[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shooting events
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 4233-FujiF203quart.jpg (38 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
4233-FujiF203quart.jpg
38 KB, 500x375
Ok, so it turns out I'll have to be a photographer for upcoming big semi-formal event... having no photography skills and a simple compact digital camera (pic related).

I know basics of using camera, but how do I pretend to know what I'm doing without looking awkward? Any tips on how should I behave or what sould I concentarte on?
>>
>>2805662
Edit: Quality can be secondary. I'm more interested in what sould I shoot and from which angle. Stuff like that.
>>
Uhhh. You won't be using that camera, right?
>>
>>2805665
I don't even own a camera. I was told I'll have to attend at the last minute, so I doubt there will be time to rent something decent. So yeah...
>>
Your phone will likely perform better than that camera. Borrow any camera from someone you know that is either recent and not completely casual or old but expensive at the time it was released. You can take sufficiently good photos with pretty much any recent dedicated camera that's £100+. Super CCD was cool at the time but now sadly does not compete with phone cameras. Other people will give you advice on what you should be aiming for when you shoot, I'm just here to say use any camera you can which is better than that one.
>>
>>2805668

Cool. Why are they asking a guy without a camera to be the photographer? Did you misrepresent yourself? Or are their expectations very low?
>>
>>2805671
Thats the shittiest part. None of my close friends own or know who owns one. Seriuosly, where are all the pseudo-photographers when you need them?
>>2805673
Mostly low expectations, I guess. They are as desperate as I am.
>>
>>2805674
Also, the event is pretty much international level. Can't even decide if that's funny or sad.
>>
Srsly any tips apart gear snobbery shitposting?
>>
honestly, just be upfront about it. Tell them that sure, you can be the photographer, but they're most likely going to get shitty results if you don't have the proper gear/ if they cheap out on the photographer
>>
>>2805692
more info about the event

Get up close! That's it, dont be a pussy and get up in there.

For events, in your case, interesting photos will be pictures the average event goer didnt get to see, so get in close and personal
>>
Someone with proper equipment but not knowing how to use it would produce mediocre results. Someone without knowing how to use that equipment under those specific circumstances would too. Someone who knows nothing about photography and is using an entry-level point and shoot to shoot an event...

>how do I pretend to know what I'm doing without looking awkward?

Is there any specific reason you want to be in trouble or is it more of a personal hobby?
>>
Practice with your camera beforehand, learn its quirks so you can do your best not to be hindered by them when you take your shots. How to make sure the AF locked correctly, how to keep it steady best, how to be prepared for when a shot comes .etc. The low quality of the camera leaves little room for error so you must be as steady as possible when you come to take your shot, and choose the highest possible quality setting (Fine Jpeg and all 6.3 mp) and never use the digital zoom (when the camera keeps zooming in but the lens isn't actually zooming and you'll see the quality get worse and worse.)
>>
>>2805702
movie festival
>>2805705
I made them well aware I'm no photographer. Their response was to take as many shots as I can and maybe a few will be acceptable.
>>
>>2805662
Rent a really good camera and good glass.

Something like an A7R II, A7S II, 5DS R, D4S, with a single high-end stabilized 2-3x zoom lens (24-70mm ish?) so you don't have to deal with primes while unfamiliar with the camera.

Shoot RAW, on auto.

If you only have a worse camera, at least stick a bigger TTL flash on it when you are indoors and try to make do somehow.
>>
>>2805988
This. Hell, buy a cheap, older used DSLR (you can get one with an 18-55 kit lens (basic standard) for like £100 now), see if you can get a flash, then leave EVERYTHING in auto. Point and shoot and you should have some fairly OK pictures.
>>
How did this even come about in the first place? Unless you're using a few hundred £/$/€ worth of gear and know how to use it, I'd wouldn't count on having even one or two photos turn out good. You need a lens which can create good DoF at the bare minimum. Either rent a DSLR+zoom lens or tell them they need to find someone else.
>>
>>2805972
just spray and pray.
bring lots of memory cards and batteries.

>>2805662
your shit camera is definitely not up to the job.
you'll get laughed at.

do this at least.
>>2805988
>>
>>2805662
Rent decent DSLR with nice lens (something like 50 mm f1.8). Set camera automode. Learn the basic rule of thirds for composition.

The tone can be fixed in photoshop, and if you rent a Nikon or Pentax, those shadow or highlight details can be salvaged so it's fine if you don't have time to learn the rules of ISO-Aperture-Shutter Speed and set the camera to auto. If the place is a little lowlight, it might do you good to rent flash as well. Get up close with the subjects. Don't be afraid. Tell them they're going to have to shoulder the cost of renting the camera and other gears.Who knows, it might actually launch you into a new hobby.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.