[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /p/ think of this new VR camera? Is this the futur
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
What does /p/ think of this new VR camera? Is this the future of cinematography?
http://vr-insider.com/magazine/Lytro_announces_groundbreaking_VR_Camera,_here's_how_it_works

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>2699576
>Is this the future of cinematography?

NOPE.
>>
what a dumb idea.

>i love hiroshima mon amour, but you know what would make it better? if i could twist my neck around like an idiot and look away from the things that are happening. now this is what living in le future is all about, muh virtual reality
>>
>>2699581
This really.

It's just the next "3D".
Nobody likes 3D movies, they only make movies 3D to distract from the story and becasue everybody is doing it.
>>
>>2699576
I think it might be the future of live event recording, like concerts, sports and even news.

In cinema it's more important to control what the audience can see.

Just hope that VR tech get to the size of any conventional goggles.
>>
>Lytro
pls, no-one's going to buy the tech off of them.
Just like their shitty camera system, it's a neat idea but it won't sell, and it won't be used.

Companies will use their own tech in a couple of years and Lytro will be washed up in 10.
>>
>>2699576
No. The future of cinematography is Kodak Vision 4 and the next Arri/RED cameras. This is just a gimmick that will not ever materialize.
>>
>>2699576
>shoot with this
>see the director picking his nose
>>
I doubt it'll be the future of cinematography for the reason of control like >>2699610 mentioned. But after playing with Google Cardboard, I think it'll be great for certain experiences/places that not everyone can go to.
Having the Louvre accessible with Google Maps was cool but it's incredibly boring to just look at it on a monitor, and I think a VR experience would be just the thing to make it engaging (assuming fast load times and people don't get nauseous using the headsets).
>>
No, you guys are confusing what VR is. It's not supposed to be cinematography or anything related to film. It is its own medium, like how books are different from video. It's the same thing. Whereas films are a very guided and crafted experience where you look at essentially a rectangle, VR is literally putting you inside a certain experience. It is an entirely different way of thinking about making content, because the content you create simply isn't the same or goes to achieve the same effect. It's just different.

Now, if your original purpose of taking a photo or video was to try and capture what the thing inside of it was really like, then VR would better serve that purpose, but otherwise you're trying to achieve different effects.
>>
>>2702708
>Kodak Vision 4
Will never happen
>>
>>2699610
>I think it might be the future of live event recording, like concerts, sports and even news.
>In cinema it's more important to control what the audience can see.
This.

How the fuck do you use it to shoot a movie when sets need 360 coverage and you can't hide lights and microphones out of shot?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.