[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid Question Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: 12194657033_1d4fc68fa0_z.jpg (72 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
12194657033_1d4fc68fa0_z.jpg
72 KB, 640x480
Old one is 'bout dead
>>2844436

Ask away, heathens.
>>
I have around $875 USD to spend on a Canon lens, I'm looking to use it to make short films, so I'm thiiiinking 35mm prime. Any suggestions?
>>
>>2861529
Using a 60D if it makes a difference to ya
>>
>>2861528
https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-35mm-F1-4-Lens-Canon/dp/B00A35X6NU/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

fuck i'm about to buy this, do i pull the trigger?
>>
What exactly is a lens hood for? protection from rain?
>>
>>2861615
Protection from lens flare, and scratching the front element if you are clumsy.
>>
>>2861618
Thanks, would it be redundant to use a lens hood with a uv filter?
>>
is there a way to simulate long exposure in-camera in a 5dii?
I saw the multi exposure video but I can seem to find it on 5dii, any other method?

I can get magic lantern if needed

>>2861615
Light flare, rain; sure a little.
>>
>>2861620
not sure, but why don't you already have magic lantern anyway? so many useful features.
>>
>>2861621
Never needed anything else than the stock features desu
>>
>>2861620
Why would you want to simulate a long exposure? Why not just do one?
>>
>>2861585
>>2861529
Gear thread, only indirectly related to actual photography
>>2861619
Yes
>>2861620
I need to know >>2861633 to give you an answer
>>
>>2861633

If you stack images, you average noise and end up with a much cleaner image.

You also probably don't have an ND filter, so while long exposure at night is easy, it's much more troublesome during the day. You can stack a bunch of 1/15s images and get the same effect. It also offers more control in the post process.
>>
Under skilled hands, which smartphone produces the highest-quality (non raw) photos?
>>
>>2861650
I do have an nd filter. Rather than saying "simulated long exposure" should have just said image stacking.
>>
>>2861685
Most modern iPhone
>>
First timer on /p/. I had two questions I wanted to ask.

First, I am thinking about getting a Nikon D1500 for $150 off craigslist. It apparently has very, very little use on it. I just need a basic camera to take random pictures of shit. I'm not going to be using it professionally. Is this a good deal?

Second question. I wanted to make some light boxes. I have quite a few lengths of LED strips that I wanted to use. Only problem is that they are the "cool white" sort of white, where there is a cold or bluish hue. Is there a way to cancel that out with a filter over the light box? What color(s) should I try?
>>
>>2862038
1) Yes, it's fine.

2) If they're wide spectrum LEDs that put out all the colors of light (I doubt it) with just a blue-ish tint, you can calibrate the camera very very easily to account for it. on the other hand, if they're cheap LEDs that ONLY put out blue-ish light, you can correct it to white, but you will still get really weird results because when you take a photo of a red thing, there's no red lighting hitting it, so it's going to look crazy and bad.
>>
>>2862051
Naw, the LEDs are marine/automotive quality. I doubt they are full or wide spectrum.

These are the LED strips: http://www.tecniqinc.com/products/area-accent/E41-Flexible-Strip-Accent-Area-Surface-Mount-Bright-LED-Light.php

They are supposed to be very high quality. At least for automotive grade LEDs. I have probably eight or ten feet of the stuff.

After reading what you said about the colors that actually makes sense about the red light and a red object. Maybe I'll try a filter and just not photograph red things.

I'll contact the seller about the camera this evening. If I go take a look at it, is there anything I should look for in particular?
>>
>>2861529
get a 24-105 if youre doing video
>>
>>2861685
iPhone and make sure to have extreme amounts of light.

Phones are only decent if shooting from 6am-2pm
>>
>>2861650
Who doesn't have an ND filter? Besides I don't think you can do that in camera with canshit
>>
>>2861690
sorry mate but that is wrong

>Nexus 6p
>HTC10
>LG G5

all much better
>>
Where can I find those little triangular metal pieces that go on the sides of film cameras to hold your neck strap at?
>>
>>2862323
They are called split rings, typically circular, so just google "triangular split ring" and you should find something
>>
I recently got a 5D Mkii, but the top LCD is off, the backlight works and there are no scratches or marks anywhere on the camera so I don't think it's broken. Is there some way to turn the top LCD on/off?
>>
>>2862327
>I never knew these had a name before

Found what I needed. Thank you!
>>
Did/do you guys experience anxiety carrying a camera in public?
>>
>>2861619
Not really. Filters (generally) increase flares, lens hoods (generally) decrease it.
>>
>>2862922
Carrying film, none. Say what you say but a sixties rangefinder in a leather half-case is a conversation starter. Ignorants label you hipster scum and don't feel the need to confront you.

Dslr makes me a little more self-aware but I'm not sure what people think of it. I have never been confronted except in a hillybilly bar in the country where I photographed a concert for laughs and the town drunk told me "so you're taking PICTURES?? of PEOPLE IN HERE??" But his girlfriendy came to rescue and while they argued I split back to photographing.
>>
>>2862922
Nope. I'm an adult
>>
File: 1465708533947.jpg (97 KB, 520x600) Image search: [Google]
1465708533947.jpg
97 KB, 520x600
>>2862936
>leather half-case
>>
File: 5479699288_63f3783444.jpg (182 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
5479699288_63f3783444.jpg
182 KB, 500x500
Haven't used film since I was a kid, would like to start again with pic related. What should I know about it? Are the similar-looking models of other brands worth it? I heard about the Yashica, cheaper options but are they any good?

I know it's more gear-related but I feel stupid and I'm afraid of gearfags.
>>
>>2862957
I have Yashica SLR's and rangefinders and they're great. So I have assumed the Yashica TLR (twin lens reflex) are good quality too.

If you have a quality vendor of second-hand film cameras in your area you should stop by and ask questions. They're there to help you. Also they probably have just the right thing for you.

If not, ebay search "TLR film camera" or something similar and google the camera models you bump into. That will give you a good overall sense of what to expect.

But in short, Rollei and Yashica should both be extremely suitable for almost anyone TLR affixed.
I would go and say the cheapest you find are probably cheap plastic ancient soviet cameras. They are cameras, yeah. Don't expect anything else from them. But if you want to touch the ice with a stick yes they work.
>>
What is a meme camera or a meme lens or a meme
>>
>>2862962
Thanks for the answer, I guess that I could simply start with a Yashica and get a Rolleiflex if I see a good offer.

Also I currently live in quite a remote location so I can't really develop film, hopefully it'll be fixed soon but could it be possible to use a scanner to get the pictures?
>>
>>2862967
You could develop black and white yourself and scan it with an Epson V500 or V600, it's not really hard and not that expensive
>>
>>2862967
>>2862977
black and white development is a piece of cake. In eurpe, order from macodirect.de a few bw films, kodak d-76 powder developer (mixed with water yourself to make the developer solution - this iss cheaper or then just be lazy and order liquid concentrate developer), stop bath (or use vinegar) and some fix like the ilford brand and also a patterson developing tank.

it sounds like a lot but the up-front cost just is what it is, the learning curve is non-existant. Film costs money, that's what you get.

Developing film:
1. go into a pitch black dark room. If your bathroom door isn't light (water) sealed, take a big bed sheet and hang it from the top of the door, then stuff it thru from the cracks from both sides of the door and close. If the blanket isn't long enough to cover the whole lenght of the door, stuff a doormat or anything else in the bottom crack. I'm really walking you thru this - really, you just need a pitch black dark room.

2. In the room you will have the exposed film, scissors, the development tank with the locking middle lid and the tanks film spiral. in the dark room you can now open the film wide and insert it to the spiral as is instructed in the manual. when the whole film is in the spiral, put it in the tank and close the middle lid. The tank is now insensitive to light as long as it remains closed. You can turn on the lights at this point.

>cont.
>>
>>2862978

3. In the bottom of the tank or in the manual it will tell you how much developer you must pour in the tank for one roll of film. For this you need something to meter the liquid amount with. Pour the developer in to the tank and start a timer in your phone or whatever simultaniously. In the film packaging or on that films manufacturers website there will be a list of developers and the times at which they should be developed. For instance, I shoot mostly Ilford HP5+ and develop in Kodak D-76 1+0 (1 part developer and no water - the alternative is 1+1 where half is water and half is developer solution) so the package tells me to develop for 7½ minutes.

4. for the first ten seconds, agitate the tank, then on every full minute, agitate again for ten seconds. It's not that crucial if it's a second late or so. Not for you it won't be at least. Also, the chemicals should ideally be 20C of temperature but the more important aspect is that all chemicals including final rinse water are at least somewhat same temperature. I simply keep my chemicals in room temperature and don't care, I just use them as they are and try to guesstimate the water temperaure by hand. I should be adjusting the development times accordingly to the higher temperature but fuck it. If you don't, over- or under-exposure might/will happen.

5. when the time is full (again, my case 7½ minutes) pour the developer down the drain or alternatively store for later use if your developer can be reused, then quickly pour the stop bath in you have already metered earlier. agitate a few times and let sit while you prepare the fix bath.

>cont
>>
>>2862980

5. meter the right amount of fix solution, then pour the stop bath out of the tank (this can be reused), pour the fix bath in and start the timer. Fixing times are not that exact anymore. 2-5 minutes with a rapid fixer like ilford fixer is fine. I fix my films for 5 minutes because I have some random fix bath that didn't come with instructions and because there isn't "too long fixing times" for film (for paper, it's another story.) Agitate like you care. when time's up, pour fix bath out (can be reused).

7. final rinse is usually prefered to be done under running water but I save water by filling the with the amount of developer solutions we used earlier, then agitate 5 times, pour out, fill, agitate 10 times, pour out, agitate 20 times, pour out, then open the tank (your film is now developed and can be handled in light) and rinse the spiral under running water for <1 minute. rinse your equipment. Also i forgot to say always rinse your equipment between chemicals, except for the tank when you pour in the stop bath in to the tank.

8. take the film out and hang out to dry. it takes a good 20 minutes very minimum. as long as you can is good. you'll now when it's dry. wash the workspace and the rest of the equipment andput out to dry.

And that's that. 120 film is probably easy scanned with any digital camera since the film is so big. use a tripod and backlit flash with softbox or improvied equivalent.
>>
is a nikon d3000 a good camera, especially for a beginner?
>>
>>2863010
Yes, it's just fine. Lenses are more important than bodies, but it depends a lot on what you want to shoot as well.
>>
File: NikonFE.jpg (23 KB, 1136x639) Image search: [Google]
NikonFE.jpg
23 KB, 1136x639
I was going through some of my Grandfathers things trying to figure out what all he has and what we're going to do with it when he passes and I found a Nikon FE put up in a closet. It's in great shape, he says he bought it new and only used it a handfull of times, but there are a few specs of something on the sensor. Local camera shop wont touch film cameras, what would my next best avenue be for getting it cleaned? I took a Q-tip and very lightly brushed the dust off of the mirror and sensor. Also, There seems to have been some foam pads at the top of the body cavity, but they dry rotted and fell out. Do I need to get those replaced before I try to use the camera? Pic is of the black spots looking through the viewfinder
>>
File: Whats this thing.jpg (89 KB, 1000x812) Image search: [Google]
Whats this thing.jpg
89 KB, 1000x812
What's this thing for?
>>
>>2863037
>I took a Q-tip and very lightly brushed the dust off of the mirror and sensor.
>dust off of the mirror and sensor.
>mirror and sensor.
>sensor
>Nikon FE
>>
>>2863044
Hey, I posted in the "Stupid Questions thread" I don't know anything about this.
>>
>>2863037
>foam pads
Yes, you need to get that replaced. They stop the mirror from slapping itself to pieces when it hits the body. Additionally, there will probably have been a bunch of foam around the outside of the film door. That also needs to be replaced with either more foam or wool.
>>
File: nikon_l35af.jpg (46 KB, 432x287) Image search: [Google]
nikon_l35af.jpg
46 KB, 432x287
flash doesn't work on my nikon af l35, it pops up but doesn't flash
max ISO settable on this camera is 400
i' m going to use it at night
my stupid question is:

if a force the flash down, camera is going to understand that flash won't work and it's gonna shot with the slowest shutter speed possibile or will shot with flash setup?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot A50
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 7.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution100 dpi
Vertical Resolution100 dpi
Image Created2003:04:12 08:37:47
Shutter Speed1/20 sec
Lens Aperturef/2.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.24 m
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length4.31 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width432
Image Height287
>>
>>2863053
It's probably either going to throw an error code or refuse to fire altogether OR it'll just keep going albeit underexposing like crazy.
>>
>>2861528
I've got a Yongnuo 560 with the internal 2.4GHz receiver.

Can I optically wireless trigger it if it's sitting in reverse facing umbrella? Do I need to shill out the extra cashola for a 2.4GHz trigger unit on top of my K-5?
>>
>>2863064
it shots even if I hold the finger on the luminosity sensor
i' m thinking to try it with a expired ektar 1000 and setting asa to 400, but i have no idea with the result
what do you think?
>>
What is physically different about crop-only lenses (like Nikon DX)? Are they smaller in diameter than 35mm/FF lenses?
>>
I'm looking to buy a cheap decent camera for filming stuff. Any recommendations?
I considered going to /tv/ to ask this but then actually went on /tv/ and realised; no.
>>
>>2863109
The lenses are slightly smaller and lighter, and the image circle is only big enough to cover an APS-C sensor.
>>
File: Capture.png (54 KB, 292x235) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
54 KB, 292x235
>>2861528
Why is the lens with less range in terms of it's zoom capabilities cheaper?
I'm very new.
>>
>>2863162
Oops. I got this the wrong way around. The 24-105 seems more versatile but is cheaper than the 24-70.
Am I misunderstanding something?
>>
Is there a repository of good photoshop actions somewhere out there? I just had a HD failure and lost all of mine.
>>
>>2863162
>>2863165

The Canon 24-105 is very poor optically.
It also comes as a kit lens, so it's mass produced and the 2nd hand market is flooded with them.
It's actually still hugely overpriced.

Don't know anything about the 24-70, but I assume it's better quality.

Either way, you'll want the Sigma 24-105 instead - it's excellent.
>>
>>2863162
>>2863165
Longer zoom range is something that the optical engineers have to trade off something else in order to get. 24-70 is a common pro standard zoom, and the reason it's kept to that fairly short ~3x zoom range is that that's about the limit of how much zoom you can get while keeping a high level of image quality and not sending the price too high. (the standard telephoto, a 70-200, has a just-under-3x range for the same reasons) This is also why prime lenses are still made and bought.

So basically the 24-70 is more expensive because its better, and less zoom helps it to be better. The 24-105 sacrifices some quality to gain versatility and and a lower price.
>>
>>2863174
>>2863175
Thanks. I'll check out that Sigma and weigh up whether or not I need that extra zoom
>>
>>2863046
It's a film camera, google it up. There is no sensor in a film camera. The digital sensor in a digital camera is what replaces a film strip as means of capturing light for developing pictures of.
>>
>>2863074
Or set iso 100. Who knows? Go figure, literally do.
>>
>>2863109
>>2863156
Also the closest-to-camera lens element can be placed closer to the focal plane because the mirror is smaller. This is why EF-S mount lenses can not be physically fit into full frame Canons although the mount is essentially the same.

I bet they would have limited that even if this wasn't the case but I bet then we'd see mods of EF-S lenses which can be fitted to EF-mount cameras that just produce a too small image circle. That would be cool.
>>
>>2862966
I need to understand:
>What is a meme camera or a meme lens or a meme
>>
>>2863194

A meme camera is a camera (or other purchase) someone buys because it is "trending" on the Internet, not because they know why it is the best camera. The implication is that such trendy items are actually of low quality.

"Film is a meme" == "you only want to shoot film because some girl you want to bang has film photos on her shitty Instagram", for example
>>
>>2861528
How do you think of things to shoot? I mean, snapshots are obvious, but the shoots with a clear purpose, how do you think of them? I often run out of ideas when I'm doing a lot of photography.
>>
File: IMG_9770-Modifier.jpg (337 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9770-Modifier.jpg
337 KB, 1000x750
>>2863224
By walking past things along the road one way, and picking them up on the return.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 60D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.6 (Macintosh)
PhotographerFeldspath
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:06:14 23:11:16
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length100.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2863197
Cheers
>>
>>2863224
I shot a whole series of the rapids in the city I live in for the summer. I just took like a triptych kinda idea first but then I kept finding more to shoot and ended up with 30+ photos.
Also I often think of series' when walking past something and stash my ideas for later use.

Thing to keep in mind is you should always photograph something that interests you and then ponder on what interests you in it and why exactly you could portray it interestingly and then most importantly, how would you do that.
>>
Why is there f/1.8, f/1.4, f/1.2, but not f/1.0 ?

Would a 1.0 ratio be impossible to build?
>>
>>2863224
Step One: Travel to somewhere you don't normally go, bringing your camera along.

>>2863239
No. It has been built. Canon used to make a 50/1.0. They also had a 50/0.95 for a rangefinder mount long ago. Leica made a 50/1.0 and now makes a 50/0.95, which is famous for being outrageously expensive, even by Leica standards. I think there's also a third-party mirrorless lens or two that's f/0.95 (which is like a sixth of a stop faster than f/1.0, they just do that so the number can start with a zero and make people say "whoa!") Zeiss made a 50mm f/0.7 lens for NASA, which was later used as a cine lens by Stanley Kubrick. That's a stop faster than f/1.0 and two stops faster than f/1.4.

The reason you seldom see it is that as you make lenses faster, it gets harder and harder to make them acceptably sharp and free from CA and other aberrations. Also it makes them incredibly demanding in the focusing department, because the depth of field gets so thin. There was more call for it in the film days because there was a limit to how high of a sensitivity you could get, but with modern digital sensors there's just less need for that one last stop, especially since it was so expensive to get there. They were and are, when made, "halo products", for a lens maker to beat their chest and say "We're #1! Look what we can build!"

I read somewhere that the physical limit is somewhere around f/0.5 (two stops faster than f/1.0) for a lens in air, due to the particular refractive index air has. I can't remember where I heard that though, so don't quote me, that might be wrong.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1465943491999.jpg (38 KB, 905x600) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1465943491999.jpg
38 KB, 905x600
How is something like this shot with a digital camera? Sorry, I'm fairly new but all my portraits come out looking very... I guess clear for lack of a better description
>>
File: Naked Lollipop.jpg (794 KB, 1280x1854) Image search: [Google]
Naked Lollipop.jpg
794 KB, 1280x1854
Where is the /p/ Photography album for 2015? Is it out yet?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image Width2413
Image Height3508
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2011:04:17 15:18:33
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1600
Image Height2318
>>
File: 1359175996178.jpg (92 KB, 500x711) Image search: [Google]
1359175996178.jpg
92 KB, 500x711
>>2863269

>Be 50mm
>Be wide open, (f/1.7 or f/2)
>Be close to your subject

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Pixel CompositionRGB
Vertical Resolution1816 dpi
Image Created2012:04:27 12:43:17
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.75 m
Metering ModePattern
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length45.00 mm
Image Width3438
Image Height4891
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2863269
Post-production. Get Photoshop or Lightroom.
>>
>>2863277
so it's just color settings in post? that bokeh looks pretty soft
>>
>>2863270
No. Iggy's an ass.
Who is that semen demon btw?
>>
>>2863269

What specifically are you trying to imitate? The blurry background behind the subject? Something else?
>>
>>2863295
the shadows/color profile i guess. and that kind of bokeh
>>
>>2863270
>>2863286

lol 1/2 way to 2017, no 2015 book
>>
>>2863297

The bokeh, it's just shooting at a wide stop like 1.8. You'll need a prime lens for that probably. Your zoom lens that came with the camera probably doesn't go wider than 3.5.

The colors and shadows, just play around with "levels" and "curves" until it looks right I guess.
>>
>>2863297
there are lightroom presets that will get you close quickly
>>
File: IMG_3910s.jpg (359 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3910s.jpg
359 KB, 2000x1333
Magic Lantern for the everyday enthusiast: Yes or No?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 1100D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image Width4272
Image Height2848
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2015:04:03 21:30:40
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length96.00 mm
Image Width2000
Image Height1333
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>2863567
mainly for video, but it doesn't hurt having more control. Time lapses are neat.

Also histograms
>>
>>2863582
Focus peaking is nice as well.
>>
Are labs okay developing rolls w/ nudity?
>>
>>2863769
Hi, lab worker here. Yes we're fine with it. Adults have seen tits before, trust me.
>>
How to properly handheld my camera straight?
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 640x803) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 640x803
How to apply borders like this photo.
Is there's an app for this or what?

CommentScreenshot
Image Width640
Image Height803
>>
>>2863844
Photoshop - Change Canvas Size - Increase by 30%.
>>
File: frontalview.jpg (45 KB, 452x300) Image search: [Google]
frontalview.jpg
45 KB, 452x300
>>2863793
What? If you're asking how you should hold your camera, then
>Pic related

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern1082
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2008:12:10 00:06:44
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/2.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
CommentChew SC
Image Width452
Image Height300
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2863846
Thanks for the response anon
But never used Photoshop I only use Lightroom. Is there any alternatives for this?
>>
File: image.png (718 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
718 KB, 640x1136
>>2863846
I mean I just want my feed to look like this.
>>
>>2863844
SquareIt is the app I use
>>
>>2863856
I can't find it anywhere
>>
>>2863861
Are you on iOS? Try squarepic or something, just google square image app and you'll get hundreds of apps to try
>>
>>2863863
Yeah I am on iOS. That square method I already know but, it is about that frame size man like this
>>
I know this is a vague question, but does anyone have any tips for using the viewfinder with glasses? I'm far too nearsighted to use the viewfinder without it, and with my glasses it's really hard to get my eye close enough to get a good image too. What I'm forced to do instead is take all my pictures on the camera screen, which makes it difficult to get a good impression of focus.
>>
>>2863948
What camera do you use? I wear glasses all the time and have no problems with DSLR viewfinders. I don't use my x10 viewfinder often but that's because the camera is so small and the viewfinder is just an ovf
>>
>>2863948
What you're talking about is called Eye Relief, and it's better on some cameras than on others. Generally a large bright viewfinder will be better, so a full frame camera might help you. There are also eyepiece magnifiers you can get for many cameras. I had one for my 5Dmk2.
>>
Alright, so I'm considering borrowing a camera from my uni, but I don't want to just go out and not know my shit before I waste time and hard drive space. So here are my questions: 1) Is there any beginner reading I might need to delve into before taking the thing out? 2) What makes a good photo? What makes a bad one? 3) How do I not look like an idiot in public with the thing? I see many people swinging around some very expensive equipment they probably don't know how to use, how do I avoid this, what is the proper demeanor?
>>
Why should I use manual settings instead of automatic settings
>>
What would a purple filter lens be used for, it came with my camera when I bought it.
>>
>>2864713
For flash work.

If the light is crazy and is confusing the meter, or changing direction and intensity dramatically, and you don't want the camera to account for it.

When you need more than your camera's maximum EV compensation

>>2864716
If it's a hard purple filter... I'm not sure. Something creative most likely, or potentially for its affects on greens for landscape B&W shooting?
More likely it's a gentle purple color, and it's actually an IR Cut filter.
>>
>>2863224
I like to photograph my cat
>>
>>2863855
Try not to use apps to add borders -- they really hurt the image quality in my experience.

Resize to 1080px on longest edge. Then change canvas size in Photoshop. If you don't have Photoshop, look for an alternative and test quality with a dummy insta account.
>>
>>2861585
>https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-35mm-F1-4-Lens-Canon/dp/B00A35X6NU/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t
why is that lens so expensive?
>>
Why the fuck don't mirrorless cameras close their shutters when you take the lens off?
>>
Are capped shutters on a FED/Zorki easy to fix?
>>
>>2865823
A) $900 isn't that expensive for a lens
B) it's a 1.4
>>
>>2863128
Red Raven

>>2863167
I think nobody does even understand your question

>>2864708
RTFM

>>2866015
Digital sensors don't use a physical shutter.
>>
>>2866096
o wow, stop posting pls.
>>
>>2866096
>Digital sensors don't use a physical shutter.

You fucking wot m8? Of course they do.
>>
>>2866096
>digital sensors don't use a physical shutter

sorry but you're completely wrong. while it's true that many small compacts and other cheaper cameras use an electronic shutter, almost every professional camera uses a real shutter. Haven't you raised the mirror of a DSLR? There's a shutter behind it like, any other camera.

>>2866015
Mirrorless cameras store a collapsible shutter above the sensor. The camera works be reading directly off the sensor, so the shutter is raised at all times, except for right before you take a photo. I imagine the reason it doesn't automatically close is probably because so many people adapt lenses. If it did close when no lens was detected, every adapter would have to have a readable CPU, or you'd have to menu dive in order to turn the option off.
>>
>>2866101
>comparing apples and oranges

sensors always read out data for a specific amount of time. that is the equivalent to a shutter on film. there is no mechanical shutter needed for.
every other thing is engineering and the try to increase image quality, not the principle.

and you assumed reason is bullshit. it would be easy to trig the mech. shutter by ANYthing which is on the bajonett.

also wtf, I never saw any mechanical shutter behind a mirror or on a mirrorless, but i won't call bullshit because i couldn't be shure for all cams.
>>
>>2866105
>also wtf, I never saw any mechanical shutter behind a mirror or on a mirrorless

You are a retard, stop posting pls.
>>
>>2866117
sigh
>>
>>2866125
Instead of sighing, go and educate yourself on how a camera works. Then you won't look like a complete bellend next time you comment on something basic.
>>
>>2866173
ok, now show evidence for your rediculous claim, you son of your father's anus. I call you're a trolling bastard, and/or you read somewhere something about mech. shutters in digital photog. which you misunderstood completely. *shudder*
>>
>>2866280
Here you go Einstein. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=DSLR+shutter

lmgtfy.com/?q=Mirrorless+shutter
>>
>>2866280
literally every mirrorless csc and DSLR has a mechanical shutter. you are a fucking moron.
>>
>>2866288
>>2866303
ah, you retards are talking about old sensors which need to be darkenen while reading out, because they cannot collect all data simultanously. ohhhhh, you are so 1998.

>obsolete technology
>I'm the moron
kek
>>
>>2866311
What are you talking about dickhead. What cameras dont use a shutter?
>>
>>2866313
>using my mirrorless
>click button
>omg, shooting noise comes from a speaker
>mfw mirrorless cams can shoot without any noise
>butwhy.pdf
>>
>>2866314
I honestly think you are retarded. If your camera doesn't have a shutter, it is an immense heap of shit meant for bargain basement consumer use.
>>
>>2866323
I don't see how a mirrorless would benefit from a shutter in any way if the sensor is always on and that is the way to review the images beforehand.
I mean, once the tech is advanced enough.
Certainly an electronic sensor is essentially easy to just set to gather light for a certain very finetuned period of time? That would be a huge cost-efficency leap, when the one moving part of the camera would become obsolete.
Tho seriously then mirrorless cameras are fucking utter shit, I couldn't even begin to think of staring at an EVF all day long, jesus.
It is literally a cost-saving method of omitting the pentaprism and the flipping mirror.
Jesus, it's like you're shooting a point n shoot but they crammed the screen into an even smaller space.
Fuji is the only company atm combining the benefits of both optical and elecctronic viewfinders. I've yet to see how they've suceeded but I've heard good things and that is my preferable future for next-gen viewfinders in DSLR systems.
>>
>>2866326

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3800626

Fuck me, do none of you have Google or something?
>>
>>2866328
No need when you do it for me
Aso I don't personally care cause I hate mirrorless.
>>
>>2866335
>No need when you do it for me
I'm glad we can agree that you don't know shit and you're unpleasant to be around.

>Aso I don't personally care cause I hate mirrorless.
You still have shutters in every DSLR you dumb dickhead

I fucking love how you're still fighting this
>cameras don't have shutters
>cameras definitely don't have shutters because I've not seen one
>well maybe cameras do have shutters, but they're pointless
>OK so cameras do have shutters, and they have a purpose, but It's irrelevant now because I don't like cameras.

7/10 troll attempt
>>
>>2866350
I'm not even the earlier guy
I'm only >>2866326 and >>2866335
>>
>>2866362
You are both retarded then. Do you own a piece of rope and a tree?
>>
>>2866364
>Do you own a piece of rope and a tree?
>own a tree
Gaia owns trees, you faggot.
>>
Stupid Question: I have Pentax camera with pixel-shift. Is it supported by any RAW software or does it need to specifically supported? I tried three different software and I'm .. still not sure it even works.
>>
>>2866326
Even P&S and phone cameras have (leaf) shutters.

Electronic shutters are still shit.
Maybe once the megapixel war is over they could one day make good electronic shutters, but not now.
>>
>>2866390
And to explain the confusion:

For video/live view the camera only needs to read 2-8MP off the sensor, and only at 1/30s or so.
For an electronic 2nd curtain it would have to read a full resolution image at 1/2000s or even faster.

Electronic 1st curtain is easier because it only has to clear the sensor, not read any data off it.
>>
File: qvxaxyvnvistyq3zvva7.jpg (94 KB, 940x873) Image search: [Google]
qvxaxyvnvistyq3zvva7.jpg
94 KB, 940x873
>>2866101
>If it did close when no lens was detected, every adapter would have to have a readable CPU, or you'd have to menu dive in order to turn the option off.

That occurred to me, but all they'd have to do is put a little switch in the mount that detects when any lens or adapter is clicked in. It wouldn't require any kind of CPU contacts or anything, just something that would be depressed when a lens was in the mount.

The only other thing I can think of is that shutters are pretty fragile, and maybe they feel like a closed shutter is more likely to be damaged while changing lenses than a bare sensor is.

And in response to the other posts, yes, modern mirrorless cameras absolutely have mechanical shutters. Here's a photo of the one from the A7SII. I can't find a picture of a Fuji shutter but they also definitely have them, in fact the one in my X-Pro2 was a pretty big deal in Fuji's marketing.
>>
>>2866490
>the one in my X-Pro2 was a pretty big deal in Fuji's marketing.
Aren't they all made by Copal or Seiko anyway?
>>
>>2861650
If you're already constrained by not having an ND filter I assume you're on the lowest ISO possible, so noise isn't really a concern...

There are some cool effects you can only get with image stacking tho (for example, dotted car light trails rather than a single continuous strip).
>>
>>2866390
>Even P&S and phone cameras have (leaf) shutters.
Phone camers don't have shutters.
>>
So I took my first picture of a random street guy from the front today. The guy immediately ran up and asked me if I just took a picture of him. I said hell yeah and he started beating my head with his fist while I ran off. He didn't follow me. I was in one of the poor areas of my city, which I find far more interesting to photograph. What should I do in future situations like this, and what can I do to avoid it? I'm barely 18 and failry scrawny.
>>
So my girlfriend got one of those polaroid 300 cameras, and I don't know shit about polaroid, which is why I'm posting this in here. The film is fine in the cartridge, it turns on fine, the flash works and all, and when you take the picture, it makes all the noises like it just took a picture, but nothing ejects out. There's new batteries, everything seems right in it. I literally have no idea what the problem could be.
>>
>>2866638
Take steroids, join a kick boxing gym.
>>
>>2866638

was the guy a negro?
>>
>>2866638
>Be sneaky
>Don't shoot people who have this mugging look
>Don't shoot alone in the poor part a town, wtf?
>Learn self defense or sprint
>>
Anyone have that pasta about the 50mm lens?

>wildlife photography zoom with your feet
>astrophotgraphy zoom with your feet
>>
I'm feeling a bit burnt out on photography and I was wondering if someone could think of a theme for a future shoot since I can't really think of anything interesting at the moment
>>
What causes vignetting? Watching a lynda video with Paul Taggart and his pictures have a lot of vignetting
>>
>>2866709
He was white trash. Kinda hot
>>
>>2866847
still life, do something spooky
>>
How do you guys deal with strong mixed lighting in street photography? I took a photo of a street vendor and he was under a very bright yellow bulb, while the other bulbs around were blue-ish. The yellow color cast was so ridiculous I couldn't correct it fully in post using just HSL sliders and curves. I had to literally bring it into Photoshop and paint over it, because half of the image had no color data other than yellow on it. I never had to do this before to correct color casts.

>inb4 turn it to b&w and ignore it
>>
>>2868575
there is nothing you could do about this. the only solution is to shoot raw and output then several versions with different white-balance. combine then in your editing-software.
>>
Am I an idiot if I buy a Ricoh GR when I already have an X100S?

Should I look into something different?
>>
>>2861585
Worth it. Fantastic glass. I find it is my go to video lens and lifestyle portrait
>>
File: a (120).jpg (119 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
a (120).jpg
119 KB, 500x375
>>2868689

does anyone know of any fashion blogs to follow? or regularly updated sites with fashion photos?

If at least a magazine,
I would like to learn more about posing models
>>
>>2868723
accidental reply

and to be more specific, I am looking for images done by professionals , examples of good posing would be nice
>>
>>2868575
process the image black&white
>>
>>2868686

If you can pick one up for around the same price as the xf 18mm, why not?
>>
Hi guys, odd question:

I have a very shitty film compact that I want to do something fun with. I was thinking of mounting one of those crappy wide angle lenses you get for phones to the lens. Diffraction etc is not an issue since the lens on the camera is already shit.

My problem is this: the camera focuses separately from the lens, using an infrared system common in point and shoot film cameras. If I add the lens to the front of the camera, I expect this to affect focus in some way. The infrared system will shoot as if the lens is in its normal state.

How can I fix this?
>>
>>2868723
I had to help myself somewhat

gervinongervin.tumblr.com/
>>
File: 1287534660423.jpg (38 KB, 620x474) Image search: [Google]
1287534660423.jpg
38 KB, 620x474
Stupid question: I just bought a Pentax K-3ii with a 15mm limited AF and an old Pentax M 50mm prime.

The manual takes better pictures than the 15mm. Why was I such an idiot in buying a 460 buck 15mm AF lens when I could have bought a dozen perfect manual lenses instead?
>>
>>2869248
50mm is, for something with an SLR's flange distance, where all the optical stars come into alignment to make a lens sharp and mostly free from aberrations, even at fairly large apertures. The farther away you get from it, toward either the wide-angle or telephoto ends, the worse old lenses are compared to modern stuff with all the fancy ED glass and aspherical elements that they didn't have back then. Chromatic aberration especially. Also old super-wides tend to be just plain soft at the edges and corners, though your crop-frame camera will chop off most of the worst of it.

Then again for real 20mm-or-less wide angle on crop frame, you can't use old lenses. Pentax made a 15/3.5 in the film era, but it's both a big bug-eyed monster of a lens, and a fairly rare item that collectors want to pay a lot of money for. For something like 10-12mm, modern gear is your only choice.
>>
I got roped into a photo contest and actually was selected to show/sell three shots. I only shoot as a casual hobby, and honestly expected to get BTFO (only did it silence this girl I started dating). Who can I use to print the pics? On the off chance someone buys my pleb pics, I don't want a Walgreens watermark on the back.
>>
>>2869983
costco if there is one near you
>>
>>2869992
Thanks, but the closest one is 2.5 hours away.
>>
>>2861528
What is more important for taking pictures of nature/landscapes? Megapixels or zoom?
>>
>>2870036
Landscapes are normally shot with wide angle lenses and super wide angle lenses. You need something that covers these focal lengths (from ~11mm to ~24mm), a sturdy tripod and neutral density filters. It looks like you know nothing about cameras so just buy a camera with interchangeable lenses that comes in a kit with a lens, learn photography and then buy stuff you need.
>>
>>2866788
Please
>>
File: Image2_LX100.jpg (90 KB, 1000x811) Image search: [Google]
Image2_LX100.jpg
90 KB, 1000x811
I bought a Panasonic LX100 recently for when i go on holiday
What settings can I use to get the best image quality out of the camera? I'll probably be shooting jpg to save space and because it'll only be snapshits
>>
File: 1426621177902.jpg (122 KB, 1278x1181) Image search: [Google]
1426621177902.jpg
122 KB, 1278x1181
>>2870066
>What settings can I use to get the best image quality out of the camera?
>I'll probably be shooting jpg
>to get the best image quality out of the camera
>jpg

Is this bait?
>>
File: FOTO3202.jpg (306 KB, 900x617) Image search: [Google]
FOTO3202.jpg
306 KB, 900x617
>>2870071
It is possible to get photos correct in camera, you know. Recovering a fucked up photo isn't how everyone approaches photography.

>>
>>2870071
not gonna shoot raw for snapshits, im not gonna edit it
i just want dece in-camera quality
>>
>>2870076
:^)
You can only do that if you have a
F U J I
U
J
I
camera
>>
>>2870124
kys senpai
>>
I got a softbox to try some portrait photography. All the bulbs are marked 5500k. Can I just use that in-camera as my white balance value and get correct WB?
>>
>>2870303
Yeah. You will still need to set the correct tint though. Just shoot a grey card, you're already carrying enough stuff.
>>
LEGAL QUESTION

My employer is doing some filing at my workplace next week. Do they not need my consent to film me? I'm not comfortable with it.
>>
>>2870442

*filming
>>
>>2870442
I am not a lawyer and the following is an educated guess and not proper legal advice.

They very probably do not. They own the workplace. Its a public location where you don't have an expectation of privacy. Employers recording employee's communications (eg email, web browsing) for many purposes is common and almost always kosher, as is the use of security cameras. And, at least in the US, most employment is at-will, which means that your recourse is basically "you can quit if you don't like it".

Now, if your boss isn't a douche, he'll probably try and work something out with you if you don't want to smile for the camera. (Well, depending on the purpose of the filming. What are they filming, anyway?) But he's likely within his rights to tell you to deal with it.
>>
>>2870485
>What are they filming, anyway?

Corporate bs for some new machinery I work with. Not sure beyond that.

You're probably right, I suppose I should just grin and bear it.
>>
I suck at post processing pics. Can somebody give me links of tutorials how to get better? Like tutorials about different types of portrait editing, landscape editing etc.
>>
Ricoh GR or X100S/T for a first camera?

I'm conflicted. I want something I can have with me always, as I tried learning photography when I was much younger with a DSLR and just never had it on me when I wanted it and lost motivation go to out specifically to take photos.
>>
>>2870561
I have a ricoh gr and i'd recommend a proper dSLR as first camera. The best street photogs use dSLRS, it's a matter of enjoying the act of photographing than worrying about shit like camera size.

Trust me, even with a GR you won't carry it as much as you will think. Better buy a dSLR and take it from the backpack if you see anything worth photographing.

That said, I've been shooting with a GR only and i'm good but i prefer to shoot film because it makes me pause and think more about the shot.
>>
>>2861528
Nikon or Canon?
>>
>>2870573
Fuck off
>>
Is there any way to use an Android phone/iPad/Laptop to monitor your live view when recording video on a Nikon D3200? Or alternatively, is there any way to make the remote shutter controller act like back button focus so I can adjust the focus with that while recording video?

I'm going to start shooting more video with the camera on a tripod and I don't want to shell out extra money just to get a new body with a tiltable screen just to see if the focus is correct when I'm not behind the camera.

And also, what's a good replacement for the 18-55 kit lens without being too expensive? I want to get something somewhere around the 18-70 range, I've heard that the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8 is pretty decent.
>>
>>2870567
See, I feel like having a camera in my pocket all the time would be more beneficial and allow me to take many more photographs than if I had to pull something out of my backpack when I had it with me.
>>
>>2870586
Sure get an1 of the ricoh gr\grd line. All of them work great as snap and go cams. But the Sony rx100 does gets you nice results as well. Just pick something that it's fast in operation and fits your pocket.
>>
File: forest.jpg (320 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
forest.jpg
320 KB, 1000x750
Not sure if I am alone with this problem, but here is a picture I took with a phone and I do believe it is a decent shot, but If I would have taken it with my DSLR (Canon D5) I would have hated it.
Lets imagine this picture would have been taken with point and shoot, D800 or Leica M5 would you value it diffrently?
Is this some short of gear whorin, and how do I get myself out of this?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width1280
Image Height960
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:06:26 21:33:14
Image Width1280
Image Height960
>>
>>2866959
if you notice it, it's almost certainly the result of post processing
>>
>>2861619
UV filters are only for film cameras, your digital slr's sensor is not affected by uv.
If you're concerned with dust or coffee splashes on your lens, just get a clear glass filter.
You might also want polarizing and ND filters.
HINT: if you're using filters, instead of buying multiple copies of the same filters for your different lenses, just buy one filter in the size of your largest lens and use metal (not cheap plastic) step ups on your smaller lenses to fit the larger size filter.
>>
>>2861620
>long exposure in-camera in a 5dii
Easy - just set your camera to "B" mode (bulb).
Another option is to shoot tethered to a laptop or tablet. Several free apps will let you set start, stop times or durations over 30 secs. You can even do time lapses or focus stacks this way.
You don't need Magic Lantern - not that it's bad or anything.
>>
Should i get a film camera as first camera? Is pentax k1000 good?
>>
>>2862922
>anxiety carrying a camera in public
please elaborate, I see this meme mentioned frequently on /p/ but I don't get what the anxiety is about. Are you in a Third World nation and you're concerned with getting robbed? Or is it something different?
>>
>>2862957
those things are pretty but they belong in museums. I don't see the joy in throwing time and money away shooting film unless you're an old fart who took too many LSD trips and got trapped in the 1960s.
>>
>>2862967
>hurr durr develop my own film instead of digital
I can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it. -Tommy Boy
>>
>>2870783
>should I get a horse and buggy for my first car?
>>
>>2870442
>Do they not need my consent to film me?
Have you ever been in a bank/grocery/store and noticed the security cameras recording you?
There are cameras everywhere, they don't need your consent.
Even more, Employers can monitor your computer activities and read your emails, browser history, and any electronic communications they want -- the courts will side with the employer.
>>
>>2870098
>just want dece in-camera quality
RAW format, faggot.
>>
>>2868723
youtube has lots of tutorials on how to coach wannabe models who don't know how to pose -- search "photography+model+poses"
>>
Better to get a used GR or a new one for warranty in case of dust?

If I go used is it basically a gamble if it happens to me or not?
>>
>>2863039
Full frame trigger, I'd guess since only my full-frame lens pushes it in. Maybe opens the shutter more to let in the maximum aperture of light?
>>
>>2863270
Start over with 2016? I've got the skills to make one if we can decide on the photos going in.
>>
Is shooting in flat only useful for videographers? How many photogs grade their stuff after shooting?
>>
>>2863039

looks like a feeler tab that tells the camera body if it has an old school lens with an aperture ring attached.
>>
>>2870692
what: the post
>>
I'm trying to remember the name of a technique/style/something and I can't. It involves making the photo black and white, and then adding in a filter to bring back the blue and orange colours slightly above the rest. I think I remember seeing it a lot on pictures of mountains. Makes it look all vintage and hipstery.
>>
>>2870792
this is for holiday snapshits, i wont be editing them
>>
When i shoot a long exposure from a pedestrian bridge and there are a ton of people walking on it at the time and that makes the bridge bounce around a lot , i thought my photos are going to be blurry as shit but they turn out fine . Why is that ?
>>
>>2871133

Because the long exposure averages out any vibration over time. If the bridge is at rest for the majority of the exposure, you'll get fairly sharp focus.
>>
>>2871017
Split toning? Can you give us an example?
>>
Is there a difference between the Manfrotto 410 Junior and Art heads?
I got a used 190XB tripod with a 410 head described as 410 Junior but when I looked at the thing, under the plate it says "Art 410"
Did I get scammed, or did I get better value somehow? Or is it nothing and I'm just lamenting about nothing?
I am confus.
>>
>>2871138
That's it, ty.
>>
How to use the DSLR light meter?
>>
>>2871142
You point at scene, and match settings to get the needle in the center. You make one shot, judge exposure value by the histogram and adjust settings to expose for the highlights or the shadows.
>>
What is the best image hosting/sharing site to use?

Flickr/Photobucket/Instagram/500px something else?

I have about 150 images I want to upload. I used PB a good few years ago but the site seems pretty shonky now.
>>
File: D500&7Dmk2.jpg (952 KB, 1007x1539) Image search: [Google]
D500&7Dmk2.jpg
952 KB, 1007x1539
>Cameras & Lenses for photojournalism

Probably want a zoom that covers as large of a focal range as possible
As fast of a lens as you can get cause low light shooting.
Good metering and focus accuracy because autofocus is going to be faster that you focusing.
High frame rate to capture the right stuff at the right moment (7D Mk2 & D500 both shoot 10fps)
High ISO capabilities cause low light shooting
Image stabilization/Vibration Reduction cause crack addiction.
Weather sealed body & lens cause shit happens.

Does this all sound about right?
>>
>>2871139
>Manfrotto 410 Junior
>pic related
Geared head with knobs that move the pitch and roll in very precise movements. Easy to adjust for levelness and much more exact than a ball head because you can make tiny adjustments with the knobs and the gears hold the head exactly where you place it.
Great for architectural photography, particularly one point perspective where the verticals and horizontals have to be perfectly level.
>>
>>2871153
you can add dropbox and google+ to that list
>>
>>2871155
invest in good glass, you can always upgrade the body later.
start with a cheap 35 or 50mm prime and a yongnuo speedlite.
>make sure you put a canon 70-200 2.8 L on your wish list
>>
>>2871047
>holiday snapshits, i wont be editing
you're in the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker
>>
>>2871242
I know what a geared head is you knob, that is why I bought one. I was asking if there are different variants of the 410 head, like 410 Junior, 410 Art or 410+ or whatever because it was marketed as 410 Junior and under the plate it says 410 Art.
Learn how to read.
>>
>>2871260
nay
>>
>>2871331
>you knob
>learn how to read
I know the answer to your 410 "Art" question but I'm not going to spend my time being insulted. Lots of luck.
>>
I was given a Nikon Coolpix L820 as a gift after I expressed interest in photography

...is this a passable starter camera or should I look into something that I can swap lenses on?
>>
so just recently i went to get my pictures off the CF, put it in the adapter and computer says it doesn't recognize it or it's corrupted. thought fine, i got the adapter second hand so i bought a new transcend usb 3.0 one, does the same thing. i have been able to get them off the CF on this computer before and when I put it into the camera I can clearly see the pictures there.

what fuck do I do? every place says to use USB cable from camera to pc and take them off like that but I don't have a cable like that since I bought it second hand for really cheap (300D). or can I buy a cable for this and if so what kind of cable is it?
>>
>>2871444
never used it, but glancing at the manual it seems like it doesn't have any manual exposure capabilities? it's exclusively auto?

if that's true i feel like you can certainly get a more useful learning cam for the price - without any manual exposure modes you won't learn the relationship between shutter speed & aperture & ISO, or how those things affect motion blur, DOF, that kind of shit. a camera that's exclusively auto is no better for learning photography than an iphone - in fact, since you can get apps on your phone that add manual exposure options, it's worse than an iphone.
>>
>>2871441
Do you need a hug?
>>
>>2861528
i overexpose my film a little and my shots all turn out brighter than i want. i know on digital, underexposing leaves it a little darker. ive also tried overexposing and underexposing on a few cameras i have and they still develop the same. whats wrong here?
>>
>>2871511
you overexpose and you wonder why your photos are too bright?
learn to meter and stop overexposing
>not that hard
>>
>>2871511
i agree with >>2871516, did you misspeak or are you really asking why overexposing shots makes them brighter? it's because overexposure means you're exposing the film/sensor to more light than you should, and that extra light makes the shot seem brighter than it really is.
>>
>>2871511
man & girl go out to drive under moonlight. they stop at on at a side of road.

he turn to his girl and say:

"baby, i love you very much"

"what is it honey?"

"our car is broken down. i think the engine is broken. ill walk and get some more fuel."

"ok. ill stay here and look after our stereo. there have been news report of steres being stolen."

"good idea. keep the doors locked no matter what. i love you sweaty"

so the guy left to get full for the car. after two hours the girl say "where is my baby, he was supposed to be back by now". then the girl here a scratching sound and voice say "LET ME IN"

the girl doesnt do it and then after a while she goes to sleep. the next morning she wakes up and finds her boyfriend still not there. she gets out to check and man door hand hook car door
>>
>>2871489
>muh iphone
>muh apps
Apple fanboys pls go back2reddirt
>>
>>2871481
Um - buy a USB cable? You really are in the right thread.

Micro/mini USB to USB cable
>>
>>2871536
if you dont have an iphone you are literally not a photographer

you need proof? henri cartier bresson took 95% of his pictures on an ipad, and in a TIME article he was quoted as saying "its portable, its fun to use, it just werks"
>>
File: fog.jpg (248 KB, 1024x626) Image search: [Google]
fog.jpg
248 KB, 1024x626
>>2871489
>>2871542
>ITT: I'm cool for being a liberal white college student who uses a mac and talks about issues like politics, even though I don't know shit. I am the 99 percent and I feel bad about being white and cisgendered because it puts pressures on the minorities and the LGBT communities. An internet test said my IQ was circa 140, so obviously I'm ever intelligent and cultured. I'm planning on majoring in art history and maybe a minor in business. I hope to start my own medicinal marijuana legislation group and atheist organization because weed is so good for you and religion is killing society.
>-Posted from my iPad at Starbucks.
>>
>>2871582
i just checked the exif data for your pic there and, surprise surprise, you took it with an iphone 6s... talk about the pot calling the kettle black
>>
>>2871587
where are you seeing that? the exif is supposed to be wiped out.
>>
>>2871596
i hacked you
>>
>>2863948
You can try and adjust the diopter to compensate for your sight. It should be a little knob by the eyepiece.
>>
>>2864716
Are you sure it isn't a polarizer? They look purple, see if it spins or says cpl on the side. Also check if it cuts glare.
>>
I've always wanted to know why 90% of kit lenses are 18-55mm. Is there something special about those focal lengths?
>>
>>2871757
Yes, it covers the most used focal lengths.
>>
Ok this is really going to sound retarded, but:

I'm not too familiar with post-processing but i want to achieve the blues and oranges that are present in many photos shot with film, do i do this by applying filters? If yes, where should i look for filters to download?
>>
>>2871144
Thank you for the answer.
But today I was practicing with d7100 the light bar was in center but the photo was so overexposed.
What is the problem?
That light metering thing is making me mad.
>>
>>2871144
Thank you for the answer.
But today I was practicing with d7100 the light bar was in center but the photo was so overexposed.
That light metering thing is making me mad.
What is the problem?
>>
>>2871786
Torrent, once you start making money from it then officially buy those presets.
>>
Do you guys know any website who free ship film to the 3rd world countries?
>>
>>2871135
thanks for the reply ,
this is what i suspected but the vibration seemed to be for a majority of the photo
but i did not time what percentage of time it was of the exposure
so i was probably freaking out and exaggerated it in my mind
>>
>>2871153
Seconding this question. I have some cosplay photos I want to put where the subjects can find themselves but I don't want to deal with Facebook BS. Are there any copyright pitfalls to watch out for with any of these sites?
>>
>>2871774
Ahh, makes sense. Thanks
>>
what adjustments should I make before getting something printed at a shop? I was thinking an A1 or A2 size to get framed

should I export in Lightroom to a particular dpi?

Do I need to crop the ratio to the exact millimeter measurements before I send the file to them?
>>
>>2871848
I asked the question originally.

Wikipedia said that the site with the most users was 500px so I got an account there. The site looks/feels nice but you can only upload 20 pictures a week if you don't want to buy premium.

I then created a Flickr account because I needed to bulk upload this week. You will need an active Yahoo account it seems to use it and there is a vague threat that the pictures may be deleted if the account isn't accessed every 90 days.
>>
>>2872011
300dpi is standard I think, at least that's what I've always used. I don't think dpi is a huge issue unless you're doing serious or commercial print work, in which case you'll want to do some research.

Adjustments really depends on the shop. Better shops will do adjustments if you ask them to, and you can usually communicate with them what you're looking for and some can even create a custom profile for you. Expect to pay extra (though not always) Cheaper shops will also do adjustments, but instead of a technician doing it it'll just be an Auto-Enhance type thing.

Just crop to the aspect ratio you want to print. You can always leave this up to the shop, and better shops will crop properly most of the time, but it's so easy to do yourself and to retain the control of your own crop that there's no reason not to do it.
>>
Redpill me on Canon's Picture Styles. How much saturation is too much saturation for taking portraits? I was thinking of using +1 or +2 to bring out more color because I feel like my photos are a little washed out compared to other people's, but I'm not sure if too much saturation could effect the skin tone negatively making it look weird.
>>
Freelance question. How much would you charge to shoot a high school football team for 1 season (10 games and possibly playoffs).
>>
>>2872322
Do that in post. There's no need to edit the photo before taking it. And shoot RAW.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.