[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one become war photographer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: war-photographer-film-hero[1].jpg (126 KB, 956x562) Image search: [Google]
war-photographer-film-hero[1].jpg
126 KB, 956x562
How does one become war photographer?
>>
>>2799387
so you watched Whiskey Tango Foxtrot too huh
>>
>>2799388
no. truth be told, Spy Game turned me on to the idea.
>>
>>2799390
>Spy Game
>Brad Pitt and Robert Redford
>sick 80's spy stuff
HNNNNNNG I love that movie
>>
>>2799387
>travel to warzone
>take pictures
>????
>profit
>>
>>2799394
It's as easy as that.
>>
Watch The Bang Bang Club next OP
>>
>go as a freelance
>die horribly because lack of expertice
>????
>no profit at all
>>
All branches of the military (except maybe marines, I think they used navy tag-alongs) have photographer positions.

> dat gubment health care
> dat gubment bought equipment
> dat gubment holiday schedule

It's not terrible...
>>
>>2799447
Where is your artistic integrity?
>>
>>2799448
There is none. Just take the fucking picture, man.
>>
>>2799448
Artistic integrity? We're talking about war documentary. Not really that much art needed with such powerful photos.
>>
>get camera, get used to it.
>Move to Europe, hang around "multi cultural neighborhoods", train stations and airports.Or just go the outer borders of EU.
>be in the frontline when the next "incident" happens
>?????
> If you survive,sell your pics to RT, AP< Reuters or make a photobook.
>>
>>2799387

I know everyone here likes to hate on reddit but this AMA is actually very interesting. he goes into a lot of detail on the different positions within the combat forces, how he got to his position, and general info on war photography.

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/1rpv7g/iama_military_photojournalist_combat_camera_ama/
>>
>>2799455
Where is your journalistic integrity?
>>
having very very large balls is probably required
>>
>>2799447
>>2799448

>Steve McCurry

>implying
>>
>>2799447
boom. your answer.

really wish I gave military some genuine thought. as a kid it was engrained in my head that it was only for degenerates looking to die. bush left a nasty impression on my parents.
>>
>>2799447

only if you want to be a literal paid shill for the military you're embedded with
>>
>>2799605
>as a kid

so last week? seems like so long ago.
>>
>>2799488

The question was about becoming a war photographer, not a war journalist.

Photography =/= Journalism
>>
File: attachment.jpg (65 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
attachment.jpg
65 KB, 300x300
>How does one become war photographer?

get prosumer camera and lens
get lots of memory cards
get a satellite phone / internet access
get travel visas to a warzone
get travel arrangements to said warzone
get war photos
don't get robbed, shot, kidnapped, beheaded
>>
>>2799395
the hard part is not soiling yourself when the bullets start to fly.

catching a bullet is not the worst thing that can happen to you, catching a bullet with your pants full of shit is.

>>2799399
freelance is about the only you can start, no one will fund you till you can prove that you can deliver the goods

>>2799605
my parents felt the same way, never did any military shit, is sounds like it might have been fun.
>>
>>2799727
>my parents felt the same way, never did any military shit, is sounds like it might have been fun.
It's a lot of bullshit. Like whatever kinds of bullshit you've put up with in your life times at least 10 and there's nothing you can do about it.

Some parts are awesome, but they're rare.
>>
My big question is how they don't get robbed. Necessarily, a war zone is entirely lawless and filled with desperate people who have lost everything and need the money to get out in order to survive.
>>
>>2799854
Situations like that operate on a different kind of economy than you're used to thinking about/dealing with. Something like a camera is worthless. Who is going to spend money on something that you can't defend yourself with or eat? Who wants to carry something like that?

It's like how cameras aren't popular with thieves in the first world because pawn shops won't take them and it's too easy to find stolen stuff being offloaded on ebay/cl.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.