[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dubious moral / ethical photography
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
What line would you not cross in photography?

What shot would you not take, print, or show because of a moral code or personal taste, even though it would be perfectly legal?

or do photographers even have a responsibility to self censor based on some abstract ethical code?
>>
File: R0001394.jpg (575 KB, 1000x1510) Image search: [Google]
R0001394.jpg
575 KB, 1000x1510
If a scene or subject is way too cliche, and I mean so overdone that every shitsnap flickr page by a nerd with a 50mm+rabal who thinks he's the next HCB has a picture just like it, I probably wouldn't even lift the camera up to my face.

I also generally avoid pictures of the homeless because exploitation but I make an exception if a homeless person comes up to me or does something interesting, since that way I'm photographing the person, not his homelessness.

Other than that, pretty much everyone is fair game.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelGR
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:05:17 19:01:39
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.0
Brightness5.7 EV
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.30 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
>>
Shit like this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lilyvampwolf
https://www.flickr.com/photos/voron-a

Fucking wierd cunts
>>
>>2703268
ceepee thread?
>>
>>2703268

Pictures of homeless is just not cool to me. You're not saying anything about them that everyone doesn't already know. Unless you're getting to know them for candid shots of them smiling or something, then leave them be.

I won't trespass just to take pictures either.
>>
>>2703277
fully agree with the second part, and your one of the only other person to ever post real street on here
>>
>>2703279
Looks like im not sleeping tonight
>>
File: Capture2.jpg (75 KB, 935x599) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.jpg
75 KB, 935x599
I don't think there's anything I wouldn't take photos of on moral grounds.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (67 KB, 934x597) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
67 KB, 934x597
>>2703338
I've stopped taking photos of homeless people, though (unless they're doing something interesting). Only because it's super cliche.
>>
>>2703338
>Cute <3
>mfw
>>
I had the perfect shot, overcast day, window blowing behind me, steep hill that emptied out into the turbulent waters of Nova Scotia, no foot traffic, one car on the other side of the street.

My subject a sleeping homeless guy perfectly lined up against the wall.

And I just kept on walking, and I sort of regret it but morals I guess.
>>
>>2703346
Wind* Damn phone
>>
>>2703279
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/voron-a

>page 1 of 215
>215 pages
>215

That is 2150 pictures of fucking dolls. Only the ones she has uploaded.
>>
>>2703349
Oh I know, it's fucked. Keep in mind that those two profiles were the first two I clicked on after searching "dolls", there are thousands more accounts just like those.
>>
File: 18044332238_fcec909845_h.jpg (742 KB, 1600x1280) Image search: [Google]
18044332238_fcec909845_h.jpg
742 KB, 1600x1280
>What line would you not cross in photography?

>What line would you not cross in any form of art?

There are no lines in the communication of ideas, opinions or emotions. Offending someone simply means that your work has managed to do its job.
>>
>>2703354
You come off as edgy, like you're contestating the butthurt hugbox contemporary idiocy by going into the opposite extreme.

So you're saying you'd take your time to snap a photo of an old man clutching his chest in a heart attack rather than ignoring your camera to call 911 immidieately? I think those are the fringe cases OP meant. Offending? This is 4chan, everyone snuck at least one peek at /b/ at some point, c'mon.
>>
>>2703367
>doing one or the other
>not doing both
Comeon, senpai. It's the current year. Learn to multitask.
>>
Morally, there's probably nothing I wouldn't photograph. Documentation is a massive part of history, and the more fucked up something is, the less chance it has of being documented and exposed, being a part of that would be an honour.

Let's take child murder as an example, a photo of myra hyndley burying an axe into a toddlers skull would make for an image with important historical significance, whereas one of her coming out of court is little more than consumerism; despite the fact they both are from the same time, of the same person and tell the same story. This is my thoughts on photos of hobos and the like, shot of one asleep on a park bench is pedestrian, boring and exploitive, however a shot of a homeless guy being forcibly evicted from a squat, housing association or council building tells a much larger story, maybe one worthy of exposure.

But no, I don't feel I have any moral or ethical boundaries as a photographer, on that same note I don't have much fear when shooting; I've been to the roughest parts of my city with plenty of pricey gear and had plenty of the locals try and intimidate me and question why I'm there. It hasn't stopped me though.
>>
>>2703392
pic related etc~

On a serious note; It's interesting to see positions on the subject such as yours. Really makes me wonder what is the basis for your philosophy - is it striving for raw unfiltered truth above all else, a personal brand of callousness or indifference, wanting to influence reality/emotions with your works?
I've been always fascinated, if morbidly, about the men behind pictures taken seconds after bombings, accidents, of hurt people, animals, etc.
>>
>>2703409
The incident, whatever it may be, has happened/is happening, I'm not going to risk my life to save someone, but I'm not going to miss the opportunity to raise awareness and offer people a photo that is incredibly challenging.

I'm not morbid, but I have been very close to death, that experience changed who I am and what I'm afraid of. Failure to me is more concerning than death, death can happen to anyone at any time; Failure is all on you, I'm a photographer, if I don't take the difficult photos then I have failed myself.

I wanted to go into war photography until the media became the hot ticket to be hostages and now it's mainly active duty soldiers that get trained how to use a camera, as a pacifist, it doesn't suit me.
>>
>>2703367
>So you're saying you'd take your time to snap a photo of an old man clutching his chest in a heart attack rather than ignoring your camera to call 911 immidieately?

Well I think that area of discussion is fairly basic - Very few people would breach modern western moral principles to such an extent as to watch someone expire without trying to help them. What you have to question here is why you are taking the photograph in the first place. Is it as a work of art? Or merely as a document? This variable alters the judgement on whether or not taking the photograph can be justified.

Taking a photograph of someone being murdered, for instance, can be a powerful document for historical consideration and rumination, but it would generally sit poorly as a work of art. Art is generally considered as a positive force for enlightenment, idea reinforcement or reconsideration, but not as a window to blank hostility.

There are, of course, exceptions to this idea - such as the vietnamese soldier killing an insurgent with a pistol (Eddie Adams) which is seen by some as an important document, and by some as a work of Art. However the fact that the photograph has a strong moral story doesnt give it merit enough to be categorised as Art.
>>
>>2703467
>Art is generally considered as a positive force for enlightenment,

Art is not always positive, in fact it rarely is outside of religious art. Look at Goya, Jacques-Louis David, or Eugène Delacroix, for better or worse their art was revolutionary. In a different way, contemporary artists are not much better,I mean WTF is a dead lamb cut in half?

Hard doesn't have to hold to the same moral standards that journalism does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVTDypgmFCM

that being said, I have been in a situation where someone has snuffed it in front of me, 2 people got on cell phones, 3 or 4 people argued about what position to put him in and a half dozen people ran around shouting "OMG HELP HIM!" unfortunately I didn't have a camera. I have no medical or first aid training so I just watched the show, had I had my camera at least I could have documented it.
>>
I probably wouldn't photograph kids at a public pool.
>>
>>2703382
>Weeb filters enabled on non-weeaboo board
>>
>>2703773
>a half dozen people ran around shouting "OMG HELP HIM!"
Those people are the fucking worst. There's always that one whiny fat cunt screaming at everyone to do something while she sits back and records it on her phone.
>>
>>2703787
that was a very presumptuous comment, anon
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.