[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Manual focusing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
I had the opportunity to get two old lenses, a 50mm 1.4 Zeiss planar and a 35mm 1.4 distagon, I mostly do videos but I also like to fuck around with photos, mostly street photography kind of stuff

Do you have any good tips to not get out of focus images all the time when you want to stay below f5.6 and you're shooting strangers that may not be very happy about your hobby? Are experienced photographers and focus pullers from the past able to detect the right distance/position "instinctively" without even looking at the viewfinder? I know it's written on the fucking ring but it seems very difficult to do it using only my eyes. I wonder if there are laser systems that tell you the right distance lol.
I suppose the average reply will be "get gud" but maybe there is something helpful that I don't know.
>>
>>2778461

What camera are you using?
>>
>>2778461
Great lenses, OP. First focus your lens, then record the video. If your camera has no EVF, a camera LCD hood would be helpful.
>>
>>2778468
I have a t2i/550d and I very recently bought an a7s, so both digital, but I was also interested in how people with analog cameras cope with this problem.

>>2778471
Thanks, the 35mm is heavy as fuck though, I'll probably end up selling it for something more practical. I don't have big problems with focusing while taking videos because I usually know where I'm going with the camera during the shot and I still can fix it while recording (also follow focus helps a lot), but taking photos of moving subjects in focus is a lot harder. My camera does have an EVF and it helps a lot. The LCD helps too because it can be moved on the horizontal plane and it makes everything more "stealthy".

Yeah the fact that I'm a bit shy doesn't help at all. For some reason walking around with a shoulder rig and an actor in front of other people is not a problem but taking random photos makes me fucking nervous and I end up not taking enough time for focusing, I suppose it's because I'm not confident enough with stills
>>
>>2778461
What is this picture about.
>>
>>2778509
omg dude do you even science? It's obviously a rare photograph of a treefish.

Honestly I don't know what the fuck is going on in this picture, the interesting story behind is that it was the profile picture of a random woman in one of those dating apps like Tinder. I created the thread with my smartphone and it was the most interesting subject I had available for upload.
>>
>>2778514
A bird probably picked it up, took it to the tree for safe eating them got distracted or something.
>>
>>2778487
>I was also interested in how people with analog cameras cope with this problem
OVF's were generally pretty good on analog cameras (at least the cameras I own anyway). A nice big, bright viewfinder is the best way.
If you're shooting with a wide aperture, you're always going to miss some shots, always try taking 2-3 shots if you're not confident in your focusing.
>>
>>2778487
The A7 should have no problem.

For the DSLR, you'll need a split-ring focusing screen like they use in the film cameras.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-45-Split-image-Focus-Focusing-Screen-For-Canon-450D-500D-550D-600D-650D-/281087759439?hash=item417222d44f:g:qNUAAOxyY3ZRpHEP
The shit in the Canons now only show you the AF points and you can hardly gauge the focus at all.

Use an online guide on how to replace the screen. Wear a latex glove on the hand you use to handle the screens. Be careful to note which way the screen came out and try not to let the copper shims fall out with it. Everything in the assembly has only one way it will go in.

I've found the distance gauge on all of my manual lenses to be a very rough approximation, or I'm bad at distance. I'm going to set up a test chart and a tape measure soon to see if it's just me.

Most "street" photographers set the aperture to f/8 anyway OP.
If you want to go below that, you need to think of the shot a while before it appears, set your camera to AV mode and keep your eye to the viewfinder during the entire process without thinking of how the other party might feel or use live view, I know how vulnerable you can feel being boxed into a viewfinder.

As for being a "focus puller," you need to get a lot of hands on experience with a particular lens and it will help to see if the distance scale is accurate so you can use it as you get better at judging distance.

If you still feel that you lack confidence, you should try carrying a knife or a gun if you can.
It may sound silly, but they certainly do boost your confidence and you will be very grateful if you ever had to use either in a self defense situation. You should already be carrying a knife anyway for its utility purposes. I OC a knife and it tends to calm most people down before they speak to me.

You should totally give that lens to me.
On a serous note, you really should play with it more, you may come to like it.
cont
>>
>>2778551
how heavy can it be when you're used to carrying around a 3CCD camera or somethigng of equivalent size?
>>
>>2778551
>I've found the distance gauge on all of my manual lenses to be a very rough approximation,
They're not accurate. You'll need Cine lenses for that.
>>
>>2778554

I figured that.
>>
File: AB023-2 (Custom).jpg (362 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
AB023-2 (Custom).jpg
362 KB, 1000x666
>>2778461
Meny lenses have a focusing scale. They are pretty accurate unless an adapter is used.

1. If you are able to, imagine a rectangle that covers your lens's field of view and use it to frame and compose mentally.

2. If you know how far away your subject is, or about where the subject WILL be when he or she enters the scene or composition you want, set the lens to that distance. Do this without raising the camera to your face.

3. When the subject enters the scene or does something you want to photograph, raise the camera to your eye, and take the picture in one motion.

If you consistently use a certain lens, get to know its field of view and learn to visualize the framelines.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.3 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2014:08:29 14:43:49
>>
>>2778514
Dude it's obviously a statement by the woman who is the bird and the fish which represents the men on the dating app
>>
>>2778552
>tfw MF rig is 3.4kg
I'm terrified I'll drop it all the time.
>>
>>2778586

no you arent. no one is terrified by dropping an anvil, because it most likely shatter the floor, but not the anvil itself. you never go out, dont lie.
>>
>>2778461

when shooting with a tele i've actually used a rangefinder to guess subject distance and then do the calcs.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.