[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /p/ I just got a Nikon D5300 with the 18-55mm DX VR 1:3.5-5.6
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: DSC_0048 - Copy.jpg (3 MB, 4500x3000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0048 - Copy.jpg
3 MB, 4500x3000
So /p/ I just got a Nikon D5300 with the 18-55mm DX VR 1:3.5-5.6 GII lens, I'm having trouble focusing on my dog when its sprinting, is it the lens or the camera thats the issue (or me)

>p.s why wont /p/ take straight out of the camera 6000x4000 px shots?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5300
Camera SoftwareVer.1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern15224
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)82 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2013:01:19 08:30:41
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating220
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length55.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2812978

Because nobody needs your shitty pics in full resolution. Rules are in the pinned thread.

>Please post images that are JPG format, smaller than 1 MB, and/or about 1000 pixels on the longest side.

And I'd say it's all three.
>>
>>2812978
4chan has a 5mb file size limit, that's why. Also we don't need to load your fuckhuge picture to tell you that it's not a good picture. 1000 to 1500 px on the longest edge is good enough to get a good feel for the picture without having a massive file.

Now onto your problem: your issue comes from the autofocus speed of your body. Lower end DSLRs tend to lack in the autofocus speed area, this is usually not a problem for most people.

What you can do: Shell out for a professional tier body and fast lenses, or zone focus. By this I mean set your lens to manual focus, use the focus ring so that the area you think your dog will be in is in focus, set your aperture to f8 or higher so that the area in focus is larger and you have a higher margin for error. Watch your dog run and when he enters into your focused zone snap the picture (press the button all the way down in one motion since you won't be using AF). This is the way people photographed sport back when autofocus did not exist, and is still how anyone worth their salt does street photography.
>>
>>2813005
Thanks for the reply,
I understand now about picture size and will post smaller pictures from now on. I will try zone focusing, google also suggested using 3d tracking mode on this camera might be successful.
>>
>>2812978
Another problem might not just be the area of focus but also your shutter speed. If your image is exposed too long the movement of the dog will blur it no matter how nicely you focus. Try going higher to 1/500 or even 1/1000 second.
>>
>>2813005
>Hi I'm a begginer with a problem focusing
>Buy a 1500$ body
/p/ in a nutshell

OP, your camera can do this, you just have to be practical and do the best with what you have (which is a lot). The D5300 has several autofocus settings on the setting menu (3D tracking, single point AF, area AF...).

For focusing, it uses something called AF Points, those black dots that you see in the viewfinder. For moving objects you can use 3D tracking and let the camera do it automatically, but you'll miss a lot of shots. What I'd do is to set the focus point I want (you'll see it turns red in the viewfindee when focusing) and with the camera handheld follow the dog to try keeping it in that dot.
After that, from the main screen with your apperture and shutter speed settings, set the AF mode to AF-C and she sutter mode to continuous shooting (camera keeps taking pictures while the shutter button is pressed).

Do all of the above and you'll have your camera focusing and shooting continuously, keeping in focus whatever is in the focus point you selected.

The more light there is in the place, the better for your focusing speed (AF works slowlier inlow light). Keep using F/8, that's perfect for what you need.

Now keep practicing and nail that shot, your camera is way more than enough for that if you are skilled.
>>
>>2813034
Thanks for the detailed reply, will give it a shot
>>
>>2813034
It was clearly not an actual suggestion. I was suggesting zone focus as my main point.

Also $1500 is not pro body tier. You're looking closer to $6000 for something you'd find Football photographers using
>>
>>2813038
>Telling a beginner to manual focus in an open field with no clear reference points and wait for a moving subject with unpredictable movements (a dog) to get into the focused area, then shoot and beg God you did it in time.

>That last comment implying autofocus shouldn't be used street photographers if they want to be worth it. Purism 101.

Yeah you're a fucking smartass. Just kill yourself.
>>
Buy the 18-55 AFP when it gets released. It will have step motor and will focus faster.
>>
>people took pictures like these long before af was a thing

>hurr durr matey buy new gear your current year gear isn't good enough ;^)
>>
>>2813083
They weren't doing it on a D5300, with a dslr kit lens, both of which are absolutely not designed for manual focusing.
>>
practice practice practice
try different AF modes
after 2k shots you will learn how to get 25% success rate, this is very high even for expensive cameras

or get d5
or get slower dog
>>
>>2812978
Set the camera to AF-C. or just use your phone.

Read the camera manual before googling, and read the sticky before posting.
>>
>>2813005
Also, when using zone focus technique you may want to use continuous shutter to snap several shots when subject is in/near desired focus zone.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.