[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /p/ think? What makes a great photo of the streets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: 100_0893.jpg (2 MB, 3664x2748) Image search: [Google]
100_0893.jpg
2 MB, 3664x2748
What does /p/ think?

What makes a great photo of the streets? Where the full frame is the subject. How do you make it great?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeEASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
Camera ModelKODAK EASYSHARE M1063 DIGITAL CAMERA
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)32 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution480 dpi
Vertical Resolution480 dpi
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating64
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length5.70 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3664
Image Height2748
Exposure Index64
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
well not blowing the sky nuclear would be a good start
>>
>>2766895
Its not my picture though. I'm just looking for general guidelines
>>
File: EgWxIRf.gif (949 KB, 150x200) Image search: [Google]
EgWxIRf.gif
949 KB, 150x200
>>2766894
>>2766896

>If you can smell the street by looking at the photo, it’s a street photograph.- Bruce Gilden

What that means senpai, get fucken close to interesting subjects.
>Street stalls selling shit?
That's a picture.
>old Lady falling over?
That would also be a picture.
>Some dick head flopping it out to fap?
That is what some might say is fucked but still a picture.
>>
>>2766897
I do not mean street photography, where you photograph WHAT is happening ON the street. I mean an actual street where you want to photograph the street itself, maybe without anyone around. You just want to take the picture of what a certain city looks like.
>>
>>2766895
The sky doesn't matter, and exposing the sky correctly at the expense of the correct exposure of your actual subject is retarded.
>>
>>2766932
Point camera down, click.
>>
>>2766932
Don't you realize this is entirely subjective to any person, or any street? A street in New York, even when empty, might have more character than a street in some bumfuck village in the rural Netherlands.

Even if the NY street is empty, you know it's an empty street which soon will be hustling and busting, or it's an otherwise peaceful street in a huge metropolis. In the case of NY, things that will point to it being NY might be a hotdog stand, a metro entrance/exit or something like that. Even then, you can't really tell it's NY and not some other big American city.

You say photographing WHAT is happening ON the street. Well, usually this happens when people ARE around, when things ARE happening. So really you need to photograph THOSE particular things, with the street and the city in the larger area of the frame. The subject is what is happening on the street, and the surrounding area of the photo is the city, which gives more meaning to the subject. Together they complement each other. The subject could be anywhere, in any city, but in this example, he is in this particular city. This itself gives more meaning to the city because the city plays host to these subjects doing these particular things. Another city in another photo with a similar subject in a similar street would probably look slightly different with a different feel.

So, like a crazy street artist + backdrop of Times Square for example.
>>
>>2766946
If you want to photograph the street itself without people, just remember that people give character to their surroundings. But even without them in the photo, their presence is felt through the architecture or the choice of shops or something, which cater to certain people (high class in 5th avenue, hipster/vegan/whatever in Williamsburg. To me personally, a city is made up of not only it's shops, streets, buildings or whatever, but also the people who give the city character through the events, restaurants and shops which cater to them. So even without them in the photo, they are still there. Even if you want to photograph an empty street in a pictoresque village in rural Germany for example, you will still feel the presence or lack of presence of the people who walk those streets or inhabit those houses.

That is the essence you should capture.

It's like taking a photo of the empty streets of Pompeii versus the empty streets of a contemporary city still asleep. All the markers which give Pompeii character are long gone, but they are still visible and felt in the photo of a contemporary city.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.