[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The perils of street photography
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 29
File: Street-Photo-13[1].jpg (3 MB, 2738x1825) Image search: [Google]
Street-Photo-13[1].jpg
3 MB, 2738x1825
Has anyone been in an altercation while shooting street? I read in the 'Girls with Cameras' thread that having a woman with you when doing street photography eases the tension.

Why is this?

Should I enlist my girlfriend to accompany me when shooting street? Would it add credibility to give her a camera to shoot with as well?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-Pro1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.3 (Windows)
PhotographerTed Covey
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)32 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2013:01:27 13:00:16
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/1.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/1.0
Brightness0.4 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length21.00 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
WHATS THAT GUY DOING is probly the worst u have to deal with
>>
>>2792284

coward faggots have no place in street photo. enjoy being eternally tortured by your hesitation, candy ass.
>>
File: R0134591 (Custom).jpg (150 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
R0134591 (Custom).jpg
150 KB, 1000x662
>>2792284
You in west LA?

Rodeo Drive is as bougie and safe as it gets, grow a pair. Just take the shot first, and deal with what happens (usually nothing or a smile) afterwards.

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelGR
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:02:27 19:08:59
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Brightness1.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.30 mm
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2792284
I've had one person ask me not to use a photo.

Other than that, nothing.

Occasionally someone will make a face at me and I'll just keep going.

Sometimes I bring my girlfriend along but honestly it feels like that makes it MORE likely for someone to come up to me and say something. When you have someone with you, you're usually talking to them and so it makes you stand out more.

But when I go out to shoot at night, I like to bring my girlfriend because occasionally I'll find a cool looking spot light-wise but no one will walk by.
>>
>>2792302
Also, your attitude and demeanor have a LOT to do with it. If you're stalking around and acting really nervous, people will be uncomfortable.

I always make sure to walk like I belong and never hesitate raising my camera. And if someone look at you, just smile and nod or something.
>>
>>2792284
So I've generally been in smaller cities and towns when I tried to shoot (mainly the 50-100k populations with a few trips to 500k) and at this and below, you have to be willing to interact with people because people will react to you.

Then on a recent trip, I ended up in a few major metro areas (Chicago was one of them)...holy fuck it was easy as hell. People go out of their way to ignore your existence. You've got to almost literally be in someone's face to provoke a reaction. Yeah, you get some looks/little comments, but whatever. It's nothing.
>>
File: tumblr_ldolqgvJmc1qcpdqto1_400.jpg (54 KB, 350x392) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ldolqgvJmc1qcpdqto1_400.jpg
54 KB, 350x392
>>2792304
little comment
>>
>>2792356
u too shook for this
>>
>>2792285
>WHATS THAT GUY DOING is probly the worst u have to deal with
I've had someone pull a knife on me. I'm more surprised it's happened to me and not you, considering your abhorrent use of the English language.
>>
File: 20140212-DSC_5714.jpg (286 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
20140212-DSC_5714.jpg
286 KB, 1000x665
>>2792288
exactly you need some guts OP

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D700
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.3 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Color Filter Array Pattern738
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)80 mm
Image Created2014:04:19 00:52:35
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length80.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2792380
Story?
>>
>>2792380
probly because ur a wimp and u look like one
>>
>>2792385
There's not much to say.
I took a shot of two guys having a drunken argument at night. They point, approach and start arguing. One of them pulled a knife within the first 30 seconds of talking.
It cooled down pretty quickly desu. Some people are just wired a different way though.
>>2792386
Noice.
>>
I take my camera with me most times I go out with my girlfriend. Almost aways I miss shots because my subject is on her side of me or I'll take a photo and she'll walk into the side of the frame. Walking beside someone while trying to shoot street sucks
>>
OP,

as a street photog in nyc, I have literally patrolled the streets at night by myself and stuck flashes in people's faces and shot 2 feet from them. I do this pretty much every other night.

The worst that has ever happened to me was confrontations from uptight foreigners. never any physical fights. then they skulk off while i look at my shot and sometimes feel very happy about the result.

more than half the fun of street photog for me is the thrill and the pleasure of reward for the thrill after the fact. the fact that i couldn't have gotten that shot unless i took a risk. and in reality the only risk is a negative interaction with a stranger you'll never see again.

with the way i shoot I'll probably get the shit kicked out of me soon enough, im surprised it hasnt happened already. but its been about 3 years so far that ive shot like this and its been working out and getting easier. and its definitely worth it.

start in the day in crowded places. just stick your camera right in someones face. do this 100 times until you realize theres no consequence other than a potentially good shit and a minor annoyance to a stranger who will forget the occasion in 10 minutes or less.

it also helps immensely when drunk.
>>
>>2792465
hahaha bro are you dating a retarded person???
>>
>>2792304
Literally this. Shooting around London couldn't be easier, you let off a shutter within earshot of anyone where I live and people wonder what on earth you're doing
>>
>>2792469
Nice photos you postin fąm
>>
>>2792489
im at work guy
>>
>>2792522
NICE PHOTOS PAL.
>>
>>2792485
Nah, non-photog GF's just do this shit.

Mine does it, too.
>>
>>2792469

post pictures later, tho

I find it hard when I go street with D600 or D7000! With flash I would be somehow sued
>>
File: Scan-140515-0028.jpg (248 KB, 1001x687) Image search: [Google]
Scan-140515-0028.jpg
248 KB, 1001x687
I've had a few, and only a few, runins with people while shooting street. Most folks don't feel like shouting at a stranger just because he has a camera so it's more or less limited to angry alcoholics. And they'll yell at you regardless anyhow.
This one physically restrained me and called the cops. I don't know what he expected them to do, though.
It was annoying at the time but now it's a funny story I can tell.
>>
>>2792757
Yeah, pretty much mainly three categories of people to avoid:
>drunks/druggies
>people clearly breaking the law
>psycho mothers

Psycho mothers are, in my experience, the most dangerous. Almost had my eyes clawed out by one bitch who thought I was trying to take pictures of her daughter.
>>
File: DSC_8733.jpg (156 KB, 663x1001) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8733.jpg
156 KB, 663x1001
>>2792757
Another.
The stocky one on the left walked up right into my face and threatened to prosecute me for taking photos. He hinted at some terrorism charges too.
I was a little nervous at the time because I didn't want to miss my flight the next day but apart from that it really is perfectly harmless.
Taking a photo is not actually a crime.
>>
>>2792764
>Taking a photo is not actually a crime.
Depends on where you're at and what you're taking pictures of.
>>
>>2792764
are you brown?
>>
That feel when you live in country where you can't take street shots w/o premission. Also people are extra introverted here..
>>
File: DSC_8745.jpg (453 KB, 1024x1546) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8745.jpg
453 KB, 1024x1546
>>2792768
>>2792770
Not brown.
Taking a photo of a Garda is legal. There were military units on the scene as well and taking a photo with one of their faces in it is apparently at least borderline criminal.
I was just a tourist snapping an exciting scene, though, and a cop in a major city should be much more diplomatic with those, in my opinion.
These photos were secreted on a secondary SD card, btw, otherwise they'd have been deleted when he took my camera from me.
Just me, too. There were 50 tourists shooting this but I guess I was the most inviting target.

You'd think a garda dealing with a bomb/poison threat would have more important worries.
Again, though; once it's over it's a story you can tell and that's kind of neat.
>>
>>2792784
>Taking a photo of a Garda is legal.
I dunno what the rules of where you were are. I was just stating that in this world, there are many places where taking photographs is illegal.
>You'd think a garda dealing with a bomb/poison threat would have more important worries
This is where you're highly wrong. The crowd around a terror threat is extremely important and of interest to cops. They have to treat this like a dry run (where terrorists make a threat, then time the response and record what kind of units show up, how they disperse, what they do, etc. -- which having a photographer on scene is important for, and pretending to be a tourist is a pretty obvious cover for such) or it could have been yet another example of some ISIS-esque social media campaign.

I'm not in favor of the police state we find ourselves in, but part of not getting on the wrong side of them is understanding their position. Good on you for secreting away some pictures, but know that if you're ever on a scene like that again, you're going to be under much higher scrutiny and possibly detained.
>>
>>2792794
>This is where you're highly wrong(...)
Again, I was one tourist in a huge crowd, all of us taking photos. He had no good reason to single me out and be an asshole about it. I guess he just had a bad that and needed to feel like a Big Man.
I will avoid such scenes in the future since I have absolutely no trust in police by now.
>>
>>2792857
You were one tourist in a large crowd who did something that that particular cop found suspicious.
>He had no good reason to single me out and be an asshole about it.
He did have good reason. If no other reason to scare others, or, more likely, you were being suspicious.
>needed to feel like a Big Man.
I won't begin to claim that there aren't a lot of dickhole cops on this planet who are all about the power trip, but you're talking about someone in the middle of having to deal with a highly stressful situation in which any one of those people nosing around could be a perpetrator or a possible soon-to-be-victim if there's a secondary device stuck beyond the cordon.

tl;dr Cops generally are people. If you're a dick to them, they'll be dicks back. From the way you're talking in this thread, I have a strong feeling that you were being a dick. Yeah, you could have come across someone just power tripping, but with that attitude? Nah, you pushed buttons, so they pushed the buttons they could.
>>
File: DSC_8742.jpg (245 KB, 1001x663) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8742.jpg
245 KB, 1001x663
>>2792863
Sounds like you know the scenario better than me, anon who is definitely not a cop. I'll just back off before you "find" something in my car.

Yeah, I pushed buttons with a 200 mm. on crop from across the street in a crowd right next to press photos also shooting the same scene.
>>
File: DSC_8763.jpg (186 KB, 663x1001) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8763.jpg
186 KB, 663x1001
>>2792877
Another hardened criminal right here.
>>
>>2792877
>>2792879
So what you're saying is that you weren't clearly a professional photojournalist out freelancing or the local beat guys who are on first name basis with most of the cops in that district (or at least the important ones) and weren't a random white guy taking cell phone pictures, and you were taking pictures of the crowd and not just what was going on, but you don't see how that was cause to single you out?

>clearly not a cop
If you knew me, you'd know how hilarious it is to accuse me of being a LEO. I know how to deal with cops and when to press the issue because I have dealt with them frequently and have probably been handcuffed in the back of a cop car more times than you've had sexual partners. You play the game by their rules and you win. You play by your rules and you get your gear "dropped", magneted, detained for hours if not a full day, etc. If you don't know the local rules, and I'm not talking about the local law, or have contacts in a given jurisdiction, you play very carefully. The more impoverished the area or strict the government, the more carefully you play.
>>
My girlfriend always comes with me when I go out shooting. However, I don't shoot street, I shoot animals. And her coming with me is more to get out, get a little exercise and discover a new place. When we do encounter strangers they never get weird or angry and they usually notice that I'm looking for birds/animals and tell me things they've seen in the area. So I've had good luck thus far. I have been questioned before what I was photographing, I think they though I was possibly spying, but I'll tell them and even show them pics.
>>
File: DSC_8750.jpg (283 KB, 1001x663) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8750.jpg
283 KB, 1001x663
>>2792889
I don't see any point in arguing with you further and I wonder why you're on the photography board with that attitude at all.
Plenty of the tourists had DSLRs if that's what you're getting at, but I think you've just decided I must have been in the wrong no matter what.

You talk about the way I express myself here, but I'm typing all this almost a year after the event. I was a lot less salty about police before they proved themselves to be petty and shitty. You seem to assume the tail is causing the dog.
>>
one time a woman called me a creep

fucking women
>>
>>2792898
>wonder why you're on the photography board with that attitude at all.
Because you're so butthurt and unreasonable that you fail to see what my point is. You have to learn how to take pictures at scenes like this and get away with it. You have no interest in learning the how to, and figure that whatever you do must be in the right and anything that happens to you is because people are mean and oppressing you. Your attitude is shit and you literally will never have a good interaction with LEOs until you unass your head.
>plenty of the tourists had DSLRs
>shows a picture with one, and she's not taking pictures of the crowd
>You talk about the way I express myself here, but I'm typing all this almost a year after the event. I was a lot less salty about police before they proved themselves to be petty and shitty.
Even if that were the case, you're an idiot from that point instead of just being inclusive of that point. You're showing an abject inability to look at this situation from any perspective but your own and frankly, you're fucking up your ability to get shots at events like this in the future because you refuse to learn any lessons. You're just being a chickenshit and running and hiding instead of working the system.

You're like those guys who refuse to take part in the political process at any level, but then expects it to cater to his wishes.
>>
File: DSC_8743.jpg (198 KB, 1001x659) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8743.jpg
198 KB, 1001x659
>>2792906
I won't bother. I guess you "win."
>>
>>2792951
>my head is so far up my ass I can't admit that someone other than me might have a point about which I'm unjustifiably afraid and irrational so I'm going to pretend they were just talking for internet win points.
>>
>>2792953
no, he's just not retarded enough to continue a pointless arguement
>>
>>2792957
>no, he just wants to continue to be a chickenshit who runs away from any authority figure while claiming to be oppressed
TFTFY
>>
File: 20151218-IMG_7235.jpg (2 MB, 2873x4309) Image search: [Google]
20151218-IMG_7235.jpg
2 MB, 2873x4309
if ur afraid to get caught u already lost

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Horizontal Resolution100 dpi
Vertical Resolution100 dpi
Image Created2016:01:11 14:26:38
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
Nobody fux with me, lil' homie.
>>
>>2792889
lel, Do you always carry two bodies with you at all times? I'm just curious, you seem like the type of monumental faggot I always see at any event.
>2792889
>and you were taking pictures of the crowd and not just what was going on, but you don't see how that was cause to single you out?
Care to explain how this singles someone out? I doubt the poster was Autistic enough to be using fill flash in daylight within 3 metres of the subject.

Care to share what third world shithole you live in though? Most people in the shithole I live in have phones, cameras and even tourists roaming around.
>>2792906
>because people are mean and oppressing you
10/10
>Even if that were the case, you're an idiot from that point instead of just being inclusive of that point. You're showing an abject inability to look at this situation from any perspective but your own and frankly, you're fucking up your ability to get shots at events like this in the future because you refuse to learn any lessons. You're just being a chickenshit and running and hiding instead of working the system.
lel

Anyway, nice posts m8. Don't reply to me with your autistic views, even if they do finally come with content for the board in the form of pictures :^)
>>
>>2793073
Pretty sure that the guy talking about having one negative experience and then purposefully avoiding cops from then on is more autistic than someone saying to work the system.
>>
I've had people cover their faces twice (that I can remember). Some stares. That's it really.

>>2792889
You're annoying, just drop it and leave.
>>
>>2793162
>You're annoying, just drop it and leave.
>I find someone annoying and want them to leave so I'll goad them instead of ignoring them.

Either 1/10 troll or socially inept. My bet is the latter.
>>
>>2792284
>Has anyone been in an altercation while shooting street?

Yes. Since I bought a camera a year ago, I've been everywhere from asked politely not to take photos, to grabbed, yelled at, had stuff stolen, and harassed by private security.

It all depends on where you are. If you live in a flyover, relatively cultureless city like I do (Minneapolis) people will not be used to seeing cameras in the street and will go out of their way to start confrontation. If you live in a big city where people have better shit to do, you will be fine. When I've been to Chicago or Paris or other worldly cities, it is very easy and I never have problems.
>>
>>2792469
You know, it's funny, I used street photography for a while to get over my social anxiety. Was always nervous as fuck talking to people and interacting with them, so I got sick of it since I never had anyone to talk to. Street photography will always hold a special place in my heart for me because of that.

It's funny how much you get over your nerves when you push yourself to get close and take pictures of strangers.
>>
File: Velvia 02 08.jpg (633 KB, 1000x669) Image search: [Google]
Velvia 02 08.jpg
633 KB, 1000x669
>>2792284
I've only shot street in Japan, and being a gaijin means you get away with a lot of things. And in Tokyo nobody really gives a shit either way. Around here in Yurop I wouldn't even think of street shooting in big cities especially at night, you're just asking for trouble from drunk assholes and risk getting mugged for your camera. Also trash kike media has spent the years convincing people of the ever-present danger of paedophiles and rapists, and hence I get the evil eye from about 80% of women I come across when roaming with a camera, even when it's a woodland path and I'm obvious there to take nature photos.That also brings about the danger of white knighting cunts.

I do shoot traffic photos to produce stock footage for school projects on the side (major in civil engineering), I've been stalked by a female driver once when shooting a highway from an overpass, other than that only the funny driver reactions when they notice, as they usually think I'm a cop.

>>
>In Northern Ireland
>In Belfast
>Taking pictures around the city centre
>Flag Protesters outside city hall
>Take a picture of them
>Cop starts approaching me
>Look slightly confused because this never really happens and normally people will just go "ooh big camera, he's press related."
>Cop asks to see recent pictures
>I say sure, no real reason not to
>Show him
>One of them has him slightly in frame so you can see his face
>Asks me to delete it
>I do it since he's a PSNI officer and if any of my pics end up online, having his face photographed in that uniform can literally endanger his life
>Flag protester comes over and is like "DELETE OURS TOO"
>Laugh and say no
>Cop laughs and tells them I don't have to

Good times had by all, only time I've been stopped.
>>
>>2792469
>it also helps immensely when drunk
this

but seriously it helps if your not completely rekt
>>
>>2792381

That's nice, Anon.

Is that her orbiter or her kid behind her?
>>
>>2792757
>physically restrained me

And you didn't do anything?
Holding someone against their will is kidnapping.
>>
>>2792780

lol, what dump is that?
>>
File: Scan-140515-0029.jpg (230 KB, 688x1001) Image search: [Google]
Scan-140515-0029.jpg
230 KB, 688x1001
>>2793327
That's what I told him, but he was holding on to one arm and I was using the other to hold my camera and didn't fancy putting it down or using it as a weapon.
I was pretty disappointed in the cops for letting him go once they showed up actually, but I guess at the end of the day it's better to have lazy cops than overenthusiastic ones.
>>
File: mydadcanfixanything.jpg (56 KB, 413x627) Image search: [Google]
mydadcanfixanything.jpg
56 KB, 413x627
>>2792284
OP, having a woman with you when doing street eases the tension because everyone knows that only men can be pedo or leering creeps, right?

I have only been confronted once. Was at a music festival in May in the US south, where it can get uncomfortably hot. Amongst the ten thousand or so people lounging and listening to the bands was a very beautiful blonde preteen girl dancing with a hula hoop. Hundreds of people in the area were mesmerized by her, with good reason, as she was dressed in a tiny pair of ripped jeans shorts and a tight, undersized white crop top.

As I was dodging pedestrian traffic trying to get a clear shot, a twentysomething guy confronts me and demands to look at my photos. I just looked him in the eye and bluntly said no. I was prepared to make him eat my camera lens and all. So now whatcha gonna do? (Hey, I'm and old guy now, but not a pussy - onetime professional athlete). He backed off and sat down. Whereupon I calmly shot a few snaps of him so that I would have his image in case he were to return to become a defendant in my lawsuit. I then proceeded to shoot my original subject.

Afterwards I wished I had told him, "Dude, I have photographed tens of thousands of people from birth to 101 years old, and I see a girl at a music festival with a hula hoop. What do YOU see?" And further could have suggested that if he had a problem with the way the girl was dressed he was talking to the wrong person, and should go confront her white trash mom, who was sitting nearby oblivious to the consternation being caused by her offspring.

PhotographerMike
>>
>>2793330
>I was pretty disappointed in the cops for letting him go once they showed up actually, but I guess at the end of the day it's better to have lazy cops than overenthusiastic ones.
I guess it's better to let someone homeless die out on the streets, where the only cost to the government is cremation than it is to have them locked up, taking up space and resources.
>>
>>2793376
>homeless
>denmark
>die in the streets

ha yeeeahaha right.
>>
>>2793082
Only an autist thinks there's always a 'system' to be worked.
That's literally the functional definition of autism, an inability to cope with reality without systems and routines.
>>
>>2793342

cool story. let's see the pic
>>
>>2793342
>Was at a music festival in May in the US south
The Hangout Festival

...Are you the pedo that keeps the AT&T wifi services banned from 4chan down there, or are you the old dude I met with the 5D?
...are you both?

Fuck.
>>
File: 09-10455as2.jpg (71 KB, 560x697) Image search: [Google]
09-10455as2.jpg
71 KB, 560x697
>>2793429
I don't think I have it anymore, but may scroll through some old storage tonight looking. Wasn't anything special as a photo. Meanwhile have this biker girl shot from across a boulevard.

>>2793440
Nope. Not the Hangout Fest. Never heard of it, but I may have to google it up and take a little trip.

PhotographerUser 1
>>
>>2792879
He's wearing sunglasses. Obviously a terrorist, pedophile, or both!
>>
>>2793440
>Are you the pedo that keeps the AT&T wifi services banned from 4chan down there,
It's the entire fucking GSM that's banned. On a recent trip, I started having problems around Kentucky that didn't stop until I was out of the South again.
>>
>>2793419
>talking about police
>literally the enforcement arm of Justice SYSTEM
>no system
>>
>>2793537
You honestly think every cop at all times is just a perfectly functioning extension of the state?
The stocky garda who started this autistic debate crossed the street, got right in my face, and said "If I see you taking more pictures I will arrest you and I will prosecute you."
He was rude, probably because he was on edge what with hazmat and explosive ordnance personnel all around him, but he was definitely the one being an asshole.
As I said, and some extent showed in photos, there were lots and lots of people, many of them tourists, and they were all taking photos and filming. Some had cameras larger than my D7000, some didn't. He chose to harass only me and he had no good reason for it apart from, I'm guessing, the look of my face, which I'm neither capable nor legally required to change.

I don't know why you want to throw yourself into this discussion like this when you obviously weren't fucking there. Unless you actually are that fact Irish prick you have no way of knowing how it went down so you're clearly just pouring your childish bias out for the rest of us to laugh at.
>>
>>2793564
>perfectly functioning extension of the state
You have serious issues reading. Further, you're so emotional over this entire thing, you're putting to lie the notion that you've ever been reasonable about it.
>He was rude
There's a difference between rudeness and directness.
>He oppressed me!
Yup, the solution here is to keep being a victim and not learn anything from the situation (well, other than I need to be a victim forever).
>Unless you actually are that fact Irish prick you have no way of knowing how it went down so you're clearly just pouring your childish bias out for the rest of us to laugh at.
>childish bias
>Irish prick
>imma hide from cops forever because of one interaction

Gotcha.
>>
File: DSC_8720.jpg (266 KB, 1001x663) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8720.jpg
266 KB, 1001x663
>>2793568
Man, I'm not emotional about this at all. It's just a very meaningless discussion on /p/.
I don't walk around fantasising about what I should have said to the garda either. It's just a thing that happened and could happen again. It's not a big deal.
I was worried at the time because had a flight to catch the next morning and I really didn't need spending the night in jail, but since I didn't it's just a little more flavour to the trip.
No, I don't hide from cops forever. I might be a little more careful about taking photos of them, in Dublin anyway, but I'd have to be an idiot to assume they are all like that one all the time.
He was definitely a prick and he was definitely Irish. I'm sorry you have such a hard time dealing with colourful language and I think you're in for a really bad time on this website because of it.

Are you one of those people who mistake any post longer than 3 lines for a ragefilled rant?
>>
>>2793580
>I'm not emotional at all.
So that's why you rage quit, what twice and came back to it?
>No I don't hide from cops
Yup, that's the reason why you said earlier that's exactly what you do and how you won't take pictures of them.
>I'd have to be an idiot to assume they are all like
Amusingly you've stated this very thing already.
>He was a prick and Irish...hard time dealing with colourful language.
I have no problem dealing with language of any kind. What I find amusing is that you are blind to how your choice of language reveals your thoughts on the matter.
>Are you one of those people who mistake any post longer than 3 lines for a ragefilled rant?
Nope, not in the slightest. That said, I do find that people repeating themselves over and over again in long form after saying that they were done responding pretty indicative of some flavor of emotional response.

Better watch out talking about cops and bombs online. I hear they have a pretty sophisticated setup for spying on people with the NSA. You might get oppressed again.
>>
I was walking in the city with my gf and sister one time and snapped a photograph while walking by a cab driver looking under the hood of his car. I was trying out one of those diy tlr 35mm cameras. I turned, snapped and kept walking. Then I hear "what was that!?" "Bla bla fucking bla" "yeaaaah you keep walking"

Just kelped walking and my sis and gf were like do you hear that? I was like nope lol
>>
>>2793589
Okay, buddy. This is me "ragequitting" again then.
I've posted more photos of cops in this thread than you, though. I'll probably not shoot cops again, no, and I don't trust them anymore than I do other people, but I don't believe I said I'll climb the nearest tree and cry if I see a policeman, no.
I'm not playing any victim cards here at all. I just said that one guy was an asshole and it worked out alright and now it's a story I can tell in threads like this. You're the only one making a huge deal out of it. Go back and read my first post about it again.

And why don't you post some of your own photos to really show me how it's done?
>>
>>2793602
You've glorious back-peddling technique.
>pretend something entirely different was said than what actually was said.
>argues against exaggerated point instead of what was actually said
>maintains that he was a victim of a cop but say not playing victim
>accuse other person of blowing out of proportion
>not one but two attempts to prove superiority through posting muh cop pictures

Are you a politician by chance?
>>
>>2792284
>Guy shooting photos of people on the street
Holy shit, literally Hitler, that guy is going to masturbate to pictures of me later!

>Girl shooting photos of people on the street
Wow, I better pose for this shot; what a brilliant artist! I'm glad I'm going to be famous now.
>>
File: Scan-140607-0037.jpg (440 KB, 1001x681) Image search: [Google]
Scan-140607-0037.jpg
440 KB, 1001x681
>>2793602
Here's another one that caused me to be approached.

Half an hour after I took the photo actually, and in a different part of town.
The mother came up to me and asked if I'd photographed her son earlier. I said yes and she asked why. She was quakyvoiced as if about to cry even, so I explained very carefully that it's just photography and not creepy at all and handed her a card.
She was relieved and we talked a little. Apparently that kid had an adult male stalker. The father maybe? I don't know.
Creepy as hell either way and in retrospect the mother was amazingly calm in her approach to me. It all worked out nicely once again, as things so often do when people keep an open mind and talk to one another.

Delta 400 in stock xtol if memory serves.
>>
>>2793612
>unimportant conversation on 4chan
>watch me write a novel to prove myself
>>
>>2793605
It's "backpedaling."
>>
>>2793620
Thanks.
>>
>>2792889
reading your replies in this thread,, you're clearly an arrogant asshole. I'm not the anon you've been winding up, but had to be said.
>>
>>2793720
Obviously. Thankfully being nice isn't a prerequisite to being right.
>>
>>2793612
So much hassle for a boring, overexposed snapshit of some kid. Wow.

What a waste of film this is.
>>
File: Scan-140310-0013.jpg (183 KB, 674x1001) Image search: [Google]
Scan-140310-0013.jpg
183 KB, 674x1001
>>2793727
I'm kinda rich so I don't lay awake at night worrying about one frame of 35 mm. film.
Thanks for your concern, though.

If you must know, I was just loading the roll and took that photo mainly to advance the film to the first "sure" frame. I wasn't sure I was taking a photo at all.
The low angle is because I found a convenient bench on which to sit while I did it.

And it wasn't hassle. It was a nice little experience that ended well. Human interaction doesn't have to be as terribly stressful as you imagine. Go try it today!
>>
>>2793727
>Everyone needs to shoot film so that film doesn't die
>Stop wasting frames of film you faggots.
Hm.
>>
>>2793750
Wow, you're a self-absorbed prick.
>>
File: Scan-140219-0029.jpg (225 KB, 675x1001) Image search: [Google]
Scan-140219-0029.jpg
225 KB, 675x1001
>>2793752
You've got me there. I myself and my amazing life.
>>
>>2793720
Hahaha. Oh god, and I'm the asshole.

>>2793755
Friend, I pity how empty your life is. You literally need people to look up to you on an anonymous image board.

Amazing life indeed.
>>
>>2793750

You're not as good as your imagine yourself to be. The photos you've posted here are forgettable.
>>
File: Scan-140219-0019.jpg (192 KB, 700x1001) Image search: [Google]
Scan-140219-0019.jpg
192 KB, 700x1001
>>2793755
I LOVE myself etc. is what I meant. Whoops.

>>2793758
You still just take everything I say 100% seriously, don't you? The word autism gets thrown around a lot here but I think it really does apply to you.

Post some of your work already. That'll shut me up.
>>
>>2793763
I know that. I don't think any of my photos are good at all.
This was a thread about confrontations, though, and I had a few stories. I posted the best photos related to the stories even though they're far from masterpieces.
Right now I'm just posting random crap to annoy that autistic fellow.
>>
>>2793765
>That'll shut me up.
Guy, I broke my femur a week ago. I'm stuck in a fucking bed all day. You're some of the best entertainment I've had for the last two days. Why would I want to shut you up?
>>
File: Scan-140716-0022.jpg (297 KB, 666x1001) Image search: [Google]
Scan-140716-0022.jpg
297 KB, 666x1001
>>2793772
You're in bed all day after a week? Complicated fracture? You should be up and walking otherwise.
I'd still like to see some of your work.
>>
File: 4chan.jpg (254 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
254 KB, 800x1000
>>2793778
>Complicated fracture?
Yeah...had to go with an external fixation, plus having to deal with an infection...yay.

>I'd still like to see some of your work.
Probably not, I shoot only milf porn.

>>
>>2793330
>>2793612
>>2793750
>>2793755
>>2793765
>>2793778

Meaningless snapshits.
Nigga, who do you think you are? Motherfucking Dildo Moriyama or Bruce 'broken tooth' Gilden? Your images say nothing. They don't tell any story at all. Who the fuck cares about you being 'rich' if you have no artistic vision whatsoever? Here#s some advice- Sell your gear and find yourself another hobby.
>>
Guys whats going on
>>
>>2793824
I'm an autistic asshole. The other guy is a snapshitting, self-absorbed prick. Go out and take pictures of people. You likely won't die.
>>
>>2793804
>Who the fuck cares about you being 'rich'
You didn't at all catch the joke then? I said I don't care about the cost of one frame of 35 mm. film. You don't have to be rich for that at all.
Do you just not understand jokes and sarcasm at all?
Did you think I was actually seriously bragging about being able to afford 1/37 of a roll of film?
Come on, man. You need to lighten up a little bit.

>>2793826
Again, I don't disagree on the "snapshitting" part at all. I'm not posting the photos because I think they're great but rather because they're the best ones I had related to the stories. This is a thread about street confrontations, remember?
>>
>>2793838
>Again, I don't disagree on the "snapshitting" part at all. I'm not posting the photos because I think they're great but rather because they're the best ones I had related to the stories. This is a thread about street confrontations, remember?
Yeah, I'm just giving him the tl;dr of the thread.
>>
File: 61KYCox.jpg (152 KB, 680x798) Image search: [Google]
61KYCox.jpg
152 KB, 680x798
Girls help a lot.
Openly gay male couples too.
In fact most young and attractive people work similarly.
But especially beautiful teenage girls.
+1 talisman of protection from paranoid douchebags.

x10 if they are using cameras.
>>
I took a snapshit of a girl pissing on the street and 2 sjw girls got all in my face, yelling at me, telling me I was the "scum of the earth" and that they hated people like me. Went on for 5 minutes. One of the two would not give up and kept yelling at me, fuming, until her friend took her away.

The 2 girls are in the picture, top right.

If you want to shoot street dont be a wuss?

Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
>>
>>2796153

>doing some shit in public
>getting exposed because dumb fuckers

>we just record the moment

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 (Windows)
PhotographerE. Chiereguini
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:03:18 23:30:34
>>
File: DSC_7793-Edit-Edit.jpg (505 KB, 1000x668) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7793-Edit-Edit.jpg
505 KB, 1000x668
they get mad because we can frame their lack of sense

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Color Filter Array Pattern4930
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Image Created2016:03:18 23:39:46
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/7.1
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1000
Image Height668
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
took a shitty picture of a courier leaning into a van the other day, my shutter speed was too slow so it ended up being blurry, a few steps later another courier runs at me and pushes me, threatening to smash my camera and telling me to delete the picture, I say no and after him yelling for a while he leaves, emailed the company he works for about it and it looks like hes going to get fired now.
Looking back at the picture he was sitting in the van but I didn't even see him at the time.
>>
>>2796153
>no gilden-esque shot of chick in your face yelling
Yeah, some not wuss you are.
>>
I have no problem taking pics of people but whenever I'm on the street I have this anxiety that someone will realize the monetary value of my camera and lens and jump me for it. Anyone else have this or have experiences with this kind of thing? Am I just paranoid?
>>
>>2796709
>Am I just paranoid?
It's mostly paranoia.
>>
>>2796709
>>2796715
is not just paranoia, it depends of the city I guess. Here were I live it's a very stupid thing to do to go around taking pictures with anything resembling a dslr, specially if you're using public transport. Having your own car is safer tho.
>>
Years ago in Jamaica, I snapped a rasta. He got in my face about it. "Why you take my picture, mon? I and I. Can't catch it. Why you take my picture?" He followed me around, in and out of several shops. It was uncomfortable, but I never sensed any danger. I think his intent was to see if he could extract some cash from me for taking his picture.
>>
>>2792284
Hi Ted Covey. I recomend DXO film pack for your black and whites. Digital is too clean imho for B+W adding grain definitely helps
>>
>>2797616
>Digital is too clean imho for B+W adding grain definitely helps
Digital is not too anything. digital is nearly a blank canvas waiting for you to do whatever you want to it. Complaining that digital is too clean is like complaining that the omelette you made from scratch isn't spicy enough. If it's not there, it's not the food's fault, it's yours.
>>
File: 1457929124342.jpg (1 MB, 2738x1825) Image search: [Google]
1457929124342.jpg
1 MB, 2738x1825
>>2797629

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-Pro1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
PhotographerTed Covey
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)32 mm
Image Width2738
Image Height1825
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:03:20 22:48:40
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/1.0
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/1.0
Brightness0.4 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length21.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2738
Image Height1825
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2797629
>i can turn a piece of ham into a piece of beef if i pour enough spices on it!

lmaoooooooo digifags and their delusions.
>>
>>2797633
Digital isn't ham. Digital is the grocery store, where you can buy beef if you know what aisle to walk down.
>>
File: SOK_mortadela.jpg (33 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
SOK_mortadela.jpg
33 KB, 600x600
>>2797634

have fun spicing your mortadela into grade A beef loooool.
>>
>>2797646
>the same retarded comment a second time
Okay then:
Digital isn't moradela. Digital is the grocery store, where you can buy beef if you know what aisle to walk down.
>>
>>2797651

Your analogy is broken, homeslice.

Photography is the grocery store. Film is beef, digital is the produce section.
>>
>>2797651
>>2797653

yup. homie cant into analogy at all. his mind is cripple.

to make this more precise, film would be beef, and digital would be soy meat, which you can turn into "whatever you want", from cheese to sausage to hamburgers.

mfw digifags are the vegans of photography.
>>
>>2797658

That's more or less what I was getting at. You can make vaguely close approximations to beef with veggies, but it'll never fool anyone, and it'll never be the same. better to let the veggies be veggies and do their own wonderful thing.
>>
>>2793787
Please share!
>>
>day after Brussels attack
>my neighbourhood, which also happens to be the neighbourhood of the parliament, is guarded by policemen with SMGs
>take a picture of one of them
>he asks me very politely if I could delete the photograph because he doesn't want to appear anywhere on the net
That's pretty much the most negative reaction I've gotten ever. Street photography is really easy, you just have to make the first step.
>>
>shooting street ever

Is thia because you can't get a model? I have no time to shoot street because my time is already booked with girls wanting me to shoot them. You may have guts but you are not alpha.
>>
>>2800742

>yfw you wont trascend as someone that documented the quirks and deepness of human condition in an era of fast social changes, but as a peon for vain women to get them better quality selfies for instagram upvotes

whos the cuck now.
>>
>>2800742
>wanting to shoot filthy women
>not wanting to shoot dicks and butts instead
lmao, look at this pleb trying to get a photography job.
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.