[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Realistically.. How much smaller could a 70-200 f/2.8 lens be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_1119-529x600.jpg (60 KB, 529x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1119-529x600.jpg
60 KB, 529x600
Realistically.. How much smaller could a 70-200 f/2.8 lens be for mirrorless?

The Sony 70-200 f/4 for the a7 camera seems to be on par size wise to the Canon 70-200 f/4...

I am really interested by this so if anyone has one or has tried one can you let me know? I am just not sure why people want such small camera bodies (a7 series) if the lenses are still so fucking huge.. Who would want an a7 with Canon/Nikon size 70-200 on the front???
>>
>Who would want an a7 with Canon/Nikon size 70-200 on the front?

People who fell like they must have the latest and greatest of everything no matter how menial the advantage. Besides some guy on a camera blog said Sony was a game changer and another guy on Reddit agreed so it MUST be true.
>>
Optically theoretically no less than 20cm and 7cm thick. And quite bigger than that in real life

Probably within the decade, mirrorless systems will deprecate DSLRs, but it won't actually make a physical difference

The current mirrorless style cameras will then continue to live as the "ultrabooks of cameras". I.e. bad performance and shitty battery life shipped in a small pretty package for normies to eat up raw

Luckily the latter won't completely choke out consumer-level DLSRS, as +300$ cameras will continue to be a market dominated by balding chuby gearfag guys
>>
>>2701498
>mirrorless systems will deprecate DSLRs
And this is where you are wrong. EVFs are not magic, it is a simple substitute for a missing optical system. Also sensor integrated PDAF is nowhere near and cannot be as accurate as a complete optical PDAF system. The mirrorbox is here to stay, no matter how deep are your delusions and your superiority complex. But to see all this you need to be educated in engineering and university level of physics. It simply cannot be expected from an average joe to be a smart person.
>>
I don't hate mirrorless or anything. The picture is the ultimate goal. But the hype really confuses me and I do not understand it at all. And if the potential exists in the system, that's great, but people are adopting right now and I don't see the point.

Also, while it's a niche market, I'm curious to see how mirrorless will ever contend with DSLRs in the longer telephoto focal lengths. The wildlife shooters are going mirrorless? With lenses that don't exist and an AF system that is probably dicey at f/6.3?

Does a wedding photographer want to carry 14 batteries or fuck with them in the middle of the ceremony?

Of course for the street photographer mirrorless only makes too much sense.
>>
>>2701636
A street photographer doesn't need expensive mirrorless cameras, a cheap point and shoot, a camera phone, a cheap film SLR, rangefinder or point and shoot will do just as good.
Sony, just like in any other of it's fields is only producing expensive throw-away gimmick consumer shit. But why would we expect a manufacturer to make a reasonable camera when they make video game consoles without games or make water and dust resistant phones that are not resistant to water and dust.
>>
>>2701643
>A street photographer doesn't need expensive mirrorless cameras, a cheap point and shoot, a camera phone, a cheap film SLR, rangefinder or point and shoot will do just as good.

Well they don't need a mirrorless but I could see a mirrorless full frame or APS-C to have quite a bit more utility (more usable ISOs for one thing) over a lot of those systems.
>>
>>2701646
Sensor size does not give better ISO performance and DR, see the 5Ds R. Pixel size and density is a much better number. It is possible to make an APS-C sensor with FF-like performance but at the 8-12MP resolution. Right now manufacturers see APS-C as a beginner/hobbyist use but it would make sense to make a lower MP APS-C camera for low-light hobbyists.
>>
>>2701647
>Sensor size does not give better ISO performance and DR, see the 5Ds R. Pixel size and density is a much better number. It is possible to make an APS-C sensor with FF-like performance but at the 8-12MP resolution.

You are correct of course, I was shorthandedly trying to say that they might not want to go with a system where a bajillion pixels are stuffed into a pea-sized sensor. Since that seems to be an industry trend. The megapixel is still the king of superficial specs and a big reason so many cameras are sold.
>>
>>2701466
There is only a real size advantage with modestly wide lenses.
35mm or so.

Anything wider you either get too much vignetting.
And anything longer you don't need a retrofocal design anyways.
>>
>>2701636
As a guy who shoots conventions the battery life issue is a huge minus to mirrorless!
>>
>>2701636
>an AF system that is probably dicey at f/6.3?

Phase detection is "dicey" at f/6.3
Lower end DSLR's only officially support down to f/5.6
High end down to f/8, but only with some points.

So there contrast detection, or a combination between phase and contrast, might actually be an advantage.
>>
>>2701702
>contrast detection for moving subjects
mirrorless "master race"
>>
>>2701774
Yes, tech never evolve, that's why digital is shitz compared to film.
>>
>>2701789
With contrast detection you have measurements of contrast, the only value you get is how far the focus but not which way. With phase detection you have measurements of phase, focus direction and how far is your focus. It is only mathematics, don't worry, you'll eventually learn about it when you are old enough for high school.
>>
>>2701793
Tech evolution is really a hard concept, not everyone get that, don't be mad, in the end everyone gets to enjoy the new tech anyway.
>>
>>2701643
Oh hi, Angry Photographer.
>>
>>2701687
> huge minus
At most a minus, but not a huge one.

Between 400 shots or so (twice as much with a two battery grip, obviously), you'll certainly find a few seconds to swap your small ~50g battery once the indicator starts to show that it is getting empty.
>>
>>2701820
Nah, not fat enough for that. Quasi-scientist designing and building optics for spectral imaging is much closer to my main activities, photography is only a hobby, closely related to my main job but only a hobby.
>>
>>2701636
> With lenses that don't exist and an AF system that is probably dicey at f/6.3?
It isn't dicey at f/6.3 if you have a Sony with a sharp lens. Panasonic's higher end also seems to be doing quite fine with AF.

Some other brands are a bit odd, though. Didn't like how one of the newer Fuji or Olympus behaved ~1 year ago.

> Does a wedding photographer want to carry 14 batteries or fuck with them in the middle of the ceremony?
Does he want to shoot 5600+ photos at slow intervals? And does he refuse to use a battery grip or bigger battery pack, or to carry a second camera?
>>
>>2701793
D F D
F
D
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.