[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /p/ reckon high-end camera phones will overtake DSLRs in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault (146).jpg (494 KB, 4096x2799) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (146).jpg
494 KB, 4096x2799
Does /p/ reckon high-end camera phones will overtake DSLRs in the near future?

I had a look at some unedited iPhone 6s shots and tried it myself, and I have to say I was very impressed at what can come out of such a little thing
>>
Probably not even though there's tripod mounts for iphones and that the autofocus is still getting better
>>
File: CMOS-Sensor-For-Apple.jpg (8 KB, 400x207) Image search: [Google]
CMOS-Sensor-For-Apple.jpg
8 KB, 400x207
>>2867004
Pretty impressive considering the actual size of the camera though
>>
Absolutely disgusting
>>
>>2866997
no. if we get good at making cell phone sized sensors then those techniques will carry over to making better apsc/35mm-sized sensors

phones are getting good so dedicated cameras are going to get fantastic
>>
For what purpose?

>General snapshits?
Already overtaken

>News photography?
Becoming more and more common, although still a while away before the big players fully jump on the smartphone bandwagon

>serious commercial work?
not in the near future, no
>>
>>2866997
In terms of physical quality of a shot and ease of use I'd say camera phones are already there. However when it comes to taking a photo of something in the distance, camera phones will never come close to the optical zoom of a dslr.
>>
Yes and no. For the average person, they may soon be good enough to replace a DSLR as so many people only look at holiday photos and the like on Facebook, Instagram or on phone screens.
Any pixel peepers and people who plan to print even at 6x4 will continue to use DSLR.
Something better than DSLR might come along but phones won't render them obsolete
>>
Physics says fuck no

lenses are massive for a reason, ask ajy sony shooter dangling a Goi Master lens from ther "compact" sony A77r222
>>
>>2867033
well in relation to the shit brick sized dslrs that lack stuff my phone can easily do (wi-fi, fps, stabilizer) phones have overtaken many cameras.
Not saying I would ever trade, but makes you wonder why camera manufacturers still have to sell you two SD slots and wifi as a feature and charge you $700 extra.
>>
>>2866997
No because camera phones are a pain in the ass to shoot with.

Unless they add grips and buttons to phones but at that point nobody would want it because it would stop being a proper modern phone.
>>
I don't care. I'll continue using my ILC because I like it a lot. Until phones have tripod mounts, large sensors, interchangeable lenses, [actually usable] raw support, hotshoes, and manual control dials, they won't overtake anything for me.

I couldn't care less if the resolution gets just as good, that won't make it as good of a camera.
>>
>>2867036
>>News photography?
>Becoming more and more common, although still a while away before the big players fully jump on the smartphone bandwagon

Already happened senpachi, look at the after game interviews of the NBA finals, bunch of people with smartphones and rode mics attached.
>>
>>2867140
That's just to record audio to write articles from you greasy slut.
>>
>>2866997
panasonic cm1.
everything else is shit.
>>
Camera companies are lazy. They think coming out with one or two improvements a year to stick in new models will still sell cameras. There's no innovation. Mirrorless cameras are slowly dribbling in, but DSLR's are basically dinosaurs. I'm with Canon because I got trapped with a bunch of lenses, and they have to be the worse as far as innovation. It's becoming a niche market.
>>
>>2867106
>well in relation to the shit brick sized dslrs that lack stuff my phone can easily do (wi-fi, fps, stabilizer) phones have overtaken many cameras.
Your phone really overtakes many cameras in taking pictures? N I C E

Let me know when you get 'dat sick leaf shutter and off camera flash senpai : ^ )
>>
>>2866997
It's not about the size of your camera, it's about the size of your lens.

For phones to perform like DSLR's they would need a DSLR sized lens.
Mirrorless cameras face the exact same problem.
>>
>>2867588
I quite like that Canikon doesn't change too much.

Many of the extra features only end up distracting you from taking pictures.
Aperture, shutter and ISO is everything you need.
>>
>>2867114

I have fairly unsteady hands. I finally taught myself how to hold a DSLR camera and video camera very well. Then I get asked to take a photo with a smartphone and that all goes down the drain. Fucking flat board camera phones.
>>
>>2867602
decent point. I have an Olympus xz-2, which I wish I knew how to work. It seems to have settings for everything.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (197 KB, 1200x819) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
197 KB, 1200x819
>>2867599
>>
>>2867106
>>2867592
>why camera manufacturers still have to sell you two SD slots and wifi as a feature and charge you $700 extra.
He has a point tho
>>
>>2867641
I never saw that camera before, but WEW; it sure is beautiful!
>>
>>2867474
I was just about to mention that. I almost bought myself one when they were on sale around xmas but decided $600 for a phone that was already a year old was a dumb idea.
>>
>>2866997
if humans decide

-beautiful is never being able to blur backgrounds behind a subject because their sensor is too small. Everything is in focus or ugly slightly-blurred noisy backgrounds (rather than creamy)

-don't care that phone focal lengths make human faces look like dogshit (portrait photography is done at 85mm+, iphone is 29mm which isn't even halfway there)

-zoom is suddenly unimportant, never need to take pictures of wild animals at a distance, only the tame house-cat.

Then you already have little reason to not use a phone for all your pictures. But as those 3 things are very important in photography, phone-sized sensors will never, ever be the pro tool.

And slapping a full-frame sensor and giant lens onto the back of a cellphone isn't feasible for a thin pocket gadget, so that'll never change without some unknown new mega-tech of the future.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2866997
This does scare me sometimes.
Took this on i phone today, the nat lighting, thought id see what phone could do

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 6 Plus
Camera Software9.3.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:06:24 12:47:33
Exposure Time1/682 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating32
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness8.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.15 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height2448
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2869813
What dead shell of a culture calls this trash 'food'?
>>
>>2869835
I may not be in culinary school m8, and granted those beans may be on the lardy side. But for a mexican restaurant in North Nevada, it's not half bad desu.
>>
>>2869835
Clearly a subhuman yurop troll who has never had proper Mexican fare.
>>
>>2867588
Sony has the best camera phone, arguably the best phone but no one carries them and you have to buy outaide your carrier and enable it.

1/2.3” 23 MP Exmor RS™ for mobile sensor, Hybrid AF 0.03 sec*, 5 x Clear Image Zoom, ISO 12800 Photo/3200 Video, SteadyShot™ with Intelligent Active Mode, 4K video recording
>>
>>2866997
>Does /p/ reckon high-end camera phones will overtake DSLRs in the near future?
2010 called
>>
>>2869838
>>2869843
Christ on a bike, I didn't expect anyone to jump up in defense of this...
And you went to a 'restaurant' for it?!
It's 4 different colours of hot slurm pumped onto a buritto with overcooked rice and grated lettuce as garnishes! It looks like dog vomit.
>>
>>2869869

2 edgy for me
>>
I think it might overtake eventually.
30 years is unpredictable for anyone.
And even just 10 years is a long time where lots of things can change.

But they are making very advanced mirrorless cameras right now which is supposed to slow down the taking over.
>>
File: 1.jpg (143 KB, 800x513) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
143 KB, 800x513
>>2869869
Some stuff just can't look good no matter how artsy you try to spice it up.
While other stuff look like natural gemstones without much effort.

That's just how food is. You lose out on so much good things is you only eat things that are works of art.
>>
>>2869980
Just like how ads oftentimes dont even use real food.
If they did, no one would buy it most of the time
>>
>>2869813
would devour everything but cheese lettuce and fucking orange. who the hell serves that shit on the same pl8. all the fags saying this looks disgusting have never had mexican food proper
>>
>>2870138
Right!
I ate the shit out of the orange though. That food was bomb.
>>
>>2870138
To be fair, it does look kind of yuki.
>>
>>2867036
>>News photography?
>Becoming more and more common, although still a while away before the big players fully jump on the smartphone bandwagon

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130530/NEWS06/130539987/chicago-sun-times-cuts-entire-photography-staff

This was three years ago. It doesn't say in the article, but since they're relying on reporters to take photos, most likely they're using their phones.
>>
the sensor is too small

curious to see what this dual lens shit produces though
>>
phones have surpassed decent quality. so more than that is not necessary or wanted by most people. I find it hard to justify a compact fuji for snapshitting when a phone's camera is just as good for the job, if not better.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.