[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Went to JA/p/AN
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 113
File: IMG_5961.jpg (188 KB, 549x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5961.jpg
188 KB, 549x800
>I went to the promised land, I found out the promised land isn't quite heaven.

Hey there guys, just posting to make you sad.
First up. Film Is Dead.
Pic related is the world famous Yodobashi Camera Shinjuku film cooler. All dat glorious 4x5 and 8x10 slide film, all those 120 pro-packs, many emulsions.
Hate to break it to you guys, but the boxes are all fucking empty. Special order only.
The prices aren't anything special. There is a better range of black and white emulsions available in Australia. Acros 100 is it. You might find the normal Ilfor or Kodak range too.
For 35mm colour, you're shooting Fuji, unless you want to pay through the ass for overpriced Kodak. Special emulsions include Superia 400 Premium, which is a few hundred yen more expensive and gets you "better" Asian skin tones, Venus 800, and Natura 1600. As we all know, fast film is for children, and looks like ass, unless you overexpose it, thus making it slow film, so I didn't bother. Then there's Fujicolour 100, which is cheap and sharp. Then there's Velvia 100 and 50, and then nothing.
In 120, you get Fuji Pro160NS, Fuji Pro400H, the Velvias, or you're back to highway robbery prices for Ol' Yeller.
When you're not at Yodabashi HQ, and you find a little print shop that still has some film for sale, it's in 3x27's of 400 Premium, or fuck off. You can't buy film at non-photo shops. You can develop film at print shops, which are reasonably easy to find, but they're all run by super old people who would have retired 15 years ago anywhere else. They mail out E6. The prices are as per normal. You will be treated like a crazy person when you ask for film or film services.
Japanese people will *not* use expired film, if you see some on a shelf in a little print shop, ask to buy it and there's every likelihood they'll give it to you for free. I was given 4 rolls of Provia 400X (pic related) and 2 rolls of Neopan 400 by the old gentleman I got to process my film. He treated me like a crazy person.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 550D
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.0.8
Serial Number1132529712
Lens NameEF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2015:12:12 19:48:57
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length100.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width549
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCloudy
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>I went to japan and they had no cheap film that was discontinued decades ago
But how was japan?
>>
File: Japan haul.jpg (731 KB, 2328x1934) Image search: [Google]
Japan haul.jpg
731 KB, 2328x1934
>>2744171
Secondly. Buy your cameras on eBay.

There are a faintly ridiculous number of secondhand camera shops in Tokyo. I spent several days schlepping around many of them, thanks to guides posted by JapanCameraHunter and TokyoCameraStyle.
Believe it or not, rare cameras are rare. You won't find hard to find things, and when you do, they will be expensive. Camera collecting is a national sport in Japan, and they're better at it than you.
I saw ONE Konica Hexar. It was 65000 yen.
I saw ZERO GR's.
All of the FM3A's were over 50000.
I saw ONE 28/2.8 Ai-S, and I bought it.
I saw 3 GW690's; 1 broken one for 20000, 1 beat to shit one for 45000, 1 minter for 70000.
These are not good odds, or good prices.
I went into at least a dozen stores.
There is sweet fuck all in the way of MF gear, and when you find it it's beat to shit, or very expensive. (Except for Pentax MF lenses, they can't give that shit away)
As I said above, you will find the gear you want cheaper and a thousand times easier on the internet. Just do it. Don't come to Japan hoping to find something hard to find.
Pic related is what I bought back with me.

>>
Be used camera stores are where it's at. Film ain't that special here as you found out. But having a full 8' x 30' wall of medium format gear in front of you is fucking delicious
>>
>>2744178
Japan was great, don't get me wrong.
But I'm saying you can't just buy film at every corner store, it's not cheap, there isn't anything cool like NOS Centuria or FortiaSP bricks sitting around in stores, MF has about the same support as it does anywhere else (slim to none).
>>
File: Fuji200Shinjuku29.jpg (234 KB, 527x800) Image search: [Google]
Fuji200Shinjuku29.jpg
234 KB, 527x800
>>2744183
Thirdly. Jimbocho, fuck yeah.

Shopping for photo books in Japan is heaven.
Bls see very recent JCH post on the topic.
The very store pictured in that article is where I bought most of the books in my pic above. I think the most I paid for any of those books was 3200.
There are plenty of *beautifully* printed books by Japanese photographers you haven't heard of, it really was a pleasure looking through the shelves.
The Jimbocho district in Tokyo has an insane number of bookshops, I wish I had had more than a day and more than 20kg of checked luggage to spend.

Fourthly. The darkroomsupplies department at Yodobashi HQ in Shinjuku is fucking great. Have to give them credit for that, more choice and variety in brands, sizes, weights, grades, finishes of paper than I knew what do do with.
I bought some cheap FB stuff and some stainless reels.

Fifthly, unloved gear is plentiful and cheap. See EM (2000), SB-20 (1500), Fujinon EP 135/5.6 (2000), non-AE-prism New F-1 (20000), see extinct emulsions, 100 yen a pop at Katsumido in Ginza.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2015:12:13 16:09:12
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width527
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCloudy
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>Japan
>Cheap
Someone was feeding you lies.
Also: Of course Kodak is more expensive there, same with Ilford. I feel like you maybe got too hyped and read too much into it.

It's certainly better than what most people in small towns around the world can get.
>>
That's not too bad compared to here in northern Europe to be honest. The online used camera store here is selling a Konica Hexar RF for €1100, Nikon S3 + 35mm f3.5 for €1000 and FM3A body only for €500.

Ebay has some very nice deals in Japan, that's for sure. Did you buy anything from there?
>>
File: IMG_5948a.jpg (345 KB, 1265x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5948a.jpg
345 KB, 1265x800
>>2744196
Japanese sellers on ebay is where it's at.
I bought my GSW690, my FD 50L and FD 85L from all different stores, and they all arrived within days and in pristine condition, exactly as photographed, with BuyItNow prices well below what was available on the ground over there.
>>2744190
I found everything else to be very reasonable. You clearly aren't 'strayan, breakfast for 2 over here will run you $50 easy.
And given that these camera shops are specialty retailers, likely purchasing their stock from reasonably well informed sources, and paying inner city rents, their prices are entirely understandable. But I didn't know what to expect really, and I'm just relieving people of any missapprehensions they might have.
Like I said, the promised land, but not heaven.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2015:12:22 21:27:17
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1265
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCloudy
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: Japan174.jpg (347 KB, 1209x800) Image search: [Google]
Japan174.jpg
347 KB, 1209x800
>>2744181
I feel like this shot as a 4x5 slide would be pretty interesting. But, you know, it would have been a pretty strange choice for the OP of a thread about film and camera buying in Japan, wouldn't it...

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2015:12:17 14:51:18
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1209
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCustom
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2744171
Last time in Japan I wasn't shooting film yet so I didn't check any film gear at Yodobashi camera. However, I bought a lot of camera accessories there for cheap like Panasonic Eneloops and chargers for the flash, filters etc. The digital cameras are also cheap compared to here in the Philippines.

If you want cheap film I prefer Hong Kong. A lot of choices as well and film cameras are also in abundance. Kodak films tend to be cheap in Hong Kong. However, here we have cheap $1 expired films and cheap film brands like Kodak ColorPlus.
>>
>>2744171
Hey man if you went to Japan the last thing I want to hear is about film prices, come on and post some nice streets and neon lights.
>>
Nice thread man.
Now do the same thing about Hong Kong .
>>
File: IMG_5966.jpg (132 KB, 572x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5966.jpg
132 KB, 572x800
>>2744262
It's a very expensive 50mm shot though a scratched perspex window covered in salt spray.
I really like the shot actually.
>>2744398
Like this?
>>2744523
Except the chinese are disgusting. Every time you saw them in japan, it was in a pack outside a Uni Qlo wearing bumbags and sunvisors and spitting on the floor and barking at one another in their awful sounding language.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2015:12:12 19:17:37
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width572
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCloudy
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2744534
have you been in Ginza? Walking down the main shopping street I didn't hear a single word in Japanese, just Chinese sitting on their fucking rice cookers and vacuum cleaners waiting for their tour bus to pick them up.
>>
>>2744534
>>2744556
>implying Hong Kong is just like China
You disgust Kai.
>>
>>2744556
I did go to Ginza, no pics yet as I haven't developed half of my colour. As I said, I picked up some expired film for a pittance at Katsumido Camera. Shared a moment of remorse with the young shop assistant at the death of Reala and Astia. If you want to drop gangsta money on Nikon, Rollei or Hasselblad gear, that's the place to do it...
>>
>>2744183

I've had pretty good luck picking up decent used lenses for friends at regular, non-camera oriented 2nd hand shops. Unless you've got a decent command of the language doing that will be difficult though.
>>
>>2744183

>Oriental paper

Mah nigga
>>
>>2744204
nice!
>>
>>2744171
you are a crazy person
>>
>>2744183
doing it wrong.
camera no naniwa offers the best price.
there's this shop in nakano that sells all the junk cameras by the buckets.
sometimes you'll see people selling junks in the backstreets of akiba.
>>
>>2744910
Man I wonder what you could find if you spent a day digging through the back streets. I'm sure there's treasure buried amongst all the junk like old dumbphones, mini tv's etc.
>>
>>2744183
>There is sweet fuck all in the way of MF gear, and when you find it it's beat to shit, or very expensive. (Except for Pentax MF lenses, they can't give that shit away)

Looking to get some mf lens for my a7 when I go to Japan later this year, surely it can't be worse than buying blind from ebay or from the pitifully low range in gumtree here in aus, right?
>>
>>2744973
Medium format not manual focus
>>
>>2744944

They have regular flea markets where people try to get rid of all the old shit from dead relatives etc.

I've scored some pretty nice stuff from those.
>>
>>2745113
>>2744944
>>2744910
I think flea markets and rummages are a bit off piste for a non-resident.
Camera No Naniwa appears to be related to Lemon-Sha? I went to the shinjuku and ginza Lemon shops, found the staff to be pretty disinterested in showing cameras to gaijin, and the prices to be pretty fucking ordinary.
Staff were great at Shimbashi Ichi, Camera Box, Katsumido, Miyama, Map Camera.

>>2744973
Like I said, if you want something specific and expensive, use ebay.
If you just want a fast 50mm, look in opshops or gumtree. And listen to the constant refrain of gear reviewers: They're all the fucking same. At least as far as a sony-toting moron like you would be able to tell.
As far as actual lenses available in shops as opposed to cameras, I found Nikon to be the most plentiful by far.
If all of Japan decided to start grinding up Ai-S 35/2's to sprinkle on their cereal, it would be 20 years before they ran out of stock.
Lots of plastic AF-D 35's, 50's, lots of not-the-28mm-I-actually-wanted.
Stacks of Pentacks for cheap (but who cares). What surprised me was the amount of Contax/Yashica gear. What surprised me more was how much I didn't want a Contax after I tried a few out. Even gangster shit like the S2 and RTS's, I found them to be just ordinary slappy mirror'ed, crunchy winding, match needle SLRs. But yeah, everything to do with them is still expensive af.
>>
>>2745318
Do you speak Japanese at all? That gaijin comment kinda sounds odd, but then again I do speak Japanese so my experiences might differ.

I wasn't doing photography at all when I was there though so I wouldn't know anything about camera stores specifically. Kinda bummed about that, but it's not like it isn't possible to go back.
>>
>>2745431
Apart from sumimasen and arigato, not a lot. But I'm not a noisy obnoxious retard that wanted to drag them from pillar to post whilst I checked out every shutter speed on every Leica they had on the shelf before saying, "thanks, I'm just going to check a few more shops, might see you later".
For example they didn't want to show me the nikon dioptre lenses, because they wouldn't fit my MF Fuji (they do), wouldn't show me the "broken" GW690 in the cabinet, so I could see how broken it was, in spite of me having another MF Fuji around my neck, etc.
I was happy to take my business elsewhere after that.
>>
>>2745509

If you aren't an obnoxious shithead like a lot of tourists the world over, you'll be fine in most cases. Regarding that broken one though, they might have been worried that you'd buy it, and then they would come across as a bunch of assholes or something.
>>
>>2744171
I want to read it tomorrow, so - bump
>>
>>2745514
I bought my M6 in Lemon Camera in Ginza, the guys there seemed friendly enough. The shinjuku branch staff were a bunch of grumpy cunts though. Bought a couple of lenses at Map Camera, staff were very friendly.
I don't speak any Japanese but I looked up basic things like hello, please, thank you etc. before shopping
>>
>>2744171
I went recently and walked in and out with film in various places, including in Hokkaido.

Japan is promised land for me.. Akihabara and nerd/weeb shit everywhere. Cute girls. Love the convenience stores and supermarket, and shops, and Don Quijote.. and well you know everything I suppose. Even the trains.

City life is fantastic, then a short trip away country life is fantastic, with landscapes, nature and wild life.

>>2744186
I actually bought film at a corner store as well as big stores. This corner store was in Kyoto I think it was on some street, 160NS 120.

>>2744190
Cheap compared to Australia. Cheap accom and rent, cheap food, cheap travel.
>>
File: JPY160NS002 - JPY160NS005.jpg (302 KB, 710x917) Image search: [Google]
JPY160NS002 - JPY160NS005.jpg
302 KB, 710x917
>>2746643
>160NS 120
>corner store
Most of the Fuji photofinishing stores I went into didn't stock Brownie film.
What sort of corner store was this?
Also, that pro 160NS was most of what I shot over there, aside from some astia I brought with me and expired shit I found.
I really like it!
>>
File: kyoto_street.jpg (299 KB, 534x800) Image search: [Google]
kyoto_street.jpg
299 KB, 534x800
>>2747339
I didn't end up shooting it, I picked up some Velvia 50 in 220 since it was a bit cheaper than 120 and shot a lot of that and expired provia 100f that was still good that I brought over and some Ektar.

I was going to try to arrange some portraits, but even on my 40 day trip, time just got away from me.

The store was run by two old ladies, didn't really speak much English, but I learned enough in introductory classes to ask for it by Fuji 160 and 120 in Jap.

It was just a small shop on a street, I walked past and caught my eye. I think it was one of tourist streets.

I -think- it was down or near by one of these streets in this touristy area in Kyoto, unless I am confused and got it somewhere else.
>>
>>2746561
How much did you pay for your M6, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>2747496
Was this shot on the Velvia?
And what kind of scanner are you using?
>>
>>2747496
foojee hyaku rokuju
>>
>>2747699
>Was this shot on the Velvia?
Have you ever even seen Velvia?
>>
File: 220_velvia50_-001.jpg (455 KB, 1000x833) Image search: [Google]
220_velvia50_-001.jpg
455 KB, 1000x833
>>2747699
A7s. It's a photo of the street near where I found the 160NS. I didn't shoot much film on my trip until the end part mostly, which was mostly in Hokkaido.

Pic related
>>
File: Japan203.jpg (573 KB, 1202x800) Image search: [Google]
Japan203.jpg
573 KB, 1202x800
>>2748327
>jpy so picturesque

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:01:19 10:56:34
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1202
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCustom
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: JapanBW091.jpg (231 KB, 1186x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW091.jpg
231 KB, 1186x800
>>2749086
Bumping with more Japan.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:01:23 14:29:09
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1186
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: JapanBW059.jpg (290 KB, 1223x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW059.jpg
290 KB, 1223x800
>>2751169

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:01:03 08:04:43
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1223
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2744188
>Shopping for photo books in Japan is heaven.
Real talk: I tried to find a decent book shop but then ended up spending most of my money on stationary ... and my guitar. Rotring pacers (mechanical pencils for y'all that aren't aussie) are close to $40. Which bookshops do you remember going into?
>>
>>2752132
Read the recent JCH photo book guide.
That's pretty much it, family.
>>
File: stairs.jpg (901 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
stairs.jpg
901 KB, 667x1000
>>2752133
I was there in March/April last year. I feel like adding to this thread. This was in Kyoto, just on the outer edge of the bamboo forest in Sagano, unedited, apart from resizing. Cheap film disposable at Coles. Expired by a year and a half.
>>
>>2752132

Where did you go? There's a lot of used book stores that have a selection of good stuff at decent prices.
>>
Let's face it, film is deprecated, it is time to move on.
Digital has better resolution anyway.
>>
File: JapanBW054.jpg (283 KB, 1185x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW054.jpg
283 KB, 1185x800
>>2752285
Nah bro, film is the way of the future.
Pic related is the result of my first attempt to use the stainless reels shown in >>2744183 without watching a youtube video on how to do it first.
Had some track jumping issues and some films stuck together.
Out of 4 films I only ruined maybe 10 frames? So not ideal, but not an abject disaster.

And just for those playing along at home, the trick is to keep checking as you wind the film on that it still has free play when you tug or push on it. If there's no coiling/uncoiling slack, then it's skipped a track and you need to back it off a little and try again.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:01:24 10:18:06
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1185
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2752398
>film is the way of the future
HAHA no.
Look at that wasted shot, you don't have these kind of problems with digital, even 7 years old ones like a Canon 40D will make better photos than that and the processing won't ruin it.
Film is dead, literally the cheapest digital point and shoot is more reliable and has better image quality. Just let it go.
>>
>>2752398

way to fall for obvious troll, bro
>>
File: JapanBW043.jpg (125 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW043.jpg
125 KB, 800x800
>>2752404
>>2752413
I wasn't "falling for the troll", I made a dismissive offhand remark, and continued posting photos to my thread.
>>2752404
>even 7 years old ones like a Canon 40D will make better photos
Yeah, but my photo looks neat, even when the processing ruins it.
>pic related, my only shot of Mt Fujifilm

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2015:12:23 08:32:34
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width800
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2752443
And what did you end up with? A ruined photo. Completely lost. Digital is much more reliable, you have to admit it.
>>
>>2752447
A ruined 'photo', but a pleasing image.
Bitches be cray for this lomo shit, mane.
You just need to let go of your fixation on control, and sharpness, and maximum versatility and security of your precious photos, and embrace photography as a hobby and an art form.

Film is objectively better than digital, because film is more zen.
>>
>>2752398
Keep a metal reel and film out on a table in your house, and a few times a day close your eyes and reel the film. Use your fingers to feel the top and bottom of the reel. If you feel any film sticking out, you jumped the track. Unroll and repeat. After developing 30 or 40 rolls, you'll never have a problem with jumped tracks.

Steel reels are the way to go. Keep away from that plastic shit. As long as you don't drop the steel reels, you're set for life.
>>
File: really good.jpg (35 KB, 661x720) Image search: [Google]
really good.jpg
35 KB, 661x720
>>2747339
holy shit this is a negative film shot? It looks like Provia!
>>
>>2752452

...you just went full retard.
>>
>>2752736
What part of my post did you disagree with?
>>
File: DSC09849a.jpg (461 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
DSC09849a.jpg
461 KB, 1200x797
That fridge is famous? I just thought it looked cool due to its size. All I cared about was the fact that the Velvia was 1/3 the price of Velvia in a shop in Sydney.
Inadvertently I still have some rolls of now expired but probably still good and hopefully not xray damaged Velvia from there sitting in my fridge. And my Pantecks is jammed so fuck that.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelNEX-5R
Camera SoftwareImage Data Converter
PhotographerJames
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.5
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)42 mm
Image Created2016:01:25 21:20:29
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Brightness4.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length28.00 mm
Image Width1806
Image Height1200
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
I think your experience has more to do with the demise of brick and mortar businesses than the demise of film.
>>
>>2752787
I think you don't know what you're talking about.
Because you don't see the piled high boxes of film and chemicals at online retailers, it's easy for you to let yourself imagine that they're there.
The reality is of course that you can keep a jpeg and product description in stock on your website forever if you like, and it doesn't matter that you've only got 3 rolls of 220 Velvia left that have been sitting there for 4 months.
On the off chance that an order for more than that comes in, they can just-in-time that shit from their supplier, whose MOQ is now down to individual pro-packs that he'll drive out to them himself.
A person who needs to keep the lights on in their shop, however, can only afford to stock products that sell.
I go into a hardware shop and see them selling Honda lawnmowers off a pallet they haven't even bothered to unstack. Those things last for 20 fucking years, cost $700, and you can buy those off the internet too, but they still keep stock weight of them on the floor in retail stores.
Film is a fucking consumable with a built-in return incentive for the customer (developing).
It's tiny, it would take far less than a square meter of shelf space to stock a very reasonable range.
If SPECIALIST CAMERA RETAILERS can't justify keeping that kind of product in stock, it's deader than fucking disco.

>wake up m8
>>
>>2752737

"objective" and "zen"
>>
baka gaijan.....
>>
File: JapanBW032.jpg (222 KB, 534x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW032.jpg
222 KB, 534x800
>>2752920
If you've been on fourchannel for more than 5 minutes and haven't worked out the word "objectively" is only used to rustle jimmies, then you may be beyond help.
Zen, on the other hand, is exactly why I like film photography. It's so relaxing. And the best photographs are zen too. They have a gentle visual harmony, rather than shouting a message aggressively at you.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2015:12:23 09:19:29
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width534
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2752798
Ask B&H for a pic of their film stock.
>>
>>2752798
tl;dr, too.
>>
>>2753143

The zen thing is a bullshit function of how retarded someone is
>>
>>2744204
i rather like this one. lol where she goin all business like?
>>
File: JPY160NS154 - JPY160NS156mini.jpg (167 KB, 595x800) Image search: [Google]
JPY160NS154 - JPY160NS156mini.jpg
167 KB, 595x800
>>2753336
To school m8.

>>2753885
Sure thing buddy. Which part of it triggered you so strongly that you had to make this post?
>>
>>2753899
>shit photos=autism

anon, I'm afraid OP isn't the autistic one here
>>
File: JPY160NS115 - JPY160NS120mini.jpg (210 KB, 1090x800) Image search: [Google]
JPY160NS115 - JPY160NS120mini.jpg
210 KB, 1090x800
>>2753905
>>2753899
I quite like my photos, I'm sorry you don't feel the same way.
I quite like giving clear and detailed responses to people's questions.
I'd rather write something once, properly, than have to make 8 different posts of monosyllabic memespeak in response to the inane questions you'll get if you're not clear in the first place.

I raise the standard of this board, whereas you're a degenerate.
>>
>>2753925
yeah, makes sense

>>2753905
you've lost all recognizable ability to interact with people
>>
File: IMG_7542 - IMG_7547mini.jpg (246 KB, 601x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7542 - IMG_7547mini.jpg
246 KB, 601x800
>>2753925
>>
>>2753925

Clear and detailed, they are not.
>>
File: JapanBW034.jpg (495 KB, 1457x1000) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW034.jpg
495 KB, 1457x1000
>>2754215
Sure thing, yoda.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:01:05 17:29:14
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1457
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2752404
Why do you care so much what other people shoot? Are you that shit that you need to try and bring down other people with your tiny epeen? kill yourself pls
>>
File: IMG_7509 - IMG_7510mini.jpg (154 KB, 603x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7509 - IMG_7510mini.jpg
154 KB, 603x800
>>2754247
>>
File: JapanBW183.jpg (173 KB, 541x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW183.jpg
173 KB, 541x800
>>2755458

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:01:30 08:51:38
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width541
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: JapanBW326.jpg (220 KB, 1182x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW326.jpg
220 KB, 1182x800
>>2755968

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:01:31 08:18:46
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1182
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: JapanBW177.jpg (321 KB, 1192x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW177.jpg
321 KB, 1192x800
>>2756636

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:02:01 08:13:29
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1192
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2757583
This is great.
>>
>>2757628
Thanks. I wish I'd caught him entirely silhouetted against the pillar, but oh well.
>>
>>2757583
Yes, this one's really great!
>>
>>2744183
HI
>>
>>2755458
Those tones, holy shit.
What is that, portra 160?
>>
File: JapanBW361.jpg (317 KB, 1192x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW361.jpg
317 KB, 1192x800
>>2758027
No, Fuji 160 NS.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:02:02 14:16:41
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1192
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: JapanBW350.jpg (110 KB, 541x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW350.jpg
110 KB, 541x800
>>2758027
Sorry m8, >>2758573
>No, Fuji 160 NS.
is a damned lie.

>>2755458 is Astia

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:02:03 08:21:37
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width541
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: JapanBW356.jpg (396 KB, 1185x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW356.jpg
396 KB, 1185x800
>>2759016

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:02:03 10:27:49
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1185
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: JapanBW065.jpg (223 KB, 1186x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW065.jpg
223 KB, 1186x800
>>2759130
>Captcha: Select all images with trains

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:02:03 11:32:21
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1186
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: IMG_7629 - IMG_7630mini.jpg (308 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7629 - IMG_7630mini.jpg
308 KB, 800x800
>>2759181
Another light leak affected frame.
>>
>>2744183
OP, you German?
>>
File: straya.jpg (128 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
straya.jpg
128 KB, 533x800
>>2760271
Strayan, m8.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:02:04 23:32:56
Exposure Time1/1600 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width533
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeCenter-Weighted
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Digital ZoomUnknown
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed65408
Color Matrix129
>>
File: Japan066.jpg (369 KB, 1197x800) Image search: [Google]
Japan066.jpg
369 KB, 1197x800
>>2760121

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:02:06 09:38:15
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1197
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCustom
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: Japan184.jpg (208 KB, 546x800) Image search: [Google]
Japan184.jpg
208 KB, 546x800
>>2761618
Fuji c100 in 35mm

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:02:07 10:05:15
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width546
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCustom
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2744171
>They mail out E6.
Is this true for the pro labs ?
When i went there last ( 012 ) the place i used did it in house
>>
>>2744171
>Hate to break it to you guys, but the boxes are all fucking empty.

Last time i was there you pick up an empty box and hand it to them and they pull a full box of film out from under the counter ( not sure if this was an anti theft measure or not ) .

This was 120 anyway , this was a few years ago .
>>
>>2762733
>theft
>Japan

>theft
>of a niche market item that is not particularly small
>>
>>2762729
I wasn't talking about pro labs, obvs.
>>2762733
And yes, they have some stock behind the counter, but it's not an enormous fridge's worth.

It's sort of like going to a caryard, and picking out a black V6 Accord wagon on the lot, only to find that it, and all the other cars on display are cardboard cutouts.
And you go to the sales staff and say, I was looking for a Honda Accord, and they say sure, we've got one of those in the back, and wheel out a '14-plated 4cyl Manual in Teal.
>oh, but I was after a black 6cyl wagon
Yeah, we can get that, 4-8 weeks.
>>
>>2762745
I'm not really sure why else they would do it , that is what came across my mind as the reason when i picked up empty pro packs
theft is not common place in Japan but it does happen
it does not really make any sense to me to have to run huge fridges that are mostly empty besides maybe for the image that they have tons of film
>>
>>2762746
>I wasn't talking about pro labs, obvs.

Were you really going to Japan expecting some little mom and pop lab to do E6 in house ?
>>
>>2762782
Well I expect to be doing e6 in my house in about a week's time, so I don't see why not.
It's not like it's massively different to c41.
The point of my statement was to make the point that it's not drastically different to what you'd expect in Australia or anywhere else, it's just that film is a little slower in its death cycle over there, but defs still dying.
>>
>>2762803
Doing it at home is a bit different - you can save up enough exposed film to use the whole batch of chemicals before they go bad , small labs don't get enough E6 to do that even in Japan - most pro labs in my city have stopped E6 now because of that . C41 volume is a lot higher so they can still put enough films through before the chemicals go bad and are able to turn a profit .

I think it's different to Australia , i felt it was much easier to acquire and develop film and other related paraphernalia but yeah i agree that it is def dying - the majority of people i seen shooting film there were pretty old and when they die off there does not seem to be a lot to replace them
>>
>>2752798
But disco is coming back
>>
>>2744171
why would you even consider going to japan for /p/hotography
>>
>>2759016
How are you so sure?
>>
File: IMG_7510.jpg (330 KB, 980x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7510.jpg
330 KB, 980x800
>>2765860
I took the photo. I was saying I made a mistake and told you the wrong thing in the first place.
Pic related.

Camera SoftwareDigital Photo Professional
Image Width980
Image Height800
>>
>>2752452
This x10,000
>>
File: bowwave.jpg (194 KB, 1191x800) Image search: [Google]
bowwave.jpg
194 KB, 1191x800
>>2765989
>the fire rises
>>
>>2764211
That is so painful I don't know how that anon could even own up to that shit anonymously.
>>
File: Japan047.jpg (167 KB, 548x800) Image search: [Google]
Japan047.jpg
167 KB, 548x800
>>2766823

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:02:14 18:10:28
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width548
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCustom
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: JapanBW009.jpg (162 KB, 541x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW009.jpg
162 KB, 541x800

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:02:16 07:34:23
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width541
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: IMG_8363mini.jpg (156 KB, 549x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8363mini.jpg
156 KB, 549x800
>>2769849

Image Width549
Image Height800
>>
>>2768748
really like this shot - looking to take some similar shots this May when I visit
>>
>>2770254
Thx bro, this sort of thing is everywhere, you shouldn't have too much trouble.
The real treat is eating their food and drinking their shochu.
>>
>>2770220
As a regular browser of /o/, this picture really appeals to me. I cant pin it, but something about the atmosphere of Japan's cities just contrasts so well with brightly colored cars.
>>
File: IMG_8391mini.jpg (166 KB, 571x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8391mini.jpg
166 KB, 571x800

Image Width571
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_8395mini.jpg (154 KB, 558x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8395mini.jpg
154 KB, 558x800

Image Width558
Image Height800
>>
>>2770220
Favorite car. That photo is so fucking japanese
>>
File: IMG_8204mini.jpg (267 KB, 1173x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8204mini.jpg
267 KB, 1173x800
>>2772680

Image Width1173
Image Height800
>>
>>2774068
Where's this?
>>
File: IMG_8211mini.jpg (210 KB, 535x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8211mini.jpg
210 KB, 535x800
>>2774097
Kegon Falls, Nikko.
Film is Agfa Precisa.
>>2774068 was taken wide open with the 50L, it's a boss lense. Does have some pretty righteous coma out in the corners though

Image Width535
Image Height800
>>
I really like your photos OP. Amazing stuff. I've just started taking photography seriously and all I have to work with is an old point and shoot and 35mm film. It's a bummer that I'm decades late to the film party because I really enjoy using it.
>>
>>2774115
As a fellow Aussie, do you have any favourite parts of Australia to shoot/recommend?
>>
File: edgy017.jpg (384 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
edgy017.jpg
384 KB, 1200x800
>>2774196
Thx bro.
I also use P&S cameras a lot, if anything shooting film has taught me that it's way less about your camera settings than it is about holding your damned camera still, and taking properly composed photos of interesting things.
And the latitude of negative film means that full auto cameras will usually get you in the ballpark for exposure anyway.
>>2774201
I haven't travelled extensively in Australia.
I'm from Brisbane though, and I love getting around the national parks within daytrip range.

Pic related was on Mt Glorious somewhere, with an Olympus P&S.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.6
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2015:04:26 20:50:35
Exposure Time1/90 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1200
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2774331
There's a suprising amount of Brisbanites on this board
>>
>>2774338
I think it's mainly Eggy and myself, plus a couple of casuals.
I only post as anon, so I might seem like a few people.
>>
Glad I happened upon your thread here. You have some very beautiful photos of your trip. Good work and thanks for sharing these.
>>
File: IMG_84412mini.jpg (161 KB, 1157x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_84412mini.jpg
161 KB, 1157x800

Image Width1157
Image Height800
>>
>>2774201
Great Ocean road.
>>
>>2775449
Nice scenery but over run with Chinese tourists , even on a weekday in the middle of winter
>>
>>2774338
i remember seeing a dude walking around Shibuya in a Brisbane broncos woolen jumper that looked like it was knit by his grandma , looked pretty funny in contrast to how sharp people dress in Tokyo
>>
File: DSC_6099.jpg (448 KB, 1000x668) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6099.jpg
448 KB, 1000x668
>>2744183
Oh shit, I just noticed that EM. (Only 5 weeks after the post, haha.) I still have the one my dad bought brand new when he was an architecture grad student in '81 or so.

I'm thinking of hitting Japan for spring break in April, because flights are ridiculously cheap and I haven't been since '09. Looks like it's probably not worth spending too much time in camera shops, though.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D610
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern802
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:02:22 23:20:21
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Return Detected
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: EMTriX03.jpg (220 KB, 1174x800) Image search: [Google]
EMTriX03.jpg
220 KB, 1174x800
>>2775753
They're pretty good cameras. This one took >>2775447
Auto exposed some Fuji Trebi 100 for probably 3 minutes or so. I expected some reciprocity/film-was-expired-as-shit related failure, but if anything it needed some negative compensation applied because the centre of the frame was darker.

I'm not saying camera shops aren't worth a look, just that you shouldn't go there expecting to find many flaming hot deals. There's still plenty of neat stuff to look at

Image Width1174
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_8408mini.jpg (215 KB, 521x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8408mini.jpg
215 KB, 521x800
>>2776395
Sorry you feel that way bro.

Image Width521
Image Height800
>>
>>2770220
>tfw jdm nsx
>>
>>2770576
>>2772680
It's the Fuji colours, breh
>>
>>2744171
>the country that purchases the latest and greatest at huge premiums does not use technologies that have been obsolete for over a decade

Not to be a dick or anything, anon, but NO WAY!
>>
File: IMG_8246mini.jpg (281 KB, 1139x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8246mini.jpg
281 KB, 1139x800
>>2777582
Well my post was mainly about dispelling any misconceptions people might have about the place.
I did get plenty of respect for shooting film though, as anywhere.
A term I also got a lot was "kodawari", which is typically not a compliment, but mainly means that you obsess over the finer points, that you maybe spend more care or effort on something than is necessary or prudent.

Image Width1139
Image Height800
>>
>>2778262
Have you got somewhere I can follow your work? Instagram, Flickr?
>>
>>2778277
Nope.
Four channel gets all my love.
>>
File: IMG_85471.jpg (299 KB, 1198x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_85471.jpg
299 KB, 1198x800

Image Width1198
Image Height800
>>
>>2744171
>GIMP 2.8.14

why
>>
>>2778908
I guess because I'm a luddite.
Same reason I use film.
Would you suggest a different build of GIMP?
>>
File: IMG_8466mini.jpg (274 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8466mini.jpg
274 KB, 1200x800
>>2778918

Image Width1200
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_8308mini.jpg (228 KB, 555x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8308mini.jpg
228 KB, 555x800
>>2779531

Image Width555
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_8326mini.jpg (306 KB, 565x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8326mini.jpg
306 KB, 565x800
>>2781680

Image Width565
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_8450mini.jpg (188 KB, 550x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8450mini.jpg
188 KB, 550x800

Image Width550
Image Height800
>>
Lovely shots
>>
File: IMG_8468mini.jpg (259 KB, 1203x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8468mini.jpg
259 KB, 1203x800
>>2783845
thx bro

Image Width1203
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_8431mini.jpg (282 KB, 1179x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8431mini.jpg
282 KB, 1179x800
>>2784103

Image Width1179
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_8661mini.jpg (318 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8661mini.jpg
318 KB, 1200x800
>>2785804

Image Width1200
Image Height800
>>
>>2744572
It's getting that way.
Native Hongkies despair.
Hong Kong has been lost to the disgusting ravening mess that is the mainlander than flees to HK to give birth.

All the menial jobs are done by mainlanders anyway.
God damn do I hate mainlanders so fucking much.

Nowhere in asia is safe.
>>
File: IMG_8595mini.jpg (476 KB, 1208x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8595mini.jpg
476 KB, 1208x800
>>2787091

Image Width1208
Image Height800
>>
This is good shit my man, I'm a fan!
>>
File: IMG_8644mini.jpg (349 KB, 1190x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8644mini.jpg
349 KB, 1190x800
>>2787887

Image Width1190
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_8641mini.jpg (285 KB, 1182x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8641mini.jpg
285 KB, 1182x800
>>2787929
Thx bro.
On a side note, this Provia 400X is the shit, especially considering how fast, expired, and free it was.
I shot it at 320.
Can only imagine how good it must have seemed when it was new and fresh.

Image Width1182
Image Height800
>>
>>2787184
>All the menial jobs are done by mainlanders anyway.

No they're not they are done by Filipinos
>>
File: IMG_8654mini.jpg (129 KB, 559x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8654mini.jpg
129 KB, 559x800
>>2787955

Image Width559
Image Height800
>>
>>2785804
if it werent for that supernova this would be one of my favorite photos ive ever seen
>>
File: JapanBW324.jpg (206 KB, 1190x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW324.jpg
206 KB, 1190x800
>>2788350
Thx bro, that is the reality of shooting a flash through glass unfortunately.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:03:09 09:39:35
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1190
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2788338
>>2788435
Are you OP? The photos seems to be getting better as the thread comes along
>>
File: JapanBW234.jpg (401 KB, 1190x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW234.jpg
401 KB, 1190x800
>>2788437
Yes, everything in here is mine, from my 3 week Japan trip last November.
I'm a slow editor.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:03:09 09:54:54
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1190
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2788442
no complaints here. I'm just enjoying the photos
>>
>>2766838
How do people like this survive? Like I'm not super social but fuck me how can you become this retarded?
>>
>>2776395
I disagree, not usually a fan but this works
>>
>>2788465
People overuse the word autism on 4chan but seriously this dude was probably on the spectrum. Feel sorry for the guy. One of my better friends is on the spectrum as well, though not to that bad a degree, and when I'm with him in social situations I constantly have to prompt him and feed him lines and stuff. He's a crazy smart guy but his brain just can't get a hold of social interaction
>>
OP how do you scan your pics?

Also great shots kudos
>>
>>2788484
I am basically *the* DSLR scanning fag.
>>2783532 is my setup.
>>
File: JapanBW202.jpg (334 KB, 1188x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW202.jpg
334 KB, 1188x800

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:03:10 13:49:32
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1188
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: JapanBW180.jpg (353 KB, 1182x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW180.jpg
353 KB, 1182x800
>>2789405 and pic related are Neopan 400 btw.
>tfw Neopan 400 is kill
>;_;

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:03:12 09:30:13
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1182
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2784103
Orange/gold and blue photos are my fetish.
>>
>>2790797
Thx bro? >_>
>>
>>2788478
That sounds like me; I wish I had the balls to kill myself.

Oh well. It's nice living vicariously looking at photos and imagining what life must like.

Thanks OP for sharing.
>>
File: IMG_7497 - IMG_7498mini.jpg (224 KB, 987x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7497 - IMG_7498mini.jpg
224 KB, 987x800
>>2791355
Just to clarify, that is a classic piece of copypasta, and nothing to do with anyone in this thread... or not me, at least.
>>
>>2791369
Oh, I understand. It's just crazy how similar I am -- I'm even studying Japanese.

Lovely tones.
>>
File: IMG_8606mini.jpg (151 KB, 527x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8606mini.jpg
151 KB, 527x800
>>2791369

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:03:15 11:29:23
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width527
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceFlash
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: IMG_8600mini.jpg (381 KB, 1206x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8600mini.jpg
381 KB, 1206x800
>>2793262

Image Width1206
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_8907 - IMG_8910.jpg (143 KB, 538x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8907 - IMG_8910.jpg
143 KB, 538x800
>>
>>2791369
>>2793262
>>2794650
noice
>>
>>2797360
This one is tasty + very nice use of black and white
>>
I'm guessing apart from the shot of the snake, most of these were shot with the F1 and the Nikon? Which lenses did you use?

Great shots
>>
>>2797792
Did you say snake when you meant cat?
I took an AE-1 Program over, with the 50L and 35/2.8, and used those for most stuff.
I bought a Nikkor 28/2.8 Ai-S over there, and in the last week picked up a 2000 yen EM so I could try it out, but really only for a handful of shots.
I also bought a Fuji GS645 over there, and returned it after shooting about 12 rolls, but I just haven't posted many of those in this thread.
The cat shot is from that, cropped. It developed a pinhole in the bellows that ruined quite a few shots.
>>
>>2797842

The 50L is new glass? Do you use an adapter?
Curious why you choose to shoot with new and expensive glass when same qualities can be achieved w much cheaper vintage glass
>>2774331 scary cat!
>>
File: IMG_9119.jpg (240 KB, 1178x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9119.jpg
240 KB, 1178x800
>>2798636
FD, not EF
I use old expensive glass because the covetous, gearfagging side of my brain can justify it to the reasonable side by saying that they're not making any more of them, and that they can only increase in value, esp. as FF mirrorless becomes the norm.
but in reality the only way I'd sell either of these lenses is if I had multiples of them.
They're pretty great.

Image Width1178
Image Height800
>>
>>2798649
Ahh gotcha

Whadya use to shoot that photo? dem cromabs
>>
File: binnaburra050.jpg (96 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
binnaburra050.jpg
96 KB, 533x800
>>2798678
ikr
Smegma 30/1.4 Art, wide open.
It is very good on FF B&W film tho.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2015:09:25 17:21:07
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width533
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: Japan145.jpg (179 KB, 570x800) Image search: [Google]
Japan145.jpg
179 KB, 570x800
>>2798681
>i-i hope it's warm enough for objective-provia-san

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:03:22 16:42:07
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width570
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCustom
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: IMG_8349mini.jpg (185 KB, 1157x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8349mini.jpg
185 KB, 1157x800
>>2798686

Image Width1157
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_8352mini.jpg (173 KB, 539x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8352mini.jpg
173 KB, 539x800
>>2801168
Why don't you shoot slides, /p/?

Image Width539
Image Height800
>>
>>2801789

but i do.
>>
>>2801940
where are they posted?
>>
File: IMG_8356mini.jpg (196 KB, 1195x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8356mini.jpg
196 KB, 1195x800
>>2801789

Image Width1195
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_8592mini.jpg (354 KB, 1193x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8592mini.jpg
354 KB, 1193x800
>>2802534

Image Width1193
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_8611mini.jpg (190 KB, 568x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8611mini.jpg
190 KB, 568x800
>>2803604

Image Width568
Image Height800
>>
File: JapanBW072.jpg (309 KB, 1179x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW072.jpg
309 KB, 1179x800

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:03:30 13:26:38
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1179
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2803700
can you give me this at full res pls? id like it as a phone background i think
>>
File: IMG_8611.jpg (4 MB, 3360x4736) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8611.jpg
4 MB, 3360x4736
>>2804451
It doesn't look much better at full res, but here you go.

Image Width3360
Image Height4736
>>
>>2804454
thanks!!!
>>
File: IMG_9229 - IMG_9232mini.jpg (192 KB, 609x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9229 - IMG_9232mini.jpg
192 KB, 609x800
>>
File: IMG_9250 - IMG_9253mini.jpg (262 KB, 1070x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9250 - IMG_9253mini.jpg
262 KB, 1070x800
>>2805648
Yes, *that* Petri.
>>
File: IMG_9295 - IMG_9298mini.jpg (142 KB, 607x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9295 - IMG_9298mini.jpg
142 KB, 607x800
>>2805794
>>
File: IMG_9264 - IMG_9268mini.jpg (251 KB, 1071x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9264 - IMG_9268mini.jpg
251 KB, 1071x800
>>2805808
Got to say, having gone through a few slides from this Fuji GS645, I'm not that sad to have had to return it.
Not particularly sharp, and stacks of chromabs.
It really was nice to shoot, and easy to carry for MF, but not up to the standard of my GSW690's lense.
Probably would have been better with fast B&W film.
>>
lovely pictures
>>
File: IMG_9278 - IMG_9281mini.jpg (187 KB, 1119x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9278 - IMG_9281mini.jpg
187 KB, 1119x800
>>2805837
thx bro
>>
>>2805816

Comfy shot, Bro.
>>
File: IMG_1898.jpg (1 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1898.jpg
1 MB, 4000x3000
Did somebody say yodobashi?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot SD940 IS
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Lens Size5.00 - 20.00 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.03
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2015:11:09 20:02:36
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length5.00 mm
Image Width4000
Image Height3000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Exposure ModeProgram
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
ISO Speed RatingAuto
SharpnessNormal
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeSingle
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
Subject Distance65.530 m
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Image Number124-1898
>>
>>2744171
I haven't read any of this stupid thread, but fuck you, film ain't dead.

FUJI is pretty much fucking dead, because they can't into business, but whatever.

I have more film than what is in that picture in my goddamn fridge/freezer so I don't even give a fuck. I have 10 years conservatively of film on tap, 35mm up to 8x10, so I'm cool, and I'll keep buying it up when I find old retards retiring and selling off their freezer stash. Last month I bought 3 boxes of 8x10 film for $100.
>>
>>2807093
That's probably a week before I got there and took the OP photo.
If you look closely, you can see the prices; they're not anything special.
Also, as I mentioned, all of the medium format pro-packs are just empty boxes, as is all of the LF film.
>>2806904
thx bro
>>
>>2807103
When the only realistic source of the raw materials for your craft is to scavenge from dead people, you need to wake up and smell the roses.
>10 years conservatively
Sounds like you don't shoot very much.
Pls show 500+ rolls to back up your smack talk.
>>
>>2807103
Well you certainly aren't helping the industry at all by buying second hand film.
>>
>>2791369
What building is this and where is it?
>>
>>2807152
It's not a building, they are dolos awaiting deployment sitting in a holding yard.
Google dolos.
>>
>>2807125
I have over 2000 sheets of LF film, about 20 100' boxes of 35mm, 100s of rolls of 120. I shoot more than anyone on this board, I guarantee it.

It's not scavenging from dead people, I'm talking about people who can't bring themselves to shoot short-dated film and sell it for pennies on the dollar.

>>2807150
The industry is fucked. I buy new when I need it (different films than I have or whatever). Fuji fucked themselves, not me.
>>
>>2807125 is right, film is dead and >>2807103 is just harvesting the meat from corpses that haven't decayed yet.
>>
>>2807344
Sure thing bud. Just ignore the 3 massive companies still producing film (with Ilford being a major player that is unlikely to go away in the next several decades) and also lots of smaller companies making niche products, like Film Ferrania.

Face it digifags, film is here to stay, just like vinyl before it, or even moreso. I'm still young and I plan to be shooting film for at least 3 more decades.
>>
>>2787887

be careful, most countries still have active 3rd rails.
>>
>>2807364
Ilford might be around forever because it is the right size for the market, but as long as they have no color or slide in their repertoire they might as well not exist for me personally

And even if some smaller player (Ferrania?) would eventually step up to fill that niché, fact is the best films in those categories today are currently by Fuji and Kodak, both companies whose long-term future in the business is highly dubious at best.

Fact is those two companies have decades worth of R&D invested into processes, materials and machinery, done & paid for in a time when it was actually profitable & sensible business to do so.

Anyone starting from scratch today in Film is not going to have the luxury to afford even a single-digit percentage of that spent R&D if they'd want to see even a cent of profit, ever.

Only way to actually start something "new" is by standing on the shoulders of those who were, like what Ferrania is trying to do. It's nice that they're doing what they're doing, but even if they do succeed, they'll still be just a 2nd-tier maker in terms of products compared to Fuji, Kodak or Agfa (Gevaert, still miffed nobody salvaged that business).
>>
>>2807427
Two things - firstly, Kodak/Fuji could (and should) sell their formulations if they get out of the film business. However, while Fuji is constantly downsizing and jacking up their prices to ridiculous levels, since filing for bankruptcy and spinning off Kodak Alaris, Kodak's film business has been up. I think they hit rock-bottom and are now pulling themselves up by the bootstraps. Fuji hasn't hit bottom and may just close up shop due to their stupid policies.

Secondly, I didn't say anything about this or that color film, just film. If you are such a faggot that you can't possibly shoot b&w, fuck off. Or even better, learn the tri-color process. It's a lot of fun and opens up some interesting avenues for photos.
>>
>>2807427
>"film is dead!"
>gets schooled
>"b-but in my mind it feelz like its ded!"

grow up.
>>
Hey OP, sorry to make the same question another anon asked >>2788484, but the thread you linked him to has expired.

Also, how do you process your scanned negatives? Curves on GIMP or some sort of plugin/another software?

Thanks for a great thread btw.
>>
>>2807457
>Two things - firstly, Kodak/Fuji could (and should) sell their formulations if they get out of the film business.
they can't just sell the formulas and call it good. there's a ton of institutional knowledge that only exists in the heads of old guys.
>>
>>2807521

how do you make sure the ground plane the film is mounted on is fucking plain and that the sensor is perfectly parallel with the plane?
>>
File: IMG_9274 - IMG_9277mini.jpg (344 KB, 1063x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9274 - IMG_9277mini.jpg
344 KB, 1063x800
Reupped with correct crop.
>>2807501
I use a Canon 550D and a 100mm Macro pointed downward at a pane of glass on which the film sits.
I use a remote flash to illuminate the film from underneath, with plenty of diffusion material in between.
I convert the raw files from the camera with the Canon software, and edit the jpegs using GIMP. I stitch several shots for medium format film such as this 645 frame of Astia.
>>2807386
No third rails there m8, it was a level crossing.
>>2807486
>>2807457
>>2807427
>>2807386
>>2807364
>>2807344
>>2807320
>>2807150
You guys enjoying yourselves?
>>2807531
I don't make sure.
I eyeball it.
Then I use 10x live view to check the focus at f2,8 either side of the frame, and then when I actually take the shot, i'm stopped down to f8, so depth of field is ample.
>>
>>2807516
You're a fucking moron.
>hurr durr we can't do chemistry without that old guy running the machine!!!
yeah okay
>>
File: notastia.jpg (638 KB, 1060x800) Image search: [Google]
notastia.jpg
638 KB, 1060x800
>>2807537

its like you hate colors, for some reason.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:04:03 19:51:03
Image Width1060
Image Height800
>>
>>2807566
An absolutely different mood. I prefer OP's version.
>>
File: IMG_9242 - IMG_9245mini.jpg (149 KB, 605x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9242 - IMG_9245mini.jpg
149 KB, 605x800
Hateful light leak in action.
At least in the area I was staying there were so many dilapidated light industrial type buildings.
I wish Abe would MJGA.

>>2807566
You need to go back.
I was actually tossing up whether or not I'd taken too much blue out of my edit.
>>
File: IMG_9221 - IMG_9226mini.jpg (206 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9221 - IMG_9226mini.jpg
206 KB, 600x800
>>2807566
And here's one pretty much straight out of camera, only the most subtle bump to contrast and warmth.
>A S T I A
>S
>T
>I
>A
>>
Japanese resident here, don't fall into the trap of going to Tokyo and thinking you "know" Japan. Tokyo is like a freak special district compared to the rest of this country. I've lived all over Kyushu and now I'm in Gifu, and out here film is very much still alive. It's easy to find processing, used equipment is cheap and reasonably plentiful, and disposable film cameras are still fairly common. I was down in Okinawa last week and even down there there were disposable cameras available all over the place. I see tons of older folks out and about still happily shooting film with ancient beat up compacts and crappy rangefinders. Outside of Tokyo Japan is still pretty much living in the 80's technologically. It's like a third world country sometimes.

Last year I saw a pair of Nikon F2s in a secondhand store and I regularly kick myself for not picking one up. Both were reported functional, one beat up for 3,000 yen and one in better shape for 6,000.

You wouldn't go to LA or NYC and think the whole USA was like that, would you?
>>
>>2809070
This guy knows what's up.

Except this part:
>You wouldn't go to LA or NYC and think the whole USA was like that, would you?
My interactions with foreigners suggest that they do indeed think that way.
>>
>>2809070
I want to believe you anon. With all the luddite attitudes, fax machines and computers still running Windows XP, film not being around too just doesn't feel right.
>>
>>2809070
Really I only travelled to Kagoshima and Yakushima, but I struggled to find film there. There was a tiny lab on Yakushima, but he had fuck all, just a few 3x27pks of Superia Premium.
When I really insisted, he came up with a pro-pack of 160NS in 120, but he really didn't want to sell it, either because it was expired or it was his own film. As far as I'm concerned, disposables don't count.
It's all death-throes stuff; an enthusiast living there would still have to take their business elsewhere, at the end of the day.
>>
File: IMG_9260 - IMG_9263mini.jpg (224 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9260 - IMG_9263mini.jpg
224 KB, 800x800
>>2808957
Out of focus and very underexposed cat photo...
>>
File: JapanBW049.jpg (253 KB, 1187x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW049.jpg
253 KB, 1187x800
>>2809376

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:04:07 22:54:25
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1187
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2809070
Ditto. The random general second hand stores around me have damn good deals and I'm always tempted to buy shit I don't need but haven't yet (aside from a Olympus Mju for 500yen). I also have a tiny mom and pop lab that's a 3 minute walk away that develop my c41 35mm for 200yen.

Besides that and the tasty food here, Japan licks butthole though. You're spot on about it being like a third world country sometimes.
>>
>>2807537
>to check the focus at f2,8 either side of the frame, and then when I actually take the shot, i'm stopped down to f8, so depth of field is ample.
>check the focus on 2.8, take the shot on f8

I don't get it. Why would you need to check focus on 2.8 if you're taking picture oin f8 anyway?
>>
>>2811070
When you're not taking the photo, the lens is wide open to let all the light in for composing, so no matter your aperture, you're seeing a wide open (f/2.8) focal plane.
>>
File: JapanBW168.jpg (341 KB, 1190x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW168.jpg
341 KB, 1190x800
>>2811072
>>2811070
In live view, my camera stops down to the selected aperture.
I focus wide open, so that I can see more clearly the distinction between what's in focus and out of focus.
Even at f8, at these close macro distances being a mm out of focus will rob you of sharpness.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:04:10 11:50:41
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1190
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2812051
which camera?
>>
File: JapanBW347.jpg (211 KB, 539x800) Image search: [Google]
JapanBW347.jpg
211 KB, 539x800
>>2812700
All of the black and white is either the Canon AE-1 or F-1.

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number1132529712
Image Created2016:04:11 12:22:59
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width539
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2744265
prices have risen dramatically for film in hong kong as well, in the shop I frequent on stanley street film prices are up 20% from maybe 2 years ago.

I've found chung pui in stanley street the cheapest for fresh film, dot well in tst is not bad and have more expired and discontinued stuff but it's marginally more expensive.

would love to hear about any other film shops in hong kong that have good prices.
>>
>>2778887
someone please tell me what film this was shot on
>>
File: IMG_8544mini.jpg (312 KB, 1199x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8544mini.jpg
312 KB, 1199x800
>>2813105
Agfa CT100 Precisa.

Image Width1199
Image Height800
>>
>>2812739
>I've found chung pui in stanley street the cheapest for fresh film, dot well in tst is not bad and have more expired and discontinued stuff but it's marginally more expensive.

I might check chung pui. The only place I go to in HK to buy film is in dot well. Their prices are pretty much ok.
>>
Going to be in Kyoto by the end of the week. Where go for camera stuff? Haven't been there in ages, and wasn't much a camera person back then, so I don't know what to expect. Taking along a Minolta AF-C and Holga.

Hotel is right next to the JR Kyoto Station, if there's any notable camera shops nearby.
>>
>>2814163
There's a Yodobashi not far from the station, search "Yodobashi Kyoto" on Google maps because the stupid fucking spam filter won't let me post the gmap links I have.

As for scoring killer deals those are pretty hard to find in the big cities. Yodobashi's usually got a decent used section and being in an urban center the selection will probably be pretty good.

You can also try Sofmap while you're around the station; they're probably less likely to have old stuff but I've seen good deals there on modern equipment. Got a Canon S100 from Sofmap a few years ago and it served faithfully with no problems for years until Canon's trademark lens error killed it. "sofmap kyoto" will bring that one up.
>>
File: IMG_8732mini.jpg (405 KB, 1185x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8732mini.jpg
405 KB, 1185x800
>>2813553

Image Width1185
Image Height800
>>
>>2813739

chung pui has a large fujifilm sign above the entrance can't miss it. was significantly less expensive before but like I said prices have gone up in recent times, haven't checked dot well recently for prices.

there's also a shop on the 2nd or 3rd floor of sim city in mong kok, that stocks rollei, adox film, as well as expired ektachrome fairly consistently. but prices aren't good

wing shing photo supplies is also nearby in mong kok, but I recall prices are fairly average to above average....

another shop at the start of stanley street (lkf end I think) that sells 4x5 fujifilm boxs at a decent price, haven't checked that one recently either though
>>
>>2814163
I live real close to there. Not much in the way of used film gear in Kyoto. Take a quick train to Osaka and you'll find a number of stores close to Umeda station.
>>
File: IMG_8688mini.jpg (377 KB, 1172x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8688mini.jpg
377 KB, 1172x800
>>2814227

Image Width1172
Image Height800
>>
File: Japan192.jpg (267 KB, 539x800) Image search: [Google]
Japan192.jpg
267 KB, 539x800
>>2814929

Image Width539
Image Height800
>>
File: IMG_9518 - IMG_9522mini.jpg (508 KB, 1065x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9518 - IMG_9522mini.jpg
508 KB, 1065x800
>>2815762
>>
>>2752443
How can I achieve this style bw film? Currently using an olympus trip 35
>>
>>2810349
I feel really strange looking at this photo. It sounds kind of stupid, but I feel this strong discord between the film format and the subjects. It gives me a feeling I'm not sure how to describe. I've seen work from some photographers addressing the way technology plays into our lives, but this does it even better for me despite lack of intention. The photo is just okay, but subject and format give it a lot of power from my perspective.
>>
>>2818406
Cheers bro.
>>2817578
The film is HP5, and the 'effect', if you can call it that, was just me fucking up the development.
I was loading steel reels for the first time, and I foolishly didn't youtube it first, so some of the film jumped out of it's groove on the reel and stuck against itself, causing uneven development.
>>
>>2814185
Found Yodobashi. Found Bic ... And of all things, I bought sake from there. Saw another camera shop on the corner near Yodobashi but it was closed by the time I went, I think I saw the word "used" on their signs.

After visiting Fushimi Inari Taisha (shrine one stop down frommkyoto station) I stumbled upon a photo studio worth a wall full of old'ish film cameras on display but not for sale. Would've taken a pic except the lady seemed annoyed by me when I first walked in with an ice cream cone.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 113

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.