[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Full frame focus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 22.jpg (3 MB, 4500x3000) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
3 MB, 4500x3000
How do I get the lens to focus on everything in the frame.

In this case, the label on the bottle of shitty wine.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern896
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:03:10 22:27:56
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating900
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Auto, Red-Eye Reduce, Return Detected
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypePortrait
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
Use a high F stop number Eg f18
>>
>>2790251

Thanks.
>>
>i want everything in focus
>but in this case, the label
>f/1.8
>>
>>2790249
f32
>>
>>2790251
And putting the focus at 1/3 of the distance between the wine and the subject
>>
>>2790251
>>2790249
>>2790253
>>2790274
Just remember that your image will be incresingly unsharp and bad as you increase fstop
>>
Reminder that increasing your fstop at all results in sharpness loss due to diffraction limiting, the Ultimate Constraint Of All Optical Systems

Reminder that subpixel diffraction losses compound exponentially so even if your dunning kruger pixel peeping thinks "i-it's still sharp" it is not.

Also note that

>fnumbers less than 1 are elite.
>f/1 - f1.2 is good
>f/1.4 is ok
>f/1.8 and higher is garbage.
>>
>>2790687
>>fnumbers less than 1 are elite.
>>f/1 - f1.2 is good
>>f/1.4 is ok
>>f/1.8 and higher is garbage.
stop spouting garbage you dumb hipster
>>
>>2790694
found a subhuman pleb shooting garbo fstops
>>
>>2790249
google "focus bracketing"
>>
>>2790682
>>2790687
stupid as fuck
yeah, everybody knows about diffraction limits.
Yet, they are irrelevant for the given subject matter other than a show off of a retard.
>>
>>2790687
Yeah so this is incorrect. Just wrong

You're not even on the right path
>>
>>2790694
being this autistic

>>2790249
op, jusy increase the f number on your lens to shoot. one the whole "cool" things about a wider aperture lens is getting that bokeh effect, blurring what is not in focus. no need to go all the way up to f18 like these idiots say, f9 ill probably do that alright in the example you provided
>>
>>2790249
also you look like a major faggot
>>
File: depth-of-field.jpg (27 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
depth-of-field.jpg
27 KB, 600x400
>>2790249

Read into Depth of Field to understand how in-focus areas work.

The diagram I have posted explains the concept pretty well. There are several things that can effect how deep your DOF is.

>Aperture
The aperture of your lens (expressed as f/x.x) determines how wide the iris opens. In this case your lens was open to f/1.8 (its widest) when you exposed the image (check graph to the left).

As you constrict the aperture light becomes more focused and the out-of-focus (OOF) areas come into sharp focus.

Message to take home? Narrowing your aperture (increasing f/ number) will give you more DOF. N.B you will lose light and have to compensate with ISO or Shutter.

>Focal Length
Focal length has a HUGE impact on DOF. Longer focal lengths (longer than 35mm) lead to very narrow DOF regardless of your f/ number. Shorter focal lengths lead to a wider DOF and therefore more in focus.

Your camera likely came with a kit zoom. Try recomposing this shot but this time use an 18mm setting on your kit lens. Note how the bkg changes in perspective and focus! These different levels of compression and perspective change make wide-angle lenses my favourite for creative work.

Integral to your focal length is your distance from the subject. Without getting too technical you could step back and refocus (increasing DOF). You could then crop in post and have more in focus.

>Composition
Oft-overlooked I would say composition has some bearing on your DOF. Not directly, but the composition can change how your DOF was perceived.

Take your photo for instance. It is my experience that an image with OOF in the foreground can look very distracting. One might omit the foreground altogether to try and make a more compelling or personal shot.

Similarly, if you arrange your subjects all along the same 'plane of focus' you will have an easier time keeping everything snappy.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.