[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question about window/door/mirror reflections. I attempted to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: door-flyers01.jpg (310 KB, 999x642) Image search: [Google]
door-flyers01.jpg
310 KB, 999x642
Question about window/door/mirror reflections.
I attempted to take a photo of two door paper flyers, it was a bright day and my vision was slightly impaired from the sun. I tried to focus on the center of the two doors. I took two photos. When I got home I realized I was in the reflection of the door.
1: One photo has me in focus but the flyers are out of focus.
2: The second photo has the flyers in focus (not perfect) but my reflection is out of focus.
Both photos were shot at 85mm, f3.5. The only difference being shutter speed which would not matter. 1/125 and 1/160th.
If the flyers are on the same "plane" as the door glass along with the reflection why would one or the other be in or out of focus.
I can understand this working with light but how does depth come into play in a situation like this?
I never took a selfie in the mirror and this was and accidental selfie. I will post both photos, they are both 100% crop.
Can someone explain this or give me some insight into this?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 7.0
PhotographerRUSH
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)127 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:06:25 02:34:45
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length85.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width999
Image Height642
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
File: door-flyers02.jpg (306 KB, 999x605) Image search: [Google]
door-flyers02.jpg
306 KB, 999x605
This obviously is the other photo.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 7.0
PhotographerRUSH
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)127 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:06:25 02:37:28
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length85.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width999
Image Height605
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
>>2869837
A reflection is not a painting or poster.

In practical matters, your reflection is not on the same plane as the door, its focal plane is the same distance "behind" the door as you actually stand in front of.
>>
>>2869844
This.

Light doesn't just paint a reflection on a plane, it bounces from the window and travels the distance you stand from the window. If you simply focus on the window plane, you are focused in the flyers or the dirt in the window, but not the reflection because it's optically behind the glass.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.