[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Photography at a wedding when there is no pro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: photog.jpg (74 KB, 513x341) Image search: [Google]
photog.jpg
74 KB, 513x341
I'm going to a family wedding this weekend and found out that there are only 2 family friends (not pros or paid) shooting the wedding. Some of my immediate family and grandparents have told me that I should bring my camera which I don't have an issue with but don't know what the proper etiquette would be in this situation. Can anyone help me out?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2008:09:08 11:38:11
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width513
Image Height341
>>
Leave your camera at home.

Why work for free to record the event? Are you not there as a guest of the bride and groom to enjoy the event?
I usually don't equate joy with being forced to lug my camera to a formal event.
>>
Just be like the guy in your pic and bring an RZ, a tripod, and nothing but Portra 160. Say it's what the pros use, and if people don't like it they can leave you alone. Then go get shitfaced at the bar.

>Anon, these photos are taking too long!
>look, the camera says "Professional" on it, what more do you want?
>>
>>2794035
Most photographers will recommend you to be an ass to your family, because it would be an insult to them to be asked to work for free.

In my opinion it's completely up to your own judgement though, fuck etiquette.
>>
>pro bono meme
Step it up senpai, get them to buy you that m9 you always wanted.
>>
>>2794035

Just grab a Sony A6300 and watch the magic happen

https://youtu.be/aIw8bFM5rJQ
>>
>>2794121

who the fuck dresses like that at a wedding.
>>
>>2794129
>who the fuck dresses like that at a wedding.
Jason Lanier.

Realy though, even Jared Polin seems to know how he's supposed to dress at a wedding.
>>
>>2794035
Depends. Do you want to be a third photographer having to redo the other's photos? Do you want to stand over their shoulders and have them stand over yours? Do you want to be an employee or a guest?

And if you want, you could take your camera to take photos just for yourself, which limits you to environmental shit before the ceremony and quick ipad above the head shots because you're an asshole if you lean into the aisle if they already have a photographer.
>>
>>2794206
>tfw i helped my friend shoot a wedding
>we were both wearing hoodies
suck a tit

you paid us to take shots not dress nice
>>
>>2794391
lel.
just bring a tele lens.
let the others cover the normal focal length.
>>
>>2794397
They paid you to be professionals. You failed.
>>
>>2794430
No we were paid to capture beautiful moments of the bride, groom, and event.

We were paid to remind this lucky couple of their magical day when they gave their lives to each other.

We were paid to produce a cute video of the entire event, capturing all of the emotion and feelings in the air.

We were never paid or told to dress nice :^)
>>
>>2794453
It's so great that your local market has room for Autism friendly projects anon.
>>
>>2794121
He keeps saying he doesn't get paid for that shit, but it's even more embarrassing if he does all that shilling for free.
The fedora really doesn't help either
>>
File: shillinisnteasy.jpg (520 KB, 1265x723) Image search: [Google]
shillinisnteasy.jpg
520 KB, 1265x723
>>2794577
>He keeps saying he doesn't get paid for that shit
There's no way that Jason Lanier isn't paid or compensated for his shilling. He's so dedicated to it. You don't put this much effort into shilling a brand, especially a camera brand on Youtube if you're not being compensated somehow. The time, effort and cost it takes to film every upload offsets the benefits too greatly.

If he somehow is doing it completely free and receives even no gear in return for his shilling, then he's as autistic as Ken.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Created2016-03-16T20:30:27
FlashNo Flash, Red-Eye Reduce
Image Width1265
Image Height723
>>
>>2794040
this nigger knows
>>
>>2794035
If you want to, then go for it, especially if you want some wedding photos for your portfolio if you ever plan to do it professionally. But if you do decide to take photos, talk with the bride and groom AND the other photographers. It sounds like they're amateurs as well, so you guys should have some kind of plan so that you're not stumbling over each other and being annoying to the bride and groom and guests, like the other anon pointed out.

It's really not that hard to figure out.

And as for doing pro bono work, it's going to happen to a certain extent if photographers want to make it professionally in this day and age. Once you have a decent portfolio, use it as leverage to get paid gigs.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 350x262
What gear would you bring

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width350
Image Height262
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2794849
Probably just my a6000 and a lens or two.
>>
>>2794121
>Take one terrible photo of a dress in the window that looks like it came from Uncle Joe's cell phone.
"Wow, that's gorgeous. okay now I'm going to change lenses"
hahahaha This fucking guy.
>>
In my mind there is nothing obnoxious about bringing that camera but you could still be obnoxious by hovering during formals and standing in annoying places at the reception. Just be mindfull and remember its not your responsibility to get a shot so dont be jumping into the aisle. But in reality why bother? You know you can drink and party at these things right? Snap a selfie with you and your date at cocktail hour and just have fun.
>>
>>2794585
>he's as autistic as Ken.
I think that's the most likely answer, honestly.
>>
>>2794121
Shooting a wedding with an a6300?

Could you?
Yes
Should you?
No
>>
File: Capture.png (269 KB, 496x304) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
269 KB, 496x304
>>2794121
He really enjoys fluffing those dresses
>>
>>2794585
Jason Lanier is a total shill. He's no fanboi. Even Kai from digitalrev is now talking about Leica and how it is already getting shit due to their recent camera.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.