[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm shooting some events soon and I need to get a speedlight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: imx1485.jpg (351 KB, 800x530) Image search: [Google]
imx1485.jpg
351 KB, 800x530
I'm shooting some events soon and I need to get a speedlight for on-camera. I have two questions about accessories:

1. I'm thinking I probably need some kind of modifier. I've seen miniature softboxes and beauty dishes that fit on an on-camera speedlight. What modifier would you recommend for event photography?

2. Do I need a flash bracket? I don't mind spending the extra money if it makes a big difference, but I don't want to get something I don't really need.

pic related is a bit large and excessive but you get the idea. I'll be moving around a lot, taking red carpet style photos, banquet photos, and possibly some party photos. I want to do it right.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1 (Windows)
PhotographerK. Vaugier
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern802
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2012:07:23 19:10:34
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating125
Lens Aperturef/6.3
Exposure Bias-1/3 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Return Detected
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2769009
Generally, anything large enough to make much of a difference is going to be too big to carry without looking stupid. A flash bracket will bring the light closer to the lens, which will minimize the look of shadows, since the flash is pretty much on-axis.
>>
>>2769032
I was under the impression that a bracket moves the flash further from the lens.
>>
>>2770799
You were under the right impression. A bracket is nice to have but they can be a little large and unwieldy. They do come in handy to reorient the camera to portrait shooting and still have the flash above the camera. If you can find a good lightweight one with a small profile go for it. I wouldn't worry too much about modifiers, maybe a diffuser that goes over the flash head of some kind if it makes you feel better.
>>
File: Sto-Fen-Omnibounce.jpg (12 KB, 400x297) Image search: [Google]
Sto-Fen-Omnibounce.jpg
12 KB, 400x297
>>2769009
This is the only type of modifier that actually works for on-camera flash.

It's called an "omnibounce", or somewimes a "sto-fen".
It works by illuminating the ceiling, walls or other large objects in the room, which in turn illuminate the subject.
So it's completely useless in open spaces.

Like >>2769032 pointed out anything big enough for direct illumination won't fit on your camera.
The one in your picture for example is still "tiny" for anything but closeups.
>>
File: gary fong coll-2.jpg (119 KB, 606x450) Image search: [Google]
gary fong coll-2.jpg
119 KB, 606x450
>>2770835
I find that the Fong Lightsphere works very well too, but when you think about it it's essentially a giant Sto-Fen.

I've had quite good luck with mine outside too, it's great for gentle fill flash.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Created2012:03:06 15:07:18
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width606
Image Height450
>>
File: 5631130130_f638340031_b.jpg (225 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
5631130130_f638340031_b.jpg
225 KB, 1024x683
>>2770799
>>2770819
I suppose it depends on the bracket. When I google for photos to make you both look dumb, I find all of the photos are big complex brackets that do in fact move the flash further away, however, in my mind, I was imagining the type of bracket that I use, which does in fact move the flash a lot closer (pic related). My mistake.
>>
File: bounce4.gif (8 KB, 393x173) Image search: [Google]
bounce4.gif
8 KB, 393x173
>>2770836
There is basically no difference between them.

The Sto-fen is a little more directional, which is actually an advantage in most cases.
And it's nice and compact.
>>
>>2770838
The big difference comes when you use it without the top. I've actually tested bare flash vs. Sto-Fen vs. Lightsphere back to back, and the lightsphere's fill light is a bit nicer while still kicking a lot of light off the ceiling. It's especially noticeable when shooting vertical, because the Sto-Fen is so narrow when "sideways" while the Fong stays the same size.
>>
>>2770839
>Sto-Fen is so narrow when "sideways" while the Fong stays the same size.

They are both so tiny it makes no difference whatsoever.
Both are essentially single points of lights.
>>
>>2770839
Oh, and to add to this, WITH the top it also works like a mini-softbox if you point it directly at the subject when shooting outside in harsh light. It's not something you'd use for real fashion shoots or anything, but it's a big help when doing event coverage or sports portraits.
>>
>>2770842
Again, still way too small to make a difference.
>>
So basically anything other than bare-bulb modifiers (like a sto-fen) used in conjunction with bounce is useless?
>>
>>2770846
yes
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.