[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Colour noise Canon 70D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_0200-3.jpg (3 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0200-3.jpg
3 MB, 5472x3648
Hope its fine making a thread cause the stupid questions one is about to die.

I was taking my freshly bought Canon 70D (Kit lens 18-55 IS STM, should be completely new) for a spin and ended up scrambling to take this picture to catch the cyclist, which made me screw up the shutter speed underexposing the picture. I do expect some noise trying to recover it, but what worries me is all that color-noise you can see in the excerpt to the right, which i increased the exposure of in lightroom to make it more evident.Those bright pixels are all over the darker areas of the picture. Is this normal? If so, why is it making this much noise? because of underexposure fuckign with the sensor or something? Or did i somehow get ripped off and got a broken sensor or something.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 70D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.5 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:06:30 18:28:57
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length55.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: lightroom_2016-06-30_18-50-17.png (12 KB, 240x150) Image search: [Google]
lightroom_2016-06-30_18-50-17.png
12 KB, 240x150
Here is the histogram if it matters. I know shadows are clipped.
>>
Canon's sensor tech is pretty old. You'll always have trouble trying to recover anything shot on their sensors that's beyond 1 stop.
>>
>>2873233
Use the program modes next time, they are there for a reason. Aperture-, shutter priority, P mode etc...
Manual has its uses like panorama, long exposure etc... but it is cumbersome for everyday shooting.
>>
>>2873249
I like manual if I am in steady light. If I am at an even where there aren't drastic changes in lighting, or if it isn't glaring high noon sun outdoors then I'll fix the WB and my settings after checking a few shots and that has usually done me good. I still chimp every few dozen shots or when i have a minute to check the histogram and make sure all is kosher.

I should note though I'm not talking about professional "event photography" but if I'm shooting an outdoor food festival or a party or something as a hobbyist.
>>
>>2873257
It's okay to use the program modes, your camera's metering makes a great job setting a correct exposure, you can always adjust it to some degree in post. Dont't forget to set exposure compensation to -0.7 to protect the highlights.
Much better to get the shot in program than missing a lot because muh manual mode.
>>
>>2873257
>falling for the memeual
Shoot in a program mode or buy an all manual film camera, you fucking idiot. You are clearly incapable of shooting manual, not that there's any need to.

Also jack up the chroma noise reduction in LR.
>>
>>2873249
>>2873260
>>2873246
Thanks for the responses, oh and >>2873257 isn't even me lol.

I was shooting manual cause it's my first time with a DSLR for real, and it helps me think about what im doing so that i at some point get to know the elements of exposure by heart. I'm not expecting to get the best shots right now, just learning so that i can make them better and use the program modes confidently. If you're still there, my actual question was more about why the colour-noise-dots appear, but i guess it's just because it's underexposed and the sensor isn't great. And i guess you can handle it with noise reduction in lightroom; it's just that i dislike having to sacrifice clarity.
>>
>>2873295
Use aperture priority to control DOF, shutter priority to control motion (freeze or blur)
That's it really.
>>
>>2873295
It's noise. Your signal to noise ratio is low due to underexposure giving you lots of noise. Even in astro we go for maximum SNR with the ETTR method, google it up.
>>
>>2873312
>>2873313
You're both very right. Thanks!
>>
>>2873317
We are both the same.
>>
>>2873320
Me too!
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (42 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
42 KB, 1280x720
>>2873321
>>
>>2873233
Did you shoot raw? Even then, its a bit too underexposed for a proper recovery. The noise you point out is completely normal.

I don't think its a broken sensor.
>>
>>2873528
I did shoot raw. And yeah, i guess it was just heavily underexposed. Thanks for letting me know its normal!
>>
File: exposure.jpg (208 KB, 550x1413) Image search: [Google]
exposure.jpg
208 KB, 550x1413
OP, unless you know exactly what you're doing, don't jump straight into manual mode.

Like many Anons here have already posted, start by playing around with the programs modes. If you jump straight into manual mode, realize that you will miss a lot of shots.

Canon sensors aren't exactly known to be best for low-light or dynamic range, so learn to live with the limits.

Best and easiest way to control exposure is by using a flashgun/speedlite. I shoot 99.9% with one even with my 6D even in full daylight conditions. Just allows me to control lighting much more.

Pic related.
>>
>>2873871
Tbh I only shoot manual when the lighting absolutely needs it, or if I'm using manual flash.
>>
>>2873925
Manual allows for a more consistent roll and look so it's more streamlined especially for professional shooting (events, weddings etc.) But obviously you need to know what you're super fucked in the ass.
>>
>>2874003
>what you're doing or
CYKA BLYAT

Too early for me to be /p/osting on 4chan.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.