[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what to do when your output is decent, but has been done before?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1335555198595.jpg (67 KB, 500x680) Image search: [Google]
1335555198595.jpg
67 KB, 500x680
what to do when your output is decent, but has been done before?
>>
Not worry about it, because originality is overrated.
>>
>>2785911
it doesn't matter who did it first, it matters who did it best
>>
>>2785917

i started as a faggot contemporary photog, aping the germans and stuff like that. then i became tired of the shallowness and went back to a more classical aproach, which i feel more genuine. but colleages around are still doing the nth deadpan portrait in pale tones, bringing "current issues" to the table.

and i just want to make good photos.
>>
You can never take that good photos about stuff you dont care about.
Somebody who actually cares about it will do it better.

Just go underground and make something new. All or nothing.
You either create the next cool thing or its shit and you wasted a huge amount of effort.
But at least you werent just another boring clone.
>>
I think the more we dive into the photography, the more we realize the connection our pictures have with our own perception of the world.

Maybe your view of the world needs to expand, maybe you need to change the way you express your viewpoint with photographs, maybe both.

Going to museums and reading about artworks (new or old) will give you lots of ideas to build off of. There's always that one artist/artwork that has an approach you find fascinating, and that will open you up to more possibilities.

But if you go to a museum and look at an artwork and think "why didn't I think of that?" you won't get anywhere. If you get too self-absorbed like that, it closes you off. It's demotivating.

If you restlessly seek inspiration, maybe you'll find it eventually, but it'll be hell. You need to be patient and take it slow.
>>
originality, or anything, for its own sake is dumb as shit
>>
>>2785937
I'd also say that there's nothing wrong with doing what's been done before. If you go to a museum and see an artwork and think "I'm going to do that", that's okay. In fact, since you are not the artist who made the artwork that just inspired you, it will be impossible to make the same exact artwork; it will have your own twist on it. Even more so if you realize: "I like what this artist did, I'll do it too, but with a different purpose or reason".
>>
Well then if you've gotten decent it means that hopefully you can finally branch out and either have a new idea or combine existing ideas in a new way to push your photography in a direction that hasn't been done before. Now that you're good technically you could be in a position to do that successfully because you have the technical ability to be able to express what you want in a competent manner.

Or you could just stop worrying about it and shoot what you want and what makes you happy because everything has already been done before and originality doesn't exist or doesn't matter.
>>
>>2785972

theres heaps of original things to do. 99% of people are just so deeply ingrained to follow the herd they just cannot stop copying and think of an idea themselves.
>>
Name?
>>
>>2785911
Not decent enough to post any of it?
Why would you use a painting, which you didn't make, as the OP on a photography board?
>>
>>2785917
This desu senpai

Been there done that, killed my inspiration and ended up basically quitting for a few years.

Art can be terrible at times.
>>
>>2785919
show examples of what you're talking about. your descriptions are too vague
>>
>>2786009
>>2786192

im not posting my shit, i was asking you all what was your stance or opinion in the matter.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.