[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Really, really, really newfag here. I have never really touched
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1333
Really, really, really newfag here. I have never really touched photography until the last few weeks. So, what sites I should visit to get me started? Any tips also welcome.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2000
Image Height1333
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
read the sticky. there are some image dumps linked there that have some good photos from /p/haggots
>>
File: 1464723603061.jpg (28 KB, 273x282) Image search: [Google]
1464723603061.jpg
28 KB, 273x282
leave here and don't ever come back OP this website will do nothing but make you worse and ruin photography for you
>>
>>2856838
>someone said something mean about my picture :(
If you want harsh critique which will ultimately make you a better photographer then this site is the best out there.
>>
>>2856801
I agree with >>2856838
Leave here and never come back OP. Just shoot what makes you happy. People here are fucken pathetic sad shitty photographers who have lost their love of photography a long time ago.
>>
>>2856897
It's a mix between this and shitposters. You can sort out the shitposters fairly easily though.

This is a very quick guide for photos on p:

Lots of very negative responses - your photo is likely absolute cancer. Hopefully in amongst the abuse you will get some good tips. Keep shooting and keep posting.

No comments, if the occasional "nice one m8". Your photos are much better, and technically they are probably good.

Lots of positive comments - very unlikely
>>
>>2856838
It:s not even true. If you're delusional and absolute shit - maybe, if you're actually talented / selective about your work you won't really have problems.
>>
>>2856919
This is pretty mucb true
>>
>tfw posted a handful of photos on /p/ so far
>only positive reactions

Just photos of interesting things.

Things you should consider:
>read the sticky
>watch digitalrev tv
>buy or rent a photography magazine every now and then
>carry your camera everywhere
>watch other peoples photos in the recent pictures threads flickr and other websites
>pirate Adobe Lightroom and learn how to use it
>>
>>2857312
>>read the sticky
>>watch digitalrev tv
>>buy or rent a photography magazine every now and then
>>carry your camera everywhere
>>watch other peoples photos in the recent pictures threads flickr and other websites
>>pirate Adobe Lightroom and learn how to use it

absolute trash tier advice

>read all wikipedia photography articles to get the technical aspects down
>read books on composure
>take a lot of photos
>look at other photos to explore the photosphere
>pirate adobe stuff
>>
>>2857318
>>read all wikipedia photography articles to get the technical aspects down
>>read books on composure
>>take a lot of photos
>>look at other photos to explore the photosphere
>>pirate adobe stuff

The how to be a technician handbook!
>>
>>2857321

>being this retarded
>>
>>2857323
Oh shit good one bro!
>>
>>2857331

>still derping
>>
OP here, just wanna say thanks
>>
I'm new to photography as well. Literally just bought my first DSLR yesterday. Been trying to get the basics down and so far I can say this is what feels like is most important:
>take fuckloads of pictures, never enough.
>look at your pictures and figure out what went wrong/right
>be open to advice/ask questions
>don't be afraid to put your camera or yourself somewhere.
I don't know, maybe I don't know anything but this is what feels like the right way to learn, just like anything - practice.
>>
>>2858540
>take fuckloads of pictures, never enough.

I've always thought that this was awful advice. obviously you could go outside and start holding down the shutter button until you maybe get a usable photo. the biggest take away from photography for me at least is to make one exposure per motive. before you take an image think for a second why your're taking it and the reasons behind that motive. sometimes the answer can be "I think this looks cool" but to be mindlessly shooting photos and expect improvement is pretty dumb.

my advice to newcomers would be
>patience and diligence goes a long way
>shoot what YOU want and not for anyone else
>look at as much photography as possible by reading books or just browsing forums
>be ok with coming back with "bad photos" as forcing creativeness oftentimes leads to uninspired photos
>"don't try too hard" by being relaxed when shooting because sometimes you will surprise yourself with spontaneous idea
>>
>>2858540
Practice has nothing to do with it when you begin. It's all about understanding the system you have in your hands. Read the manual and take photos to let concepts sink in. That way you can properly utilize your equipment.
>>
>>2858540
>take fuckloads of pictures, never enough
is exactly wrong.
Study always comes before useful practice.
If you don't know how to correctly punch or kick, you can practice by doing 10,000 incorrect punches and 10,000 incorrect kicks for a whole year, and you'll still know jackshit about martial arts.

Taking 10,000 bad photographs does absolutely nothing to transform you into being able to take good photographs.
And if you were to spontaneously realize after 10k photographs that "pop-up flash looks like shit and pictures are boring with the face in the exact middle of the frame", you still wasted a year because that's Day-1 photography info you would've found in a good book.

Photography is not a sport. Photography is not muscle memory. You can read a tutorial that teaches clamshell lighting (place lights here and here, take shot) then place your lights there, very first time you attempt it, bam, clamshell lighting, it's literally so easy a 8 year old could move the lights to where a book or video tells them.
Acquiring the knowledge of the techniques equates to being able to perform them, because essentially none of the commonly used ones are physically difficult.

In exact opposition, reading a guide about an actual physical sport, like tennis, won't make your body able to pull it off, as no amount of words can communicate the actual act of subconsciously activating a particular set of muscle fibres in an exact sequence in regard to certain stimulation of your optic nerve that means the ball is coming in from one angle.

Maybe a tenth of 1% of photography is this 500 millisecond flip camera around and take emergency shot stuff, and honestly, even then an expensive body with 10-60 FPS would be more likely to catch such a fleeting moment than someone with a cheap Rebel who took 10,000 single-shot photographs.

If you practice by taking bad shots, all you're doing is mastering the art of creating bad photographs.
>>
>>2857336
>unironically using the word derp

Nobody should listen to anything you have to say.

You'll learn the technical stuff naturally over time, don't go out and study it for hours otherwise you'll get bored of it and look at it like a problem rather than a means of expression.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.