[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Noise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: outdoor-noise.jpg (712 KB, 665x1000) Image search: [Google]
outdoor-noise.jpg
712 KB, 665x1000
I absolutely hate image noise. Mostly chromatic noise, but also luminance noise. Even on film. It drives me crazy that my 1.5x crop factor Nikon sensor produces as much noise as it does shooting RAW. Even if what you see on a screen is like 298% as big as the default print size assigned to the image by the camera, I want my images crystal fucking clear at that level.

Is it autism? Is noise in, say, situations where the so-called "gritty" look is not usual (like pic related) okay? If yes to both, can you slap it out of me, especially with photos that disprove my view that image noise is never, ever, EVER welcome?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3200
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.9
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern1094
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)210 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width4000
Image Height6016
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUnknown
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution102 dpi
Vertical Resolution102 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2015:10:30 21:47:36
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length140.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width665
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
I'm new, what in pic related is noise?
>>
File: this.jpg (500 KB, 773x699) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
500 KB, 773x699
>>2694885
Nothing. I just posted it as an example of a pic where you normally wouldn't use noise as an aesthetic effect.

...has lots of noise at 100%, as you can see here, but I also took it just to play with noise reduction.
>>
>>2694889

Ah yes the noise is apparent now!

To me noise as an aesthetic effect seems like a cheap gimmick, but if the only way to get a shot is to get it with visible noise then it's better than nothing.
>>
>>2694895
My problem is, no matter what picture I take I always want to reduce noise to absolutely zero. But that means loss of detail. It's almost like an obsession to me. Some people don't mind and you see lots of photos with noise everywhere, but it's starting to get a little OCD. I can reduce the noise in the photo there pretty well, but it'll never be satisfying without turning it into an inferno of blurriness.
>>
>>2694897

Personally I think blur, unless on a fast-moving subject, looks worse than a little noise. Makes it look like you didn't focus.
>>
>>2694897

Just to indulge your obsession. If you have a static scene and a tripod, you can take multiple shots and do a median blend to average out some of that noise.
>>
>>2694884
Noise and grain are two very different things caused by very different reasons.
>>
>>2694906
I actually heard about that technique. I usually shoot handheld but might bust out the tripod just for the pleasure of seeing it work firsthand =)

>>2694918
I know. I'm just expressing I don't like either, but am wondering how to be okay with this unavoidable fact of life.
>>
You took that at iso 3200, what the fuck were you expecting?

Why the fuck did you use those settings?
>>
>>2694897
>I always want to reduce noise to absolutely zero. But that means loss of detail.

Yes, you can't have zero noise without sacrificing detail.

But moderate noise reduction can be counteracted with sharpening. (with masking to avoid sharpening the noise itself)

You can also selectively apply heavy noise reductions in the out of focus regions and the sky.
That's where noise mostly stands out, and there isn't much detail there anyways.
>>
Not autism, just unrealistic and silly. It's like wanting a cloud to be a perfect circle.
>>
File: 1442255480932.png (402 KB, 461x576) Image search: [Google]
1442255480932.png
402 KB, 461x576
>Exposure Time 1/320 sec
>F-Number f/5.6
>Exposure Program Manual
>ISO Speed Rating 3200
>>
not op, but is noise and grain the same thing? are they words interchangeable or does grain only apply to film like "film grain"?
>>
>>2695034
No. Noise is literally visualized signal noise (data being lost/corrupted because of interference, which can come from a variety of sources).

Grain is the resolution limit of films/papers. It's the crystals that are forming the image. Fine grain usually takes more light to expose (lower Iso)
>>
>>2695009
is that photo from the movie, the guyver? where is the armor from?
>>
>>2695036
ah, thanks for the explanation.
>>
>>2695040
halo 5 mate

nathan fillion has a pretty good track record/history with bungie
>>
>>2694884
>shoot iso 3200 in daylight
>complain about noise
is this bait?
>>
>>2695052
You mean 343
>>
File: IMG_20151031_002304.jpg (287 KB, 665x822) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151031_002304.jpg
287 KB, 665x822
>>2694884
What does anon think of his photo with a tad bit of orange in it?
>>
>>2695087
no bungie he was in ODST and his voice was in Reach I think
>>
>See post complaining about noise
>relatively bright scene
>Non-moving subject
>ISO 3200
>1/320
>Manual exposure
>I HATE NOISE
pls, pls learn to set ISO and take the camera away from Auto ISO
>>
>>2694884
Chromatic noise can be removed during raw conversion in the noise removal settings, set luminance to 0, and chroma I think to 25. That's usually the default setting and just desaturates the noise.

Imagenomic Noiseware can do the same with film scans if you set the noise level for luma to 0 when removing noise on film scans.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.