[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what editing software does everyone use and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: LightroomCC_01_top.png (296 KB, 600x370) Image search: [Google]
LightroomCC_01_top.png
296 KB, 600x370
So what editing software does everyone use and why?
>>
>>2835195
Viveza because im a beginner poorfaggot
>>
>>2835195
Darktable/Rawtherapee/Gimp or Aftershot Pro 2/Gimp on Linux
Darktable port/Rawtherapee/Gimp or Lightroom/Photoshop or Aftershot Pro2/Paint Shop Pro on Windows
There you have it, 99% of the answers you were looking for.
>>
>>2835195
Lightroom, Photoshop, and the Nik suite. (Which I actually owned before it went free.)

Photoshop because there's really no serious alternative, LR because I like the way it organizes images, and Nik because their stuff makes it easy to get good-looking results. I actually like Viveza a lot, and absolutely love CEP, these days I pretty much only use LR for organization and initial RAW conversion and Nik for everything else.
>>
>>2835220
Is Nik stand alone software?
>>
>>2835227
It's a set of plugins.
>>
>>2835238
for photoshop or lightroom?
>>
>>2835244
www.google.com
>>
>>2835227
yes, go get it and enjoy it
>>
>>2835254
You're a retard, see >>2835238.
>>
>>2835283
So what, it's free.
>>
>>2835227
You can run it stand alone, but it's a pain since it's not designed to work that way.
>>
>>2835195
>what editing software does everyone use and why?
lightroom, because it's common and easy

I use Capture 1 because it gives me more options, like much more versatile color editing, and local adjustments that I would have to open photoshop for if I used lightroom
on the shorthand C1 can't process jpegs produces from my (old and cheap) phone and it doesn't have VSCO, so I sometimes still use Lr but it's mostly C1 for when I shot digital, and rarely a film camera
>>
70% Lightroom
10% Photoshop
20% Capture one

Lots of studio's use Capture one so if you are assisting or work a lot of studio Capture is a good skill set to have. Lightroom now doing pano and HDR had dropped my Photoshop use massively.
>>
Lightroom just for catalog stuff and mass edits of work photos. I cringe when people edit stuff they actually care about just with LR.

Photoshop for most things.
Sigma Photo Pro as a necessary in-between step for when I'm fucking around with the DP2M.

Only plugins I routinely use, are some of the Color Efex things, and some VSCO stuff on LR.
>>
>>2835645
I'm still relatively new, but I thought light room did basically everything? What does it lack that's holding back my better photos?
>>
>>2835285
So it's not standalone, it's a set of plugins for adobe software.
>>
>>2835651
Layers?

Proper masks?

A non-clunky UI?
>>
>>2835651
If you need to edit down 500 images to a final 100 for an event you're going to want to do that sort of work in Lightroom, sharpen all the images in one go, maybe add some noise reduction mass editing pretty much.

When you're editing 1-2 images from a hiking trip you you want them to pop Lightroom for base then Photoshop for everything else.
>>
>>2835692
Like what work do you do in photoshop? I've never felt like lightroom wasn't enough but im just an amateur. Any videos or guides that go through editing with lightroom then photoshop?
>>
>>2835651
Lightroom has most of the basics. In Photoshop, you can get adjustment layers, blending modes, much more granular color tools, better selection tools, many more sharpening options, better resizing options, and many other tools that are only really used by professionals who want or need absolute precision control over their work.

There are some things that photoshop is absolutely invaluable for. Many high end portrait styles require very demanding skin cleanup, which isn't really possible with just lightroom.
>>
>>2835694
You have advanced masking options in ps, allowing you to make very selective adjustments to portions of the image.

I personally gave up Lightroom for Capture One. The color editing tools are much more intuitive and powerful, and it seems to handle my fuji raw files better.
>>
Mostly gimp on Windows.

99% of what I ever do is crop, curves, and sharpen.
>>
>>2836392
Let me guess, you also shoot in JPEG don't you, you filthy peasant?
>>
Rawtherapee but now trying to learn Darktable too. Rawtherapee is kind of odd to use but I really like the results, especially with the hald clut film simulations. Darktable has masks and a bunch of other useful stuff though.

I also own Pixelmator for Photoshoppy stuff but I never really use it.
>>
lightroom/camera raw, topaz denoise and photoshop. photomatix for HDR
>>
I use NIK
>>
File: niktools.jpg (50 KB, 401x600) Image search: [Google]
niktools.jpg
50 KB, 401x600
Which Nik apps do you use?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
PhotographerAJ
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
File: DSC_2649 Panoramas.jpg (3 MB, 2012x1268) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2649 Panoramas.jpg
3 MB, 2012x1268
-View NX2
for RAW editing and converting

-PTGui
Great for stitching panoramas

-Gimp
80% of my color correction,sharpening,and overall finishing up is done in this

I've been using it for five years so I'm pretty use to it, and I'm way too poor for photoshop
>>
>>2837837
you can always torrent programs
>>
Lightroom, Photoshop, Nik.
>>
>>2838287
Also StarStax, PTGui and AutoPano Giga. I use Giga rarely now that LR has boundary warp though.
>>
File: mayarochatcollage.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
mayarochatcollage.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>2835195
kinda related question:
i'm completely new to this stuff; does anyone know a good (free if possible) to edit videos? i want to do video collages adding a lot of effetcs to my videos and weird stuff like pic related.
(this is the most appropriate thread i found for this question)
>>
Is Nik's silver efex any good?
>>
Not entirely sure where to ask this, butt fuck it...

When I crop a photo, I'm able to crop heavily and still retain high quality and sharpness.

However, when I take a video, and barely crop the video, quality goes to shit immediately.

Why this discrepancy?

I'm cropping something taken with the same sensor and lens, so why the degradation in quality in video but not photo?
>>
>>2841628
resolution
>>
Lightroom cause it's easy and I don't know what I'm doing in Photoshop when it comes to photo editing and post processing.

I need to learn Photoshop.
>>
>>2841474
I like VSCO better, but it's not terrible. And plus it's free.
>>
I used to use a cracked LR, but at version 5 it was slow as hell.
Then i switched for DxO optics pro 8 because it's free as in free beer, for my e-420 and my mx-1.
On my a7ii, i use capture one, it's cheap (or free if you use the express version for sony cameras), and it does what i need. It's also supposed to have a better output than LR.
>>
>>2841631
Could you give me a little more of a detailed answer?

I don't see why there is a difference in quality when cropping a photo versus a video.
>>
>>2841688
your camera takes stills at, for example, 4256*2832(12mp) while for videos, because the file size would be atrocious at that resolution, most cameras downscale to 1920*1080(2mp)
>>
>>2841863
Also codecs work the way of compressing, so instead of recording many many stills they use a few key frames and interpolation data for the next few frames.
>>
>>2841863
I see. That makes more sense to me.My camera is shooting at 24mp for stills, but shoots 1080 for video. So your explanation makes sense.

However, I intern for a television show, and am involved with editing from time to time. I've noticed that in post, I'm able to zoom in on the video with no quality loss. And I doubt even broadcast cameras have more mp than my camera when in stills mode.
>>
Anyone know where to get Photo Ninja 1.3.3? Cheers
>>
>>2843735
https://www.picturecode.com/purchase.php
>>
>>2835195
Darktable because Linux, and i've come have my own workflow on it, if i switch to anything else it just feels weird. Also when i use Windows from time to time i tend to Lightroom/Capture One. CO is cash son
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.