[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Photoshop noob
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: unknown 51.jpg (530 KB, 2000x1428) Image search: [Google]
unknown 51.jpg
530 KB, 2000x1428
So I want to tone down the brightness from the window in this picture but I'm new to photoshop and I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to go about this without it looking "photoshopped".
I've used the brightness/contrast, levels, curves and exposures adjustments but they all leave it looking unnatural. Any help is appreciated
>>
>>2863290
Also Yes I looked on youtube for tutorials but couldn't find any that addressed this.
>>
Drop the highlights.
>>
>>2863293
the highlights are blown like me evryday 420lmoayoloswagget

Two photos here, at different exposures, could have been combined

you can only hope to make the image slightly better, but not great
>>
>>2863290

Do you have the raw file? You might be able to recover the blown highlights if you have the raw.
>>
File: edit.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1428) Image search: [Google]
edit.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1428
>>2863293
>>2863296
Yeah this is what happens every time I try to adjust any level be it highlights, brightness, saturation, curves ect. I over did it to show what I'm talking about but yeah every time I try to alter it the tones don't even out.
>>2863298
Sadly no, this is just a photo I found on google that I really liked

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2000
Image Height1428
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:06:14 16:47:58
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2000
Image Height1428
>>
>>2863313
You need a raw photo, not a jpeg.
>>
>>2863313

you found this on google and want to edit this .jpg for yourself?

dude, forget it.
>>
>>2863313

The only thing you could possibly hope to do with this is to try to merge it with a random landscape/cityscape to make it look like there's something interesting out the window.

Read up about layer masks.
>>
>>2863313
The highlights are completely white, there's no detail there that you can hope to recover in photoshop so at best all you can do is darken the blank white to a blank gray which only looks worse. A RAW file may have had slightly more highlight range to recover, but probably not much. A jpg definitely does not have anything to recover there.

That's called a blown highlight and that's why you don't want to overexpose digital photos. Digital cameras can retain a whole bunch of detail in dark areas that are seemingly all black, but they are not good at retaining detail in highlights.

Also why are you even editing someone else's photos? Just take your own and don't fuck up the highlights.
>>
>>2863338
It's just a wallpaper that I saved, I'm doing this for myself.
Again please excuse my ignorance I am a huge noob at this but I want to learn, why are .jpg's or png's so hard to edit? What's difference between them and a raw photo?
>>
>>2863396
jpegs are a lossy form of compression
whereas a RAW file would retain details as captured by a camera's sensor, the jpeg sees it as being white and discards any useful information
>>
>>2863486
Oh, well thanks for the info guys!
>>
File: 1465946057791.jpg (45 KB, 1000x714) Image search: [Google]
1465946057791.jpg
45 KB, 1000x714
>>2863290
wers de problam?
>>
>>2863791
you somehow photoshoped a window?
>>
>>2863816
obviously
>>
>>2863816
No, he first converted the jpeg into .pcx, and then the pcx to raw to work with. It's not that difficult
>>
>>2863290
If it helps your fantasy, her name is Ashley.
>>
>>2864982
ashley what??
>>
>>2863290
i'd eat those cherries
>>
>>2864986
Madison
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.