[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A few months ago, I was convinced on IRC to buy a mirrorless
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 27528_Nikon_1_J1_left.png (119 KB, 700x595) Image search: [Google]
27528_Nikon_1_J1_left.png
119 KB, 700x595
A few months ago, I was convinced on IRC to buy a mirrorless - specifically the Nikon 1 j1 (pic related). Being the naive person I was, I hadn't thought much of it, and have actually had a good experience with it for some time.

The problem I see, however, is that most "pros", or even people on /p/, are using a DSLR and not mirrorless like the one I have.

What are the real "pros" and "cons" to having a camera like mine, the Nikon 1 J1, as opposed to the cheap point-and-shoot cameras and DSLRs?
>>
>>2824305
Nothing
>>
To add, I don't even think buying a camera like this was worth it. I see people taking pictures from their iPhones, which look great.
>>
Shorter flange distance for adapting lenses.
Just not really worth it with the Nikon J series since they tried even less than Canon did with their mirrorless body.

I guess since no-one buys them, they're cheaper than your average premium compact at least.
>>
I bought a white Nikon j3 and I sold it shortly after. I'm not sure what possessed me to buy one, I actually thought they looked good. Now I think they're a little too sterile-looking.

Probably not true for the later ones, but definitely the j3, felt purposely gimped in features for the consumer.

I liked being able to bounce the flash on the roof. Was pretty useful. I think they have a nice selection of lenses.

I was gonna buy a Nikon J5 because it seemed like Nikon had gotten it together and built a good mirrorless, and it looks nice too. But then I saw a good deal on a Pentax Q-S1, same price I could get standard and telephoto zoom lenses. Considering what the J5 comes with, it's still not bad, but I figured that buying more lenses would be a bit too much for my needs. With the new DL series, those are more than likely better to get. The 70-300 for nikon 1 looks really good though and the new DL series doesn't cover that range.

If you're gonna get a Nikon 1 and viewfinder is not a big deal, I'd go for J5
>>
The main problem with the Nikon 1 for me is sensor size, it's so much less even than Micro 4/3, and without a substantial size advantage to make up for the noticeable drop in quality. I still prefer MILCs to DSLRs but I would never go Nikon (tiny sensors) or Canon (2 alternative lenses)
>>
File: DSCF0911.jpg (962 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0911.jpg
962 KB, 2272x1704
For me the lack of a viewfinder puts it dead in the water.
Also, if you wanted compact and good value, a Samsung NX3000 or similar has a bigger sensor and better image quality whilst being about £150 for the body and kit lens.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelFinePix S5500
Camera SoftwareDigital Camera FinePix S5500 Ver1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Maker Note Version0130
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2008:08:03 11:13:05
Exposure Time1/420 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating64
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Brightness9.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length40.50 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2272
Image Height1704
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationNormal
Flash ModeOff
Macro ModeOff
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeAuto
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusOK
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
>>2824305
Hey OP the only reason people buy "pro" cameras is to avoid feeling like you feel right now. You have a camera that you yourself say you have "a good experience with". You are just wondering "what if?". What if you had a "pro" camera? What if you had a bigger sensor? What if you had an optical viewfinder?

Most cameras are over designed. A phone camera or a camera like you have is as capable of producing an image as good as any pro camera. "Pro" cameras don't make any better photos and they are only needed by 1% of the people who actually buy them.

Then again most people on /p/ don't "need" anything more than their cell phone camera. It's just a hobby. It's fun to have an over-engineered camera that costs more than what half of the world makes in a year.

This is how we spend our money. This is our idea of fun.
>>
>>2824418
Mostly this, you'll notice a difference in quality if you pixel peep, but for the most part, it will do what everything else does.

However, it's when your photography starts getting more technical, maybe you want to shoot in lower light, maybe you want that shallow depth of field. Then a 'pro' slr is useful.

When you learn to drive, you don't learn is a race car.
>>
>>2824305
"Pro" cameras have features that can make the photographic process less of a hassle and some effects easier to achieve. Do you feel limited by what your J1 has to offer? No? Then there's no reason to change. Cheap P&S and DSLRs are crap and the only reason to switch would be wanting an optical viewfinder. Sure, you don't look "pr0" to the average man, but what's the problem with that? People who care about looks buy Leicas and swing them around like handbags while knowing barely anything about what exposure is. My problem with small mirrorless systems is the crop ratio which rules out using some of my favorite film system lenses.
>>
>>2824305
EOS M owner here
I don't know what the AF is like on that, but the focussing on this is shocking. On the plus side the EF-M 22mm was like £40 and the body + kit was £200 new 2 years ago.

Aside from AF, the other downside is the lack of a viewfinder.

The benefit is the flange distance. Cheap, high quality, legacy lenses can be used while retaining infinity. Focus can be guessed.
I can pocket the camera.
>>
>>2824305
>j1
that thing is like 4 years old.
at least get a j5.
>>
>>2824462
no focus peaking.
magic lantern peaking is pretty useless.
adapters for legacy lenses usually let the focus pass infinity. the only fix is adjusting the helicoid. i did it with my pentax m.
>>
>>2824474
yeah, you're right about focus peaking
my bad about infinity
can you give more info on adjusting the helicoid?

how have you found the EOS M
>>
>>2824309
I'm absolutely certain that if you asked a series of questions that led to people suggesting the Nikon 1 to you, they first suggested just using a modern cell phone.
>>
I didn't even know Nikon had a mirrorless body.
>>
>>2827101
Because it's terrible.
>>
OP was too late to try j1 with 10mm and 18.5mm primes. They actually do stand out and perform better than press-to-unlock zoom. Better than any point-and-shoot or phone in terms of AF and shooting speed.
But when some faggotry starts worshipping black huge cameras of "pros", just instead of analysing what makes pictures do stand out and capture eye on the captured moment, OP can't be cured nor helped.
Should have went to GearThread or post samlpes.
>>
>>2827127
>Better than any point-and-shoot
nigga wut?
>>
>>2824305
I don't remember you but if you were convinced into buying that shit, it was probably isi or ricoh trolling you.
>>
I bought the Nikon 1 J2. For 150 Euros. I mean COME ON you cant get better for that amount of shekels.
>>
>>2827202
The EOS M kills it friend.
>>
>>2824474
>>2824486
Magic lantern peaking on EOS M is actually great if you take like, 5 seconds to tweak it
>>
>>2824418
I bought a "pro camera" after I pretty much maxed out my phone attempting to take an amazing shot in a misty, ferny gully. The picture ended up being filled with noise and artifacts and was pretty much ruined.
>>
>>2827101
It's at best a point and shoot with interchangeable lenses and technical controls. If it had a viewfinder I would have considered buying it when I first decided to get a camera.
>>
File: DSC_4731.jpg (640 KB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4731.jpg
640 KB, 3872x2592

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON 1 J1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.5 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2014:06:30 02:07:28
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length10.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: DSC_5653-1.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5653-1.jpg
56 KB, 1280x720

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.5 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2014:06:23 19:31:11
>>
>>2827143
'on IRC' doesn't necessarily mean #/p/
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.