[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I cant seem to get a photo that is all completely in focus on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: 1462767392974.jpg (163 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1462767392974.jpg
163 KB, 1024x1024
I cant seem to get a photo that is all completely in focus on my 5d mark iii. Is this just a full frame limitation or something I'm doing wrong? Surely its me.

I just want infinity focus, everything is sharp. I've tried to go all the way to infinity focus on the highest F stop I can manage to light for. Still nada.

How can I do it?
>>
Try zooming at the image in live view and manual focus from there.
If that doesnt help you're either using dogshit lenses or your sensor is dirty.
>>
>>2851948
But will that focus on the whole image? Like Im totally fine with say, focusing on my face as i stand in front of a wall.. But the ears and the wall will be slightly blurry. If i move forward or back 6 inches, my face goes out of focus. I want to remove that so i can take self portraits without worrying about moving one inch back and losing focus
>>
>>2851927
At the highest f-stop you probably have diffraction issues. Try f/8-f/11 tops.
>>
>>2851927
What lens are you using? I assume a large aperture lens. Stop it down to f/4 or f/5.6 and depending on distance it should all be in focus, if not stop down more
>>
>>2851927
How about a sample photo so we can identify issues

lowest f stop is not the way to go due to diffractoin. (you said highest, but you mean lowest) and focusing at infinity will only work if your subject is super far away.
>>
There's no way this is taken with a 50mm or 85mm lens stopped down to f22...
>>
>>2851952
Came here to say this. Focus problems are usually due to paper-thin DOF with bokehwhores, or diffraction because you ignored that phenomenon.

If you're still worried about having a calibration issue just make a rear/front focus test, you'll find them on youtube.
>>
Remember that distance from the camera also affects depth of field, in addition to aperture. If you're taking self portraits with the camera 2 feet away from you then it wouldn't be surprising if you were having issues getting large enough of field even after stopping down.
>>
>>2852013

this.

OP you piece of shit retard learn to properly use your fucking camera.
>>
>>2852016
>>2852016
lol
>>
Stand farther back.... and crop in afterwards if you want the same framing.
>>
>>2851927
Jesus I want to marry her
>>
File: Savior.jpg (329 KB, 561x750) Image search: [Google]
Savior.jpg
329 KB, 561x750
>>2852161
That's beyond my power, my son.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Elements 10.0 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution150 dpi
Vertical Resolution150 dpi
Image Created2015:05:21 08:26:03
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width561
Image Height750
>>
>>2851927
OP, it's because your lens is sharpest not at infinity, but right before infinity. Look up this technique with astro photography on google.

Either that or you're too close to use infinity focus and you should delete your thread
>>
>>2851969
highest f stop he can manage

can you even read?
>>
Y'all need to reverse image search this shit.
>>
>>2852289
I did. And I fapped. Hard.
>>
>>2851927
>infinity focus
for landscape photography? Jesus fucking Christ OP you limpdick post an example of your problem so we know wtf you're talking about
>>
There are two factors that effect DoF

F number (smaller hole = higher f stop = greater DoF) and focal length (longer = more zoomed in = smaller DoF).

I have always found focal length to be the more influential of the two factors.

Try using a wider lens.
>>
>>2852342
Oh yeah, fuck, and obviously the closer the lens is focused the more out of focus the background will be.
>>
>>2852342
And distance and sensor size and other factors you don't understand.
Stop answering questions, you don't know shit about photography, so you should stop misleading new readers.
>>
>>2851927
>He fell for the full frame Jew

Pathetic. This is why m43 and smaller is the best sensor size. FF faggots are out here actually worrying about getting things in focus. What an easy way to make photography boring as fuck.

I just set focus to like four feet in front of me and everything is sharp. Just concentrate on getting the image. This is the small sensor advantage.
>>
>>2852348
Yes, take all your photos with cellphone sized sensors. They won't be blurry because the DoF is always wide, and they'll also be ugly as fuck because there is never any separation between the subject and the background in your snapshits.

Unfortunately for you, a full-frame camera can just close down the aperture and get everything in focus if they want subject+background sharp simultaneously, but you can never imitate FF with your midget sensor because your widest aperture won't even get the job done.
>>
>>2852348
>what is cropping
>>
>>2852349
>Muh bokeh

Fortunately I do not subsist on taking senior portraits for highschool girls so this is not a concern.

FF is never going to have it all in focus at f/8 fairly close up which is generally where speed matters most. Better to concentrate on the actual image and make the background a part of it than relying on thin DOF to wash the background away and then missing focus either way. Is it doable? Yes. Is it in any way a desirable part of the process? Fuck no.

In a few years glorious small sensors will go to ISO 6400 just fine and FF can finally die off, remaining only a relic of bokeh fuck boys like yourself.
>>
>>2852354
Doesn't matter. You can always crop to the micro four-thirds area and get all the benefits of a wider dof without being limited by it.

Alright, maybe you get less megapixels.
>>
>>2852358
>This is the way muh FF bokeh fags think

Cropping close in is absolutely nothing like actually being a few feet away from the subject. The images are completely different.

You are getting none of the benefits besides the autofellatio you experience when taking bokeh samples of your cat/flowers.
>>
>>2852366
It's literally the same thing physically happening, retard. Take a shot with a 35mm F/2 on a full frame sensor. Crop to the M43 area. Now take the exact same shot (same distance) with a 35mm F/2 on a M43 sensor. You'll get the same field of view, the same depth of field and the same perspective from the two shots.

Come back when you get your basic understanding of optics right.
>>
>>2851927
>tfw you will never get to shoot a qt that will sleep with you afterwards
why even live....
>>
>>2851927
24mm lens, set to f/8, focused 12 feet away.

4 feet to infinity in focus.
>>
>>2852374

Except if I were on M43 I wouldn't need to crop so I would use the wider lens for the same FOV and get more DOF, not needing to pay attention to focusing. Even DOF for a 35 f/2 is very narrow when close up. I'd rather use the lens with eqiv FOV and not spend all my time fumbling with focus so I can feel good about muh pro bokeh.

FF loses every time with this. But if you like gear more than taking photos, by all means continue buying what the FF Jew is selling.
>>
>>2852383
Then you could just use that same wide lens, and crop, on full frame... See how that works? You'll literally always have that option.
>>
>>2852374
>>2852384

This.

>You'll get the same field of view, the same depth of field and the same perspective from the two shots.

And same diffraction as well.

One may only have less diffraction if they uses objective without inner diaphragm like 15mm F8 bodycap. This is why phone cameras have so big DOF without terrible diffraction (but with shitty quality overall though).

The picrelated could also do good in reducing diffraction but I cannot say it confidently.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-E1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)83 mm
Image Width4896
Image Height3264
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2014:06:30 21:20:15
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/13.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating500
Lens Aperturef/13.0
Brightness5.9 EV
Exposure Bias1.3 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length55.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2852383
Holy shit, you're either missing some chromosomes or I'm falling for a bait.
>>
>>2852388
>dat fresh crusty Takahashi Leica M4
>>
And that's shooting a Mark III... lel
>>
>>2852383
>fumbling with focus
How shit is your camera that focusing is somehow difficult or unreliable? I don't think about focus at all, other than selecting my point, and I can't think of the last time I had mis-focus.
>>
>>2852393
No, that's not knowing how to shoot at all (and more likely being completely trolling, since he hasn't been back to the thread)

Trying to get your entire scene in focus by stopping down to f/22 and focusing at infinity causes issues on any camera. The dude (is pretending that he) doesn't know what he's doing. It's absolutely not the camera's fault.
>>
>>2851927
>How can I do it?

Hyperfocal focusing.

If you can't, do not try.
>>
>>2851927
>DOF (depth of field)
Set white balance to auto; format to RAW; and ISO to 100.
On the lens, change switch from Auto to Manual focus.
Put your mark iii on 'A' (aperture priority) mode.
Use the dial to change the aperture to 7.1 and the camera will calculate the shutter speed automatically. Take a bunch of shots in different lighting conditions. Experiment with different apertures.
If you're shooting portraits, put the focus on the eyes. A good trick to focus with the mark iii is to go into liveview, then click on the left button with magnifying glass to zoom 5x. Click again to zoom 10x. now use the joystick on the right to move the zoom window around to what you want to focus on. Set your manual focus, then press the magnifying glass button to back out into liveview.
>>
Oh for fuck's sake. Now I haven't heard of anyone having focusing issues with the 5DmkIII, but I'm sure there's still some lemons in the mix.

There was a small subset of Canon 7D owners that had major focusing issues with the camera. I was one of them.

So don't write it off entirely.
>>
Bokehwhores is why we can't have nice things, they completely ruined the lens market.
>>
>>2853022
He specifically said he set his focus to infinity and stopped literally all the way down. It's not his camera.
>>
File: a1dc7ad5276d06614bd6c8d0dfb5b9ca.jpg (340 KB, 2000x1335) Image search: [Google]
a1dc7ad5276d06614bd6c8d0dfb5b9ca.jpg
340 KB, 2000x1335
>>2852289
dam son

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D750
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.3 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)85 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:12:28 12:55:38
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length85.00 mm
Image Width2000
Image Height1335
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessSoft
>>
>>2853389
So what kind of lens do you propose for more depth of field?
Take into consideration that anything beyond f/16 looks like shit due to diffraction.
>>
File: hyperfocal DOF.jpg (72 KB, 692x294) Image search: [Google]
hyperfocal DOF.jpg
72 KB, 692x294
>>2851927
Don't set focus to infinity.
Set it to the hyperfocal distance.
There are apps to calculate hyperfocal distance.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Macintosh
PhotographerPhotographer
Horizontal Resolution100 dpi
Vertical Resolution100 dpi
Image Created2012:06:13 18:27:05
Image Width692
Image Height294
>>
>>2853493
Get a 20mm lens and shoot at f/4, focused 8 feet away.
>>
>>2853493
Try pinholes on 120 film or bigger.
>>
File: e99c9c43e026eb10fd2ede965e878906.jpg (365 KB, 2000x1335) Image search: [Google]
e99c9c43e026eb10fd2ede965e878906.jpg
365 KB, 2000x1335
bumping this pointless thread with quality tits

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D750
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.5 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:04:15 12:08:02
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width2000
Image Height1335
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessSoft
>>
>>2854290
fuckin twat
>>
>>2851927
So you're telling me you have bought a Canon 5d mk III and don't know how to operate a camera?

Your money would be better used by an Applefag. Dare I say even, a Sonyfag. Your faggotnesness is on par with a cock-gagging pink-tank-top cumslut fuckboi.
>>
>>2852169
fuck you jesus, we want sum bitches
>>
>>2851952

Diffraction doesn't kick in until f/18. At least that's the number i tend to stay around for macro.
>>
>>2854290
this fucking twat. who is going to take that seriously. prime sexual object, and nothing more, IMO. And she will continue to be nothing more until she stops putting herself in the position to viewed as such.
>>
OP here again, I was not trolling and yes I have no idea how to use a camera really but I'm trying to learn. The infinity focus and max fstop were last resorts..

What I have learned from reading through for this particle "issue"

- Fstop should probably be 4-10 range
- Try to find this hyperfocal distance?
- Don't use as wide of a lens
- Stand further away (This is probably what it was, I am in like a 15ft room and some of the shots I was trying was like 4-5 ft away..)

Will give it all a shot today!
>>
>>2856533
Just focus the lens on the girl, eyes preferably, and use an aperture between f/8 and f/22

That's quite literally about it. You need to counter the small aperture with high iso (i would use 3200 for this, 6400 gives quite too much noise) and a shortish shutter time. Or shoot in sunlight so you can use a lower iso.

It's really basic stuff, you should seek this knowledge asap
>>
tripod
>>
>>2852169
Heh, my boy JC
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.