[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I take HDR photos with a Canon 5D Mark 2? No matter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: Canon-5D-Mark-2.jpg (146 KB, 629x454) Image search: [Google]
Canon-5D-Mark-2.jpg
146 KB, 629x454
How do I take HDR photos with a Canon 5D Mark 2?

No matter what camera you have. HDR is the same process, and you need a software to do it right. Some cameras have been built with HDR rendering, but results are sucks in comparison with what can be done with good software.

http://www.michellhilton.com/2016/06/como-faco-para-tirar-fotos-hdr-com-uma-canon-5d-mark-2.html

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwarePhotoScape
Image-Specific Properties:
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width640
Image Height480
>>
Shill pls go
>>
>>2857965
>tfw my D810 has so much latitude that if you push or pull enough highlights or shadows you get an HDR image from one shot

Feels good when I need it
>>
>>2857981
>tfw my D810 has so much latitude that if you push or pull enough highlights or shadows you get an HDR image from one shot
>Feels good when I need it

eeeiiihh, how tacky
>>
>>2857981

That's called tone mapping, and a lot of cameras can do it.
>>
>>2858000
>a lot of cameras can do it
Last I heard, the Sony sensor'ed cameras still had the greatest DR and Canon was still notorious for having awful shadow recovery.
>>
>>2858008
Tone mapping has nothing to do with dynamic range, and everything to do with processing.
>>
It's easy, anĂ£o

bracketing, +-3exp, took 3 photos. merge them.
>>
>>2857995
can't wait to buy a d810 next year, fuuuuuck

the 5dsR has more detail but, is noisy as fuck
>>
>>2857965
Are you actually asking? You see that the article tells you exactly what to do, and then says "if you don't understand, google it".

If you don't get it, you're being a toddler asking to be spoon fed.

If you DO get it, then you're... I don't know... coming here to tell us that HDR exists? What is this?
>>
>>2858008
>shadow recovery
> why can't i hold all this dynamic range.jpg
kek
>>
>>2858037
You keep using that word "tone mapping" but I'm not sure you even know what it means. That's a separate method of HDR-merging that is/was very popular on the internet, but also has a notorious appearance because it's heavily stylized to the point that many people also loathe it.

An HDR image is one where neither the shadows are crushed or highlights blown to a significant degree. It isn't necessarily tone mapped at all. A camera with high latitude/dynamic range is said to capture more detail in high contrast situations, that's all.

Going back to my comment about the D810, I shoot moving subjects often, so it's nice to be able to capture one image and not worry as much about lost detail. It has its limits compared to using multiple exposures or ND grads, but I definitely noticed the difference in DR compared to my last camera.
>>
>>2858064

I don't think you actually know what tone mapping is. There's no merging at all. It also doesn't have to be extreme.
>>
>>2858064
Tone mapping is generally done with one single image, to give it the kitschy "HDR according to the internet" look. HDR is what the rest of us call a multi-shot merge in order to go beyond the range of the sensor you're using.

Pushing up your shadows in post is neither, really. It's a valid technique for when you can't control your light or your scene, and nobody's saying not to do it, but that doesn't mean that it's part of HDR or tone-mapping.
>>
>>2858076
>Pushing up your shadows in post is neither, really.

No, it's tone mapping. Straight up.
>>
>>2857965
Fuck off.
>>
>>2858115
Then why do older Canon cameras have an issue with it, especially if it has "nothing to do with the camera and everything to do with post processing"?

I'd believe you if there weren't demonstrable differences in cameras' abilities to bring out shadow details, but that's clearly not the case.

>>
wuts better, canon t2i or a 6D?
>>
>>2858148
I usually say "for what, retard" but unless a budget is in the mix, or you're planning on wrecking the camera in the process of getting a shot, the 6D is better in literally every single way.
>>
not even on the price
>>
>>2857965
It's weird... Ps HDR function doesnt really end up looking right. It's hard to get anything usable out of it. Apparently CC allows you to do HDR in Ps and then do the tuning in ACR, but I only have CS5, so I bought Photomattix to do HDRs.
>>
>>2858157
>I bought
Top kek. If I could download my gear I would too
>>
>>2858151

wuts better, 35mm F1,4L or 135mm F2L?
>>
>>2858204
There you go!

For what, retard?

I feel better. Thanks.
>>
>>2858204
135mm

It'll teach you composition 10,000x
Although it's brutal carrying around a surgical knife when you need a blanket.
>>
>>2858637

thx senpai

>>2858206

wuts better, 35mm F2,4 Limited or 40mm F2,8 limited? Can I substitute both with DA 200mm F2,8?
>>
>>2858181
Well, they dont really have CDs in any stores to physically buy, so downloading is the reasonable option. Unless you want to burn my software for me in the future and Ill come pick it up.

Some 'gear' just has to be downloaded.
>>
>>2858204
wuts betr, an 8mm, or a 600mm f/4?
>>
>>2858847

I wonder that too!
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 360x396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 360x396
>>2858045
>tfw own 645Z
>tfw 15 stops DR and never bothered to blend HDRs because one shot + recovery does the job.

Technology has made me a bit lazy. Btw, I also own a 5D2 and know the pain of its terrible shadows, you always have to pay close attention to your exposures.

Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.4.4206
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width360
Image Height396
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2859696
Not having to dick around with multiple exposures is hardly lazy though. Unless you don't bother to expose properly and just say "I'll fix it in post" but even then, who really gives a fuck.
>>
>>2859700
Well, the Z does have a very linear gain curve, similar to other Sony sensors, meaning there isn't a significant difference between shooting a stop higher ISO or pushing in post. As long as you don't clip the highlights, it doesn't matter where your shadows are, which does massively simplify setting exposure. Of course I still try to match the exposure to the scene as closely as I can.
>>
>>2859715
>Well, the Z does have a very linear gain curve

It is not called that way.
>>
Dynamic compression is easy from just one image if you have enough range in the camera. In Lightroom just lower highlist and boost shadows. Adjust contrast and exposure to fit. If you need more, just edit in Photoshop > HDR. Most new cameras these days come with enough dynamic range that you don't need to take multiple shots.
>>
>>2857981
latitude=/=dynamic range
>>
>>2859911

Explain the difference and why one should not say "DR" instead of "latitude".
>>
>>2858148
look at the prices you tard
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.