[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to photograph ballet dancers. I'm an underweight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
I want to photograph ballet dancers. I'm an underweight 30 year old man with long hair. My gear consists of two old 35mm film cameras that I bought at a thrift shop and a cheap tripod. I only recently picked up the hobby, so I don't have a portfolio of any kind. I don't already know anybody who does ballet or who knows ballet dancers. But I want to photograph ballet dancers more than anything.

So, how the fuck am I supposed to accomplish this?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1D Mark IV
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width4896
Image Height3264
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2012:09:17 18:14:17
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating4000
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance15.40 m
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length155.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width3672
Image Height2448
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2709838
Are you American or European? Is there a ballet scene in your nearest city? The most logical step is literally to call up a place that does ballet and tell them exactly what you just told us. You'll find that all performers, including ballet people, require a certain amount publicity and photos, even if those photos are just for their facebook page. It could even work out better for them than it does for you if you take their photos. So don't be afraid of getting in touch with them.

Try and start small. A teaching group would be good.

Even if you don't have a portfolio, you should definitely setup a flickr or similar account so that you can send them a link when you get in touch. It'll make things easier for you if they can look at your previous work.
>>
>>2709843

I'm American. I know there's a ballet scene here since I've been to a few performances with my mother when I was younger, but I haven't looked into ballet studios in my area yet. I'm honestly mainly concerned that I won't be taken seriously and that they'll think that I'm just some kind of pervert creep or something.
>>
>>2709847
that this worries you makes you seem like a perverted creep.
>>
>>2709838
Cut your fucking hair into something presentable, I'm not kidding. Because without the portfolio there's almost no chance you won't be perceived as a creep.

Anyway, you'll find that as a photographer(even with film), a lot of people will graciously let you take pictures of them, especially if they stand to gain free publicity AKA money.

Talk serious, get taken serious. All you have to do is lay out what you want to do and why it works for all parties.

For the record, photographing dancers is pretty fun. I actually stopped being a dick and attending my little sister's recitals when I got into photo.
>>
Cant you just go to a ballet performance (like buy a ticket) and take photos of that?
>>
When they ask why you want to shoot ballet, you'd better have a damn good reason. Know some ballet history, know some famous ballet works, dancers, etc. Have a concrete reason for ballet versus other forms of dance. If you want access and the best reason you have for wanting to shoot is "you have strong calves and a pretty costume," then, yes, you're going to get shut down.
>>
>>2709838
Find dancers, ask them.
Repeat.
>>
File: Pedobear.png (47 KB, 200x324) Image search: [Google]
Pedobear.png
47 KB, 200x324
>>2709838
>>
>>2709838
I actually have a ballet shoot in the works right now. It will not happen until after the holidays as one of my model ballerinas is in the city's production of The Nutcracker. Where are you in the U.S., OP?
>>
>>2710196

I'm in AZ. Sorry for the late reply...And thanks everybody else (who gave helpful responses) for the advice.
>>
>>2710345

I am on the Gulf Coast, so if you had been anywhere on the East I-10 corridor you could have driven in. Unfortunately AZ would be flying distance. Very beautiful girls, but not worth it unless you have money to blow. Advice: Join your local city camera club. Meet people. Learn your camera and practice with it. A ballet shoot can be tricky with the lighting and motion. Clubs often organize group outings and shoots, so you may find someone who shoots people or performances to join up with and learn from.
>>
>>2709838
try not being creepy.
>>
>>2709950
Taking pictures during performances is generally discouraged because it's distracting to the other attendees.
OP you're probably going to get the cops called on you but I wish you luck.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.