you know what? Apple doesn't really do that much to stop Hackintosh, and there are plenty of PC builds specified online if you want to build one.
>>
>>2879110
I wanted a digital Leica and lost my "fever" the second I held an M240. What a clunky and awkward camera, it feels like it's twice as thick and heavy as it should be. The RF is awful too, a dim little yellow patch that's barely usable, though maybe it'd be better out in sunlight.

Of course, it couldn't even compare in ridiculousness to the monstrosity that is their new mirrorless, whatever it was called. (SL?)
>>
>>2878615
Leica has great glass and old lenses fit on a lot of new bodies.

Simple and robust
>>
>>2879173
Most people wouldnt even know how to load film in an older one, not knowing you need a longer film leader for the takeup spool
>>
>>2880604
At least Leica Digital wasn't a fucking abomination like Contax's "N" Series was: New fucking lens mount, poor selection of optics. I wanted to make the jump but I hated this camera so I just shot with my Blad instead
>>
>>2881788
They have this amazing tool for recutting the film leads on the old style cameras. Very satisfying experience.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.