[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DSLR FILM Scanning. Show me your rigs. I've been having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12
DSLR FILM Scanning.
Show me your rigs. I've been having trouble getting soft even light. Can I see your setup? I'm going to have to scan some 120 film soon. any advice?
>>
File: DSLRScanning.jpg (455 KB, 2138x795) Image search: [Google]
DSLRScanning.jpg
455 KB, 2138x795
>>2783524

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelGR
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:10:28 08:08:19
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness1.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.30 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2138
Image Height795
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: DSC01834.jpg (438 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
DSC01834.jpg
438 KB, 1000x667
DSLR meh

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:03:04 08:01:20
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating500
Brightness-1.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCloudy Weather
Focal Length0.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2783524
Why don't you show us YOUR setup, so we can tell you why you fucked up. I shoot a flash straight through 3 layers of white parchment paper in a box lined with aluminium foil on the wide setting.
>>
>>2783524
In the last thread some people said you could just use your phone/tablet as a light source.
>>
>>2784835
Yes you can - but it's a terrible solution (quality wise). You'll always see the pixels of the LCD in the scans.
>>
>>2784886
Part of the trick there is to use a diffusion material in between that's a little distance away.
>>
I use a Sony A7Rii to scan my film, it has more than enough resolving power to capture the low-fi negatives. I got a tracing lightbox off amazon to light the film.

http://www.amazon.com/Huion-Drawing-Tracing-Translucent-Multifunction/dp/B00S6FEE3A/ref=pd_sbs_201_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31FFX4qzQrL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1060R385WQEGQWY8V50H

link related. It's pretty affordable. Most of the work is done by my A7Rii, such a beast of a camera. Film is just a quirky indulgence i have.

If the A7Rii could do low-fi i would throw away all my film gear, next best thing i have is bumping up the iso to extreme levels to achieve grain at night.
>>
>>2784835
>>2784886
>>2784889

or maybe just using a fucking flatbed?
>>
I have what's required to digitize. A lens/extension tube, a spare fame to hold negs, a tripod, a lightpad but what I don't have is the space or time required to deal with setting up a rig just to scan some film.
In the time it takes to setup, I could scan 12 frames of 135. That's half a roll of 24 or 1/3 of 36. Add in the time for PP and DSLR scans are only worth it when I need something in a bit better quality.

>>2784901
le shatbed quality meme xD
>>
>>2784886
You shouldn't place your film directly on the screen, obviously...
>>
>>2784900
Can you post some samples?
>>
>>2784379
>keks audibly
Wow, I didn't realise those deprecated hunks of shit were the size of a fucking microwave.
Protip: Sell your leica and all of that 90s consumer electronics garbage, buy a Japanese SLR with a 50mm, and a rabal with a macro lense, and enjoy the leap in IQ, as well as the beer you buy with all the money left over.
>>
File: 58700090.jpg (156 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
58700090.jpg
156 KB, 500x378
>>2784992
>>
>>2784992
>>2785073
Why don't you guys post samples of your scans instead? :¬)
>>
File: 550d.jpg (36 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
550d.jpg
36 KB, 770x433
Can I use my aging rebel to scan medium format negatives? I'd rather not have to stitch multiple pictures because it's for the web.
>>
File: fullres.jpg (3 MB, 4319x2879) Image search: [Google]
fullres.jpg
3 MB, 4319x2879
here's a full res 35mm portra 400 scan from my digicam scanning setup
>>
>>2787455
setup is an x-e1 with nikon macro lens and extension tube attached to the bellows of an old enlarger head. negative is held with the standard negative tray, light source is the diffusion head
>>
File: Reala220001-2.jpg (105 KB, 545x800) Image search: [Google]
Reala220001-2.jpg
105 KB, 545x800
>>2785602
Of course you can.
Just make sure you use a high quality macro lense.
Only you can decide if the 18MP resolution is sufficient for you.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 550D
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.6
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Comment
ProjectionRectilinear (0)
FOV11 x 8
Ev13.45
>>
File: ektar.jpg (3 MB, 4395x2906) Image search: [Google]
ektar.jpg
3 MB, 4395x2906
>>2787455
>>2787467
ektar using the same setup
>>
File: file.jpg (4 MB, 2792x3073) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
4 MB, 2792x3073

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.3 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:03:08 00:59:36
Exposure Time1/3 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating50
Brightness-2.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceTungsten
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: file.jpg (4 MB, 3073x2842) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
4 MB, 3073x2842
>>2789625
My beast

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7
Image Created2016:03:08 00:58:07
Exposure Time1/5 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating50
Brightness-2.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceTungsten
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: file.jpg (3 MB, 3141x2843) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
3 MB, 3141x2843
>>2789626

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7
Image Created2016:03:08 01:01:59
Exposure Time1/3 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating50
Brightness-3.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceTungsten
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
Why. For the extra edge?

Why not just
take a picture
with your DLSR
>>
>>2789625
>>2789626
>>2789628
You should consider not using paper as a light diffuser for your scans. I can see the fibre of the paper through the negative. Either use a strobe or a lightbox

>>2789629
Because it's convenient. People who shoot film also shoot with a DSLR, so instead of buying a dedicated scanner they use equipment that already have.

Shooting film is fun, maybe you should try it anon
>>
>>2789642
>Because it's convenient.
Not nearly as convenient as just having taken the photo on that same DSLR.
>>
>>2789643
They shoot film because they want to shoot film. Not just because they want to take pictures. You can do both anon.
>>
>>2789661
I didn't say that wasn't the case, merely pointing out an issue with the stated reason. If you're making decisions based on convenience, you end up with a DSLR in your hand.
>>
>>2789663
He was talking about convenience of using a camera you already own to scan the film and not having to buy even more expensive equipment. Not convenience in taking pictures period.
>>
File: DSC01558.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
DSC01558.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1000
>>2789629
for one digital still can't hold a candle to B&W film, even the Leica Monochrome has a completely different look to B&W film.

film produces a different colour, I find Portra 160 to be much softer and natural to a lot of what comes out of digital cameras. the foveon is the only thing that comes close to producing a film like colour.

thirdly for the look of different formats, most digital cameras are small format m34, APSc and even 35mm are all small format, film medium format can be had and shot relatively cheap, even my entire 4x5 setup cost less than a Rebel kit (film is another story)

a lot of the film properties carry over in the process of scanning in a way that is not easy to reproduce when shot solely digital.

personally I contact print and then scan either with a flat bed or camera because it maintains more of that film look.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Macintosh
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:01:21 14:22:06
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Brightness-3.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceOther
Focal Length0.00 mm
Image Width1500
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2789732
>for one digital still can't hold a candle to B&W film, even the Leica Monochrome has a completely different look to B&W film.
>film produces a different colour, I find Portra 160 to be much softer and natural to a lot of what comes out of digital cameras. the foveon is the only thing that comes close to producing a film like colour.
I know nothing about post processing: the post
>>
>>2789732
>film produces a different colour, I find Portra 160 to be much softer and natural to a lot of what comes out of digital cameras. the foveon is the only thing that comes close to producing a film like colour.
>a lot of the film properties carry over in the process of scanning in a way that is not easy to reproduce when shot solely digital.
the whole dynamic range thing isn't even remotely true anymore. as for colors, digital raw files are meant to be edited, and if "film like" colors are what you want to achieve with digital, it's not too complicated to do so.

the only real advantage that film still has is b&w printing, but that's only because of silver gelatine papers. it's much cheaper to shoot digital, edit your files to your liking and make digital negatives to contact print than to keep an all analogue workflow, and the same results are achievable.
I actually do shoot film occasionally, but I've moved past trying to justify its superiority over digital. I just do it because it's fun, you should too.
>>
>>2789732
Go take a photo on film, and next to that camera, set D750, and take a well exposed photo of the exact same scene in the exact same light. Post both here, and give me 15 minutes, and I'll hand you a digital photo that has the same colors, same tones, and better detail than you film shot.
>>
>>2789998
>and take a well exposed photo of the exact same scene in the exact same light.
How about if we took two photos with the same exposure?
>>
>>2790009
Because that's not how a digital workflow works and you know it.
>>
>>2790009
Why would that prove anything? If you want digital to look like film, you have to shoot it correctly. Is that somehow an inconvenience to you? Nobody is saying that digital works like film. It's exactly the opposite. Film isn't flexible. Digital can do whatever you need it to do, if you use it correctly. Removing "use it correctly" takes away its capabilities, and leads to film fags not knowing how to do one of the more important aspects of photography, and blaming their equipment.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.