[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /p/ went to photograph and event yesterday with my 35mm 1.8g
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: 1439873108005.jpg (648 KB, 1280x1912) Image search: [Google]
1439873108005.jpg
648 KB, 1280x1912
Hey /p/ went to photograph and event yesterday with my 35mm 1.8g DX and a D7100 and noticed that almost all of my pictures are "back focused".

Thankfully I managed to salvage some pictures and I'm able to live through another day

Problem is that I'm afraid that this happened again. I've never had this problem with a different lens with my camera, just yesterday with the 35mm. What can I do to fix it?
>>
By selling your shit and buying a Sony a7II with a 35mm Zeiss lens. But seriously use the micro adjustment feature on your camera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqhH2ELuCaE that should fix it.
>>
File: 1455058230086.jpg (31 KB, 451x392) Image search: [Google]
1455058230086.jpg
31 KB, 451x392
Reminder not to listen to mirrorless memers

>muh high end body
>muh sensor

>drop almost 5 figures on a body and lens
>it can't and never will be able to propertly shoot high end photography (action/sports/wildlife)
>>
>>2768315

>high end photography
>sports/wildlife

haha no
>>
>>2768324
>Has the most professionals shooting it (Sports Illustrated, National Geographic, etc)
>Hardest to shoot by far.
>Requires the most expensive gear to be able to get many shots - but that isn't enough
>Even the most seasoned photographers have their skills and dexterity pushed to their limit trying to capture high quality images of subject.
>Creates the most valued images in all of photography
>>
>>2768309
thanks, m88
>>
>>2768327
> Has the most professionals shooting it (Sports Illustrated, National Geographic, etc)
What is product photography?
> Hardest to shoot by far.
Good thing you have an A6300 or A7R II or something nice like that? Not that high-end DSLR won't do the job.
> Requires the most expensive gear to be able to get many shots - but that isn't enough
you know, if you do fashion product shots, your goddamn reflector umbrella can be $8k a piece (broncolor para 222 - yes, quite a few actually use this). Never mind all the other gear.
>Even the most seasoned photographers have their skills and dexterity pushed to their limit trying to capture high quality images of subject.
Skills? For Sports/Wildlife? Not really. Seriously, you just stand there and shoot away. Many publications would even take goddamn cropped video (from a TV camera or you) as long as it's of the right moment.
>Creates the most valued images in all of photography
Nope, again, most money is in product shots of various kinds, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>2768301
Prepare and review test shots on a better screen prior to the event. If your camera is only average at low light like a D7100 is, you best also test out speedlight settings and stuff across the location.

Tethered WLAN capture to a laptop or smartphone can help a good deal with speeding this part up a little.
>>
File: 1439156204353.jpg (214 KB, 1000x670) Image search: [Google]
1439156204353.jpg
214 KB, 1000x670
>>2768309

I've auto-tuned the focus and I had to put it into -16 (of a maximum of 20) do you think my lens has some defect or things are just like that?
>>
wtf

i've seen
>>2768301
thousands of times

i've never, ever EVER seen
>>2768363
>>
>>2768327
>Has the most professionals shooting it
Weddings and portraits blow sports and wildlife away with the force of a 1000 suns.
>>
>>2768363
Who knows?

As long as you can still compensate, just go with it. If you can't anymore, it's time to replace or service the respective part.
>>
>>2768363
You fucking retard, you didn't set up a ruler at 45 degrees and fucking test it, did you? You just fucking started changing shit.

Goddamn idiots.
>>
>>2768372
>you didn't set up a ruler at 45 degrees and fucking test it, did you?

Tripod, Autofocus Test Sheet downloaded from somewhere and tethered shooting.

What was I supposed to do?
>>
>>2768383
>set up a ruler at 45 degrees
>>
>>2768384
the test sheet was at 45 degrees.
>>
>>2768364
any others of her? damn
>>
>>2768301
On my D7k I go to:
>menu
>setup
>AF fine tune
Take some test photos and adjust as needed, it's pretty straightforward. You'll have to do it for every lens you own.
>>
File: Datacolor-SpyderLensCal.jpg (39 KB, 400x485) Image search: [Google]
Datacolor-SpyderLensCal.jpg
39 KB, 400x485
>>2768386
You mean the target? The target should be straight up and down, so you know that your camera is claiming to be focused on the exact point. If the target is at 45%, you don't know where the focus is happening, so you can't know how far off the correct point is.
>>
You can just use your fucking eyeballs and a ruler. This is really not that hard. I've done it with like 15 different lenses on two different D7ks
>>
>>2768431
>>2768416

In general these lenses get around what number of correction (-1, -2, +5, etc.)??
>>
anon - "hi /p/, I'm having issues with my focus"

/p/ - *mirrorless vs SLR tribal ingroup/outgroup fighting*
>>
>>2768363
Booty
>>
>>2768364
>>2768394

https://fgts.jp/r/thread/13757966/

only thing I could find
>>
it may just be a mechanical malfunction in your camera. i had the same problem with my D2x, and it turned out to just be a piece that got loose. once i put it back in my photos got a lot better. if you're shooting on automatic focus, then just trust your camera.
>>
File: 1438894801796.jpg (556 KB, 1280x1912) Image search: [Google]
1438894801796.jpg
556 KB, 1280x1912
Ran a couple of other tests and all of them indicate that I should rev up the fine tuning to minus sixteen (-16). Is this amount normal?
>>
I am having huge trust issues while using amateur cameras. I can never ask money for my work if I use one.

Had Nikon d7000 (still have it and use it for time lapse and product photography. Love that camera).

Used it as backup camera in one event. Main body was Nikon D3s with 300mm lens and wanted to test amatuer camera on the field. And didn't wanted to switch lenses. A lot of pictures where with af issues (used it with 17-55 f2.8 and don't remember other lens. Not worth remembering). And will never ever do it again. Better lose some shots while switching lenses but you will be sure that they are sharp.

I advise to rent for event some camera (still use Nikon D700 a lot - cheapest in local camera rental) and you will be able to trust yourself and will deliver results not excuses.
>>
>>2771125
pls
respond
>>
>>2768301
Is it consistent backfocus or focus overtravel? Just set the focus fine tune if it is consistent or don't shoot wide open, close it down to f/2.8. A bit of noise is much better than missed focus.
>>
>>2771311
consistent backfocus, even with the aperture at 3.5.

I did the fine tuning and it starts to get the focus right at - 16. problem is that I think thats too much for such a new lens.
>>
>>2768315
...not to speak of the fact that the Sony DSLMs are shit when it comes to focusing.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.