[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think I should go to photography university ? I wisited
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: -02.jpg (204 KB, 3251x1662) Image search: [Google]
-02.jpg
204 KB, 3251x1662
Do you think I should go to photography university ? I wisited it today and everyone looks like some stoned degenerate brain-dead politically correct proggressive feminazi commie liberal.
pic unrelated.
>>
PROTIP:
You donĀ“t
>>
>>2821450
Look for job openings as a photographer.
#1 You wont find any.
#2 They wont say "required degree in photography".
#3 This is one of the few fields left where merit still counts.
>>
>>2821457
I don't care about "working" as a photographer. If I want, I can go to any other university. For me, my work is highly personal.
>>
>>2821462
So you want to go to a university for photography, and get a degree in that field, but don't plan on working in that field?

Don't tell me you are going to pay 100k for some joke education, then blame republicans because you are poor and jobless afterwards?
>>
Ive heard its better to get a business degree
>>
>>2821472
You are being trolled.
>>
>>2821472
>Don't tell me you are going to pay 100k for some joke education, then blame republicans

Not everyone is American here. For example id OP is Scottish University is completely free.
>>
>>2821500
ohhh god, even worse. You pay for idiots to get worthless degrees?
>>
You know what's ironic is that I've spent more than the equivalent amount of hours it would take to get a bachelor's and MFA in photography just shitposting on /p/, and my photos still suck.

I'm sure that's true for a good chunk of this board too.
>>
>>2821506

Yeah and also for other peoples healthcare, police, fire services, library and general civil maintenance to name a few. We pay taxes in an attempt to raise the baseline standard of living for the whole country. It makes the whole country a much nicer place than it would be otherwise.

I do agree that some degrees are useless and shouldn't be offered to people, but the idea of free education is great.

Taxes aren't evil.
>>
>>2821519
police, fire services, library and general civil maintenance, these are fine.

Most education leaves the student just as worthless to society as they were before entering Uni. Almost all the learning you experience in a field happens on the job. To pay for retards to spend 4 years "learning" about some stupid easy field is retarded.
>>
>>2821529
>To pay for retards to spend 4 years "learning" about some stupid easy field is retarded.

lookit me i din need no edgicashun and i'm doin just fine!
>>
>>2821535
good one man
>>
>>2821450
No. You'll probably get bored and you won't fit in with the SJW's.

Overall, college education isn't worth it anymore. Most people end up working jobs completely unrelated to their degree.
>>
Actual photography student here. Name of the university?

Any other questions? I can redpill you on everything you want to know.
>>
>>2821529

There needs to be some refinement in the system. In many cases the course content is fine but the number of people doing it is ridiculous. Uni shouldn't be for everyone but only for the academically inclined. The bar for entry should be much much higher.
>>
>>2821579
yeah this is really the problem, you have 100 people in engineering and only 10 of them actually get an engineering job, while the rest end up as general laborers who support the successful engineers.
>>
>>2821579
This. My country has "free" post-secondary education.

Literally everyone studies engineering, med school or law school, to the point where these are becoming so generic that, if you want to work in those fields, you need a PhD, because everyone is a bachelor.

It's very commonplace to hear people say "These social programs are so good. I'm the first generation in my family to go to college." Yeah, because otherwise they'd be homeless. Their grandfather didn't go to college and he still managed to buy a house, a car and raise 3 children.
>>
>>2821650
>if you want to work in those fields, you need a PhD, because everyone is a bachelor.

Uh, well, in America you need a doctorate to work in two of those fields already.
>>
>>2821570
Unless you get into one of the top art schools darling and the degree is fucking worthless. A photography degree is worthless, a photography degree from say UAL, Ravensbourne, The Royal Academy opens doors.

I went with Ravensbourne I left 2 years ago I've had non stop paid work since I'm very comfy.
>>
File: Smile Up close.png (161 KB, 397x303) Image search: [Google]
Smile Up close.png
161 KB, 397x303
>>2821450
Learn something related to media if your REALLY want to get into photography-related stuff and actually learn an appicable field, like publishing, media-design, web-programming, marketing, HELL even fucking art-history would be better than "photography".
Here's how those lifestyle-studies always go:
>1st semester: basic introduction to the broad field like visual theory, media history, ideological history
>2nd semester: a bunch of courses deepening the previous fields plus extra ones that tell you how fucking great your chosen study is
>3rd semester: final entry to the basic courses, more courses that tell you how awesome you are for choosing this study
>4th semester: nonesense and preparation to pretending to be an actual student for the last 2 semesters
>5th+6th semester: "how to do what talented people do before the end of highschool in a pseudo-academic matter" and "how every problem on the world relates to [STUDY] and vice versa"

In the meanwhile, STEMlords learn how to describe the world, solve problems and do their own shit, Economics-students will be able to run their own business and even literature- or philosophy-students will have read and crammed more material that you have in your Flickr-account
>>
>>2821650
>Their grandfather didn't go to college and he still managed to buy a house, a car and raise 3 children

Its harder for young people these days regardless of education or job. In the UK house prices have gone up dramatically and disproportionately to earnings. The financial crash fucked everything up for today's youth and its only starting to get back to "normal".
>>
>>2821651
You don't need a PhD to work in any of those fields...
>>
>>2821675

I didn't say PhD, I said doctorate. You need a doctorate to be a medical doctor, lawyers have a JD (or the equivalent).
>>
>>2821677
It still fucks my head that the LLM (masters) is higher than the JD (doctorat)....
>>
>>2821654
Get a load of this guy...
>>
>>2821654
Shut the fuck up Moopco, you're a drug dealer that lives off of your mum
>>
>>2821529
>Most education leaves the student just as worthless to society as they were before entering Uni.
Mt God! You're so right! What were all those countries who thought that free education was a good idea thinking? Countries like the UK (and specifically Scotland)?
Oh, wait...
http://www.bloomberg.com/slideshow/2013-02-01/50-most-innovative-countries.html#slide1
>>
>>2821457
You're right in that there aren't any job openings for photographers, at all
>>2821450
When studying my degree they gave me lots of advice on starting my own business
They also let you borrow a load of ludicrously expensive equipment for you to use in your projects and at your job

I'm a right-wing traditionalist and I went to an art school. The course was dripping with Marxism but the lecturers were open to debate
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.