[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where to find engineers that create cameras?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: 3.jpg (563 KB, 901x1200) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
563 KB, 901x1200
I'm looking to start up my own company but I've been trying to find engineers that create camera and they are very hard to find.

I've been suggested to go to camera companies such as Canon or Nixon and ask but why would they give me their engineers?

Any other suggestions?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width901
Image Height1200
>>
you need to offer the engineer more money and more benefits then the current company he/she is working for. But judging bu your post you're either kid or an idiot.

>canooon kneekooon gimme engineeer plzplz
>>
>>2723254
Or a better opportunity in general. You can get the thousands of engeneers that wish they could have worked for Canon or Nikon, but they can only hire 20 people or whatever, so you can get to the ones who want to work on cameras, and find the ones who are willing to take a chance on a guy who visits /p/ and his great ideas...

the problem is going to be startup capital though. The stuff inside a camera is pretty expensive to make, and only made manageable by economies of scale.

Get a petapixel article about it. They'll blast the fuck out of it, and people will contact you. Be sure to make it trendy and indy.
>>
>>2723291
Not a bad idea, thanks.

Would be approaching a big company that already has a similar product, to ask for their help/work in collab work?
>>
>>2723295
Probably not. They'd want to just buy your idea, and most likely, just sit on it so that they didn't have additional competition for the products they already sell.
>>
>>2723299
So what's the best thing to do? The idea is really good and has huge potential.
>>
>>2723301
How much capital do you have?
>>
>>2723332
around $70 and some stuff that I can sell
>>
>>2723332
I can get up to 200k to start off.
>>
>>2723251
in japan.
because only japan makes camera nowadays.
>>
>>2723343
>$200.000

Forget about it, anon. Engineering a Camera from scratch without having the right tools and the staff for it will cost you $5 million or even way more than that. Some Sheikh from Saudi-Arabia once ordered a custom made lens from Zeiss.. for several millions of Dollars.
>>
>>2723343
I say you could try patenting it, then go for crowd funding. It's your only option to be honest.
>>
>>2723382
yes but skip the patenting
>>
What's your idea?
>>
File: 1447131083974.jpg (6 KB, 230x220) Image search: [Google]
1447131083974.jpg
6 KB, 230x220
>>2723343
>$200,000
things like camera lenses cost around that just to develop, let aside the production, i saw you on /g/ yesterday and judging by how you try to start i'd really recommend you instead start a business where you sell modified branded cameras, much like what hassenblad doeswith the sony cameras, but then again, you would need a little bit more than 200k and a lot of charisma/renown for a company to actually allow you to sell their cameras rebranded, said this, even then success is not secured
>>
>>2723408
probably Lomo II
>>
File: 1445822394831.jpg (93 KB, 523x714) Image search: [Google]
1445822394831.jpg
93 KB, 523x714
Can I smell isi's hair when I put my eye to the viewfinder? No? Then I dont want it.
>>
>>2723562

Just smear low quality shake and totino's all over it, same thing bruh.
>>
>>2723251
UPWORK

i'm an industrial designer if you need any halp
>>
>>2723251
go to engineering school, its cheaper.
>>
>>2723343
Oh geez. Kek.
>>
>create camera
Can mean anything from silicon design and lens grinding to sticking an off-the-shelf module in a box.
Most of it can be done by more generalists. Most competent digital EEs should be able to hook up a sensor module to some SoC and SD card holder. Most competent MEs should be able to design some device to hold a lens the right distance from the sensor and a place for the shutter release button. Most competent software developers with some level of experience with embedded systems should be able to hack together something to get the data from one place to the other. If you want custom lens designs you'll probably need an EP or somebody more specialized. You could get most of the talent you need hiring straight from college.
>>2723343
LOL. You could probably do a small batch of holga tier cameras using premade components for that much. You'd need one EE/software generalist type for about 6 months and the rest would go to having PCBs and the plastic bodies manufactured.
>>
I'm an electrical engineering student, third year. My experience is not at all applied, but I'd be very interested in doing work on a project like this. Not sure I'm capable of producing professional material, but I can pick up software very quickly, I can code, have designed hardware, I'm familiar with the general ideas of photography and would be very willing to do research to participate more productively. Once again, not a PE, not even a full engineer, but would be interested. For free on my spare time, and if you needed me more than that, for sure cheaper than a pro.
>>
>>2723251
Totally unrelated but does anyone have more photos like this? This is super cool
>>
Your best bet is to develop a toy camera. There's a market for that, especially with the end of the Holga.
>>
File: lenses.jpg (472 KB, 2016x1194) Image search: [Google]
lenses.jpg
472 KB, 2016x1194
>>2724981
I have this.

Would it work to just approach some chinese manufacturers and tell them what you want? Plenty of people on ebay get custom shit made in small batches, would it work with something as complicated as a camera?
>>
>>2723251

you need passionate engineers.
>>
File: lkVCK.jpg (363 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
lkVCK.jpg
363 KB, 1440x900
>>2724981
Ask Hans Hansen
>>
File: 1431799286475.jpg (38 KB, 540x801) Image search: [Google]
1431799286475.jpg
38 KB, 540x801
>>2723251
>why would they give me their engineers?
>>
>>2723343

As you've heard already from others, that isn't anywhere near enough.

Even if you were able to outsource all the "expensive" components like AMD does with their chip fabrication and Nikon does with their sensors, you're still going to be stuck with a camera that's no better than the ones already on the market for twice the price that has worse product support and most importantly, is something that no one is going to buy.
>>
>>2723535
>hassenblad doeswith the sony cameras

Could you elaborate? I'm not familiar with Hasselblad's business practices.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.