[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got to play with an Olympus PEN-F yesterday. What a piece
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
I got to play with an Olympus PEN-F yesterday.
What a piece of shit!
Fuji makes a better retro camera
Sony makes a better video / mirrorless camera
Panasonic makes a better m43 camera
why would anyone pay money for this crap?
>>
oh yeah, the frame rate / lag in the finder is so slow, it is completely useless
>>
File: gorilla-rustle-4.jpg (129 KB, 630x446) Image search: [Google]
gorilla-rustle-4.jpg
129 KB, 630x446
>>2766715
This is like the 3rd thread about this shit.
Did Fuji/Sony/Panasonicfags get their jimmies seriously rustled by this camera or something?
>>
>>2766848
No idea. This camera is pretty niche and i have no idea why people are going against it so much.
>>
>>2766715
>why would anyone pay money for this crap?
Because your opinions are not universal truth? They're, y'know, your opinions.
>>
Was the original Pen meant to be a professional camera or just a nice compact camera for enthusiasts?
>>
File: Olympus_Pen_FT_5988.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1973) Image search: [Google]
Olympus_Pen_FT_5988.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1973
>>2766858
The latter obviously. And it was quite expensive and with a lot of drawbacks compared to "real" SLRs, but the styling was enough to compensate. So basically the same as the new Pen F (except the old one looked much cleaner)

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Windows
PhotographerAshley Pomeroy
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2014:11:22 16:01:44
Exposure Time30 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length75.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width3000
Image Height1973
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: pop_pen_pen-s.jpg (59 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
pop_pen_pen-s.jpg
59 KB, 480x360
>>2766715
I'll post this again

The only Olympus Pens worth buying are the film ones
>half frames baby! 72 exposures baby!
>dat dere small body
>rotary focal-plane shutter
>fully manual, batteries? not even once!
>designed by Yoshihisa Maitani
>>
>>2766990
Only F-series had rotary focal plane shutters. The rest (including Pen S) were fixed-lens compacts with regular leaf shutters, and often with cancerous selenium meters.
>>
>>2766868
it would have been interesting had lolimpus placed the sensor portrait like the film pen-f
>>
>>2766990
>rotary focal-plane shutter
Why is this good for a still photo camera
>>
File: pen is.png (363 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
pen is.png
363 KB, 640x360
>>2766715
>>
>>2767276
On digital, that would be dumb because it would waste 50% of screen space in live view. Despite the retro wankery, lolympus is trying to make a usable camera, not retro wankery for the sake of retro wankery.

>>2767278
It allowed flash sync at any speed up to 1/500, back when standard linear shutters were typically capable of 1/60s.
The main problem with rotary shutters is the size and inertia of the disc, so they were never used on full-frame 35mm cameras.
>>
>>2767478
>that would be dumb because it would waste 50% of screen space in live view

but having a camera frame that is oriented differently would have it's own benefits. It would change the way the shooter thinks about the frame by placing the default orientation in portrait and making them when and why to switch to landscape.

probably pointless on such a small sensor with shit DOF, but a dedicated portrait FF could be neat.

>lolympus is trying to make a usable camera, not retro wankery for the sake of retro wankery.

if that were the case they could have made it more usable. the front dial is just for instagram effects and can't be assigned to any other function. buttons and dials litter the top and back in a clusterfuck that only the engineers of the nikon df would think is clean.
At it's price it offers absolutely nothing over the competition
>>
>>2767557
Vertical framing is such a fundamental change that you'd have to redesign the entire camera around it. Viewfinder, screen, controls and so on. Don't forget that some lenses have baffles on the rear, so you'd have to rotate the mount 90 degrees as well. All in all, too complicated for something so niche.
The original Pens had vertical framing not because of any artistic consideration, but simply because there was no other way to fit half-frames on a 35mm roll.

>buttons and dials litter the top and back in a clusterfuck
The control layout, with the exception of the useless front dial, is something that was near-universally praised in the reviews I've skimmed through.

>At it's price it offers absolutely nothing over the competition
Functionally it doesn't, but it's not like /p/ isn't full of suckers for style and build quality. Some might even say that it changes the way the shooter thinks.
>>
>>2766715
Are the PENs really that bad? Or is this all subject to opinions?
>>2767440
How serious does /p/ take him?
>>
>>2767921
https://youtu.be/WqmMrp-pVp4
>>
>>2767923
>that con AF
Fuck man, thanks. Was looking at the Pen series, not this particular model but it's given me a better understanding of common problems.
>>
File: PenIs4.jpg (310 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
PenIs4.jpg
310 KB, 1600x900
>>
>>2767921
>Are the PENs really that bad?

They're not, /p/ can talk shit about absolutely anything. But you have to mind the limitations like shit C-AF and shit video.
>>
>>2767923
>when Olympus approached us with the new Pen-F unit, we specifically requested that it was a production unit that the user at home would have access to. Olympus assured us that they had a production, reviewable copy of the Pen-F, so we told them to ship us the camera which is featured in this episode.
>After the episode was posted, Olympus contacted us to state that the camera we tested was indeed not final firmware. This apparently led to our issues with the continuous AF performance. This was their mistake, as we requested and were assured a production-level camera with final firmware.
>The good news is that Olympus says some of the issues we found are resolved in their final firmware.
>>
>>2767952
Might be just an excuse, banking on those guys not re-reviewing a real production model.
I've got an E-P5 and C-AF is pretty shit (maybe not as bad as that video shows, but trying to shoot kids running around is a huge PITA)
>>
>>2767952
I will trust the people using and reviewing the camera over the company who will be trying to sell it, but it's a cool looking camera, so I hope it's true.
>>
>>2767957
>>2767960
>We are excited to retest this camera when it is available in a final production version.
>>
File: P1040250.jpg (870 KB, 1500x1126) Image search: [Google]
P1040250.jpg
870 KB, 1500x1126
>>2767923
Shame about the autofocus, bad touch controls, and poor video. It's good looking but there is tons of competition. They're right about the GX8, with the price drop on the gx8 the pen f is in a tough spot.

I don't know about you guys but the GX8 is a pretty sexy camera, might not be as sexy as the GX7 with the revision 20mm panny but it looks clean and pulls off the range finder look rather well.

Pic related, my GX8. Waiting on the 15mm Leica Panasonic lens which might make it look even better.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-GX7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)40 mm
Horizontal Resolution600 dpi
Vertical Resolution600 dpi
Image Created2016:02:13 19:10:15
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/1.7
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/1.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length20.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2767921
yes, yes they are that bad
>>2767923
Chris has become a whore like every other reviewer
"camera A is good, but look at how sexy it is! everyone will jack off toy your magnificent style! It has a minor problem here (major) but it's not really important because the camera wasn't really designed to do that. All in all, great camera, give me money!"
>>
>>2767960
the reviewers are a company trying to sell the fucking camera
>>
>>2768058
He wasn't like that. He pointed out the flaws for a lot of the video. The camera man counter balanced it too. What's wrong with loving the aesthetics?
>>
>>2768058
That's not at all the impression I got from that video. I will throw out there though, the Pen F, and the fujis they review, are very well styled, which is worth mentioning. And I can't think of a single camera available today that isn't still a fantastic camera, with maybe a couple of small minor issues. If you think differently, you may want to actually leave the basement and try taking some photos for once. It's not that hard, and every camera out there can do it perfectly well in about 99% of real situations.
>>
>>2767923
>>2767440
He said Sony sponsors him in one of his recent videos. Was he being sarcastic or serious?
>>
>>2768010
>bad touch controls
Lolympus needs to work on UI consistency. They clumsily try to tack new stuff onto the control and menu system dating back to E-500, which was great at the time, but obviously not designed with touch, video and a gorillion PP effects in mind. The only thing they do right is retaining the ability to control everything with dials and buttons - I hate cameras that have touchscreen-exclusive settings.

>poor video
I think by this point everyone already gave up on video on lolympus, just like on Fuji.
>>
>>2768225
They have an opportunity with their 5 axis ibis for video, shame they don't put it to good use. If Panasonic can do it why can't they?
>>
>>2768230
I guess because Panasonic makes pro video cameras and can share the tech with their still cameras. Since lolympus is relatively small, they likely can't afford to spend a lot on R&D just to fix video in Pens.

But I'm not a video guy, so I'm more annoyed by Panasonic being so reluctant with IBIS and lolympus being even more reluctant with PDAF. They've had the tech for years now, and they still withhold it from most of their cameras for no apparent reason.
>>
>>2768230
because they threw all their money into the ibis.
>>
>>2768076
LOL, are you serious?
>>
File: P1040257.jpg (951 KB, 1500x1126) Image search: [Google]
P1040257.jpg
951 KB, 1500x1126
>>2768010
Yep it's as sexy as i thought it would be.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-GX7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)40 mm
Horizontal Resolution600 dpi
Vertical Resolution600 dpi
Image Created2016:02:15 10:02:00
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/1.7
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/1.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length20.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2769412
That manages to look both like an antique, and a Nintendo Wii accessory.
>>
>>2769415
That sounds like it's a bad thing. I know it's not for everyone but i like it. feels good to use.
>>
>>2769412
>upgrading from a GX7 to a GX8

Are you a gearfag
>>
>>2769449
Not at all, if i was a gear fag i would not chose M43. I just got the GX8 because the GX7's shutter broke and i can only use it in electronic shutter mode. This setting limits a lot of things like exposure, iso, and the use of flash.

It's kinda unfortunate that my GX7 broke, such a nice little camera, but i really need flash for product photography. But really if i was a gear fag i would have gone sony or some shit.
>>
>>2766715
i was actually thinking about buying it or the pen f or the omd em5 first gen i would use it with my old yashica lenses am i doing such a bad decision?
>>
File: x1xpan.jpg (58 KB, 576x168) Image search: [Google]
x1xpan.jpg
58 KB, 576x168
>>2770514
the pen will crop your manual lenses way too much, that 2x is a killer.

go Sony for manual lenses, they have the best fucus peaking. the cameras are ugly but they work and work well. nice video too.

fuji for the best stills, I think they have some sort of peaking for manual focus, but not sure.
you get a modern retro look that doesn't look like it is just playing off the past, they look a lot like the x-pan, which was a modern film rangefinder. video is shit.

panasonic if you must go m4/3. great video, not bad stills. I would say good glass but you can use olympus lenses on them and vice versa so it doesn't matter.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Macintosh
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2012:04:28 11:23:27
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width576
Image Height168
>>
>>2770514
Lenses designed for 35mm film suck on lolympus due to 2x crop and high pixel density. Having IS on old lenses is great, but doesn't compensate for narrow FoV and lack of sharpness compared to native lenses.

Get a Sony if you want to use old lenses. Add a Lens Turbo adapter if you want to retain FoV at the expense of some quality.
>>
>>2770544
thank you for the reply i just watched sony lineup (damm they are ugly ) is the a 3000 any good everybody is complaining about the evf actually are evfs any good for manual lenses? i really like mirrorless cameras but if they are that bad at focusing i will stick with the traditional mirror. ah you are free to give me advice if you have any
>>
>>2770593
is the a3000 any good ?
>>
>>2770544
>go Sony for manual lenses
This. If you're goint to adapt, a7x is basically the best option. If you want stay native, I think Fuji's by far the best

>>2770597
Just save for a used a7
>i really like mirrorless cameras but if they are that bad at focusing
EVF's are significantly better for manual focus.

>>2770598
no, there's no point in going sony if you're not going with the small mirrorless
>>
>>2770598
>>2770597
a3000 is not bad, but keep in mind that it's Sony's cheapest offering, and it comes with a lot of corners cut. If you want to use manual lenses, the low-resolution screen and EVF may be annoying.
>>
>>2770597
>everybody is complaining about the evf actually are evfs any good for manual lenses?

focus peaking does take some getting used to and I can see why some people might not like it but is has some advantages over a rangefinder and I find it better than the ground glass in just about all DLSRs
>>
>>2766715
Part of me really wants one of these because I love the Pen F

The sample images from it look pretty good so far, and it looks like a nice size for travelling.
>>
Anyone know how this thing will handle adapting lenses?

I know there are better cameras out there for that, but I'm digging this one.
Mostly wanting to adapt nikon lenses.
>>
>>2771536
Have you tried reading like 5 posts above yours
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.