[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Narrow aperture vs fast shutter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: wood-floor-turquoise.jpg (1 MB, 3122x1794) Image search: [Google]
wood-floor-turquoise.jpg
1 MB, 3122x1794
- Imagine a flat wall.
- Great daylight.
- ISO is at the lowest settings.
- But you still want the picture to be darker.

Would you increase the shutter speed, or narrow the aperture??

I tried both in different situations, sometimes I lose sharpness when narrowing the aperture to maybe F/22.
And sometimes I lose the sharpness with high speed shutter.

What do you think?
>>
I think it's best to get the most high-quality file and if you really want it to be urgently darker, you can do it in post-editing easily.
>>
>>2832472
I understand, but does it make a difference in terms of quality/sharpness if I put set the aperture so narrow vs the shutter so fast? or both are the same?
>>
>>2832475
If you're using the shutter speed to darken an image, you're most likely underexposing it which is why you lose sharpness. Same thing for aperture basically - if you're forcing the image to come out darker than it is in real life with either fast shutter or small aperture, you're underexposing it.
>>
>>2832477
Not what he's asking.

>>2832475
Image sharpness deteriorates at very small apertures because of diffraction. The effect generally isn't too noticeable. I would increase shutter speed--it would have no effect on the image in the scenario you're suggesting.
>>
>>2832467

I always run higher shutter because my pictures tend to get less sharp after f/11. If higher shutter isn't making the pictures clear you need to improve camera holding and how you press the shutter.
>>
>>2832467
Figure out the sharpest apurture for your lens, which is usually around 5.6-8, set your ISO at 100 if possible, then set the shutter speed to expose correctly.

Do the darkening in post, that will yield the best results.
>>
>>2832467
>Would you increase the shutter speed, or narrow the aperture??
Both. Just know the limit. Depending on your sensor size don't stop down further than f8 if you can afford it. Depending on your focal length you don't want to go slower than the reciprocal of you focal length (i.e. for a 28mm lens don't go slower than 1/30th of second).

Also remember your DOF. You don't want to have such a small DOF that if you move a couple of inches the wall loses sharpness. DOF is sharpest at a single point. You want to make sure that point is not so small that you miss your target.
>>
I don't understand how OP is losing sharpness when he increases shutter speed? Can someone explain this to me, or is everyone else just as confused?
>>
>>2832512
His high shutter speed is forcing his lens to go wider into an aperture that is less sharp. You learn these things from experience. It's not as intuitive sometimes.
>>
If it's really bright daylight, but you want a proper exposure at a wider aperture then get an ND (neutral density) filter to cut down the amount of light entering the camera.

I ran into this same issue shooting football video. We would have to set the shutter really fast and close the aperture all the way and it would still be too bright and look soft because of tifht aperture. ND filters were the solution.
>>
>>2832467
ND filter
>>
>>2832680
this just don't get cheap chink shit unless you have a shit lens to start with
>>
>>2835574
yeah OP, just buy sunglasses for your lens m8
>>
buy a right wing filter

make your lens great again
>>
File: 1378939648609.png (65 KB, 250x221) Image search: [Google]
1378939648609.png
65 KB, 250x221
What the fuck is going on in this thread.

OP, you retard, shutter speed is the first variable you adjust for exposure, as it has the least effect on the image (especially an image of a flat wall).

There is no reason for you to lose sharpness at high shutter speeds. That is just your imagination, poor technique or focus, or maybe all three.
>>
File: 1460322600417s.jpg (2 KB, 125x70) Image search: [Google]
1460322600417s.jpg
2 KB, 125x70
>>2835611
>he doesn't expose for earth's rotation

you're never gonna make it bro
>>
>>2835638

>he's a globehead
>he doesn't look up and see the firmament for himself

Homie if the earth is spinning why don't we feel it.
>>
>>2835662
>Homie if the earth is spinning why don't we feel it

by losing sharpness at low shutter speeds duh
>>
>>2835611
>>2835611
>>2835611
>>
>>2835611
but it is true that you actually lose sharpness at tighter apertures like f/22
>>
>>2836028
you start losing way earlier than 22
>>
File: 1436426359322.png (134 KB, 317x392) Image search: [Google]
1436426359322.png
134 KB, 317x392
shoot at f8 with good exposure and make it darker in post
>>
set shutter 1/8000
set to ISO 50
narrow aperture
f/22 will give diffraction and worse IQ
>>
Have you considered waiting until night/ turning off lights if interior wall?
Because that is the correct answer you autistic fucks.
>>
>>2836028
Most cheaper lenses loose sharpness if you don't use the apertures near their sweet spot, which is often like f/4-f/8 (but it depends on the camera system and lens).

Expensive lenses also are sharp a bit wider open / more closed, but what are the odds that you have those if you are on /p/...
>>
>>2838736
>set to ISO 50
On most cameras, the sensor signals are equal to ISO 100. Larger ISO numbers amplify that signal where Lower ISO numbers cut down the signal to match a lower exposure.

With that a step down from ISO 100 to 50 does not increase IQ, it does lower noise at the cost of highlights and dynamic range.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.