[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beginner Astrophotography/nightsky
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 15
File: nikond3200.jpg (82 KB, 960x562) Image search: [Google]
nikond3200.jpg
82 KB, 960x562
I just got my first DSLR and I'm almost solely interested in nightysky / astrophotography. That being said I just have the started kit with the 18-55mm lense. I plan on getting a couple lenses in a month or 2. Any help on Settings for the time being and what my first purchase for astrophotography should be?
>>
>>2810032

first order of business is to get yourself a tripod.
>>
>>2810032
You're going to get torn up by some of the posters on here for your thread, but you can do some okay stuff with the setup you got.
You can prop your camera against a shirt or something to makeshift a tripod until you buy one, but for starters, I'd try the 18mm end of the lens, and try and find a super bright star or the moon and use Live View magnification and manual focus to fine-tune the focus as sharp as possible, then because of the rotation of the planet, you're limited to about 25 second exposure before the stars begin to drag and smear, called star-trails.
To figure out what shutter speed to use, you can take your focal length you like, and divide it by 400 (some say 500, but let's be safe). so, your 18mm plus the crop factor means about 27 seconds. Now, if you used a 100mm lens, you could only take a 0.25 second exposure without getting star trails, which is very low. If you had, say, a 10mm lens, you could do 40 seconds, much higher than 18mm. so the difference is big dependign on focal length.
For aperture, wide open the kit lens is going to be icky, so use f/5.6, but also try another shot as wide as the aperture goes, cause it can make the image a lot brighter.

I'd try at 1600, then 3200, then 6400 ISO, and see how well the stars come out. Make sure to set the self timer on to minimize shake after you press the shutter.

Be aware that astrophotography setups are very expensive, and it's a deep rabbit hole and also inevitable hole in your wallet and bank account, but you could make do with just a wide prime, like some of the Samyangs people have been using.
>>
>>2810032
Tripod
Very wide fast lens (potentially samyang/rokinon)
Newtonian telescope and mount adapter
Tracking mount
Gas money to get away from light pollution.
>>
File: image.jpg (413 KB, 2048x1356) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
413 KB, 2048x1356
Eh op I was in your shoes a couple months ago, got into photography through the stars, bought a d5100 with the kit lens, works pretty well. Would be better if I was away from all city lights. I'm excited for summer for when I can see the core of the Milky Way.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2048
Image Height1356
>>
I just got a tripod given to me by my GF's Dad! So I am good on that front.

I heard the Samyang 85 is a good lense?!?!

And I am aware that I can get some great starter shots with just this setup. Again kinda the whole reason I got a dslr is for the exposure controls that most point and shoots lack. Unfortunately here in AK I'm running out of time for good night shots Haha
>>
>>2810055

Appreciate that very helpful guide. And lets face it. This is 4chan. I expected people coming in shouting about needing thousand dollars scopes and tracking arms. XD As of now only had very helpful replies. Awesome.
>>
>>2810064

Nice shot, Pretty much the style of pictures I was planning to go for for the time being. Love the railing in the foreground and is that Orion?! Looks sweet man.
>>
>>2810069
If you mean the Samyang 85mm, yeah it's "good", but not for astro, unless you have a tracking mount. You want wiiide.
>>
>>2810057
>Gas Money
the most important
>>
>>2810089

Cool That's one thing I am glad to be informed of and I did read that wide is better but I've been browsing lots of forums so I'm getting a lot of information and have to filter through what's useful and not.
>>
>>2810042
Then a remote control, wired or wireless.
>>
>>2810096

I live in Alaska Not too hard to get away from light pollution here except for anything from the end of may till beginning of august. XDXD
>>
Is 8mm a good lens for astro?
>>
>>2810055
I didn't understand.

You get the focal length and divide by 400?

So 18mm -> 18/400 = 0,045

10mm -> 10/400 = 0,025

Something is weird here.
>>
>>2810073
Yea it's Orion, I'm planning on going on a lot of camping trips this summer, I live in Ontario, so there's lots of good spots within a 4 hour drive from me
>>
>>2810101
Fuck, nice!!! Great match-up of interest and location! I look forward to seeing your results as you grow!
>>
>>2810109
500/focal length
18mm, on a crop camera?
18mm x 1.5 = 27mm
500/27 = 18 seconds
>>
>>2810109
In division generally you want the larger number first in the equation.
>>
File: Marsh Grande 2.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1006) Image search: [Google]
Marsh Grande 2.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1006
>>2810105
I've used my 8mm fishy for nighttime shots before, on fullframe I can expose for about 50 seconds before startrails start. It's decent. Framing is hard due to how much shit it includes in the photo.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareDigital Photo Professional
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.1.6
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2015:12:31 01:16:26
Exposure Time46.6 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramUnknown
ISO Speed Rating1000
Lens Aperturef/inf
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length0.00 mm
Image Width1500
Image Height1006
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeUnknown
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeCenter-Weighted
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeManual
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length2 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed268
Color Matrix129
>>
So in terms of lenses is there such thing as too wide? If I were to say buy an 8mm as opposed to a 14mm would it give me better results or simply show more of the sky?
>>
>>2810124
Yeah that fisheye includes so much!!! But the star quality looks great the constalations are very vivid.
>>
>>2810125
Another 8mm sample, dug this out of my Lightroom catalog because I don't intend on posting it anywhere. Unless you had a huge field and could align the horizon perfectly, it will be warpy.
>>
File: wideasfuarg.jpg (375 KB, 1000x675) Image search: [Google]
wideasfuarg.jpg
375 KB, 1000x675
>>2810129
would help to include the image I suppose.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:04:06 20:29:11
Exposure Time55 sec
Exposure ProgramUnknown
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
>>2810131

Yeah there is no doubt that the sky looks awesome and I can probably find places with a wide enough view to avoid the warble but I probably will be avoiding fisheye.
>>
>>2810163
Samyang 14mm is prob your best bet, chap. I think that's the one that everyone raves about.
>>
File: celestron_nexstar_4se.jpg (85 KB, 350x562) Image search: [Google]
celestron_nexstar_4se.jpg
85 KB, 350x562
On the topic of later on, Anyone have any experience with tracking mounts? The Nexstar 4SE Isn't too expensive. I plan to get something like that plus a good lense and NokiaBackyard software

Camera SoftwarePaint.NET v3.5
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2007:02:03 09:34:54
Image Width350
Image Height562
>>
Can't Wait to Shoot some Aurora Now that I have a better camera. This was done with a point and shoot. Nikon coolpix L120
>>
File: tysenpai.jpg (430 KB, 5152x3864) Image search: [Google]
tysenpai.jpg
430 KB, 5152x3864
yeee
>>
>>2810247

Mind if I ask what equipment you used?
>>
>>2810249
Nikon CoolPix L340. It's an abolutely shit camera, and you have to work harder to get better photos. I took about four photos to get the exposure right, and got this one.
>>
>>2810250

Dude that's amazing, My coolpix Had no definition on moon shots just bright lights. XD no matter how much I adjusted the iso and maxed the exposure. I'm impressed.
>>
File: jJatngy.jpg (814 KB, 5152x3864) Image search: [Google]
jJatngy.jpg
814 KB, 5152x3864
>>2810255
Yeah? Thanks! I'm really new to photography and am pretty sensitive about my shots because I refuse to edit. Your pics are way better than mine, but thank you for the compliment!
>>
File: Astro2.jpg (1 MB, 6016x4000) Image search: [Google]
Astro2.jpg
1 MB, 6016x4000
Whelp The sky finally cleared and I was able to take a few shots tonight.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3200
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern802
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Image Created2016:04:08 00:42:47
Exposure Time20 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length18.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: Astro1.jpg (1 MB, 6016x4000) Image search: [Google]
Astro1.jpg
1 MB, 6016x4000
Here's the second. I like this one but wish I could got outta town. Gotta be up in 6 hours though so no time for a drive tonight.

Camera ModelNIKON D3200
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
Color Filter Array Pattern802
Image Created2016:04:08 00:40:11
Exposure Time25 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length18.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
Oi namefag! I hope you realize there is already an astrophotography thread going on. Not that posting there would matter, your name is already filtered out by most on the board.
>>
>>2810986

This isn't an astrophotgraphy thread, this is give me advice I'm a noob thread. But thanks.
>>
>>2811277
Focus better, and get away from lights.
>>
>>2811277
Here's a tip for you:
DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH YOU LAZY FUCK!
>>
>>2811278
Any advice for focusing on the stars? All I see through the viewfinder is small dots. And yeah I know I was too close to light. This was just an experiment from my backyard. It was the first clear night since I got the camera but I didn't have time to drive out of town.
>>
>>2811279
Lawl

This is research dumbass.
>>
>>2810258
>pretty sensitive about my shots because I refuse to edit.
Why? Literally every photo ever has been edited.
>>
>>2811282
>Lawl
Please fuck off.
>>
>>2811281
Switch to live-view, crank the ISO or shutter speed for maximum exposure (just for the preview) and with the digital magnification thing ( I think Nikons have it), find the brightest star, and fine-tune the manual focus. Then don't touch the focus ring again and dial in the right settings.
>>
>>2811305
Thanks man. Will definitely give that a try.
>>
>>2810192
that's a bad mount for photography. A computerized altazimuth mount will track things in the sky, but they'll appear to slowly rotate. You still get star trails, just of a different shape. You can fuck around with wedges on some fork mounts, but why. Get a german equatorial mount.

note that in telescope mounts you get what you pay for. Some $150 mount is not worth buying.
>>
>>2811446
Not to mention those cheap shits are inaccurate in both positioning and tracking for long exposure (>1s) with a DSLR. Visual exploration only, hence why those are marketed as beginner sets.
For a good tracking mount for DSLR there are the iOprton tracker, Vixen Polaire, Astrotrack tracker etc... and the DIY option is a barndoor mechanism either the old analog drive or the digital drive with a cheap chinese Arduino set (including the stepper motor, drive board and LCD display with buttons).
>>
>>2810986
Why tf did u have to come into a pretty decent thread and pointlessly start shit, everyone was having a decent discussion and giving newbie advice.
>>
iOptron 3302B SkyTracker Camera Mount is not cheap at $299.99 on amazon but it will definitely do the job of keeping those stars pin spots.
>>
>>2810124
Good iso choice on this one anon
>>
File: Brettygudslr.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1345) Image search: [Google]
Brettygudslr.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1345
Is the Nikon Coolpix P900 good for astrophotography?
>>
>>2813815
No. The very small sensor means that it will perform poorly in low light. Also I'm almost 100% it's not an SLR like your title suggests, but a mirrorless camera with an electronic viewfinder. It certainly doesn't look like there's room for the mirror or prism assembly that one would find in a SLR
>>
>>2813815
lol fuck no, don't fall for this meme camera
>>
>>2813816
I;m going to be honest. I know it's a mirrorless but I thought it was also an slr
>>
>>2813818
SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex. The light from the lens enters the body of the camera, is reflected upwards into a prism which reflects it into the eyepiece. This is why it's called an optical viewfinder, because you are seeing exactly what is coming through the lens. The reflex part of the name comes from the mirror flipping up out of the way as the photo is taken.

A Mirrorless camera, as the name would suggest has no mirror. Instead the viewfinder shows a direct video feed from the sensor. That is why the viewfinders are called electronic viewfinders, as they are not a complex set of mirrors reflecting the light from the lens into your eye, but a very small screen relaying the video feed from the sensor. The advantage of mirrorless is you can make the camera far smaller since you do not have to accommodate a large mirror and prism assembly

The diagram here shows you what I mean
>>
>>2813819

I see. Thank you.
>>
>>2813819
Is having an optical viewfinder the only benefit of a DSLR?
>>
>>2813872
Faster auto-focus, faster continuous shooting, far better batter life, wider range of lenses and an optical viewfinder to name a few

DSLRs and Mirrorless are no better or worse than each other. They both have their pros and cons, you just need to work out which will suit you more
>>
>>2813872
Not having an EVF is the main reason I'll never use a DSLR again, so it's literally all subjective (go figure)

As of April 2016 though, battery life and autofocus capabilities are still real advantages of DSLRs.
>>
>>2813876
DSLRs can also have electronic viewfinders in addition to all the other advantages.

One button press on my 7d mkii to go into LiveView mode where the screen shows a digital feed from the sensor instead of looking down the eyepiece into the mirror.
Sometimes it's useful (you can press a button to zoom the liveview in 5x or 10x in addition to the lens magnification, helpful for manual focusing really precise)
There are drawbacks to not blocking the sensor with a mirror though, like if you have the sun in frame for too long (even if it's just mirrorless preview, no snapping a picture), you can destroy your sensor permanently (since the mirror is not shielding the sensor)
>>
>>2813880
live view on the back of the camera is not the same as an EVF. You lose the shielding from the light, you lose the comfortable hold position, you lose the third stabilization point that you have in your brow bone when shooting "correctly"

>you can destroy your sensor permanently
This is true I'm sure, but I've never heard of it happening to anyone.
>>
File: DSC_1983.jpg (499 KB, 848x1024) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1983.jpg
499 KB, 848x1024
expecting northern lights tonight. this photo was just from outside my window but im planning on actually going out tonight to a mountain/hill. any tip or anything i should think of to improve the results? i'll probably try to compose the shot so it includes the city in the valley (under this pic)

Camera ModelNIKON D60
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Color Filter Array Pattern736
Image Created2016:04:10 11:47:23
Exposure Time20 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating140
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length18.00 mm
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-12-16-56-20.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-12-16-56-20.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>2810032
I have a d5300 and the crappy 18-55mm kit lens. When I started shooting stars I used a crappy 10 dollar tripod and got some pretty good results. I used about a 25s exposure at ISO 16000 and f3.5 I believe.
>>
>>2813876
Besides product photography, size and weight (although lenses affect this) and *certain* astrophotography, DSLR fares better with its optical view finder in almost every other aspect.
>>
>>2814045
>DSLR fares better with its optical view finder in almost every other aspect.
In what way? My reasons for preferring an EVF are:
Live histogram, photo effect preview, live in-VF level, focus assists (Split prism, glowing edges, etc).

More modern EVFs are also huge, and have awesome refresh rates.
>>
>>2812412

That is one that has not come up in my research but Doesn't sound extremely pricey. I'm gonna look into it for sure.

>>2813907

Wow dude, That'a a a great shot I would be extremely happy to get a shot like that Definitely what I'm looking for before I start buying expensive lenses for nebula's and shit.
>>
>>2811655
Also thanks, Kinda felt the same way. was getting a lot of helpful advice so I appreciate you /p/!
>>
>>2810064

What the process like for photos like this? Post editing? wha?
>>
Basic set-up should be;
- fast lens (wide for Milkyway, super tele for planetary/extra solar)
- biggest and heaviest tripod you can afford
- laptop connected to your DSLR for large liveview display (wifi is better over USB/ethernet due to less chances of moving DSLR).

Last one is a must for any serious astrophotographer or a beginner to get really good shots.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.