[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Walking with John Free in the Streets https://www.youtube.c
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: johnfree-about_r2_c1.jpg (37 KB, 341x469) Image search: [Google]
johnfree-about_r2_c1.jpg
37 KB, 341x469
Walking with John Free in the Streets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejkd9c9c54E

I'm pretty sure people know about this but i wanted to share his video anyway. was a joy to watch.
>>
"I hung out with homeless people once." is his whole shtick. Hack.
>>
>>2800092

"I'm going to cry about it now" (old man crying)
>>
I like his videos and personality, but the only samples of his work are decades old film scans that haven't been updated.

Without seeing any of his modern photos, I'm not about to give him any money.
>>
>>2800092
>>2800100
wtf has to do with the video i posted
>>
>>2799067
What does he fix before taking photos? The MF?
>>
>>2800769
Bump
>>
https://youtu.be/G8-yjR0gPQE

I prefer this one. And even this one : https://youtu.be/OKIUOX426Dw

He's a bit dramatic and has minimal credentials but I like his attitude.
>>
>>2800769
it's called zone focusing
>wide angle and small aperture for deep depth of field
>pre-focus on a zone of focus
>just point and shoot
>>
>>2801499
I haven't understand a thing
>>
>>2801499
Please explain
>>
>>2801691
With zone focusing, you set the lens to manual focus (or use a manual focus lens) and then decide "I'm going to take a photo where the subject is 5 feet away" so you set your focus to five feet, and then go find your subject, and put your camera five feet from it, and shoot. You generally guess a bit, so to account for slight errors, it's best to stop down a bit to get a wide depth of field.
>>
>>2800490
He gets all emotional in a lot of his videos.

Not a fan of this guy.
>>
>dat rant at 20:00
I-i'm going to go outside
>>
>>2801694
Is it a CanĂ²n-only feature?
Is it replicable with a Pan?
>>
>>2801701
Not sure if trolling.

It's called fucking manual focus and understanding depth of field.
>>
>>2801703
Mmmmh...sorry..

Is custom depth of field a tilt shit lens-only thing? How does it influence focused things?
>>
>>2801705
ok, 100% trolling. Good work.
>>
>>2801509
>>2801691
On the off chance this isn't a troll.

The higher your aperture (the f number) the more things you will have in focus. So say you focus on something 2 metres away, if you take the picture at f1.8 you'll only get the subject in focus but if you shoot at f8 you will get the subject and also anything about a metre in front and behind the subject in focus too.

Higher the f number, the more things you have in focus.

So all you do then is take your lens (on whatever fucking camera you want). Set it to the focus distance you predict your subject will be at when you take the picture (say you're shooting street, you'll set the lens to 2-3 metres) and then set the aperture to f8+.

You can then reliably predict that providing the thing you took a picture of was about 2 metres away from you that it will be in focus.

You focus the lens and set the aperture for a zone of focus that you want to shoot in and then you position yourself based on that.

It's also called scale focus because instead of focusing through the viewfinder you focus based on the information on the focusing markers/scale on the barrel of the lens.
>>
Funny thing about discussing "zone focusing" in this thread is John Free makes fun of the term in one (probably more) of his videos.

Possibly hence the trolling above.
>>
>>2801795
Thanks, nice explanation, saved.

What are
>the information on the focusing markers/scale on the barrel of the lens
?
>>
File: M50f2.jpg (61 KB, 353x387) Image search: [Google]
M50f2.jpg
61 KB, 353x387
>>280180
The scale is the part I circled.
If you set your aperture to f22 then the distance between the two f22 marks would be the parts in focus.
It's not present on most modern lenses.
>>
>>2801696
fair enough. i find it endearing.
>>
>>2801818
You didn't circle a thing
>>
>>2801806
See the numbers between 4-22 on this lens? They show where will be in focus at a given aperture.

So you turn the focus ring on the lens and any measurement that is inside the aperture marker you're shooting at will be in focus.

In this case if you shot at f11 than anything from 2.5m away to 5.5m away would be in focus.

Cheap lenses and some modern AF lenses exclude these scales completely

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1D Mark III
PhotographerVernon Franke
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2010:07:23 15:04:20
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/22.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/22.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.44 m
Metering ModePattern
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length150.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2801830
The middle row of numbers is circled red.
>>2801835 but this is a better explanation anyway.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.