[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/vid/ - Video General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: video general 45.png (78 KB, 376x286) Image search: [Google]
video general 45.png
78 KB, 376x286
Sticky: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gh-fomKSuIEZ-GJo2tere4YMjsDvmmsuyiJKzQ-1ZRk
>>
>>2797550
A useful video in a neat series:
https://youtu.be/VMLej6hFN30?list=PLwg4AG1KkgLwP5FuUIiVEy-ILMD23AN1v
>>
tfw
>>
Video noob here, what is this technique where the background seems to zoom out but the distance to the subject appears to stay the same? Example at 0:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3d6S5IR7t8
>>
>>2798443
I didnt check the video, but pretty sure you're thinking of the zolly, a combination of dollying and using a zoom lens. Check Boregore's music vid "wayak" for an overexeggarated version of it, quite a fun clip
>>
>>2798482
Ah cool, exactly what I was looking for thanks.
>>
>>2798493
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je0NhvAQ6fM
>>
File: vm7500la.jpg (47 KB, 500x425) Image search: [Google]
vm7500la.jpg
47 KB, 500x425
Hello /p/hotographers, I come with probably an unusual question so please forgive me as I have never posed on this board before. I want to purchase a full size VHS Camcorder and I'm not sure if this is the right thread to talk about it in. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows what the best place is to get one. I have tried eBay before but have had a bad experience in the past when it comes to VHS Camcorders from eBay. Any advice for when it comes to purchasing one? I just want to get one that fully works for not $500.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 7.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2004:06:07 15:18:44
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width500
Image Height425
>>
>>2798680
why would you want vhs?
it's horrible.
>>
>>2798680
Just go to a flea market or Craigslist.

Hell, I have 2 I don't want.
>>
>>2798706
I only want one for nostalgia purposes. And I think it would be fun to use in general.

>>2798781
Sadly there are no flea markets near me anymore, and they are never on craigslist in working condition.
>>
There used to be a link for a really great filmmaking textbook in this doc, now it doesnt seem to be here. Anyone have the link?

sorry i dont know the name, something basic like filmmaking 101
>>
>>2798955
I got a really basic one when I started called the digital filmmaker's handbook

But there are like 20 different books with that name so I ended up with not the recommended to me
Still, it cost me like a fiver and is insanely helpful so I'd assume any book with that title would do you
>>
Does anyone have any filmed, 10bit or 8bit 4:4:4 footage that I could test my OLED with?
>>
File: cameras.png (239 KB, 750x401) Image search: [Google]
cameras.png
239 KB, 750x401
I'm shooting a short film in NYC, so I was going to rent a camera from a Manhattan rental house. Right now, I'm split between the Canon C100 and the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema.

Obviously the Blackmagic is cheaper by about 100 bucks for the weekend, but I'm drawn to the sensor and internal XLR inputs of the C100, among it's other features, especially its supposed clear picture in low-light scenarios.

I'm willing to spend the extra cash fort this project, I just want to make sure the differences are substantial enough to justify the price jump. Thanks for any insights.

Also, the short is narrative, will be shot on tripods, mostly indoors, with adequate lighting.
>>
>>2798955
http://pbblogassets.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2016/02/101-Filmmaking-Tips-and-Tricks.pdf
>>
>>2799228
NYC videographer here,

If its mostly on tripods and with set lighting you should be good to go on the BMPCC, just expect a much longer editing workflow. that said, the c100 is the single best run and gun camera to use in nyc, the a7sii included-- its small and easy to get into places.

If you do use a c100 though, get an atomos ninja or something for the indoor work

I'd also consider dropping a little more and renting the BMCC, just because the sensor on it is so good. Dont go any higher with Bmagic though, the 4K production and Ursa cams are crap.

I'd also check out camera lends-- i use them for smaller gear that i dont need a rental house for, and sometimes rent out my own stuff on there (i dont own a c100 or bmpcc so im not self-promoing), and they've got good support and pretty cheap rates/you're giving money to other broke filmmakers.

So, short version:

If you're really not going outside, *actually* have good lighting, and dont mind a slow workflow, BMPCC is golden. if you Shoot Raw try to get an external recorder doing prores if you can, and get a TON of SD cards.

If you're taking it off the tripod and out of a studio/set lighting condition at any time, or if you want to save time in your post workflow, get a c100 with an atomos recorder, or an a7s2.
>>
>>2799305
IMPORTANT ADDENDUM:

If you've never used a blackmagic camera before, I wouldn't recommend using it on a live set for your first try. a decent learning curve--- c100 will be way simpler out of the box. If you rent the BMPCC/BMCC, rent it for an extra day and play with it beforehand, and then play with a file in resolve that night so you know what to expect out of the image, and how much room you have to work with it
>>
I'm finishing a short 3 minute video. I want to make the colors look a little better, is there a chart of color curve presets to copy to get a better look?
>>
Bought a 33 inch slider. I'm kind of regretting it though. I think I should have gotten a longer one, maybe closer to 60 inches.

Does anyone know if you can buy just the rails for cheaper than a while new system?
>>
>>2798877
just use craigslist. havent checked myself but willing to bet you can find one for around $100 through cl.

or just drive around and look for yard sales.
>>
>>2799497
made the same mistake my first time. bought one for like $250 and wasnt even that well built.

just build it yourself. plenty of youtube tutorials on the subject. if its small its very straightforward process. large dollies however take a lot of time.
>>
>>2799305
>>2799309
Sorry I'm late, have no idea if you'll see this, but thanks man. I really appreciate the insight.

I'm going to do more research before I make a decision, not looking to rush into anything that's going to set me back a few hundred. Camera Lends was a really good tip too, I'm going to check out what they have available.
>>
File: tumblr_n2ip3irEFQ1tvjlmgo1_500.jpg (65 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2ip3irEFQ1tvjlmgo1_500.jpg
65 KB, 500x375
An anon above mentioned VHS recorders, so I'll go ahead and toss in another question related to the format.

I'm interested recording short videos on VHS, making copies, and running experiments by intentionally damaging the copies to create strange effects.

What's some methods I could use that wouldn't completely destroy the video? Liquids, magnet techniques, etc. Anything that creates interesting damage is worth trying.

Camera SoftwareVSCOcam Android Version
Camera SoftwareVSCOcam Android Version
Image Created2014:03:15 20:56:05
Image Created2014:03:15 20:56:05
CommentProcessed with VSCOcam with m3 preset
>>
>>2799305
hey NYC videographer,

aspiring one here. ive been shooting with a t2i the past 5 years and moved to long island a year ago. shit sux and trying to gather the funds to make the move closer to the city. i need to make an upgrade soon to be taken seriously.

is the 5d iii still a worthwhile investment for like $1800 new off ebay? i read shooting in RAW with ml is the way to go for best image quality. and i also want a good cam for full frame photog. c100 would probably be more efficient but its way out of my price range and not a stills cam.

also general advice for finding video work in NYC other than weddings?
>>
>>2799723
hey there,

well-- the 5diii raw is *great* but the workflow is a nightmare-- itl slow you down a lot. Just like with the BMPCC, if you're new, itl be good for narrative, but using it for any kind of event stuff just isnt feasible.

Honestly-- your t2i is more than enough for web use, especially with magic lantern on it. If you're just shooting for the web for now, it'l be fine. Until you're making some money from your work, upgrading doesnt make sense. If someone gives you crap about the camera-- tell them it's the same sensor as the 7D, and that will shut most people up (not that the 7D is even remotely timely, but most clients just know the names of a few cameras and think thats good-- I spend more time than i wish explaining how my samsung nx1 is actually leagues better than a 5Dii)

A better way to upgrade might be getting some new glass- maybe the 17-50 2.8 OS from sigma, and some vintage nikkor or M42 fast primes will make a bigger difference. Get some fast 64GB SDXC cards so you can shoot at higher bitrates and get a little more out of your picture.

but honestly, before upgrading your camera? Upgrade your audio, stabilization, and lights first. It will make a way bigger difference-- ESPECIALLY audio. You can work with natural light, you can steady your hands and use stabilized lenses-- you can't fake good audio, and it makes a bigger difference than even a sharp image.

Get a Zoom H4N and an XLR shotgun like an NTG2 used somewhere, and get something like a Takstar-698 (about $50-- has a -10 pad and +20 Gain option, pretty solid AQ, tiny size) off amazon. Pick up one of those Yunteg 3-foot video tripods for another $50 off amazon (I use them as clunker monopods when i travel, they're surprisingly solid).

Then, pick up some LED panel lights and cheap light stands-- the Neweer and Yongnuo ones are pretty solid. Power them with rechargable sony camcorder batteries, theyre as close as you get to a unversal power source for lights.
>>
>>2799931
>ESPECIALLY audio.
This. A million times this. The cheapest (well, relatively speaking) way to make your vids feel more professional is to have good sound quality. A decent recorder and mic plus a little learning on mic placement will do you massive wonders. After that, it becomes a dark art that requires a shitton of time to learn to do well, but the first steps that get you noticeable results are relatively painless.
>>
Shit anons, help me the fuck out. Not tech-related, but since /tv/'s screenwriting and filmmaking general has been dead for almost over a year I might as well resort to asking this here.

Going to direct a short for the first time in my life tomorrow. I've already done a little experimenting before, some rubbish mobile clips and mostly improvised dramas, but this is the first time I actually planned weeks ahead, got deep into a pre-production stage of finding actors and doing my own location scouting and am hoping to make something worthy of being posted on Vimeo. I'm really freaking the fuck out, this is seriously aimed at turning into a disaster.

>the two actors have never done any sort of acting before
>only read a few books on cinematography, never actually had the chance to practice serious camera placement and character movement on my own
>camera guy is a bit of an arrogant cunt, already foreseeing some problems when dealing with him
>shooting on the streets, no control over light
>also no control over sound, but hopefully that won't be a problem given it's a non-dialogue film set to music with just about no SFX involved
>worst of all is, I'm a diagnosed aspie with just about no social skills, and I'm not sure if I can pull this off. Jesus fucking christ, there are so many things that might go wrong, whatthefuckamIgonnado, I just don't know how to lead a group of people

So, how fucked am I? And assuming most anons here are far more experienced, how were your first serious experiences in filmmaking?
>>
>>2800090
I'm acting in a short film this weekend and I have no prior acting experience. I'm extremely nervous about it as it's turned into a 10-12 person set and I thought it was just going to be 4 or 5 people most of which I know.

We're going to make it though.

Use everyone's talents on the set to the best of their abilities, talk to each other and communicate positive reinforcement, constructive criticism, direction and the like. You're job as a director is to keep everyone moving towards the same goal.

Relax and enjoy the experience, you have to start somewhere, what you learn tomorrow you will be able to use on future projects to make them better.
>>
>>2800090
>the two actors have never done any sort of acting before

Not a problem, they haven't picked up any bad habits. Just direct them well, and be sure they stay relaxed and natural

>only read a few books on cinematography, never actually had the chance to practice serious camera placement and character movement on my own

You have the theory, now you get to put it into practice. No real problem, have a blast.

>camera guy is a bit of an arrogant cunt

Be the director. If you do your job right, it'll boost his self image as a professional to take direction well. You'll be fine.

>shooting on the streets, no control over light

Just find the places with the light you want to fulfil your vision. A reflector or two would be handy, but in any case you're doing great.

>also no control over sound, but hopefully that won't be a problem given it's a non-dialogue film set to music with just about no SFX involved

So all the sound is in post anyway. This is no kind of an issue.

>worst of all is, I'm a diagnosed aspie with just about no social skills

You're fucked.
>>
>>2799719
radiation is fun minus the tumors. honestly learn to glitch code, free and kinda easy. Or build a analog glitch box.
>>
>>2800090
Calm down and prepare to drink a lot of coffee/tea.

1) It's probably going to suck. But what matters is you'll learn, and next time you'll be better. Stop worrying over whether it's going to be good and focus on what you're doing.
2) It'll help you learn communication skills (huge + dude)
3) Do you know your actors well (if at all) ?? If you do, use that knowledge of them. If you don't know them, before you rehearse or block, talk to them for as long as you can, about the script, the characters, use any reference you can for them (cinematic reference helps, just don't say 'act like __') - help yourself get to know them, who knows? they may be talented under your direction.
4) Make sure that cameraman knows that you're the boss - try to do it in a way that isn't overbearing. Leading your crew is more about being able to tell them exactly what you want, without needing to explain why you want it. Visual aids help - blocking diagrams, storyboard, shotlist etc
5) Little:no control over sound can work so long as you make sure to get some decent roomtone, and know what sounds are important.
6) This is your chance to practise shot composition and blocking, you'll get better as you keep shooting.
7) I've been hoping not to bring this up (I'm probably get shit for this for a while...), but I'm aspie too - don't let that control your life (heavy prep will help your anxiety immensely, as you'll know what you're going to do and when you'll do it).

>>2798443
Zolly, Dolly Zoom, Contra-Zoom, 'Vertigo Shot', has a lot of different names for the same shot.

https://youtu.be/Amj6RiGiTOE

>>2799497
It's sorta tricky, the problem is that the rails will need to be stabilized properly so they don't sag under the weight of the camera (extra stand in the middle).
>>
is there a quick way to preview 4k footage?

basically im on mac and i have tons of footage that i wanna quickly look through to select the best etc
obviously in video players it's choppy af cos they cant handle the resolution and the format is wrong etc

other than downscaling it and / or viewing it in an NLE, is there any really quick way to preview it?
>>
>>2800210
On the slider. I think it's actually working better than I first experienced. I was able to tale the fluid head off my tripod and do some decent push ins but 33 inches still seems limiting.

I think I might just have to rent track and a dolly to get what I need (which looks to be tracking shots around 10-15 feet in length) which means that I also need to hire a few people for a day. Going to cut my budget close before I even get to start main photography.
>>
>>2800210
horrible advice

i'm guessing you don't actually work and are only parroting things you read online?
>>
>>2800368
Is it a meme now to tell DD that he sucks?

His info has always been really helpful.
>>
>>2800378
No, it's a meme to find someone trying to help, and do a drive by "Nope wrong faggot" without contributing anything because it makes a couple of people feel good about themselves to feel like they might know more than someone, without having to prove it or do anything constructive.
>>
>>2799723
>>2799931
also vis a vis general advice-- sorry for the delay between these two parts of the response--

Shooting concerts is great, and everybody is always looking for that. An underrated one is church events-- lot of business there.
>>
How many hours a day do you guys shoot/edit? You really have no excuse practicing to develop a cinematic style in this day and age.
>>
>>2800534
My job allows me to edit a ton, on the job and during off time. I need to shoot more, but my camera was stolen last year. I've made do with my phone, even though I hate shooting pictures and video with it.
>>
What's some good cheap vintage glass to get for my a6000?
>>
>>2801002
get a nifty fifty if you don't have one already. Canon 50 f/1.4 new FD was cheaper than the older SSC when I bought mine.
>>
>>2800090
Hey, anon. I feel like I'm reading a post from a younger me. By the time you read this, you'll have already done the shoot, but this'll hopefully help you out in the future.

I also had some serious freak outs when I first started. My first short film was for the 48 Hour Film Fest, which is basically the worst idea anyone has ever had, ever. Look it up if you don't know what that is and why it had me pining for death. It was an awful experience and scared me away from filming for a long time. It was years before I got back in the game and did my first "real" short, and I was still shaken up. I had been working on it for months and was crying the night before the first shoot because I also had no social skills and was convinced I was going to go full autist and fuck the pooch. It's a hard place for other people to put their heads, so I'll give you some advice customized to your basement dweller concerns.

-Your fear is a good thing. If nothing else, it demonstrates that you are self-aware, that you've got standards, and you are willing to persevere despite that. Use that fear to sharpen yourself.
-You WILL hate your first short film. You're either going to hate it now or hate it later. If you hate it now, congrats. That means you've at least got taste and haven't gimped your growth with complacence.
-At the very least, even the biggest piece of shit will be nostalgic years from now.
-It's better to be an autistic asshole who gets what he wants than an autistic pussy who lets his crew push him around. If anything, that'll help you build a character and a reputation to work with (the demanding perfectionist, etc.). At this early stage, being feared is functionally the same as being respected. That sucks, but it's true. Might as well take advantage of it.
-IT WILL GET EASIER OVER TIME.
>>
Just traded in my BMCC for a GH4.

I know, I know, I've given up 12 bit, 10 bit prores, and 13 stops for a MFT cam, but honestly, the long workflow of the BMCC and the endless rigging that was necessary to get it going made it a hassle for me to actually go out and shoot something for myself. I had the EF version, which made for a tight FOV, so coupling a GH4 with a speed booster allows me to get closer to APS-C anyway, plus it has 10-bit 422 output if I ever want to get an external recorder.

I honestly regret getting that Blackmagic. It produced some great images, but made me loathe going out to shoot my own stuff for fun. Run and gun work in NYC is also a pain in the ass with it, so I had to reject most of that work.
>>
>>2801002
CONTAX YASHICA
CONTAX ZEISS
NIKKOR!!
>>
>>2800278
anyone? pls?
>>
>>2803936
Get a much more powerful computer
>>
B&H just discontinued the NX1 whachu think?
>>
>>2803937
gee, thanks
>>
File: 1450850965921.jpg (171 KB, 1400x930) Image search: [Google]
1450850965921.jpg
171 KB, 1400x930
Do you know any good books on cinematography ? or good websites ?
>>
>>2803936

use a shogun
>>
which codec do i use?
this is for video that i will put through iffmpeg to downscale and then edit in an NLE
>>
>>2804008
The best thing you can do to be a good cinematographer is to just take photos and learn how to be a better photographer.

There's more to it of course. Photography isn't 100% analogous to Cinematography but it will give you a good grasp on how to use lighting, composition and create visual interest.

Most books are only going to give you a technical description of what the terms mean which isn't what you need.
>>
>>2804100

100% wrong, but thanks for trying.

Cinematography is a purely technical exercise.
>>
>>2804101
It is if you go to a trade school and literally only seek to light a movie and have it look compotent.

If you want to make images that people actually want to see though, there is no better teacher than first hand experience with photography.
>>
>>2800278
>>2803936

Does your editor support creating a proxy? Worst case, use a batch converter to create low resolution, low bitrate copies of all your clips and use them for the preview.
>>
File: SD EP.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
SD EP.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
I've just ordered a Sony AX53, it's my first 4K camcorder (though I have done 4K work with the GoPro). Should Sandisk Extreme Plus cards be sufficient for the 100Mbps? It would be useful to record to microSDs with an adapter because that would allow media sharing between the GoPro and Sony (if I have to shoot on one camera more than the other on a particular day, for example).

Also, is a circular or linear polariser better for shooting in snow?
>>
>>2804144
>Does your editor support creating a proxy?
I have both FCPX and PP available to use so yes
>Worst case, use a batch converter to create low resolution, low bitrate copies of all your clips and use them for the preview.
That's what I've been doing so far, but it just takes a lot of time
>>
>>2804172
>but it just takes a lot of time
Use a compressor that can let you lower the preset speed (I'm assuming you're compressing to x264) and use constant quality instead of a specific bitrate (23 should be fine for a preview). Also, if you're super pushed for time, use bilinear instead of bicubic for downscaling, it will look lousy but it should increase the conversion FPS.

If things are still slow, you'll probably have to follow >>2803937
advice. What Mac do you have? I use a desktop with a 4770k (I refuse to upgrade until I increase my processing power by at least 50%) and that chugs with 4k.
>>
>>2804181
i use a standard 2011 15" macbook, it is indeed very slow
you seem to know your stuff, do you know this >>2804065
>>
>>2804190
You're pretty much shit outta luck editing 4k on a laptop, especially one that old. Regarding your question, if you want the best quality, use passthrough. Anything else will be recoding, adding compression artefacts. Ideally, you should always use passthrough/lossless for everything but the final product but, if that's not possible because of hard drive space, use H265 or H264 with the a compression ratio of 18 at most, ideally 12-15. You might encounter problems with H265 on iffmpeg.

I'd seriously recommend building a desktop, get the most powerful CPU you can afford and a middling GPU. If you absolutely have to use OSX, then shell out for an iMac or Mac Pro. Even a used Pro should outdo your macbook but it will still cost a bundle.
>>
>>2804196
thanks

yeah i'll be building a desktop when this laptop dies on me. i do like OSX so b´maybe i'll try to make a hackintosh
>>
>>2804210
>i do like OSX so b´maybe i'll try to make a hackintosh
Be sure to follow the guides to the letter on what hardware you should buy, it will save a lot of heartache. I put one together, used it for a few days then went back to Windows because I preferred it.
>>
>>2804212
i think theres a good detailed and most importantly for me, retard-proof, guide on nofilmschool
>>
>>2804107
>It is if you go to a trade school and literally only seek to light a movie and have it look compotent.

*competent

And that's literally what a cinematographer does. Maybe you're thinking of directing?
>>
>>2804214
>>2804212
>>2804210
At that point, seriously, just use Windows. Hackintosh is basically the worst of both worlds with the advantages of neither.
>>
>>2804219
what's so bad about it?
>>
>>2804223
You'll eventually encounter some vital function that will have you tearing your hair out to fix.
>>
>>2804227
This plus still limited hardware choice
>>
>>2804227
>>2804229
ok fair enough
>>
>>2804216
The great cinematogphers are more than lighting specialists.

>competent
Thanks for your pedantry.
>>
>>2804273

Right, they also have an encyclopedic knowledge of film stocks and digital recording media, filters, lenses, cameras, camera movements, photographic technique, etc.
>>
Does anyone know how much noise shooting with IMAX camera makes? Or maybe some Youtube video to demonstrate?
>>
>>2804101
>Cinematography is a purely technical exercise.
ahaha
>>
>>2804277
You fail to understand the importance of artistic expression in an art.

I hope you are trolling.
>>
>>2804285

okay
>>
>>2804101
What the fuck are you on about? If it was purely technical they'd program a computer to do it.
>>
Newfag here. Does anyone know how to record motion blurred videos? Like a really psychedelic type of motion blur, as if each movement was echoing?

Is there a name for this?
>>
>>2804388
Post an example
>>
>>2804388
Slow shutter speed.
>>
File: max81014.main.lrg.jpg (119 KB, 800x538) Image search: [Google]
max81014.main.lrg.jpg
119 KB, 800x538
what is the cheapest way I can into Super 8?
>>
>>2797550
>>2804008
It's been asked many times, check the archived threads.

https://fgts.jp/p/search/subject/video%20general/

(would like this to get added to the sticky again if possible).

>>2804100
as this started the debate, replying here...

Photography & Cinematography are very similar in the camera/lighting aspect, but that is a small part. It's a good practice to help you technically & aesthetically, but it may not do much for your skills as a collaborator. Cinematography is artistic, collaborative, and technical. The technical serves the artistic, and the other two both serve the collaborative.

What works for a still image, doesn't necessarily work for a moving image, and what works or a moving image may not work for a still image (many different advantages/disadvantages you have to deal with).

>>2804388
Low Shutter Speed or Layered Shots over each other just out of sync w/opacity adjustment (for more of a ghosting effect), or added motion blur in post.

>>2804406
Find a used Super8mm Camera that works (ebay, flea market/pawn shop/garage sale), buy film-->shoot-->send to a facility for processing+scanning-->edit your footage-->????--->profit?.

>>2803944
Samsung discontinued it first. B&H is following suit.

>>2801002
Plenty of great lenses out there, just gotta decide what glass you prefer.

>>2800278
Have you tried using a lighter video player (VLC perhaps) over Quicktime?

>>2800534
Depends on the day & complexity of what I'm doing. Technical (camera/lens/lighting/vfx) tests vs something I'm using for a project.

If I'm shooting something on my own time, probably 2-4 hours a day. About a 30:1 ratio of editing of that (15-30 minutes of editing for 1 minute of the cut, sound/grading and all). Recently playing with a modded 4.8mm f1.8 on my BMPCC, gotta crop it a bit but surprisingly not too bad.

>>2804280
https://youtu.be/nEAnZOa9DzQ Found this. The 'ticking' sound is the imax camera, it's pretty damn loud.
>>
Is the Sony A6000 worth it for the extra cost compared to the A5100?

I posted in the gear thread as well, but right now here's my dilemma:

a5100 with 16-50 for 370$ or a6000 with 16-50 for 435$?

(I'm from the Philippines, prices for these bodies haven't dropped as much as in the US)

I'll be using it for photography and videography both, and I'll be moving from Canon DSLR. I already have a collection of adaptable lenses for the system.
>>
>>2804513
if it's only a $65 difference, then yes, especially for photography. same video quality, but A6000 is much better for photography. More dials, EVF, better AF, hotshoe (if you need it).
>>
>>2804524
Thank you for the input!
>>
Hey everyone.

Amateur filmmaker from Australia here.

I'm going to LA for a few days in November and have some family there but when not hanging out with them I have heaps of free time and can do whatever I want... I've already done some touristy stuff there before and am not interested in tours or anything. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for what to spend my time on if all i really wish I could do is sneak onto a set. I could maybe tee up some volunteer PA work or visit somewhere I'll actually learn things that will make me a better filmmaker?

Any advice would be cool.
>>
>>2804424
>Have you tried using a lighter video player (VLC perhaps) over Quicktime?
I have tried a few, including vlc, surprisingly enough QT performs better than the rest (though still shit)
>>
>>2799719
The classic trick would be to record whatever's written to the tape to another tape. With every pass the video quality will deteriotate. You might get luma and chroma separations very fast or even chroma drops.
You can try cutting the tape and then glue it back together.
>>
>>2803944
i'm probably the only person on this board who uses an NX1 as their a-cam for paid work but god, it's such a great fucking camera. I'm bummed, but ultimately ok with it-- people are making big progress on NX1/NX500 hack, the DIS makes manual lenses a dream to use even handheld, and maybe --just maybe-- this means the 16-50 S zoom will drop below $800 so i can finally pick it up
>>
>>2804832
my only complaint with it-- the DCI 24p comes out interlaced when i work with it in post, and im not sure why. I use the UHD 23.98 as a result, and thats fine, but i do really like having the option of 1.85 framing straight out of camera, so I wanna figure out why this is happening (I work in PP CC on windows)
>>
>>2801002
nikkor is a little pricier than other vintage glass but A: it has the highest optical standards imo and B: it will work on any camera you ever buy-- if you switch mounts, some glass like FD and the like might not work if its got a bigger flange distance
>>
What do you think of cineform codec? It's a good codec for the master or just a piece of shit?
>>
Guys, I'm interested in using a steadicam. What's a good and preferably cheap steadicam for practice/learning? Doesn't need to be the brand "Steadicam" specifically.
>>
>>2804974
It's good.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 600x400
So I'm on a budget but have an iPhone 6, so I got an anamorphic adaptor (Moondog Labs 1.33x) and a handheld stabilizer (Z1 Smooth-C, pic related) for it, along with a tripod and tripod mount. I need help with sound though, I have no idea what the best setup would be since the only input this has is a 3.5mm jack. Any advice with that would be greatly appreciated.

Any other accessories I should know about? Any tips for shooting on a smartphone, specifically an iPhone? This thing has a great camera to get into filmmaking with.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Image Created2015:04:30 13:17:55
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width600
Image Height400
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2805021
>I'm on a budget but have an iPhone 6, so I got an anamorphic adaptor (Moondog Labs 1.33x) and a handheld stabilizer (Z1 Smooth-C, pic related) for it,
Wow, you could have gotten a real camera with that money.
>>
>>2805043
But then I'd have to buy a lens, anamorphic adaptor for said lens, a stabilizer, memory cards, etc, not to mention the $500-$600 price of the actual camera. That's much more than what I paid for my gear ($375)
>>
>>2805049
And it'd produce far better images than your gear.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 278x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 278x300
>>2805051
That's true.

Fuck, now I want to return this stuff

Image Width278
Image Height300
>>
>>2805049
You're not JJ, you don't need an anamorphic adapter. You could get an old M42 lens + adapter for $20 and be good to go.
>>
>>2805057
But check out this footage, it looks pretty damn good:

http://youtu.be/NpGWZlMxl6k
>>
>>2805060
It looks like it was taken with a phone.
>>
>>2798443
Zolly, dolly zoom, vertigo shot. You move the camera in one direction and use the zoom in another.

Ex: Dolly in + zoom out = background gets bigger

Dolly out + zoom in = background gets smaller
>>
>>2805055
>>2805051
>>2805049
>>2805043

while yes, the GH4 and similar cams will have higher quality images, if you're shooting for the web, it really doesnt matter- go download filmic pro, that will make a big difference. and honestly-- the stabilizer will be *great* for the iphone, and will give you smooth, fluid footage that can be harder to get at that price point when shooting guerilla style.

the rode videomic me is pretty good for iphone stuff but you might not be able to use it with the moondog lens.

this one seems pretty solid: http://www.amazon.com/Ampridge-MightyMic-Shotgun-Microphone-MMS/dp/B00HRM1KN0/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1459401070&sr=1-1&keywords=iphone+mic

but i'd also pick up a zoom h1 or something and record seperately with that as another option

remember, the best camera you have is the one you have with you, and for the web, your iphone -- especially stabilized and with filmic pro-- will be able to do some good stuff. just dont skimp on the audio, get a zoom h1 and a boom pole
>>
File: 00_00_17_17.Still001.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
00_00_17_17.Still001.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
I'm in love with my C100 Mk2 but I can't decide on which color profile to use. Has anyone had better or worse experiences with certain profiles?
>>
>>2805187
I find wide DR is really really great and versatile-- gets a lot of range, but all the grading i do is more "nudging" which means the footage holds up well
>>
>>2805187
You realize that the thing that makes this image good is the lighting and not the camera, right?
>>
File: ursa-mini-design.jpg (447 KB, 1920x1387) Image search: [Google]
ursa-mini-design.jpg
447 KB, 1920x1387
Hey video gen. I'm planning on starting as a freelancer in a little while, and with that of course comes a camera. I've been looking at the Ursa Mini 4k, has anyone shot with it?

It seems ideal since I can use EF lenses with it and since it comes packed with professional editing software aswell.

On paper it looks great but i'd like a bit of input from others.
>>
>>2804976
How heavy is your camera? On that alone you might be able to find a good Chinese made gimbal for less that $100 on ebay.
>>
>>2805267

What's that got to do with anything? Are you angry, friend?
>>
>>2805267
You realize that you're a faggot, right?
>>
File: 1422744786251.jpg (35 KB, 640x323) Image search: [Google]
1422744786251.jpg
35 KB, 640x323
>>2805576
>>2805698
Haha, sorry guys. I totally forgot I posted this and just realized how much of I dick I was.

I was just about to go out for 12 hours on some shoot with some people I don't like. I was taking it out on you guys.

My bad.
>>
>>2805367
I shoot with the full size Ursa regularly. It's excellent. Color coming out of the camera is shit, but grades excellently. You're gonna need some HUGE expensive cfast cards if you want to shoot 4k raw.
>>
>>2801064
Shit's night and day from the bmcc with GH4. The GH4 is a fucking workhorse. If you know what you're doing and use an external recorder with V-Log, you can get just as good images. Have fun!
>>
File: YSP_Canon7D_Review.jpg (151 KB, 650x448) Image search: [Google]
YSP_Canon7D_Review.jpg
151 KB, 650x448
Currently filming a project with a friend's 20D, will soon have enough money to buy myself a 7D. How much better is one over the other? Will there be a noticeable drop in quality between scenes shot with the 20D and scenes shot with the 7D?
>>
>>2805725
I think you are the first anon I've ever seen actually apologize for shitty behaviour in hindsight. Good on you. I wish you long and forgiving golden hours.
>>
File: 1286419799143.jpg (18 KB, 300x265) Image search: [Google]
1286419799143.jpg
18 KB, 300x265
Hi /p/

My niece would like to start making simple youtube videos so I'd like to get her a camera that can at least give good video quality

I looked through the sticky but I can't find which "Canon EOS M" is being referenced as a $150 camera. All the models I see are $500+...

Anyway, what would be a good camera for her? I think a point and shoot with hd video would be good enough. Any specific recommendations? Thanks
>>
>>2805761
what recorder do you recommend
>>
>>2805777
>buying completely outdated tech
are you sure you cant get a modern mirrorless for however much you'll be spending?
>>
>>2805811
Get her a tripod and phone mount or something.
>>
>>2805886
She's still young so she doesn't have an iPhone, but neither do mom and dad.

Plus I think she would enjoy having a camera to take random pictures. Would any 1080p video point and shoot suffice?
>>
>>2805777
I didn't even know a 20D could shoot video...
>>
I'm torn between getting a Blackmagic Pocket and a GH4. On one hand I really don't like the DSLR look that you see a lot in amateur short films, but the gh4 seems like a much easier tool to work with and in post.

The Blackmagic, while a pain in the ass to rig properly and process in post, produces a fantastic image. The footage looks almost exactly like a Red or even an Arri if you do it right.

I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times here, but what would you guys recommend? I'm leaning heavily towards the BMPCC and would like to know what some essential accessories are.
>>
>>2805811
the white variety canon SL1

great cheap camera to start with especially for a young girl. "looks cool", has a lot of noob friendly features for decent video (video AF thats half decent), small ergonomic form factor. plus its pretty good for photography to boot.

really hard to beat for a DSLR and good kit lens thats only $400 i think new.
>>
>>2806095
see>>2805761
>>
>>2806109
I'm not sure that's entirely true. I've gone through hundreds and hundreds of footage videos and short films from the two cameras over the last year, and the Blackmagic Cinema Cameras pretty much always look better than any DSLR under $2,000.
>>
>>2806110
Not that guy, but personally I prefer the gh4
I think if you know what you're doing, you can get some really unique looking footage
Better than the bmcc/bmpcc & infinitely more versatile
>>
So im going ro try and kickstart a project of mine.

What are some tips for shooting a 2-3 video, mainly in keeping interest.

Never really shot video with this much focus in hopes someone will see it.

My project is an end to end encryption service so its going to be fucking bland. The point of my service is accessibility and the fact it can run on virtually anything with a web browser. (Even works on consoles)

What are things to do/avoid when doing a mundane video.

Once I shoot it, can i post it for crituque or will yall bitch im trying to shill a product?

Only shooting for like 5 grand, I have the ability and already built a POC but with a 9-5 job cant focus on it, im not worried about shilling, im still going to work on the project if it fails.

Anyone here ever done a kickstarter?

What kind of goals can I have for a virtual service, right now the only goal is literally discounted service (the product will only be $10 a year, and will also be open source from the start)
>>
>>2805761
Been experimenting with it for a few days now, have a shoot tomorrow as well, so I'll get to see it in action soon enough. Definitely a little noisier than I was expecting, but the lens options that are open to me now are crazy, and my existing audio preamp plugs right in, so I'm already good to go.

The only thing that sucks is the cam's poor 1080p downscale. I can handle the 4k footage, but when shooting for other people, they sometimes have weaker setups, and they'd rather edit straight off 1080p footage, so shooting straight to HD isn't as attractive an option. Maybe in the future if I get an external recorder, I'll have it downscale the 4k output instead.
>>
>>2806095

I've used the bmcc and gh4. I also own a bmpcc, but it is not my primary camera. The pocket camera skips a lot of the headaches of the cinema camera, but it still takes skill ub grading and solid planning to make decent footage. If you only have one camera I would recommend the GH4 because it will give you good shot right out of the box with little effort. The bmpcc is awesome, but it is also tricky to use, and the GH4 had 4K and gives you room to grow.

Also something to consider is that the bmpcc shoots best at iso 800 so get some nd if you go that route, really just get some nd either way.
>>
I recently bought the Rode smartlav+ mic, but realised the Rode Rec app is Apple iOS only. Does anyone have recommendations for recording apps on Android?
>>
>>2806274
IR ND to add to what this post said
>>
>>2806208
Have someone speak in front of a camera. People need to trust you on some level so don't hide. They need to see someone real taking responsibility. And that's best done with an actual person. You can mix in footage from your service however you like.
>>
4k doesn't work in VLC?
>>
Are there any decent alternatives to the Ronin-M if I want a motorized gimbal?

Thanks
>>
File: 1429299202537.jpg (4 KB, 240x246) Image search: [Google]
1429299202537.jpg
4 KB, 240x246
EOS M or EOS 100D?
>>
File: Snap 2016-04-03 at 10.32.51.png (331 KB, 1200x810) Image search: [Google]
Snap 2016-04-03 at 10.32.51.png
331 KB, 1200x810
Question: how did they light her up? how narrow was the light? Any thoughts?

Thanks
>>
>>2806421
More like your computer is shit enough to not playback it correctly. Or your VLC is outdated.
>>
File: doyle1.jpg (10 KB, 300x197) Image search: [Google]
doyle1.jpg
10 KB, 300x197
>>2804101
>>
>>2805367
buy only 4.6k version. 4k version has bmcc 4k sensor with 12 stops of DR instead of 4.6's 15, and that's even less than in pocket cinema camera
>>
>>2806906
100D doesn't offer anything over an EOS M. Might as well get the M as it's smaller.

Or if budget permits, A5100 and a smart adapter.
>>
>>2807371
100d has an EF mount, so there's a much better choice of lens available and also has a mic jack

Only reason to get an m is size
>>
File: birdman.Still103.jpg (244 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
birdman.Still103.jpg
244 KB, 1280x720
Just got hired for a shoot. Director told me he wants it to look Lubezki like.

What does that mean?

The best I can ascertain is:

>natural/practical lighting
>long takes
>steadicam style fluid movement
>wide angle lenses, even for close ups

I feel like that's very surface level and I'd like to dig deeper. Anyone got any advice?

Image Created2014:11:07 18:34:32
>>
>>2807454
I think you've got it quite good as is
Based on the Revenant, ToL and Birdman, I don't think he frequently uses shallow depth of field much either
So slower apertures are probably better
And shots that pan around the actors while they're talking
>>
>>2807454
look up the set of rules that Malick and Lubezki came up with
if you follow them, you'll have the Lubezki look 100%
>>
>>2807454
>>2807470
here you go: http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/August2011/TheTreeofLife/page1.php

• Shoot in available natural light
• Do not underexpose the negative Keep true blacks
• Preserve the latitude in the image
• Seek maximum resolution and fine grain
• Seek depth with deep focus and stop: “Compose in depth”
• Shoot in backlight for continuity and depth
• Use negative fill to avoid “light sandwiches” (even sources on both sides)
• Shoot in crosslight only after dawn or before dusk; never front light
• Avoid lens flares
• Avoid white and primary colors in frame
• Shoot with short-focal-length, hard lenses
• No filters except Polarizer
• Shoot with steady handheld or Steadicam “in the eye of the hurricane”
• Z-axis moves instead of pans or tilts
• No zooming
• Do some static tripod shots “in midst of our haste”
• Accept the exception to the dogma (“Article E”)
>>
Most necessary accessories for the GH3? It looks like it has a nearly identical picture to that of the GH4.

I'll need a solid sound setup too.
>>
>>2807384
>not just getting the M and an adapter being on it all the time
>restricting yourself to plastic oversized glass because you're too lazy to use manual focus and don't want to use your hands
>>
What is better for filming clips, short films etc... 5d mark III (with ML of course) or the new sony a7s mark II?
>>
>>2807819
get a gh4
>>
Should I get the Kamerar LCD Viewfinder VF-4 or the QV-1? The former looks like it's higher quality and has a better/bigger visual zoom, but it's also a little bit more expensive, and I'm wondering if the QV-1 might be good enough.
>>
Are there enough improvements to justify paying 50 - 100 more dollars for an EOS M2 instead of the original EOS M?
>>
Hi /vid/, I'm stuck between getting the a6000 and the GX85.
The a6000 looks pretty good to me since the lack of 4K doesn't matter, and the 50mbps XAVC S 1080p looks good enough to make up for that.
The GX85 is pretty good too since there's a wider selection of lenses and the touchscreen looks pretty good. Touchscreen is not a priority though. The camera body's got its own stabilization unlike the a6000 which relies on the lens for stabilization. The smaller sensor on the GX85 isn't very flattering though.

Thoughts?
>>
>>2808449
nope
>>
>>2808449
eos M2 is actually worse for video-- you cant put magic lantern on it.
>>
File: AX53.jpg (184 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
AX53.jpg
184 KB, 1000x563
Managed to snag one today. In between ordering it and getting to the store, the only other one they had in stock was sold. BOSS is cool as hell, the whole lens assembly is on a gimbal (there are also internal lens elements which move). Thank you very much to the anon who recommended I pass on the AX33. Low light performance seems excellent for the sensor size.

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-N910F
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.2
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)31 mm
Image Width5312
Image Height2988
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:04:05 21:14:00
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Metering ModeAverage
Focal Length4.80 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height563
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeNight Scene
Unique Image IDH16USHH04SA
>>
>>2797550
I have a few questions for a documentary i'm making.
>Is there any place i can find "free source"(can't think of the word) music for my documentary?
>Is there any possible way to stabilize video, because the camera i'm using tends to give choppy video at the beginning and the end of clips and only tends to be stable during the middle, i found a way around this but i'm wondering if it's possible.
>Any lighting tips? The set is pretty much a generic photography set, full with lights, and umbrellas. are there any things i can do to create a better atmosphere for my interviews?
>What's the best editing software? By this i mean easiest to use and learn.
>Any tips for shooting a documentary?
Sorry for the long post, but i was just wondering if i could get help here and would love it if someone could answer my questions.
>>
>>2809074
what type of music are you looking for? I'll produce you some!

however the term is "royalty free"
>>
>>2809100
oh yeah, thanks anon.
I don't know how to describe it, something upbeat, something full of melancholy, honestly i would love just a variety of songs and listen to them. If it helps i can tell you what it's about.
>It's a documentary about high school, which chronicles, the last few months of a senior class, and their memories, mistakes, and lessons they learned.
pretty cheesy but it's personal and i would love music that can invoke emotions depending on whats happening at the moment. I hope that helps? maybe instrumental, i'm not sure i'm not really good at music.
>>
NX1 hacked for 320MB/sec rate in H265
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57559389

im probably the only one on here using an NX1 for everyday use but this is a HUGE deal if this hack delivers. downloading now, will load once i hear back a few reports that confirm it wont brick my camera
>>
>>2809074
>royalty free - just google royalty free music or music with a creative commons license. there are shit loads of websites

>a few ways:
>1. use a tripod
>2. use a shoulder-rig/steadycam
>3. use warp stabiliser in adobe premiere pro (more on that below)
>4. http://nofilmschool.com/2016/04/6-dirt-cheap-diy-ways-stabilize-your-camera

>front light, scene light, backlight
>google it again to get your positions correct
>there are a lot of lighting tutorials on youtube

>there's no 'best' editing software
>lightworks is free and very powerful
>davinci resolve 12 is also free, though it started as colour-grading software
>beyond that you have the obvious: Avid Media Composer, Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas and Final Cut Pro
>As far as I'm aware, all the ones I've mentioned are non-linear-editors which means you'll have to learn how to use them. This can take anything from a day to a week to become 'competent'(able to edit something coherently) in depending on you

>I've never shot a documentary but general tips include getting a shoulder mount and a zoom lens for any run-and-gun footage so that you're not messing around setting up a tripod and changing your lens
>Beyond that, it's the same as normal. So get a decent microphone so you can get decent sound, plan your shoots in advance, all the normal shit

>>2809100
If you have any spare time, I'd gladly take some of your music for a short I' making!
But no worries if you want to focus on something else
Do you have a youtube/soundcloud page?
>>
>>2809074
>>Is there any possible way to stabilize video, because the camera i'm using tends to give choppy video at the beginning and the end of clips and only tends to be stable during the middle, i found a way around this but i'm wondering if it's possible.

The best way is to cut the beginning and the end leaving only the middle exposed.
Most of the time I first set the clip duration (say to 4 seconds) and then use the slide feature so the clip starts later. Using stabilizer will take more time.

>>What's the best editing software? By this i mean easiest to use and learn.

Adobe Premiere Pro has the most resources on the internet so you should start with that.

>>Is there any place i can find "free source"(can't think of the word) music for my documentary?

http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/
http://www.dl-sounds.com/
http://audiojungle.net/
http://whoismatt.com/freemusic/
http://freesound.org/
http://freesfx.co.uk
http://commons.wikimedia.org

Always double-check any licensing information. It's important to familiarize yourself with Creative Commons
https://creativecommons.org

SoundCloud is a great source, but be sure to use the search correctly.
There was an anon here who has quite a few artists on his following page who allow their music to be used commercially, so take a look:
https://soundcloud.com/r1ckychav3z/following

Youtube can also be searched for free use music. Search with creative commons setting.
>>
>>2809651
>>2809492
>>2809100
Thanks for the help anons, can't wait to finish my project.
>>
>>2805060
it looks shit
>>
>>2805187
anything but this color profile, it looks terrible random cyan cast everywhere are you blind?
>>
http://www.kodak.com/ek/us/en/Consumer/Products/Super8/Super8-camera/Super8_Design/default.htm

pretty hype desu m'senpaitachi
>>
File: img_8481.jpg (727 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
img_8481.jpg
727 KB, 1600x1200
>>2809914
That allows me to follow up, is the Canon 814, their high end Super 8 camera back in the day that costs about ~150$ now on the aftermarket, the closest there is to film recording on a budget?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot SD450
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Lens Size5.80 - 17.40 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.00
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2013:10:04 22:41:33
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length14.42 mm
Image Width1600
Image Height1200
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeCenter-Weighted
ISO Speed Rating100
SharpnessNormal
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeSingle
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOn
Compression SettingSuperfine
Macro ModeNormal
Subject Distance0.540 m
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Image Number104-8481
>>
>>2810210
Of course not, that would be a proper 16mm.
>>
Anyone have experience shooting video on a 5D2 or 7D with a SD to CF card adapter?

I only have 2 CF cards and a bunch of extra SD cards lying around, so was wondering if it would be possible to record reliably on the SD cards after picking up an adapter
>>
>>2797550
Whats the best way to hire a great, non union cinematographer? Is there an online community any of you know of? I'm based in Northern California.
>>
>>2810727
find a student
>>
>>2810770
but students tend to be really shitty
>>
Anybody use the Magic slr 10mm + bmpcc? Looking for a wider lens than the 17mm I have, any reqs under 1000$.
>>
>>2810727
Depends on where you are.
>>
File: shitty editing program.jpg (96 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
shitty editing program.jpg
96 KB, 1200x720
Are there any decent freeware softwares for video editing that have, at the very least, multiple audio tracks and color grading options?

The only serious video editing software I currently have is Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 and, being a 2008 editor, it's extremely outdated and clumsy by modern standards, shit's constantly crashing and stuff. I also checked out VSDC Free Video Editor, but it looks rudimentar even in comparison to Corel.
>>
File: 394058345.jpg (106 KB, 596x578) Image search: [Google]
394058345.jpg
106 KB, 596x578
I want to start shooting video. A friend of mine that is into photography recommended a Pentax K-50 and a 50mm f1.8 lens for low light shooting, as a starter camera. This would cost me around $400.

Is this recommendation optimal? I know the camera is a few years old, so I'm not sure if there's something more recent I could be spending my money on.
>>
>>2810466
cf to sd adaptors are too slow to shoot video.
my 5dmkII fills its buffer in under 12 seconds using one.
>>
>>2811034
people really need to read the thread as this haas been mentioned before
I'm pretty sure the sticky brings it up too

DaVinci Resolve12 is still free and incredibly powerful
Lightworks also has a free version though, last I checked, it only outputs at 720p unless you upgrade
>>
>>2811067
>DaVinci Resolve12 is still free and incredibly powerful

In the grading department only. For editing it's really not far from VideoStudio.
>>
>>2811057
A K-50 for video? No, you don't want to do that.

>Pentax has never done a great job with moving images, and the K-50 is an unsurprisingly mediocre video camera. Movie clips were soft, we saw obvious image artifacts even in good light, and there was ample trailing at the maximum framerate of 30 fps. Artifacts and visible noise became much more prevalent in low light, though videos didn't get any softer.
http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/pentax-k-50-digital-camera-review

If you're on a hardcore budget, a T3i with some old M42 primes will do you nicely enough.
>>
>>2811061
Well, fuck. Thanks for the input man.
>>
>>2811067
>>2811103
Actually, compared to how rudimentar VideoStudio X2 is, DaVinci's video editing is already a significant step up in that department. Thanks, anon!
>>
>>2810991
San Francisco area
>>
File: xflex-led-westcott-tungsten-3.jpg (64 KB, 1175x524) Image search: [Google]
xflex-led-westcott-tungsten-3.jpg
64 KB, 1175x524
Is there a cheap version of this?

Don't really need to change color temperature.

If there's a cheap one with just white, dimmable LEDs I'd just spend the rest on gel.
>>
>>2811540
https://youtu.be/qlMtakaa7u8

(costs like $50-$100 to make [along with some soldering])

Might be a few chinese knockoffs somewhere too (can't speak for build quality though).

>>2810727
Mandy, Networking (build a network of collaborators).

Non-union is gonna be a lot of film students/film graduates.

>>2807926
It depends.

Like any 2 cameras, they have individual pros & cons that you have to deal with.

Both can do the job well depending highly on what you're using them for/with.

>>2807116
Less of how narrow is the light, but how much of the light is flagged off.

Pretty simple, put your light camera left, simple diffusion + solid flags.
>>
>>2811601
Yeah, I saw that but it's too much work/waiting for stuff to ship from China. Guess I'll just get the Westcott.
>>
File: mics.png (308 KB, 914x312) Image search: [Google]
mics.png
308 KB, 914x312
Kinda new to video shooting, got some amateur background, but clueless about audio and mics.

Heres the scenario, i gotta shoot some interviews and tutorials (like those youtuber's). I gotta a canon6d for the job but got no mics. any suggestions ? Something like semi-pro.

Thanks
>>
>>2811690
don't bother with an on-camera mic-- the preamps on the 6D create a lot of noise.

Get a zoom h1n to record audio seperately + a mic to plug into it

your two options are a shotgun mic (better if youll be moving around) or a lav mic (better for stable interviews).

lav: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR-3350-Omnidirectional-Microphone-Discontinued/dp/B002HJ9PTO/ref=sr_1_6?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1460220263&sr=1-6&keywords=lavalier

shotgun: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WJMWVWM?psc=1
>>
>>2811057

i dont say this lightly: you can get better video out of current-gen smartphones than out of pentax DSLRs. their video is phenomenally bad

>>2811111
makes a good rec getting a used t3i and some vintage primes-- the EOS M is another good cheap option.

if you can spend a little more, though, the panasonic g7 is really great for $600-- shoots 4k, has a good flat video profile, has surprisingly usable video AF, and it comes with a kit lens (good for starting) + a mic in a few bundle options http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1208931&gclid=CjwKEAjw0KK4BRDCiKHD5Ny8pHESJACLE620xt8Ntnkg-sKABrWsSglF5YrmYEvrTS967014YzWIjxoCCZrw_wcB&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C52184621642%2C&is=REG&A=details
>>
>>2811601
ugh, mandy is ruined these days-- the new site they partnered with is terrible
>>
File: 18.png (44 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
18.png
44 KB, 2000x2000
>>2797550
is there a board to talk about "scripts"

trying to kickstart my project i've worked on the last year or so, would this made a "good" video?

http://pastebin.com/bpNpmUMj

Legit trying to ask for critique on script not trying to shill my project, specially not here.
>>
>>2811839
"Hello and thanks for watching my video." --don't ever start with this. Ever. A good pitch video/ad is all about economy of language, both visual and verbal-- every second, every frame needs to be used with precision. why waste time on an impersonal, generic statement like this?

more importantly, it seems like this script is mostly you explaining the concept (an admittedly neat one imo), and there arent indications of where you show it. a video where you're just talking into a camera is a video wasted-- you want to figure out how

I've gotta run out the door at the moment so i cant give more details, but if you wanna send a script to this email-- [email protected] i can see if i can give some more precise feedback later
>>
I'm looking to start a youtube channel. Just maybe small motivational type stuff, design related. Maybe interview a few people. For now I only have my note 4 for filming in 4k. I have two worklights with socket splitters and daylight 60w cfls. Looking at building a led panel soon.

Two questions, how do I get that bokeh background that some people have when shooting video.

Also how to project my voice and make it sound more natural and confident on camera? like most people I hate the sound of my recorded voice.
>>
>>2808931
I bought the same, great camcorder so far. The optical stabilization is crazy good.
>>
>>2812358
>how do I get that bokeh background that some people have when shooting video.
get a real camera
>>
>>2812358
You need a selective focus and a low f stop
>>
>>2812358

>Also how to project my voice and make it sound more natural and confident on camera? like most people I hate the sound of my recorded voice.

use a lav mic. less nonsense = more relaxed delivery.
>>
>>2812322
Thanks anon ill do a rewrite and send it to you
>>
>>2811744
>lg shoots 1080 video with ois and IR AF with a f1.8 28mm lens
>also shoots raw

Its dumb how good phone cameras are these days
>>
>>2812404
just got yr emails, will send back some notes when i get a chance

>>2812405
i picked up the galaxy s7 (made sense since my A-cam is an NX1 so it has the same color science), and I'm utterly blown away. It's actually decent in a lot of low light situations, and with even decent lighting i can use it as an honest to god B-cam when I use it with filmic pro. Moreover, the stabilized 1440p/1080p on it works miracles-- I've used it with a single hand stuck up in a crowd, and get smooth, stable footage out of it.
>>
File: 0403161746_HDR.jpg (609 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
0403161746_HDR.jpg
609 KB, 1000x563
>>2812427
thanks

also if anyone else gave a shit, here's a new version with a boring paragraph omitted and some video cues to understand how the "commercial" would play out

http://pastebin.com/raw/N7tpAuj8#

i recently got the G5 and love the hell out of it, sadly the fisheye (it has 2 cameras) doesnt use OIS or the IR AF, but still gets some decent shots.

pretty crazy

Equipment MakeLG Electronics
Camera ModelVS987
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.4 (Windows)
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image Created2016:04:04 09:30:52
Exposure Time1/750 sec
F-Numberf/2.4
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/2.4
Brightness3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length1.53 mm
Comment0,6,-6 FN=0 FB = 0 ct = 0 me = 0x5 lidx=153.65 FM0 FC000010000
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
Spending every dime I have on a gh4 and the accessories I'll need.

What else do I need besides a lens, tripod, shoulder mount, and mic setup?
>>
>>2805777

Why the fuck are you buying a Canon DSLR for filmmaking? You can get so much more for your money these days.
>>
>>2807819
It doesn't have an identical picture to the GH4. Different sensors and color profiles.
>>
>>2808597
The sensor isn't that much smaller. There's a .5 difference there. Doesn't make much of a difference aside from low-light capabilities. The GX85 sounds like a dope-ass camera, but I'd wait for the reviews.
>>
>>2811057
What is with Pentaxfags recommending their cameras to everyone, even people who shoot video? I don't mean to shit on Pentax people, but holy fuck, that fanbase is annoying. They're worse than m4/3 fanboys.

But no, you should not get a K-50.
>>
>>2813522
.5^2
>>
>>2813509
Speedbooster and a decent preamp if you want onboard sound.

Don't listen to people who recommend Zoom bullshit, even their higher end models are noisy for the price. Get any JuicedLink amp and enjoy clean sound directly into the cam. If you need pro sound with a secondary system, hire a sound guy to take care of it professionally. At least with a good preamp, you can do your own lower budget gigs/indie projects and not have them sound like shit.

For the speedbooster, consider getting the EF version only because many other lenses can be mechanically adapted to EF, then optically adapted via the speedbooster, meaning you can use C/Y, Nikon, Leica R, etc on a Canon mount (if you shoot on C300, RED EF, BMCC EF, etc), but maintain a similar FOV when using your own GH4.

For audio, a shotgun is nice to have, but if you do lots of interior work, the standard recommendation of an NTG-2 will get you no where. Echos for days, and the pickup is fairly weak beyond a few feet. NTG-3 or a used 416 would be your best bet, but again, I recommend getting a pro sound guy for this. For personal projects? Rent good sound gear (costs very little) and feed that to your cam.

Cameras are at a point no where you shouldn't really be spending anything over $2k TOTAL for your base package, because everything else - the support rigging, the monitoring, the audio, the good lenses, etc - is best off being rented and adapted into your system. If you ever do become pro, you'll likely be renting anyway. The equipment you buy should be for your personal projects, learning, and maybe lower budget gigs (corporate videography, local commercials, web media). The greatest gift we have with modern cameras is their similarity in aesthetic to professional cameras. Learn on the cheap stuff, apply to the expensive stuff.
>>
>>2809897

So much salt.
>>
>>2813664
>Don't listen to people who recommend Zoom bullshit
i wish somebody had told me this back when i was buying a recorder
>>
>>2807454
I can understand why he would want that. Lubezkis movies have absolutely gorgeous cinematography. He's my favourite
>>
File: lunar-script.jpg (183 KB, 701x1421) Image search: [Google]
lunar-script.jpg
183 KB, 701x1421
>>2814017
updated my script,

I'll give this one more and only one more bump since i accidentally offended the bro who tried to help me ;_;

(i sent you a long apologetic email if you're reading this, again i'm sorry)

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image Created2016:04:12 08:57:25
Image Width701
Image Height1421
>>
>>2811690
>>2811743

I'm planning to get a better gear, i have some money to spend on it.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
>>
What external recorder do i get for my GH4 that won't wreck the bank?
>>
>>2797671
These are so terribly written.
>>
>>2814762
going on from this, how significant is the difference between the Shogun and the Ninja Assassin? Is the Shogun worth the £500 extra? Does anyone here use either of them?
>>
So here's the deal, guys. I want to practice videomaking while also being able to practice photography. Just want to try things out at first so would a D3300 be a good buy?
>>
>>2814762
Why do you need a recorder?
>>
>>2815391
i want to bypass the 30 min recording limit and get that sweet 10-bit 4:2:2, plus it can double as an external monitor
>>
File: Aisling sceptic.jpg (21 KB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
Aisling sceptic.jpg
21 KB, 720x400
Is a Canon 600d a decent camera for also doing filming? Not entire movies but stuff like interviews and short clips?
I heard great things about it and I found one for 550€ used with a 18-200mm lens.
>>
>>2816289
While I'm already at it: the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G70 has a 4k-Videomode. Seems like the killer-feature compared to everything else.
What Other DSLR/DSLM cameras have a 4k-video-mode or are otherwise suitable for a bit of filming?
>>
>>2816289
600D is fine as an entry-level camera to mess around with and use to get an understanding of lenses, aperture and ISO
>>
>>2816322
What would be the next step? Let's say I have 1.200€ budget and considering a new buy rather than used.
The 550€ used offer barely stretches my budget.
So far I did some stuff with the cameras of friends, mostly a Sony Alpha 5000.
As I said here >>2816296 some video capability wouldn't be bad
>>
>>2816289
It's not worth 550 eu though. Id pay 400 euro max
>>
>>2816342
What do you think of Sony Alpha 77 II though?,I got a pretty good offer with a lens 75-200mm and a bunch of stuff like bags and batteries. for 1k€
>>
>>2816296
>Seems like the killer-feature compared to everything else.
>4k
Homie, 4k is the least of your worries right now. You want shit like zebras, focus peaking, decent ISO performance, and lens selection. All 4k will do for you as a beginner is light your computer on fire after filling every piece of storage you have as you try to do post on the mammoth files.

I'd tell you to go cheap Canon that is supported by magic lantern, then spend the remaining money on a decent lens, lighting, and an audio recording setup (a recorder like the Zoom H5n plus a mic).

Sound is far more important in making a video feel professional than the video itself is (seems kinda weird, but trust me it's true).
>>
>>2816581
Can someone explain to me what makes magic lantern so superior? Because a Sony A 6000 or Alpha 77 seems to be great for video (50 fps in FullHD rather than 30 and that makes the video a lot smoother)
>>
>>2816677
>>2816581
Clarification:
I am currently deciding between Sony Alpha 77 II and Canon 70D. Both are in the almost same price category and suit my needs. The Sony has a better vidmodus but the Canon has this allegedly awesome Magic Lantern. (Apparenlty 70D support is still in progress, but I guess it will work soon enough)
>>
>>2816691
>>2816677
>allegedly awesome
Nothing allegedly about it.
http://blog.planet5d.com/2014/08/top-10-things-to-know-about-magic-lantern/
http://robertrodriguezjr.com/2012/07/24/the-benefits-of-using-magic-lantern-firmware-for-canon-dslrs/
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/?topic=7139.0

Basically, Canon unofficially allows this community to reverse engineer its firmware which allows them to implement features that Canon didn't put in. It's primarily focused on video production, but has a ton of additional, useful features for shooting stills as well.

>Apparently 70D support is still in progress
It's about 90% complete and most everything you'll want to use is fully functional. And yes, I use it on my 70D.

Here's another discussion so you can see other opinions on this very topic:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3732116#forum-post-54464661

I'd again though say go cheap body and get better lenses/lighting/audio gear. I can't emphasize enough how important these side factors are to your completed product.
>>
>>2816737
What's a cheap+good canon body? I am looking at 690€ for just the 70D body (I'd get a 760D but it doesn't have magiclantern support at all). I also see 750€ for the 70D with Lense and filters extra batteries, bags, batterygrips etc. and 900€ for 70D with 2 lenses and extrastuff. Would still leave me with 500-200€ for extra stuff.
>>
>>2816743
are you buying this for video?

Why the hell would you buy a canon DSLR for video?
>>
>>2816581

>You want shit like zebras, focus peaking, decent ISO performance, and lens selection.

All of which the G7 has and the fucking canon shit dslr needs to be hacked with 3rd party firmware to get any of it. For it's price the G7 is a much better value.
>>
>>2816751
Mostly Images but ALSO video (Think multi-media stuff like reports, articles and interviews with short video segments).
I got sent here by the standard gear thread and based on the cheap used offers I can find, my budget and my demands, it's pretty much either Sony or a Canon right now. (the Sony Alpha series can do 50 FPS)
>>
>>2816753
What G7 are you talking about?
>>
>>2816758
The Panasonic G7. A m4/3 sensor camera.
>>
>>2816760
I checked it out, now I'M almost sold, because in KIT, it is barely more expensive and offers a lot more techwise that Magiclantern just couldn't make up for.
Now, I'm not familiar with the pros and cons of sensor sizes and formats.
Jesus christ, the more expensive the stuff the more there is to potentially regret. I never had this problem with buying a decent recorder and microphone or monitor or anything else, really.
>>
>>2816762
>>2816760
Just found out the G7 is called the G70 in some countries, FOR SOME REASON, so this is that camera I was talking about >>2816296
>>
>>2814762
>>2815278
>>2815434
someome pls give me advice
>>
>>2816910
*someone
>>
>>2816754
Take a look at panasonic's offerings. In the lower price ranges it's the best video you can get, and they're perfectly fine stills cameras. You can get a g6 or gh3 used for cheap, or a g7. The g7 is the best bang for your buck.

Canon DSLR's are not a good value for their video capabilities. If you must buy canon, get a cheaper used rebel camera like the t2i or t3i or sl1. The video quality in all their DSLRs is exactly the same. I'm not making this up. There is no difference in video quality between the 70d and the low end canon cameras. Don't spend a premium on a canon.
>>
>>2816333
Depends
But you need experience first

And there are a lot of things to spend money on other than a camera body
You need:
>decent lenses
>a decent microphone
>a decent tripod
And that's just for starters. From there you need
>a shoulder rig
>an external recorder
>lights
>an external monitor
>follow focus
>matte box

But by here, you're approaching professional level
So save your money for now. Most people agree that the current 'budget' camera for video is the sony a6300
But that's a contentious statement as everyone has their own preference
>>
>>2817000
>The video quality in all their DSLRs is exactly the same. I'm not making this up. There is no difference in video quality between the 70d and the low end canon cameras.

I know what you're trying to say, but this is factually wrong
What you want to say is that the sensor on a canon 7D is identical to a 550d, 600d, 650d and 700d
The 750/760d has a better sensor
And the 70d has an even better sensor

And the 7d mkii has again another sensor
I'm not 100% sure on the sensor for the 80d, but the video is better than the 70d

But here's the thing
> SENSOR =/= VIDEO QUALITY
>>
>>2817007

Thanks for clearing that up. yes the sensors are different. But...
Same codec and bitrate. Same compression. Same pixel binning. The new sensor makes very little difference if the way the camera records the video is the same. Canon's updates on the video end are slim if at all from the the rebel series to the 60 and 70D.
And you're right, the sensor doesn't factor in to the video quality all that much if at all. If that was true, then the Pentax 645z would have amazing video quality, but that's not so.
>>
With my friend we have buy a a7s II for production shit (like musical clips, institutional films etc...) and we need some gears for be polyvalent what do you advice to me anons? (for ~ 1500€ max)
>>
Weird question, has to do with Audio.
I have a Samson Meteor mic for my desktop. It's a pretty good one, but it connects via USB. I wonder if I can use the USB port of an external recorded to connect it or if that is just for data transfer.
>>
>>2817923
Depends on the recorder.
>>
How do I attach my Tascam DR-40 on top of my GH2?
>>
File: $_32.jpg (155 KB, 914x525) Image search: [Google]
$_32.jpg
155 KB, 914x525
>>2817956
>>
My GH4 and related accessories are on the way. I'm really excited.

My only concern is if my laptop will be able to handle processing the 4K footage; anyone have any idea if it'll work? Here are my specs:

>i7 processor
>nvidia GeForce 840m
>8gb RAM (I might buy 4 gb more)
>windows 8.1
>Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

My plan is to downscale the 4k to 1080p. I will also be using LUTs, if that makes a difference. As a side question how good is the Rode Videomic Pro? B&H threw one in with my purchase for free.
>>
Is everyone ready for the NAB madness!?! I am!

>>2817956
1/4" to hotshoe

>>2817981
You should be fine, rendering'll take a bit longer probably though - and make sure you're editing off of a separate drive (as your internal drive does have a finite read/write speed).

The Videomic Pro is a pretty good on-camera mic (ok boom mic if need be). The quality of sound is more down to mic placement though in this case. It's miles better than the internal mic though.

Congrats on the new camera :)
>>
File: 71-yRf7I4XL._SL1500_.jpg (141 KB, 755x1500) Image search: [Google]
71-yRf7I4XL._SL1500_.jpg
141 KB, 755x1500
I've been using a Zoom H4 (known clock issues), but am sick of having the sync issues. Am I missing an easy fix to this, or should I just upgrade to the H4n and be done with it?
>>
>>2818053
PluralEyes I guess.
>>
>>2818063
My only issue with getting PluralEyes is that it's nearly twice as expensive a new Zoom H4n
>>
>>2818074
You can [spoiler]pirate[/spoiler] it.
>>
>>2818027
Thanks for the reply senpai.

>make sure you're editing off of a separate drive

I'm a rookie when it comes to this kind of thing, do mean like an external hard drive where I store the footage? I have a high speed memory card reader but no external drive.
>>
>>2818077
I've searched high and low for a working pirated version and have come up empty handed. If you have a source, please let me know.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.