[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you network, /p/? I have a website that I shitpost my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 2689cbc272217ac96eadc23b563a48b3.jpg (905 KB, 1619x1080) Image search: [Google]
2689cbc272217ac96eadc23b563a48b3.jpg
905 KB, 1619x1080
How do you network, /p/?

I have a website that I shitpost my photos on occasionally (it's useful to have a url to give out when someone wants to see you work), but I'm thinking of starting a flickr. It'd be nice to have a place other than /p/ to look at other people's photos and get some feedback.

Is flickr the way to go, or is there a better site?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:10:26 08:22:08
Exposure Time30 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2694670

Flickr is good for looking at other people's pictures.

It's total dogshit for getting feedback.
>>
>>2694675
Where then? I've been looking around for a while, and honestly the only place with actual criticism and "you're doing x wrong, do y instead and it'll be less shit" is right here.
>>
>>2694677
Just start a Flickr, Instagram and Tumblr and post the same shit on all of them. It's not like it costs a lot of money or requires a whole lot of effort.
>>
>>2694670
>>2694675
Like this guy said, Flickr is good for seeing some really great photography and sharing your own, but you will never receive proper feedback. And if by chance you do receive some form of feedback, it will be what you WANT to hear and not what you NEED to hear.

>>2694677
Honestly this is the only place I have seen which provides honest and helpful feedback, it's because everyone here is anonymous and doesn't give a fuck about what they say. Some forums can be good, I shoot with a Pentax so I'm on pentaxforums.com every now an again and you can sometimes receive some good feedback there, other than that /p/ seems like your best chance
>>
>>2694679
>it will be what you WANT to hear and not what you NEED to hear

Pretty much this. There's something slightly enraging about posting a picture you know isn't perfect and all the comments are 'wow, this is magnificent' 'so majestic'

>/p/ seems like your best chance

Abandon all hope
>>
>>2694670
I started with a Flickr but it's crap to give to people wanting to see my photos specifically.

Made a website and the 5 photos from each Flickr album, post them on the site with a description and a link to the whole Flickr gallery, also post a link to the gallery on the site on instagram.

>Flickr is good for displaying photos
>website is good to point people towards
>>
>>2694681
What annoys me the most is seeing the worst "photographers" posting their snapshits of food and cats with over the top editing, but have 50k+ followers and 1000+ faves/comments on every image, praising them as some sort of photography god. Like fair enough if you love taking photos and sharing them then go for it, but they definitely don't deserve all the attention they get.
>>
>>2694691

Yep, it is kind of annoying. But, at the same time, it provides a useful lesson about what it takes to be popular.

Consistency and self-promotion are often more important than overall quality.

There's an audience for everything, you just have to reach them and keep giving them what they signed up for.
>>
>>2694682
>it's crap to give to people wanting to see my photos specifically
Why? You can either link them to a timeline-like stream of recent photos, or you can make an album of your best photos and link them to that... unless you're trying to shoehorn some sort of shilling in there, it seems fine to me.
>>
File: 1446108408007.gif (2 MB, 272x480) Image search: [Google]
1446108408007.gif
2 MB, 272x480
I've tried all of the usual places online and none are really worthwhile for actual networking. Maintain a website to be taken seriously and then find a group that meets in person to work with.

I just restarted my 500px and it seems just as banal as before.
>>
>>2694670
Before you start to network you need to consider never making a car light trail photo again.
Also check your fucking white balance
>>
>>2694670
>I have a website that I shitpost my photos on occasionally (it's useful to have a url to give out when someone wants to see you work), but I'm thinking of starting a flickr. It'd be nice to have a place other than /p/ to look at other people's photos and get some feedback.
Don't shit post, only post good shit.
IG/FB/Tumbler/flickr (you can get plugins for wordpress that update all of the above when you update any individual one)
Have cards printed and religiously hand them out and chat people up, especially if you're out on the street with your camera.
CARD MUST HAVE YOUR URL OR SOME WAY TO GET AT YOUR ONLINE IMAGES because likely the card will be trashed, but if they like your stuff/get to something like FB/IG and follow you, you'll be in their feed.

Make nice with other photogs. Photogs in an area often bounce each other clients when things like scheduling don't work out or it's a kind of job that they don't care to do (I pass all kid shots for instance). Attend workshops/networking events to meet them.

Generally, just get out there and put your stuff out there. Work will find you.
>>
>>2694670

Networking works best in real life kiddo. tumblr isn't going to get you a paid gig
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.