[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lighting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: portrait-lighting-tips.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
portrait-lighting-tips.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
Lighting - Basic Bitch Edition

A Thread to Share
>Tips
>Tricks
>Knowledge
About lighting set-ups, optimal lighting for certian styles of photography or film, the terminology, and the styles

And a thread to ask questions

Such as mine:
pretty new to photography still. Recently got into it on the begging of my Cosplaying GF

I've fallen deeply in love with the hobby, my Partner (fellow new photographer) and I have decided to set up a studio in his shed, a fairly large space with plenty of above and side natural light thanks to skylights and windows near the backdrop areas.

We would like to invest in a light set-up that doesnt rely on the natural light (for green-screen backdrops that we need evenly lit, and later day shoots) what should we start with? Most of our pictures are cosplayers, portraits with small props and set pieces

Also, slightly less urgent note, how do you do evening outdoor photography with well lit subjects?
>>
>>2837082
Oh, there are a lot of ways.

The easy options are *very big* strip lights and octaboxes together with radio triggered strobes. Godox has them fairly inexpensively, but they're going to be at their limits for groups - group shots and the ability to place lights in more distance is why you might get a huge Bowens octagon. That said, you probably don't want to spend so much right now, so... Godox or DiY it is?

You could also use YN strobes as the actual lights.

That said, you could also pick a smaller plain white room and bounce the light off the walls or such.

> how do you do evening outdoor photography with well lit subjects?
Honestly, I'd start with a single portable off-camera strobe, a radio trigger, and a human-sized reflector board on the other side so the contrast doesn't get too extreme.

Obviously having a strip light or big octabox is more fancy, but they're annoying to use outdoors due to wind and so on.
>>
File: sb-25.jpg (8 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
sb-25.jpg
8 KB, 300x240
So my local photo shop is selling a used nikon sb-25 for about $40. I've been thinking about getting an external flash for a while and might go ahead and spring for it. I know it won't have TTL metering but can still do manual.

Is this a bad idea? Should I just save up for a more modern model or will it be okay?
>>
>collegepracticefag
No one can explain me how to use that external flash, everyone is asking for perfect pics.
>shooting some political bullshit, indoors.
>get faces red or underexposed
>change settings on flash
>switch angles
>FFS HOW DO GET THIS SHIT RIGHT ?
So, my setup is canon 400D+tamron 18-200mm+canon flash(cant remeber wich model is it, cuz it aint mine). As a photographer, can i go anywhere i want? And what setting should i use to get best results ? Some tips n shit would be nice.
>>
>>2837952
I don't see the point. The problem isn't that it's a manual flash (not in a prepared shooting environment anyhow), the problem is that it's $40 for a flash that is AFAIK fairly weak and doesn't have a RF control / triggering mechanism.

Get a set of YN660 or YN560 III/IV instead, trigger with a -TX.
>>
>>2838032
>And what setting should i use to get best results ?
You want two or better three+ RF triggered strobes (portable or better studio) with at least some big diffusers for the best results in shooting (groups of) people.

If you just have one, you might want to bounce off a white wall or ceiling at full power with a somewhat powerful strobe to at least try to get somewhat good light from one somewhat diffuse light source - but it may not be the effect you're looking for. Not even if you add in a reflector close to the group to get a little light on the other side if their faces (which won't work *that* easily with a portable strobe and a group anyhow).

> tamron 18-200mm
Also not ideal 'cause not sharp as fuck, but something to address after you have your lights set up better?
>>
>>2838036
ok maybe i didnt explain this shit.
>media
>shooting some press conferences
>other stuff too
>basically everything that happens in city
>i make the visual material for media
Maybe now you will understand, it aint studio.
>>
File: sirui_ps_monopod.jpg (34 KB, 925x230) Image search: [Google]
sirui_ps_monopod.jpg
34 KB, 925x230
>>2838041
Nah, you didn't. I just assumed a comparable situation with interviews and stuff - a portable studio setup.

Well, I'd go with two powerful RF trigger-able portable strobes *with TTL* (unlike with a studio setup, you'll want the newest version of whatever TTL applies to your system) are what I'd advise. Plus a spare set of batteries and optionally a small stand or bigger self-standing monopod for one of the strobes and/or your camera.
>>
File: SKU067567k.jpg (31 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
SKU067567k.jpg
31 KB, 600x600
>>2838043
'scuse the poor sentence structure on the first sentence, I am a little distracted.

This is how a smaller stand / grip (~$3 or so in China) might look. Of course there are also better ones. Well, either way, the stands are optional.
>>
File: 1460743006455.gif (489 KB, 497x373) Image search: [Google]
1460743006455.gif
489 KB, 497x373
>>2837082
Alienbees are pretty amazing lights until you have to throw down for some high end ones. If you live in a decent sized city they can be had for very modest prices on criag's list though honestly new they're well priced. Their modifiers are little expensive but with some looking there's okay knocks offs that will do the job. If you end up doing shoots on location they pair well with the vagabond power supply that is sold by the same company.

As for set ups just buy a book. Seriously it will be easier to reference than a website on your phone or whatever. Set ups vary enough they're no quick and easy tricks.

>>2838032
seriously this >>2838036 This kind of shit will never look good unless you have way more control over lighting than they will give. Just bounce off the ceiling or wall.
>>
Bump for the lighting thread
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.