[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DOF inconsistant between viewfinder and captured image
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 173A0442ab.jpg (521 KB, 1009x677) Image search: [Google]
173A0442ab.jpg
521 KB, 1009x677
Has anyone come across this or similar phenomena - I'm using a Canon 7DmkII w/Canon 100m Macro EF 1:2.8L IS USM + stacked Kenko Extension tubes (12mm+20mm+36mm). The DOF through the viewfinder appear much shallower compared to the captured image? Is this a result of the extension tubes?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 7D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5472
Image Height3648
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:01:20 15:27:46
Exposure Time1/5 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating16000
Lens Aperturef/9.1
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length100.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1009
Image Height677
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2748393

>f/2.8 for macro

kek
>>
>>2748394
This image was shot at f/9
>>
>>2748395
camera set to f/9 - I have no idea what the actual aperture would have been
>>
>>2748393
The lens stays wide open until you press the shutter, then it stops down, takes the picture, and opens back up again. If you want a DOF preview, you should be able to program a button to give you that. My cam gives me a dof preview when I half-press the shutter button.
>>
>>2748398
Thankyou!
>>
>>2748398

This.

You always see things through the viewfinder at wide open apertures with today's cameras because of how the metering system and capture system work.

With macro, the wide open effect on the viewfinder will cause the issue you've noticed; more DOF in the final image than you thought you were capturing, since you don't see it properly stopped down without a DOF Preview button.

Conversely, today's camera viewfinders are optimized for viewing f/2.8 apertures. Because of this, if you shoot fast primes wide open, you will see more DOF in the viewfinder than you will capture in the final image, even if you use a DOF Preview button.
>>
if you want the whole fly in focus get magic lantern and do some stacking.
is this pinned correctly?
>>
>>2748394
what the fuck is wrong with the 100m Macro EF 1:2.8L IS USM
>>
>>2750351

When 90% of all macro lenses are 2.8, why the fuck would you even engage a comment like that in discussion?
>>
>>2750361
because i didn't know 90% of macro lenses were f2.8
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.