[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHY DO YOU PHOTOGRAPH
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10
File: iphone-slr-mount-xl.jpg (87 KB, 970x600) Image search: [Google]
iphone-slr-mount-xl.jpg
87 KB, 970x600
For the first two years of owning a DSLR I just tried to grasp the controls, the theory etc. But now, when I've gotten a hang of it all and I got my hands on a few film cameras I've been actully getting noteworthy photographs (my words, haven't showcased my stuff)

But why do you photograph? How do you justify owning thousands of dollars worth equipment?

Picture not related I guess

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width970
Image Height600
>>
>>2853386
I enjoy the "collection" aspect of capturing something in a photo. I also like to strive to make beautiful things look beautiful after the fact. Mostly it gives me something to do when I'm bored.

I justify the expensive equipment by using it to make money. The only money I spend on gear is money I make through photography, so it never affects my finances outside of the ecosystem I've set up.
>>
File: 1.jpg (285 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
285 KB, 533x800
OP here

For me photography is an astonishing artistic medium because of it's way of composing actual real life visual sights into images that suit whichever cause it was created for. The painting-like idea of carefully composing visuallly thrlling images exites me. Lately I've been getting far better results than ever before.

Also I can't paint or draw for shit but also I enjoy capturing and storing true life more than creating from scratch and fiction.

Pic related, my latest digital pic from today, not very my style but the view was captivating.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 600D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.3 (Windows)
PhotographerTaneli Hongisto
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:06:01 20:54:45
Exposure Time1/180 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: _IMG2170_sm.jpg (200 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
_IMG2170_sm.jpg
200 KB, 900x675
>>2853386
I justify my gear through the work I need it for in the studio, but also get to use it for whatever I want on my own time. I never really thought about getting into photography until my job required me to do so, and I got through the technical grit of it all in just 6 months.

I am drawn to creating imagery, but lack the patience to produce traditional art, so I do digital stuff; 2D, 3D, and now photography. It's much faster and you're more aware of the end-result.

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX 645Z
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Macintosh)
PhotographerKonstantin_Kovalev
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)43 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution360 dpi
Vertical Resolution360 dpi
Image Created2016-06-01T17:54:53+03:00
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/9.0
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length55.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width900
Image Height675
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessSoft
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
File: _MG_8082.jpg (374 KB, 1024x717) Image search: [Google]
_MG_8082.jpg
374 KB, 1024x717
>>2853396
Photography actually helped me out in 3D creation because I didn't know shit about how to set up and work cameras before, I simply rolled with what produced a result. With physical camera modeling, it's become intuitive for me to pick good compositions in software now.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
PhotographerPhotographer:Kolor-Pikker
Image Width8504
Image Height5953
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution360 dpi
Vertical Resolution360 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2014:07:31 15:13:05
Image Created2013:09:15 16:51:49
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Subject Distance0.00 m
Metering ModePartial
Focal Length24.00 mm
Image Width1024
Image Height717
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: candles.jpg (152 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
candles.jpg
152 KB, 1200x900
>>2853397

>>
File: fun.jpg (86 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fun.jpg
86 KB, 1920x1080
Because it's fun
>>
>>2853397
this.
>>
>>2853386
>For the first two years of owning a DSLR I just tried to grasp the controls
What?
It took you 2 years to learn how to operate the camera? Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>2853386
I like to have pictorial evidence to help me remember and reminisce about moments in my life. I like to try and find the beauty in things I see. I like to put up pictures that my friends enjoy, and to a degree the taking of pictures also affords me with a locus of action or a role that I enjoy taking in a social situation. Finally, even the process of gearfagging when making new acquisitions is enjoyable to me. That's why I photograph.
>>
>>2853426
Oh, and I like the "slider draggan for great art" approach that postprocessing with Lightroom gets me. The fact that I not only capture reality but get to inject my own vision into how that reality is portrayed in the end is fascinating.
>>
I like taking photos of flowers, first started whilst looking for something to do in-between work hours.
>>
>>2853420
Nah, I mean to the point where I can just look outside and already now what to set my aperture and shutter to. But I was just really shooting blind for two years and not paying attention to anything, always shooting aperture priority and not caring
>>
>>2853420
I think he was over-simplifying his statement, and meant all the knowledge that goes into getting a photograph, from using the camera proper to photographic theory, understanding inner workings, and post-processing. After a while you stop thinking about what you're doing and simply "know" that what you're doing is right from extended experience, this can indeed take a while.
I had the advantage of already being adept with photoshop as an art tool even before I've ever loaded one of my own photos into it.
>>
>>2853386
If I'm 100% honest, I'm in love with the technology involved. I love how rangefinders triangulate to focus, I love how optics direct light, how sensors and film capture photons. I love the manual mechanisms. I love calculating the exposure and get immense satisfaction from nailing it. I guess I like the numbers stuff the most about it.

I feel the same way about guns and getting the shot, but shooting with cameras is waaaaaaay cheaper than shooting firearms. You thought Polaroid film is expensive...

Recently I've gotten into instant film and I've come to enjoy the pleasure of taking pictures of people and handing it to them. Especially kids, they go nuts over it.
>>
Because my little nephew deleted my Pokemon Snap with sick scores above 9700/10000. Now I need to make up for it in the real world.
>>
>>2853467
>
Recently I've gotten into instant film and I've come to enjoy the pleasure of taking pictures of people and handing it to them. Especially kids, they go nuts over it.
that sounds freaking neat. I'll get to the habit of that if I ever get my hands on polaroids
>>
>>2853758
Fucked that post up

>Recently I've gotten into instant film and I've come to enjoy the pleasure of taking pictures of people and handing it to them. Especially kids, they go nuts over it.

that sounds freaking neat. I'll get to the habit of that if I ever get my hands on polaroids
>>
>>2853386

Had a bit of spare cash after starting a new job and living at home with the family and decided to splash out on babby's first DSLR.
Had previously had a bit of an interest in film making and cinematography that never really went anywhere.

Played about with the DSLR and found myself quite enjoying taking and editing photos. 8 months later I'm still spending my weekends cycling around looking for stuff to take photos of.
Can't explain why I like it, I just do.
>>
Didn't someone just ask this like last week?
>>
It may seem heretical to some but I am fascinated by the world around me, the natural, cultural and historcal aspects of it all. It moves me to keep a record of as much as I can and to capture it in the most visually pleasing that I am able.
>>
File: B0145619-y720px.jpg (97 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
B0145619-y720px.jpg
97 KB, 480x720
>>2853386
BECAUSE PHOTOGRAPHY

Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera Softwaredarktable 1.4
PhotographerAndrew Wade Eglington oh-hi.info
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)139 mm
Image Created2016:05:08 19:07:07
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
ISO Speed Rating1250
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length93.00 mm
Image Width480
Image Height720
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastHard
SaturationLow
SharpnessHard
>>
File: B0145619-y720px_01.jpg (172 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
B0145619-y720px_01.jpg
172 KB, 720x720
>>2854356

Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera Softwaredarktable 1.4
PhotographerAndrew Wade Eglington oh-hi.info
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)139 mm
Image Created2016:05:08 19:07:09
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
ISO Speed Rating1250
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length93.00 mm
Image Width720
Image Height720
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastHard
SaturationLow
SharpnessHard
>>
File: IMG_20160602_211709.jpg (314 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160602_211709.jpg
314 KB, 640x480
Everything I own and use to take photographs can be purchased today for $350
Being able to take 12mp photos on a large sensor totally beats shitty fixed lens photography on a phone with 30.
That's why I started, but somehow I found myself now always trying to get images that'll make nice prints and wallpapers.
>>
Theres something about taking pictures thats so satisfying. I hide and hoard data, but idk, having it there is comforting even if I never look at it again. Taking a shot of something is permanent, even if gone it still happened. Theres just something about it
>>
>>2854356
>>2854359
Brisbane confirmed for infested with vile degenerates. That town needs another big flood.
>>
>>2853386
>owning thousands of dollars worth equipment (sic)
ahahaha I have maybe $500 worth of equipment

I like photography because I like to visually document things I find aesthetically pleasing.
>>
File: IMG_7736.jpg (845 KB, 2366x1330) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7736.jpg
845 KB, 2366x1330
>>2853386

I like toys. I used to surf the web for toy pics and save them then I just decided to take my own.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelDSLR-A200
Camera SoftwarePixelmator for iPad 2.2.1
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:04:15 18:04:25
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Brightness4.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width2366
Image Height1330
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2854423
Hey, I have Armin to my right.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.