[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Film Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 469x329) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 469x329
How to get digital look on film?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width469
Image Height329
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2846814
Learn to shoot with intent to edit, and then learn a great deal about processing in Photoshop.

Learn curves, channels, blending modes, hue saturation tool, LAB color, HSB mode, masks, saturation masks, luminosity masks, different blur tools, etc.

Once you know your tools, it should be pretty easy.
>>
>>2846814
buy a digital back.
>>
>>2846814
B8
>>
File: image.png (65 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
image.png
65 KB, 625x626
Nice m8
>>
Lmao this is b8, but if for some reason it isnt, digital imo doesnt look as good as film. I doubt anyone in their right mind would try and take a film picture and make it look more like it was taken with a digital camera.
>>
>>2846814
Modern slide film.
>>
lol
What happened to the film experts of /p/?
>>
>>2846814
buy a film camera converted to digital
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BwQ9jS1xKc
>>
>>2846876
Yeah, use slide film, overexpose
>>
File: Japan176mini.jpg (257 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Japan176mini.jpg
257 KB, 900x600
>>2846814
Export at 600px?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 550D
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.0.8
Serial Number1132529712
Lens NameEF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:05:25 17:34:22
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width900
Image Height600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCustom
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
shoot cheap expired film that has been left in a hot car for a day or two. it will look just like an Instagram filter
>>
Medium format ektar overexposed by 1-2 stops always looked very neutral to me, I would start with ektar and tone everything down in post
>>
"Film to digital challenge" guy checking in here. Seems like as good a shitfest as any to derail:

Did anyone ever post files for me to work with? One anon suggested he was going to provide files in "about a week" and that was more than a week ago. Just wanted to see if I had missed it.
>>
>>2846814
Shoot any high end film (Provia, Portra, Ektar, etc) and expose it nicely. Then scan it correctly, and get your color balance correct, and it will look a lot like digital. The typical things that make people flag it as film in their heads are usually flaws or obstacles in film, like color shifting, poor shadow detail retention in a poorly exposed shot, dust or scratches, low resolution, etc.

Film manufacturers worked their asses off for more than 100 years trying to get rid of all the quirks and get films that would look as "normal" and accurate as possible. People look back on films that had strange coloring and uneven saturation profiles with longing, but at the time, people were mostly annoyed by it (or just accepted that a perfect image wasn't possible) and getting film that would handle reds, greens, blues, oranges, etc. in an even balanced way was a huge challenge and a major goal. They started getting really close with the most modern stuff, to the point where even with the new portra formula, many people are disappointed that they don't get the "portra cream" without picking a scene, exposure, and light specifically for it. It's too well corrected in most cases.

The "digital" look is more or less "accurate to what was on the scene" with very little shifting or struggle, so to match the digital look with film, you need a well balanced modern film.

>spending this much time indulging a troll
>>
File: Japan181.jpg (340 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Japan181.jpg
340 KB, 900x600
>>2847418
Am I digital yet?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 550D
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.0.8
Serial Number1132529712
Lens NameEF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:05:26 05:51:34
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width900
Image Height600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCustom
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2847890
If you want to achieve digital you need to desaturate this image, try and fuck up the colours too. Oh, remove the grain and add shitty fake pixels

You must also worsen your composition, digitial cuckolds seem to have a knack for this. It is only until then can you truly achieve the terror that is digitalised photography
>>
File: Sin título-3.jpg (643 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Sin título-3.jpg
643 KB, 900x600
>>2847890

here, my bro, now you are closer to digital with those sweet isi tier digi greens.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:05:25 16:16:12
Image Width900
Image Height600
>>
>>2847603
saved, thanks based anon
>>
>>2847913
But wait, isi greens are just velvia simulation greens, so in a way that's going full circle back to a film look.

Holy fuck, I just realized that you just made film look like digital made to look like film. Mindfuck.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.