[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seriously, why would anyone want to shoot film?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: film_vs_digital.jpg (72 KB, 640x349) Image search: [Google]
film_vs_digital.jpg
72 KB, 640x349
I already have an APSC camera from Nikon D7200.

I have some D lenses like the 50mm 1.8d, 85mm 1.8d, 20mm 2.8d.

Then I got an used Nikon F3.

I was expecting some omgfucking quality.

Bought Fuji Velvia 100 ISO film, then took some photos with all the lenses during daylight.

Paid for some company to develop the film. See photos and the quality is garbage. Nowhere near the huge dynamic range from Nikon D7200.

Also there is so much grain. Film is really disapointing.

Is Film a meme?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2010:10:16 15:38:08
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width640
Image Height349
>>
File: 19.jpg (270 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
19.jpg
270 KB, 1000x667
>>2792191
>Bought Fuji Velvia 100
neat
>>
>>2792191
Film looks good. Digital doesn't look as good.

Also it depends on how the film was scanned or printed.

Slide film is known for having a narrow dynamic range. Use print film if you want dynamic range. Black and white has the most I think.
>>
Go medium format or large format for image quality.
>>
>>2792191
Are you going to post the velvia? Is this it: >>2792198 ?
>>
File: national-history.jpg (342 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
national-history.jpg
342 KB, 800x800
>>2792191
>Bought itty-bitty frame camera
>Expects quality

It's like you brag about your small penis and people laughing at it. The best and forgiving thing to use with small format was kodachrome and it's already long gone.

Go 6x6 or larger (and pay for good scanner service) if your want superior medium/large format experience.
>>
>>2792191
>buys low dynamic range slide film
>expects huge dynamic range

Buy a roll of Portra 160, rate it at 125, take some nice portraits with your 85mm, have it developed and scanned by a reputable lab and then come back.

D lenses have terrible focus throw. You are probably missing focus. Get an AI/AI-S lens and use a split-prism focusing screen.
>>
You're using the wrong bait, my dude.
Try this next time:

Why the FUCK do faggots like you INSIST on shooting film. You're such a fucking disgusting hipster. Get with the fucking times you piece of shit hippy.

Shoot digital and if you really feel the fucking need to make your photos look even worse then you can make them look like shitty 19th century technology.

I wish film and people that still use it would die. You're wasting my air.
>>
>>2792229
>I wish film and people that still use it would die. You're wasting my air.

Every time I shoot a roll I'll think you and smile anon.
>>
>>2792235
I didn't write it, it's just some old ass pasta that I had saved for ages now.
>>
>>2792237
Pretty good pasta. I should use it some time.
>>
It's because you're not developing your own film and making your own prints.
>>
>>2792191

show the film photos, you fucking turd.
>>
File: 22110572.jpg (66 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
22110572.jpg
66 KB, 300x300
>>
> Is film a meme?

Yep. Film's a meme. Digital's a meme too. It's all a meme, and this is the beginning of your quest for the golden chalice of photo memes; The Daguerro Goblet. You are the only one who can endure this trial. Help us, anon, you're our only hope.
>>
>>2792208
>paying other people a bunch of money to scan your photos
>shooting black and white film but then not making wet prints yourself
>shooting film only to convert it to digital form
why?

Also arguing about what film format is the best or whether digital or film is better is absolutely fucking retarded, are you people not capable of making your own choices and being satisfied with them regardless of what a bunch of spergs online think?
>>
>>2792321
>are you people not capable of making your own choices and being satisfied with them regardless of what a bunch of spergs online think?
no
>>
File: memes.png (354 KB, 600x444) Image search: [Google]
memes.png
354 KB, 600x444
>>2792276
>>
The
>SHOOTFILM NOTPIXEL
fags are the worse

>Here's a shot of nature
>With my fashion victim friend who holds a worthless BA in LA and works a wage job in the city
>Here's a fucking barista making drip coffee
>*Emoji description*
>*Uses 20 #s to describe that the picture is indeed Film*

Reality all the 100 pictures are shit but they cherry pick one and put a spin on it trying to project it's an accumulation of some grand idea because it took days to develop and post when it reality its just a glorified snapshit

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelQSS-32_33
Camera SoftwareAperture 3.5
Image-Specific Properties:
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2013:08:12 14:58:16
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1500
Image Height994
>>
Film isn't compressed.
>>
>2792418
>*Uses 20 #s to describe that the picture is indeed Film*
I agree with your other points but if you aren't using as many good hashtags as you can you arent using instagram properly. Hashtags are almost the only way other users can find and see your photos.
>>
>>2792229
tippingintensifies.nef
>>
>Seriously, why would anyone want to shoot film?

Because it's fun.

/thread
>>
>>2792191
>Shot slide film
>expected good dynamic range
ya dun goofed OP.
slide film has good out of the box colors but terrible dynamic range. you need the exposure to be perfect for a good shot.

Try color negative film if you want good dynamic range, and always err on the side of overexposure, as it's pretty much impossible to blow highlights unless you're overexpose a metric fuckton. with digital you expose for the highlights and push the shadows, with neg film you expose for the shadows, as underexposure looks bad on film.
>>
>>2792208
someone post that other MF interior chapel picture. idk if it was a chappel but it was b&w and pretty fucking amazing.
>>
>baiting this hard

protip:if you want a troll thread, make something about m4/3
>>
>>2792321
>paying other people a bunch of money to scan your photos
I have an epson v600 scanner and assumed the op doesn't have a scanner therefore recommended him to pay other people.

>shooting black and white film but then not making wet prints yourself
I'm also have my own darkroom and doing wet printing regularly.

>shooting film only to convert it to digital form, why?
Because that's how you show the photos to the people in this board you bloody idiot.

>>2792542
Google natural history museum London, yeah it's one of the best interior building to shoot in London.
>>
>>2793222
>I have an epson v600 scanner

>5mp scans

>not scanning using a 24megapickle dslr for dat dere maximum resolution and color contrast
>>
>>2792258
I can't, I only developed the film. I don't have a scanner.

I see the photo using one vintage slide film viewer,
>>
>>2792475
>>2792475
oh snap
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.