[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Manual focus on DSLR thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: QD7_7507.jpg (754 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
QD7_7507.jpg
754 KB, 1000x665
Is there a guide or something to work this thing out?
I recently bought a Quantaray 75 - 200mm 2.8 for my D700 and I love it but it's so difficult to know when the picture is in focus or not by looking in the viewfinder!
Suggestions?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D700
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.3 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern668
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:05:18 19:02:36
Exposure Time1/640 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1000
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
Live view.

The focus indicator icon is also useful and usually works.
>>
There is the option to replace the viewfinder mirror with a split-prism one, like they had on the old manual SLRs. However, KatzEye is dead and I'm not knowledgable enough to know if anyone still makes such mirrors.

Your best bet without modifying your camera is using life view and zooming in
>>
The D700 has the round eyepiece that takes D3 eyepieces, right? You can try a DK-17 or whatever it's called. I borrowed a Zeiss 2/100 and DK-17 from a friend once, and it was a piece of cake to focus on my D3S.
>>
>>2842252
Use AF focus assist or Liveview peaking.
>>
>>2842252

The focus indicator is more of a range than a spot on focus. You can start from one end of indicator, shoot continuous and rack focus slightly.
>>
>>2842252
>git gud

Nah, Liveview definitely helps, but it'll still be a matter of practice. Especially when you're in the sun and can't see the LCD well
>>
Not being a jew and paying for an autofocus lens usually works.
>>
>>2842252
You could switch to the Pentax 645D. It has a nice, big and bright viewfinder.
Otherwise, use the liveview (maybe with a display loupe, works a treat!) , an alternative focusing screen (dunno if that's available for a D700) or a lens with a focus scale.
>>
>>2842259
this is the only viable choice
>>
>>2842252
The formulas for DoF are online, but you're fucked either way.
DSLR are created for autofocus, the eyepieces are incapable of the magnification needed to tell the difference between a slightly out-of-focus picture and an in-focus picture until you pull up the laptop, download the image and find out you missed.

For still-life, you can simply spray and pray, take a dozen pictures with slightly turned focus knob and delete the out of focus ones... but getting and using a non-1950s lens would be more intelligent.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.