[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do you post your photos online and why? Facebook, Flickr,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: Social-Media1.jpg (99 KB, 700x367) Image search: [Google]
Social-Media1.jpg
99 KB, 700x367
Where do you post your photos online and why? Facebook, Flickr, Tumblr, Instagram, elsewhere?
>>
>>2830183
Facebook -> Reaches a broad range of normies
Instagram -> Reaches a broad range of normies + young talent

Don't post to:

Flickr -> Used to but it's just people spamming pointless shit on your photos. GR8 PHOTO 20/2312 AWARD. SHARE 5 SUCK DICK. Zero community. Surprised its still around.

500PX -> HDR Central/photoshop
>>
>>2830183
Instagram - I got really (not THAT much) popular recently, so I use it more often

Tumblr - easy and good display of photos
>>
>>2830205
>>2830189
Do they all compress images horribly?
>>
>>2830208
not too badly no, ig resizes it though and tumblr takes a max size of 10mb

afaik fb just takes a unicorn shit on the photo
>>
>>2830183
I used to really use facebook a lot, it was able to reach a large group of people. But fb has seriously fucked it up. They changed the news feed so that "People could get the feed they really wanted" which really translated to "If you want any of your material to get out to your followers, you have to pay us". So now, if you want to get seen, you can, but you've got to pay for it. But even then, most of the people you advertise to are just like bots, and gives you no real benefit.

I switched over to Instagram (which is owned by facebook). It will eventually go the way of facebook, but for right now, it works well to get your stuff out there.

I had my facebook page for roughly 3 years, and only managed to get around 500 followers, most of them fake. I've had my instagram for about a year and have over 1000 real interacting followers. I'll routinely get over 400 likes on my posts.

Instagram obviously downsizes your photo like crazy. But I have some actions that I made in photoshop that will resize and sharpen for the low resolution, so it still looks fine on Instagram. The only real downside is panoramas don't really work if that's your thing
>>
>>2830205
I've never used tumblr and recently thought about using it. How can you really use it to it's full potential to get your stuff out there?

>>2830214
I've been using instagram for a while, and even with almost 600 followers, I still routinely only get between 20-50 likes and hardly ever any comments. Any tips on getting the best use out of instagram? I have noticed time of post makes a difference, but not really all that much.
>>
>>2830214
Tips for getting followers? Posting lots of pictures, using lots of hashtags, other?
>>
>>2830215
>Any tips on getting the best use out of Instagram?

When I started, I was spamming hashtags like crazy, especially the pages that will repost your photos. But to be honest, the biggest help was spending a few bucks creatively.

Also, searching through relevant hashtags and liking photos is useful. People will be more likely to check out your photos if you interact with them. It's free advertising.

I use a website called Likestagram. What it does is you tell it hashtags to look at, and it will like a few photos here and there for you inside those hashtags. When people see you liking their photos, they're more likely to come look at your page and like and follow you. The first time I used it, I spent $10, and got 200 real followers over the course of like 3 weeks, and countless other interactions. You could do the same on your own, by just sitting there on Instagram and liking posts all day (which is what I used to do) but this just takes that work load for you. If you end up using likestagram, or you just decide to go like photos yourself, make sure you're liking photos that are VERY specific. I use sony cameras, so I'll like photos that are like #sonya7r. Use something that couldn't be confused for anything else.
>>
>>2830216
see this. It's kinda cheating, but it's very helpful
>>2830217
>>
>>2830217
shit that's a good idea, probably easy to do with their api too.
>>
>>2830222
very easy to do by hand, and it works well even if you don't pay a bot to do it for you. I honestly liked likestagram so much that I ended up buying their $35 dollar package, which will like 125,000 photos for me. You can set the rate at which it likes the photos, I have mine set at 70 per hour, which will make it last roughly 4-5 weeks of liking photos constantly.

But it works the same way if you do it yourself too
>>
>>2830227
if i end up using the api to make my own liking-bot ill post a link for you all
>>
>>2830232
>>2830227
actually there are already a few free ones on github
https://github.com/LevPasha/instabot.py
https://github.com/marclave/InstaBot
>>
>>2830233

Nice, thank you for that.
>>
>>2830215
>How can you really use it to it's full potential to get your stuff out there?
tags and good content, just the same as every other social network. Social network skills are universal desu, good content + tags + advertising (like, telling ppl about your site)
>>
Facebook and Tumblr.

I would use Insta, but they don't let me sign up on my desktop and upload from my desktop. I'm not moving photos to my phone to upload from my phone and I'm not taking photos with my phone, so fuck them. And if they DO allow me to upload from my desktop, I can't figure it out, so fuck them even more for having a shitty website.

Facebook so my friends can see.

Tumblr because I don't even know why. I don't know anyone who uses it. I don't use Tumblr for anything else and I never get any likes. I'm also pretty sure my shit doesn't show up in search results, so I don't know why I keep up with it.
>>
>>2830237
The real question are what tags i should use.
>>
Nowhere, but I'll start uploading to my own website eventually.
>>
>>2830274
It depends on the people you want to attract ( I assume you're talking about the like bots )

I spilt mine between these two groups

1: Peers
2: Consumers

For peers, I use hastags like #canon_photos, #sonya7, #longexposure

Those are all hastags that would ONLY be used by photographers

For consumers I use hastags like #fineart for people that might be looking for prints (not likely on instagram)

You can really use anything you'd like, just keep in mind to keep it specific enough that it couldn't get confused like #landscape, that could be paintings, or actual land scaping. And don't make it too specific that nobody would ever use that hashtag.
>>
ITT: photography reduced to bots feeding bots.
>>
>>2830298
Not really. The amount of bots on Instagram is very small. And they're noticeable when they interact with your page. If you post a photo, and 1-5 seconds later, you have likes by random people, that's a bot.

But the point of the like bot, isn't to get more likes on your photos, it becomes important when the people go look at your page, like what they see, and then follow you.
>>
>>2830208
Not to an extent to where I care. I do print sales so compression doesn't really effect me desu, if i want to show off my quality then i have my website for that side. Also i forgot to mention tumblr is alright, but its similiar to flickr in the sense the majority of your crowd will be very specific
>>
Why is it that every photo on Flickr has people posting "congrats you won xxx award, follow for 30 photomeme points"

Do other sites have this shit?
>>
>>2831077
That sounds like xbox live for photography.
>>
>>2830183
Honestly, G+. There I can share it with exactly who I want to share it with.
>>
>>2831261
i put most of my pictures onto google photos i just never share them
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-04-19-45-00.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-04-19-45-00.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
Honestly Instagram + a website and if you're interesting a side blog or a blog on your website.
Everything else is useful but in my opinion not a necessity. I've only been on Instagram a year and my growth is really steady just use the same hashtags a lot like right now I'm really pushing to be part of the Fuji community and am in talks to become an X photographer for Fuji.
>>
>>2831377
>am in talks to become an X photographer for Fuji.
Bullshit.
The first requirement is that you be a full time working photographer, and with results like that, that's not you.
>>
>>2831388
I am a full time working pro, I use my fuji gear for weddings, events, I'm the main photographer for SSE, Barclays London social sector and others. I just don't post boring corporate shit to my Insta It's a place for me to try other things.
Stop being salty. Also I'm 22 so I might be the youngest if it happens.

https://www.the-sse.org
>>
>>2831392
Oh, well in that case, I take it back, and I'm sorry! It would be badass for you, and I'm pretty jealous which may affect my mood about it...
>>
>>2831398
It's all good this place has so many fucking trolls its hard to have a genuine dialogue anyway!

If you saw the hours you have to work you would not be jelly its total bullshit bu
>>
>>2831401
Other than the neat "I'm A Fuji X Photographer!" stuff, and the loaner/test equipment, are there any actual benefits? I was under the impression they're not paid by Fuji, and get little to no discounts on gear?
>>
tumblr is bretty good with the sizes/photosets/layout

i refuse to show serious work on ig so people can see it on a tiny ass screen. fuck that, i just post mobile pics there

facebook is awful with the compression and too many faggots trying to rob pics
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.