[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is your favorite uncle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7
File: tumblr_ny4viqVEL81qa42jro1_1280.jpg (400 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ny4viqVEL81qa42jro1_1280.jpg
400 KB, 1280x1920
Uncle Terry just published Miley on his website, I think now is a great opportunity to discuss the composition of his work.

Uncle Terry general.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Camera Raw 8.6 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:11:20 16:53:00
>>
link?
>>
http://terrysdiary.com/page/2
>>
http://imgur.com/a/npaS6
>>
Didn't we have a tread about him last month?
Also do you think he fucked her?
>>
>>2708940

We used to have a Terryposter that had a pretty much nonstop Terry General. So having one "last month" is considerably slower than it used to be.
>>
>>2708900
this picture is shit
>>
>>2708957
Yeah but it was like, the only SFW pic I could post... My choice would have been the full body shot in the surrender pose.
>>
>>2708920
Dat armpit hair...
>>
Why couldn't she get naked while she was still hot god damn it
>>
>>2708966
Because 4chan is so PC right?
>>
>>2708969
kek
>>
File: TaKen.jpg (368 KB, 1060x1500) Image search: [Google]
TaKen.jpg
368 KB, 1060x1500
>>2708970
more like I don't want the nigger /p/ mods to ban me for NSFW content.

You can post them on here your self if you are so unafraid.

Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1060
Image Height1500
>>
>>2708969
When she was still a child you mean?
>>
>>2708900

Miley is a stupid young whore. I wouldn't fuck her with "Fro Knows" dick. Uncle Terry is an idiot.
>>
>>2708978
>>>/r9k/

>>2708940
probably not. Terry seems to fuck young models who will do anything to advance their careers. Miley is well established. Unless she just likes old cock or something

>>2708957
no it's not

>>2708975
welcome to 4chan
>>
I'm going to be completely honest, I don't think he is very good. In fact he's shit, and so is that woman people seem to like so much, Annie Leibovitz
>>
>>2708982

nah, he's pretty good.
>>
>>2708984
what is your favourite of his work?
>>
>>2708978
>>2708982
lol niggas hating on big uncle T
>>
>>2708957

All of his photos are shit
>>
>>2708984

I consistently see more interesting stuff posted in recent photos threads here.
>>
>>2708986

It's all pretty good.

Anybody who can get a pop starlet in their prime to post naked with a strap-on is obviously a fucking genius.
>>
It must be really hard taking pictures that capture the sex appeal of people the media tells us are sexy every day. He must be really talented. I wonder how he does it. That photoshoot with the extremely rich and attractive woman really turned me on for some reason, it must have been something he did. This guy has a good eye for rich attractive women in revealing clothing, The way he just puts them against a plain white background so he cant possibly fuck anything up is genius. I'm very impressed by his body of work.
>>
>>2708995
Dingus, I hate you because you're making me almost defend TR. If you think his photos are about capturing sexiness,you're a literal retard.
>>
gonzo couture

when you're that edgy talent just gets in the way
>>
File: 1445089590001.jpg (25 KB, 510x440) Image search: [Google]
1445089590001.jpg
25 KB, 510x440
>>2708920
She looks like Bryan Ferry. But with a botched nose.
>>
>>2708995
I think he made he made her look like the trollop she is
>>
>>2709032

Nigger, he's forgotten more about photography more than you'll ever know.
>>
>>2708995
There's a lot more to photography than making something ugly look good. To show us all how easy it it is to do what Terry does, get Miley Cyrus nude and sexually explicit in front of your camera. That'll shut pretty much everybody up.
>>
>>2709063

Ahahahaha
keep fapping, pinko
>>
>>2709067

his stuff is the least fapworthy photography i've ever seen. i have literally never been aroused by a photo he's taken.
>>
>>2709074
is this hyperbole or not, dude?
>>
>>2709097

It isn't. I don't think his stuff is at all sexy, but that doesn't mean i don't think he's a genius.
>>
File: image.gif (914 KB, 500x217) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
914 KB, 500x217
Why the fuck is this creepy geriatric hipster so fucking popular his work is 1000% hype with no substance. I dont understand it all. I dont understand why you faggots like him so much. Everything is shit. There is no appeal to his work. If you think he's talented you probably think so ironically and tricked yourself into believing it because you're a faggot hipster just like he is.

White background, celebrity or whore in a stupid pose, forward flash. Wow it's fucking nothing. The photography equivalent to the first "modern artists" who laughed all the way to the bank because people were served bullshit on a plate and liked it to be hip.

Fuck Terry's pedophile rapist looking ass, fuck this thread and fuck you OP
>>
>>2709101
>Why the fuck is this creepy geriatric hipster so fucking popular
Because he had money, connections and a good marketing team. His image is a carefully crafted bad boy. Edgy enough to appeal to the teenagers that the fashions he shoots are aimed at. Disreputable enough to be loathed by pedo-scared parents.

In short Terry is just a cog in the corporate marketing machine.

in b4 yes he made lots of money, but that changes nothing
>>
>>2709101
>>2709124
it's funny how he's famous and well paid for his work and talented and you hate it but everyone else is wrong. get a grip, you're mediocre and he's not. that's why you're talking about him and not the other way around.
>>
>>2708991
>All of his photos are shit

That's just like your opinion, man.
>>
>>2709128
>talented
I've nothing against him being famous and well paid but his talent isn't photography
>>
>>2709128
same fucking shill answer everytime
>>
>>2709140
>his talent isn't photography
it is though. photography goes beyond knowing the technical side, knowing how to expose images correctly and compose them well. it involves networking, model direction, creating interesting imagines, etc. whether you want to accept it, he's a talented guy.
>>
>>2709128
I have to agree there. Everyone here is always quick to jump on Terry or some other 'celeb' photographer and say things like "oh it's so easy to mimic his style...I could do that in my sleep" et yet they're never the ones to post anything worthwhile. It's kind of like how we used to have a lot of those threads where someone would go to hugbook and post screencaps of galleries 4 photos that they disliked simply because those galleries had tons of people liking them.

Yes, we know popularity isn't necessarily a marker of quality but some of you guys never put your money where your mouth is.
>>
>>2709143
the most obvious answer is of course a shill answer to you. i think your being mad for some weird reason is interfering with your ability to use logic.
>>
>>2709147
>>2709128
agreed completely

the guy is clearly talented and creative enough, even if part of that package is his marketing. he gets subjects no one else gets and his style is distinctive.

if you think it's easy or there's a formula to put all that together you're really naive, by all means feel free to attain his level of success we'll be right here
>>
>>2709158
I've never met the guy but he also obviously has some kind of charisma to get the results he does out of his models. A good photographer knows how to work with his subjects. Maybe that's also what makes him 'sleazy' but it's definitely something that sets him apart from his detractors ITT
>>
>>2709161
"obviously some kind of charisma" is the understatement of the year. and you're right of course. anyone who has ever tried posing people knows how difficult that can be. part of it is finding the right talent too.
>>
Lol all these salty fags who think it's "marketing" when he's already had a successful career for longer than half the board has been alive.
>>
>>2708900

The portrait/fashion work is pretty good. It's pretty easy to do but it's cool.
But I think the rest is shit. All of those shitty photos of signs look like straight out of a RPT.
>>
>>2708991
Pretty fucking much. They are not even shit in an interesting way, they are as boring and typical as a mainstream pop song.
>>
So being a successful photographer is 50% photo skill and the other 50% is being a world class entrepreneur. Sounds about right.
>>
>>2709145
>networking, model direction, creating interesting imagines, etc.

one of these things is not like the other, one of these things doesn't belong
>>
File: tumblr_nxw3x7XbED1rhn6zno1_500.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxw3x7XbED1rhn6zno1_500.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
Graffiti artist Lush recons Terry ripped him off.
>>
Seriously, is this just a joke that no one has let me in on yet? This isn't good. Why does everyone love it?
>>
>>2709503
Which one, pray tell?

They're all vital to his success, and they're all vital to being a successful portrait/fashion photographer.

You can hate Terry all you. (I personally do because he seems like a cunt.) But he's fucking good at what he does. Check out stuff. Not his white-background-with-harsh-flash goofing around stuff. Check out his actual magazine spreads and cover photos. Hate him all you want, but actually hate his professional work, not the times he's taking snapshits of his naked friends.
>>
>>2709529
Terry's a pretty good photographer. He knows his shit, but the white-background-flash thing is about intentionally letting go to focus on getting the subject to loosen up. Also fug models
>>
File: terry oprah.jpg (270 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
terry oprah.jpg
270 KB, 1280x853
>hurr he only sexually exploits his subjects why must all his snapshits be of sexual nature. you shills don't know good photography. REEE!

that's how some of you sound.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image Width6048
Image Height4032
Compression SchemeUnknown
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution75 dpcm
Vertical Resolution75 dpcm
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2012:10:08 17:11:43
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1536
Image Height1024
>>
>>2708993

>I can't name a specific piece of work because I'm just an edgy teen who thinks he's cool therefore I'll say 'it's all good'
>>
>>2708900
I appreciate the consistency of his style and I enjoy his portraiture in general, but all of the allegations of sexual assault and inappropriate conduct put me off.
>>
>>2709578

More like, I'm thirty years old and his work is more known for thematic consistency rather than any one single photo, so it doesn't make sense to pick out one photo when it's the entire oeuvre that counts.

You wouldn't ask me to pick out one single photo of the Becher's, right? I mean, you could, but you would be a fucking idiot. It's the same thing with Terry. The Bechers shoot water towers and industrial works framed almost identically so as to draw comparison between the inscrutable and poorly understood differences between them. Richardson does the same thing with pop culture magnates and coked-out models.
>>
>>2709529

I've been wondering the same thing for a while.
>>
>>2709529
Of course it's a joke. The punchline is the world we live in.
>>
He might be aa creepy perv and all but he is really good at getting his subjects' personalities to show through.
>>
>>2709753
>getting his subjects' personalities to show through

Smiley Virus as a trollop? Suuuure he had to work hard to get that to show through
>>
There's two things I'd say about Terry.

Honestly, doing portraits really isn't that technically difficult (in terms of lighting, framing, etc). I do think what's going to seperate good portraits from great ones is how well they work with the subject. Of course there's rules of thumb, but directing a model, making them feel natural, comfortable, can be quite difficult. I think Terry's always great with this part.

The other is that his portraits (for me) kind of get a similar critique as a lot of more abstact paintings. I don't at all think his work is on par with those artists (Mondrain, Pollock, Basquiat, etc) but they get a lot of flack for being too simplistic, too easy. It's easy to see Pollock's paintings as mere splashes of paint, but a lot of people see something more in it. It's simple, but refined. I think Terry's work comes off as similarly basic, but I also think there's a certain level of depth there too.

Pretty much any successful artist got that way by finding their style, their niche, and just hammering the fuck out of it. Regardless of whether or not you like the style, it's hard to argye that there's anyone better at it than him.
>>
File: 5173jyNh1VL._SL1000_.jpg (34 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
5173jyNh1VL._SL1000_.jpg
34 KB, 1000x1000
>>2709770
>it's hard to argye that there's anyone better at it than him.

Amazon do a pretty good job of it
>>
itt faggots get mad jelly because uncle terry boned/got high with/had an absolutely legen-fucking-dary time with someone who's cool as shit, and then got paid to take their photo
>>
>>2709617

jesus christ cunt what a pretentious load of fucking drivel.

He is garbage and if you are 30 then you need to grow the fuck up.
>>
>>2709922

>upset about naked celebrities
>telling other people to grow up

k.
>>
>>2709922
>He is garbage
In what way is he garbage? Be specific, and be sure to judge his work on its intent, and content, vs what you have decided his intent should be.
>>
>>2709802
You are judging a photo on its technical complexity, rather than its content and storytelling ability. It's okay, you are on /p/, the home of the insufferable gear fags, but you'll notice, there is nothing happening in that product photo of a dildo, whereas in the OP images in question, there is a mega famous super star performing explicit sexual acts at the direction of a master portrait photographer. These are vastly different.

to prove how easy and basic it is, please do a photo shoot of Taylor Swift giving pretend head to a police baton with a strap-on. That would clear it up pretty quickly.

Reminder that; if the only thing making your photos unique is where you put your lights, you're not a photographer, you're a technician.
>>
>>2710080
>there is an abject attention whore performing explicit sexual acts because her agent told her that Terry Richardson was a master portrait photographer.

FTFY

Why can't TR do the Taylor Swift shoot? After all he has the contacts and it would prove that it was his skill as a photographer that convinces a celebrity to drop their knickers and not the celebrities own desperation for publicity and notoriety.

In b4 b-but Obama ... because the president wanted to appear hip and switched on to appeal to the kids maaaan.

You've been hoodwinked by a carefully crafted bad-boy image whose work is as shallow and uninspired as his subjects. The Justin Beiber of photography. And your attempts to defend his honour reveal you to be nothing more than an immature fanboi clinging the illusion someday, perhaps, if you fap to his pictures enough, you'll get to be just like HIM
>>
>>2710112

Except he's been consistently doing this for like thirty years. How old are you again? 20? 19? Your whole argument that he's some flash-in-the-pan convergence of marketing and luck holds absolutely no water, and shows how little you know about photographic art in general.
>>
>>2710112
If you think there's anything "crafted" about TR, you're a fool. He's a don't give a fuck hedonist. He had the connections to parlay that into a career, but seriously, he's just doing him. Nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>2710130
>Except he's been consistently doing this for like thirty years.

Yes, he's a shrewd businessman who has been working on his brand a long time and has made lots of money. I have no argument with that.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.