[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishing & Tackle Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 83
File: image.jpg (221 KB, 792x990) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
221 KB, 792x990
#64-"Werefish are not Furries" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>807035

Workin on the beach all day today, I really need to start surf fishing dammit.

Lots of work to do so let's make this quick.

Talk about fishin'
>>
I'll repeat my question from last thread, since I didn't realize thread had hit the bump limit when I posted it.

Has anybody fished any of the streams in the Smoky Mountains before? I'm going to Gatlinburg in a couple of weeks and I'm still debating on taking my fishing shit. I've never fished for trout before so I pretty much need any tips at all.
>>
You fucked up with OP picture. No titties or asses is bad luck. It's like a boat with no name.
>>
File: image.jpg (486 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
486 KB, 1536x2048
>>808511
>>
>>808511
a werefish is better than some dumb broads
>>
>>808521
Just wait and see. This thread is cursed to be filled with posts about boring freshwater bass fishing and tiresome tripfags.
>>
>>808502
>>808522
I remember the time I caught a 3 pound small mouth bass in Illinois
>>
How do I target walleye from shore on a river. The river I'm fishing is the fox river
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 500x365
>>808559
In IL?

You need dem river rigs with 2-3 hooks and some minnows. Sometimes they have spinner blades. It's kinda like a combination of pic related and a Lindy Rig.
>>
Anyone have a recommendation for a good chest pack? I need a big one since I spin fish and have more tackle to tote around. I'd also like something with a rod holder if possible.

Was thinking about this
http://m.fishwest.com/p/umpqua-overlook-kit-zs-chest-pack?child=1073220&set=ONE+SIZE%7CCOPPER&gclid=CNDn2aiQzM0CFQgzaQod3OoBsA

All in all it was a good weekend for fishing. Caught my first rainbow and my dad gave me 3 new rods and reels that he never used.
>>
>>808571
SE Wisconsin. I'll give that a try thanks.
>>
>>808514
>dat butterface

Also my local spots have so much algae that the water could use mowing. Fuck July.
>>
Why is fishing gear so fucking expensive now? Been a few years since I last was out fishing but I moved. The price has increased from about 50$ for gloves to almost 200$. Fishing rod from about 249$ to 800$.

Any good places to order online that has international shipping?
>>
>>808613
The fuck are you seeing 249-800 fishing rods at?

My last baitcaster combo costed under 125 for a relatively high end fishing setup. Stop looking at guccibass.net and go to walmart.
>>
>>808617
>costed under 125 for a relatively high end fishing setup
Cheap fishing rods usually break for me
>>
>>808619
I've quite literally never had a fishing rod break if it wasn't my own fault. You'll break a $500 rod just like a $10 rod if you slam it in your car door.
>>
>>808619
>$800 for a fishing rod

HA, good one. The mos they get is high 5's and thats for super heavy slat water fishing. If you do anyhting else its almost all under $300
>>
>>808622
Or be a retard and not know how to handle fishing gear properly and grab the blank with your hand when trying to land something like I see retards doing all the time
>>
File: 20160705_183928-1.jpg (857 KB, 1440x958) Image search: [Google]
20160705_183928-1.jpg
857 KB, 1440x958
Caught my PB today, so fucking happy!
>>
>>808626
Nice catch! trout are so fucking cool looking imo. I wish I wasnt such a pleb and took up fly fishing so I could catch some. one day...
>>
>>808628
Man i caught him on a hand line! Just get yourself a size 11 hook with a nice bit of bread on it and drop it under a bridge. Thats how i caught him.
>>
File: IMG-20160705-WA0009.jpg (939 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160705-WA0009.jpg
939 KB, 2448x3264
went out to explore a side channel of the rideau river all morning and afternoon

water is pretty clear compared to the rest of the river, lots of deeper drop off points and shallow areas filled with minnows/small fish

could see this fucking pig of a fish sitting in vegetation, but it refused to go for any jig grubs or worms/tailed worms like whats in my picture. would just float over to look at it then turn around and go back to its spot, its like 30c out right now so the real fat fuckers don't seem to even want to go for a seemingly free snack dangling beside them

i saw a lot of crayfish hiding under rocks and lots of dead ones in open areas, what eats crayfish? thinking about picking up some crayfish soft lures or clackin crayfish lures

>>808601

fucking algae

there isnt much in my picture but some spots were real bad, ended up tripping and went to break my fall with my hand on a rock but it was so fucking mucked with algae my hand slipped right off and i went straight into the water

when i stood up i must have disturbed a school of some smaller fish maybe about the size of my hand, watched a couple dozen of them zip out of a rock past my legs, was real neat
>>
>>808630
The only trout that I have near me are either in the lake in 200+ feet of water or in this little creek that has a few and you can only catch them with flies im pretty sure
>>
>>808632
Ah shit that sucks, no rivers or creeks nearby?
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-05+at+02.35.32).jpg (86 KB, 417x671) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-05+at+02.35.32).jpg
86 KB, 417x671
>>808631

also, does anyone know what species this is? landed three of them, lost one real fat one. sorry for shit photo

>>808626
>>808628

i really need to get on fly fishing, my grandma used to get fresh rainbow trout from a guy, would make fish n chips out of it with some really good tartar sauce she made too

for some fucking reason like 4/5 places here that have fish n chips on a takeout menu don't give you tartar sauce
>>
>>808636
Sounds tasty mang, i do mine with lemon and dill, served with potato salad.
>>
>>808633
Not that I know of, it sucks big time dicker
>>
>>808628
I know nothing about trout - why do you have to fly fish in order to catch them. why can't you catch them with a regular setup like a bass one?

only difference I can think of is that trout are in a river
>>
>>808642
Indeed, maybe take a look around, theyre great fun to catch.
>>
>>808650
Im pretty sure it has something to do with spooking the fish. The creek that i know has them is pretty fast moving and only like 10 feet across at some places. When you use a fly I think you put lay it on the top of deep looking pools where a trout could hang out and if you use bass tackle it will justt splash around and scare them off. This could all be wrong but I think its because of that
>>
>werefish

Holy kek 10/10
>>
>>808631
Make a crawfish trap. There's a way overfished pond in a town close by that's infamous for crawfish. I can set my trap and catch 50+ overnight. Be sure to check your local laws.

Also my favorite bass hole looks like you could walk across it.
>>
>>808658

from what i know, its illegal to harvest them commercially and transport them live to use as bait in another lake, but keeping them to eat or using them as bait in the body of water you got them from is perfectly fine

i dont think i can put traps down though

they're rusty crayfish, invasive species here
>>
>>808658
>>808662

oh turns out im a bit wrong here, there's a few species of crayfish in the stream, i definitely saw a spinycheek crayfish and some smaller darker ones
>>
File: VID_GIF-1467745603.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
VID_GIF-1467745603.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>808626
Also caught this cutie dace
>>
>>808502
Went fishing yesterday while waiting for dark. Caught a few decent bass. Only one might have been a keeper, the rest were short by two or three inches, but I wasn't keeping any anyway. Buddy's farm pond. Once again on my powerbait worms. I love those things.
>>
>>808717
> cast a bucktail/fluke teaser
> 5 sec after landing, it got a big hit right away
> fish running the drag and give head shakes
> oh shit a potential legal halibut
> fight for a few minute with strong wave
> finally land it
> it's a white sea bass around 20 inches

On one hand, it was great that I got a white sea bass from the surf and it gave a fun decent fight. It fight a lot stronger than halibut of same size.

On the other hand, it's a short white sea bass instead of a legal halibut so I had to put it back.

Got 2 more short halibut after that as well. Overall a pretty good fishing day
>>
>>808723
Opps didn't mean to quote>>808717
>>
>>808726
Well now im sad ;-;
>>
>>808721
What color do you use? I have some old PowerBait worms buried in my tackle box but never really used them.

It's strange because I remember PowerBait being "THE Soft Bait" when I was a kid and now they don't have a big selection of them anywhere. Their colors and stuff are really limited now too compared to Zoom and some other ones.
>>
>>808617
Fly rods can easily be $800 for the gucci ones.

That being said, that's completely unnecessary and I probably wouldn't spend more than $250ish on a fresh water rod
>>
>>808729

i got powerbaits in my pic here >>808631

they smell so fucking bad, but the fish seem to love them, too bad the lazy fucks didn't seem to want to move more than a foot today
>>
>>808765
I have those worms. I'm not a big fan though. The fish love to just grab the tails on those and I end up losing them when I set the hook. Same thing with the black Zoom lizards with the chart tails. The get bites but I lose so many damn fish on them.

PowerBait doesn't smell that bad. Or that strong. Gulp! is much worse. It has this vinegar smell that is pretty awful.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>808765
Here's an old school pack of Powerbait from a few years back
>>
File: a.jpg (62 KB, 600x401) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
62 KB, 600x401
How many of you guys fish on bodies are water with "Private: No Fishing" type signs?

I'm new to fishing culture and can't help but notice that it's considered cool or normal to break the law by trespassing.

I get that the best fishing is where you aren't supposed to be but damn, if I had a private pond and kids kept coming around and basically pissing on my No Trespassing signs I'd be so fucking mad. I'd film the little shitheads and get the cops involved.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>12/31/02
Damn. I'm an old man.
>>
>>808650
you definitely don't have to fly fish to catch them.

trout can be very picky eaters and easily spooked but in some waters they aren't. I caught a 15in rainbow on a crawfish crankbait this weekend. it slammed it way harder than any bass ever has.
>>
What's the best way to keep small fish fresh? I'm going fishing and I want to keep some panfish, trout, catfish, etc. Whatever I can catch that will be tasty. My plan is as follows, since I won't have a lot of place to clean.
>Catch fish and kill quickly with a stab to the brain
>Cut gills to bleed out
>Pack upright in ice
>Be home in less than three hours
>Clean and cook immediately.

Is this ok? I haven't kept fish before and I'm looking forward to trying out a recipe but I don't want them to spoil.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>808781
A lot of the lakes I fish have those signs near them. I kinda feel them out the first few times I go though. The lake in pic related, I try to go there on Sundays or later on Saturdays because it is some industrial park that is dead on the weekends.

Most of the time I don't have problems. I'm white, I normally don't look homeless, and I don't set up camp with 5 rods out and filleting everything I catch so people are easy on me. If you go there with a group or rowdy people and leave a bunch of empty worm containers and beer cans around, they might get pissed.

The people who own these buildings are nowhere around anyway. And if somebody tells me to leave, I'm not going to argue with them. I talk to people working in these places a lot too and it's all good.
>>
>>808787
Catch them, and throw them in your $250 Yeti marine cooler filled with ice. It's a humane way to kill them as the cold will put 'em to sleep.
>>
>>808790
Will an ice chest that I have in my garage for free work too?
>>
>>808791
If it can hold ice all day that doesn't melt yeah - I jokingly said the Yeti because it's so expensive but it works damn well.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>808790
Probably a better idea to do this too, wait until you get home to cut them up. Don't leave a big pile of guts and blood right next to your fishing spot.

Well, I guess it depends where you fish at. I leave ded sneks around but they disappear pretty quick.
>>
File: the_dude.jpg (50 KB, 600x426) Image search: [Google]
the_dude.jpg
50 KB, 600x426
>>808789
>I trespass all the time but it's okay because I'm white

I know I'm turning into a "get off my lawn" old guy, but just saying, I'd call the cops on your ass :-)

Pro tip: Don't try trespassing in Texas or else you'll get shot dead by someone with a legal right to do so
>>
>>808772
>>808775

yeah thats my issue, nothing im going for can reasonably gulp up the entire fucking powerbait so that i can hook it, they mostly eat the tail off and swim away. besides my powerbaits, all i got are fat worms of the same size and jig heads + grubs, but after hooking like every fish except this one fucking pig that wouldn't for my shit, they got wary of my grubs and wouldn't touch them, rest of the fish were too small to go for them
>>
>>808802
Who would just leave them on the ground? Should be common sense to feed the catfish with fish remains.
>>
>>808781
Yes , though I almost always get permission before hand
I usually ask of i can fish pond , get a bullshit answer about how they're worried about liability and if they weren't liable they would let me fish there, then I proceed to show them a piece of paper (the law) that says if they allow recreational use of their property they aren't liable under most circumstances

I keep laws like that shit printed out, along woth a few others

There's a few ponds I fish that are kind of half ass marked but I know who the landowner is and know he allows fishing on the ponds s long as you clean up your shit and have your vehicle out of there by the time he locks the gates or you're fucked
>>
>>808805
Like I said, I feel it out first. The majority of places, the signs are just there to keep it from turning into a public park with people camping out and shit. They don't care about some dude walking around for half an hour tossing lures and letting the fish go. And I don't wear out my welcome by spending all day there on a Tuesday while people are doing business.

The places that really care about it, you will see an obnoxious amount of signs. I normally stay away from those places.

The place with the big ol' bass is actually a private subdivision and it is supposed to be for residents only. If anybody asks, I'm just visiting my sister who lives 2 blocks away.
>>
>>808808
Then you have the issue with the eggs. Somebody was telling me snakehead eggs have a really good survival rate, even if the adult fish is dead. It's maybe 50-50, I throw a handful in the water and leave some on shore. But I will throw them in the rocks or bushes where birds will find em but people won't be tripping over them.

>>808806
Zoom makes some good small worms like the Finesse Worms or Z-Drop worms. Baby Brush Hogs or 4"-5" lizards are pretty small too where even small bass should grab the whole thing.

Those chartruese tails also get bluegill nipping at them which can feel like a bass bite. They don't do it as much with solid colored baits.
>>
>>808789

>I'm white

wasn't there a black guy who posted here?

i remember darkie fingers in a few photos
>>
>>808617
Pretty much any place that's 50% fishing related but its mostly bass gear for tournament fishing, fly gear, or musky gear.
>>
>>808812
>>808626
Hey pep, what do you think of my PB?
>>
>>808626
Nice fish, i havent got any browns yet this year, one rainbow 14 brookies,
Maybe il gegt out some day after work for trout since im so lose to the river

Though i put some in the river bigger than your pb Just the othe day
saw a few 19-20 inches and a bit broader than that
>>
>>808839
Never caught a trout in my life, so I'm a bad person to axe.
>>
What do you guys think of that youtube bikini fishing girl? Does she know her stuff or is someone feeding her what to say off camera?
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 500x500
>>808849
Post a pic at least.

I'm sure she ain't no Niggas on the River
>>
File: Minn-Kota-Traxxis55.jpg (21 KB, 500x440) Image search: [Google]
Minn-Kota-Traxxis55.jpg
21 KB, 500x440
bump for trolling motor advice, didn't realize new thread was up.
>>
File: Pigbrown.jpg (66 KB, 491x315) Image search: [Google]
Pigbrown.jpg
66 KB, 491x315
>>808626
Nice catch! My fishing buddy and I hooked up on his PB this last weekend. Love me them feisty browns!
>>
>>808850
https://www.youtube.com/user/DarcizzleOffshore
>>
>>808843
Damn thats some good fishing

>>808846
Ah my mistake

>>808857
Holy shit thats an awesome fish, how hard did he hit?
>>
How do I fish in underwater grass or moss or whatever it is? Every time I try to come through it, I get a pile of it on my hook. What am I doing wrong? This is with a weightless senko. Am I going to fast? Should I try a jig? I feel like that would be even worse.
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>>808870
>texas rig

That mossy shit is a pain though.
>>
How do you learn how to use a boat?
>>
>>808872

Got any suggestions for not getting snagged on rocks with a texas rig?

Every time I use it, I end up getting caught on a rock (Like the sinker and hook get stuck behind a rock)
>>
>>808872
I do texas rig it. Should I just toss it in and bounce it a couple times then reel it in and throw it back out? Almost every time I try to cast it far and bounce it, then reel it, then bounce it, etc I have to pull crap off it. Sometimes its not much but I feel like bass aren't going to bite it if it has any at all on it so 75% of my casts are wasted.
>>
>>808874
what do you want to know? just saying how do I boat is to broad
>>
>>808875
try weightless or an egg sinker. Alternatively don't throw over rocks and shit.
>>
>>808879
Everything from towing it to launching it to driving it.

You can rent them at a lake I go to but I don't even know where to start.
>>
>>808859
shes fed lines, and shown how to do any techniques before they film,
atleast thatw what i think
>>808861
my goal for this year is to catch one 5plus pounds, though that can be difficult
>>
>>808896
Nice and i guess you of all people know where to find them.
Ive only recently started fishing, and shes the biggest ive seen in these small rivers, so im over moon. Heading out there again tomorrow, may set up a camp and catch my dinner.
>>
>>808901
i actually didnt stock this spring, Hence why ive actually been out trout fishing somewhat recently, When i stocked last spring i avoided fishing the spots we stocked Until stocking season was almost over
We just put 2200 fish in the rivers for the 4th to keep the people happy
>>
>>808904
Ah nice, whats your best so far? Do you fly fish?
>>
>>808905
i dont flyfish and dont trout fish much to be honest, 20 inches but almost 3 pounds ( by guestimation )
a really nice fish to be honest since most fish we put in the river are .9-1.5 pounds
Theres a really huge deep pocket on the river by me ( .25-.5 miles long and supposedly 65-100 ft deep in some spots) im going to goi soak some baits, Try with some big shiners, and maybe try slow trolling spinners, with nightcrawlers etc
>>
>>808906
Well best of luck
>>
>>808907
Thanks, i also have chance of running into huge catfish, and or some large bass,
though i have reason to beliee there are huge browns and rainbows to 10 lbs
>>
>>808909
fucking trip , its a pain posting on some boards as tripfag, and others as anonymous
>>
>>808861
>how hard did he hit?
Like a sack of bricks. 6.5lbs. Still hunting our first over ten.
>>
>>808787
what you described is about the best you can do. It's way better than what I do and mine taste just fine.
>>
File: searobin.jpg (130 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
searobin.jpg
130 KB, 1024x768
scup are so damn easy but fun because they usually fight pretty decent for their size. Caught at least 15-20 of them tonight + 3 sea robins (pic related (stock photo))
Sea robins also make a bizarre growly kind of sound.
>>
>>808914
Shit man, i love browns for that. Even the little guys hit like a gypsy.
>>
>>808502
>that fucking picture
How high must you be to think of let alone draw something like that
>>
>>808929
replace the word high with mentally ill
>>
Got the afternoon off to try for shoal bass and trout. Don't think I'm gonna bother bringing my gear for striper but I know I'll regret it if I don't.

It's nice that I've got access to a river that I can catch trout, catfish, panfish, 3 species of bass, and stripers at the same time.
>>
>>808931
It's a god damn weresalmon. I've seen furries draw weretigers, wolves and all sorts of weird shit but this is on a whole different level.
>>
Every time I fish I see 4 or 5 different water surface breaks from bass - clearly they're eating water bugs and shit on the top of the water.

So you know those "flies" for fly fishing - they look like bugs and sit on top of the water. Do they make anything like that for bass fishing? I know there's top water lures but they all seem bulky. If I could get a fuzzy bug like floating lure with a 2/0 or 3/0 hook that would be perfect...
>>
File: 2iZ3ion.jpg (891 KB, 2890x2167) Image search: [Google]
2iZ3ion.jpg
891 KB, 2890x2167
Sir Nibblesworth strikes again.

Funny thing is, if I caught any other fish that was about a foot long, I'd be content with it. But a channel cat this size just kinda pisses me off.
>>
>>808951
I love seeing knives that have actually been used.
>>
>>808951
99% of the channel cats I catch and keep to eat are around 8 inches.

They're the best canidates for skinning,battering, and frying up whole.
>>
File: OFUEunG.jpg (739 KB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
OFUEunG.jpg
739 KB, 4128x3096
>>808956 #
It's seen some shit in its days. Doesn't keep a super-sharp edge for very long anymore, but it still cuts well enough because of how huge it is.

>>808959 #
Tennessee River, just downstream of Chattanooga and like 2 nuke plants. I wouldn't be super confident eating bottom feeders out of it.
>>
>>808852

so nobody here goes innaboat with a trolling motor?
>>
File: 1467061820388.png (860 KB, 809x747) Image search: [Google]
1467061820388.png
860 KB, 809x747
>>808781
Aren't all large bodies of water owned by the state? I can understand a little backyard pound, but to my knowledge, signs like that are bullshit unless they're the state is trying to conserve a type of fish in that particular area. Any old dick can make a sign like that and nail it on his property
>>
>>808983
boats cost money and 4chan is mostly full of NEETs, so no. Only fishing from the shore for me
>>
>>808987
>Any old dick can make a sign like that and nail it on his property

Yeah, his property, which is private. Private property is private property AFAIK. Example you can't go swimming in a water hazard at the local country club golf course while telling the rich folk "you don't own the water, man!"
>>
File: untitled (1 of 3).jpg (523 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
untitled (1 of 3).jpg
523 KB, 1000x750
anybody got fish on the wall?

none of these are mine, just old wall hangers.

bass and gar are from my half bro, crappie from my mother. no idea what taxidermy costs in modern times and i've yet to catch anything worth mounting.
>>
File: untitled (2 of 3).jpg (427 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
untitled (2 of 3).jpg
427 KB, 1000x750
>>808998
>>
File: untitled (1 of 1).jpg (596 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
untitled (1 of 1).jpg
596 KB, 1000x750
>>808999
>>
>>808877

Depends. That's one very solid technique, but you could work it across the surface instead.
>>
>>808921

Straight up fuck sea robins. I wouldn't trust a man with gills, so I sure as hell don't trust a fish with legs.
>>
File: fishgrill.jpg (51 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
fishgrill.jpg
51 KB, 250x250
>>809051
What about a cute girl with gills
>>
>>808631
Yum crawbug 2.5" in a dark color on an 1/8 oz jighead. Only thing that works consistently at my local lake where crawdad are a big forage item.
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 289x174) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 289x174
>>808875
>>808877
Sometimes with that mossy shit, it will still cover the weight no matter what you do. Just gotta try and avoid it sometimes. Same with the rocks. I have a few lakes with steep drop-offs that will snag weedless Texas rigs, and I just remember where they are and try to reel fast when I'm going over them.

The best setup to avoud weeds and snags for me has been the weedless rigged Super Flukes or especially the Strike King Perfect Plastics shads. The Strike Kings have a slot on the top and bottom so the hook sits totally inside and it's really hard to snag stuff. Plus if you use then with a weighted swimbait hook, there is no bullet weight to get caught up.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>808631
CAgoy said the Yum crawbug and I agree with something similar. Culprit makes some nice ones with long and dangley antennae and claws. If you get those in a dark black/blue color like Junebug or Okeechobee, they stand out really well against grass and weeds.
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>809131
>>808631
And if all else fails with natural and dark colors, get down on those Zoom lizards in chartruese pepper. Those seem to work for me when they aren't hitting anything else.

The weight can make a difference too with picky fish. Sometimes I need to grab a lighter spinning combo with a 1/8oz weight instead of my usual 1/4oz+. It makes the bait fall slower and if there is grass or mud on the bottom, the bait will sit on top of it and flail around more. There's also the shakey head jigs like I posted here >>808872 and those are specifically made to be fished slow with finesse presentations for picky summer bass.
>>
>>809073
>>809131
>>809137

yeah gonna go pick those craws up, there's a lot of darker colours here at canadian tire

love the colour of these value worm i found, they look dark blue with teal/blue/purple flakes on inspection, but when stretched or held to the light they're actually more of a deep tyrian purple

gonna grab a net too, there's so many minnows in the water i might as well use them

not sure how to grab the crawfish though, they seem to hide under rocks
>>
>>809144
>not sure how to grab the crawfish

Materials needed:

String
Bacon

Just tie the bacon to the string and pull up the crawfish when they grab it. It works better if you can see the craws while you're doing it.
>>
>>808662
Too bad, they're delicious.
>>
>>809166

>see the craws while you're doing it

P E R F E C T

my spot is a rather large rock with shallow water around it, maybe two feet at max in depth, its filled with a few different species and the water is nice and clear
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>809003
Why is that crappie bass shaped
>>
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>>809176
>Crappie
Wut?

Bass come in all shapes and sizes
>>
anyone here fished in Australia??
>>
>>809204
It's probably illegal m8
>>
So I used to fish when I was a lad but haven't since then and was looking to start again, but have zero gear. Is there a beginners or starter guide? Advice on a good rod brand/model at a lower price point?
>>
>>809203
I think the other guy was talking about its coloration
>>
>>808781
>How many of you guys fish on bodies are water with "Private: No Fishing" type signs?

Fucking never. Here you are more than likely to get shot or be arrested. No joke.

>>808987
No. Only stuff like rivers and streams are managed in that manner 100%. Ponds and lakes are managed by the property owners, many of which can be local/federal government or military. There are a lot of large ponds and small lakes privately owned were I live. They take trespassing as serious business.
>>
File: Australian Nibblesworth.jpg (1 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
Australian Nibblesworth.jpg
1 MB, 4128x2322
>>809263
I'd say get a ugly stik combo to start off, rod is good but the reel isn't so great so I'd replace it whenever you can afford it.
I still use mine when I go innawoods and don't want to bring my fancy rods.
>>
>>809313
I'm a newb and just got that - the ugly stik gx2 6'6" medium action from WalMart. 30 bucks. It's pretty nice but yeah the reel feels off sometimes, like if I start to reel slow (just one or two cranks) it feels like resistance, but reeling consistently is fairly smooth.
>>
File: 1741024271.jpg (3 MB, 2236x2236) Image search: [Google]
1741024271.jpg
3 MB, 2236x2236
>>809316
I got one with the same specs.
Get a pflueger president reel, they are great.
>>
How should I handle toothy fishes since I can't lip them, for example, a fluke.
>>
>>809334
gill them, gloves, or gripers. I used gripers for all the pike I caught in Canada a couple weeks ago and they worked really well.
>>
>>809352
>gripers

What the fuck is a griper?
>>
>>809371
Someone who complains incessantly.
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
>>809371
gripper* sorry. pic related is what i used, called 'the fish grip'
>>
>>809316
Those reels are trash, that's why I always yell at people who reccommed them. If you spend $10-$20 more on a combo you will get a reel that you don't want replace the first time you use it.
>>
>>809263
I'm gonna post my copypastas
Best bet for fishing lakes and ponds, get yourself a medium weight rod and reel. 6'6" rod with a reel that holds ~150yds of 8lb or 10lb mono. Spool it up with decent 8lb monofilament line, most fishing outlets can do this for you. If you want to fish for more carp or catfish, maybe 10lb line. But 8lb is good for just about anything freshwater. You can still cast panfish lures with it and haul in bigger carp and bass.

Then grab assorted hooks, a couple bobbers, and some split shots. Pliers or a multitool are nice too. Best bet is just running nightcrawlers on a bobber and get comfortable with casting as well as seeing what you catch at these lakes. Then you can start with some lures. Ask what other people are using, or if you are catching crappie, largemouth, whatever, you could ask here for reccommendations or look elsewhere online. Watch youtube vids on how to fish the lures. Find out what works well at your lakes, and just keep going from there.

For a medium weight rod/reel combo (spinning reel of course), you can grab something for $40. But if you think you will really be into it or aren't too strapped for cash, you can buy a combo closer to $75 that will be much nicer and you won't want to replace after a couple months.

They do sell little starter kits with a couple hooks, weights, shitty bobbers, and a lure or two, but it isn't enough go last very long.
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 1702x630) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 1702x630
>>809263
>>809417
>Popular Combos Under $100
Top to bottom, left to right.
1) Abu Garcia Ike 2- $39
2) Quantum Bill Dance- $39
3) Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2- $49
4) Pflueger Trion- $59
5) Bass Pro Tourney Pro- $59
6) Lew's Laser Speed Spool- $59
7) Abu Garcia Cardinal SX- $69
8) Daiwa Revros- $69
9) Mitchell 300- $69
10) Pflueger President- $79
11) Shimano Sedona/Sellus- $89
12) Mitchell 300 Pro- $89
13) Abu Garcia Orra S- $99
>>
>>809420
>Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2- $49

Mine was $30 at Walmart and it wasn't on sale, just saying
>>
>>809420
Got one of these for baitcasters?
>>
>>809420
Are these all freshwater only?
>>
>>809447
the baitcaster market isnt that populated with low cost reels unless someone is having a sale but for under $100 you can choose from the silver or black max Abu reels, Diawa laguna, and then a plethora from 'bass pro shops' or 'gander mountain' brand reels under $100 as well
>>
>>808729
Don't recall the name, its purple with a reddish purple belly.

They're a bitch to find but I love them.
>>
What would be the breaking point of 50lb braid with a 20lb mono leader? Would it just be the strength of the leader?
>>
>>809471
One of the knots on the leader. So probably like 15lbs.

>>809430
That's really cheap. They are $49 pretty much everywhere and the rods are $40. Was the price tag fucked up?

>>809447
What other anon said, there aren't too many budget baitcasters. I think there is a cheaper Quantum combo that Bass Pro has. Otherwise their store brand like the Tourney Special would be decent.

>>809449
Most of those will be like bass fishing size (30 or 3000).

If you want a decent saltwater setup without spending a ton, the Penn combos are great. The Fierce, Battle, and Spinfishers all good. I think the Fierce combos start around $80 or $90 depending on size.
>>
>>809480
supposedly the fierce rod is sub par, i like the reel alot tho
>>
Fuck I accidentally bought tiny brush hogs
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OB2PJ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How fucked am I?
>>
How can I tell if its grass or a bass when I think I have a bite?
>>
>>809487
>$4.72

who cares? if they dont work just throw them in your box an use em when ever you think they will. Also why did you buy them from amazon? do you not have a single bait shop or sporting goods store near you?
>>
>>809491
Grass will be just a small bump and will be a linear pull on your your line. A fish will either bump it and not get hooked making you think its grass or it will chomp it and you'll know when its a fish.
>>
>>809492
If anything Amazon is cheaper or equal to most prices around here. And I have prime so I get it in 2 days to my door.
>>
>>809498
>>809492
Absolutely BTFO
>>
File: download (1).png (287 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
download (1).png
287 KB, 1920x1080
so i bought a bass pro brand 10 dollar rod today because it has the short almost pistol like grip that reminds me of my childhood fishing rod and i haven't seen one since.

also got a 25 dollar berkely 7 foot medium-heavy for a beater spinner rod. both of these will pretty much reside in my car for opportunistic fishing. i'll keep the nice things at home.
>>
>>809487
3"? Damn, I've never seen them that size in store. I use Baby Brush Hogs a bit but those are still 5" or something.

I would use them. Get a light setup, 1/8oz or lighter bullet weight and a 2/0 EWG, run them as a finesse deal when shit isn't biting. I have had decent sized bass hit those small 4" Zoom lizards.

If you really don't want them, send em my way...

>>809491
You will learn the difference after some time. I guess it helps a lot that I have braid, but I can tell really easily when it is a bite or I'm just running through weeds or over a rock on the bottom. Weeds don't pull back or to the side.

A lot of times I can even tell what kind of fish it is by the bite. And once I hook them, I can tell by the fight if I have a largemouth, snakehead, or Mayan. Still need practice on the Peacocks, they feel like a really feisty largemouth.

>>809498
Are you in the US? What retailers do you have nearby? Walmart has a mediocre selection, but they are cheap for Zoom baits. Dick's and Bass Pro have sales on Zoom stuff a lot. I just grabbed a few bags from Dick's with the "Buy One Get One 50% Off" sale. And Bass Pro seems to be real competitive with Zoom stuff even when a lot of their other shit can be pricey. But you don't see those tiny brush hogs in stores so if it were something you liked plus free 2-day shipping with Prime, the prices are fair.
>>
>>809507
What real are you putting on that? I remember the old spincaster rods being that way but I'm curious what it would feel like with a baitcaster.
>>
>>809510
The rid for my ambassadeur521 is like that,
Hough I may see if I an change out the handle for a longer normal one
>>
>>809498
still doesn't make much sense. why not just go to the bait shop and spend the $2 extra dollars to have it instantly right then instead of waiting 3 days to have it delivered? plus you see everything irl so you know exactly what your buying
>>
>>809510

the 10 lb spincast pflueger trion i bought a couple weeks ago.

gonna put the president 6940 on the berkely until i get something better, and the old abu spinner on the 6 foot extra heavy ugly stick for catfish because why not.

i found an old zebshit 733 to go on one of the shawty ghetto rod that i'll use specifically for spinner baits.
>>
>>809509
There is one Bass Pro shop close but it is pretty far out of my way. I might stop one day on my way to another lake I am looking at fishing. Do you have to have the Dick's card to get the deals? I went the other day to get a rod tip and seen they had 2 frogs for the price of one but I wasn't sure so I didn't buy any.

>>809512
I was already ordering a reel so I threw a couple baits in. I'm used to everything being a lot cheaper online and I want to go fishing Friday evening without having to drive out of the way to the store.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>809512
Baby Brush Hogs are $4.49 at Dick's and $4.79 at Bass Pro, so you are on to something. But Amazon Prime is free shipping and some people would rather just have it at their doorstep by the weekend instead of driving an hour in rush hour traffic to Cabela's for a bag of soft plastics.

I would always rather buy in-store. I like to see stuff IRL before buying, plus I like to browse and try something new. Sometimes it costs a little more than online but no shipping or waiting. I do order lures online occaisionally but it is stuff I can't find in-store. I hate paying $9 shipping on $35 worth or lures and waiting 6 business days though.
>>
>>809524
>>809519
I guess its just a location thing because literally every single place I can think of that is good for fishing around me has a small bait store within a mile of where im going.
>>
>>809519
You don't need a Dick's card to buy stuff on sale. However, dick's reward card give you some free instore credit after you have enough points built up by purchasing. It's free and doesn't cost anything beside the email spam they will send to the email you choose to start a reward account
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>809517
>spincast pflueger trion
Wut? I never knew they made a spicast Trion. I never really look at spincast reels though.

What Berkley rod is it? I really like that Berkley Lightning Rod Shock. Same price as Ugly Stiks but I think they are much better for lure fishing. Ugly Stiks are good for stuff like your catfish rod where you will just be flinging heavy rigs, but I'm over them for lure fishing. Not a big fan of the action.

>>809519
You don't need the Dick's card for the sales. It is just a rewards card. If you shop there a bit, it's worth grabbing though. They give you a $10 voucher for every ~$300 you spend. I'm still waiting on one of those to come in the mail.

If you sign up for the rewards card, they also send emails with deals. They always have those "flash sales" on Thursdays and the only way to know about them is through the emails. Plus the Dick's I went to last weekend didn't have sale signs on a bunch of their stuff even though they had BOGO half off on all Rapalas, Zooms, Yamamotos, and Lunkerhunts. Only reason I knew about it was the emails.

Plus Dick's has great clearance stuff a lot. After Christmas, all of the stores reset a bunch of stuff in the fishing area and I grabbed a bunch of stuff for cheap. And not just random strange lures, they had a lot of those KVD soft baits I like, plus terminal tackle like hooks, jigheads, weights, and then a bunch of spinners and jigs. Pic related.
>>
>>809532
>email spam
The Dick's emails are one of the few I actually look at a lot. Bass Pro sends me way more worthless emails. At least Dick's has good sales.
>>
>>809533

yeah man i think i posted it when i took back my zebco 33 max a few threads ago as the anti reverse failed in a couple days which is expected on low end zebshit. the trion is like a 30 dollar walmart reel but so far i've caught 5 or so fish on it without issue. it's a bit rough and even with the diagrams i can't see how to easily pop off the back cover like you can with a 33, i might have to call the company and ask. i know spincasts get hated on but i find them ideal for relaxed fishing vs active fishing.

the berkely rod is the 2 piece 7 foot medium-heavy/fast cherrywood with long cork handle. for 25 bucks i can't complain. i haven't bought any 2 piece rods in years since they used to fly apart when casting. nothing duct tape can't fix.

wasn't shopping for 40-50 dollar rods today though, i know there's lots of good rods in that range.

>>809534

dicks does have good sales but i've been had twice with ammo 'sales' that were mail in rebates that were not advertised as such until i got to the register. that being said, ammo prices that go into the major national print ads are always legit and often worth picking up a few boxes of 9mm or whatever.
>>
Just got back from Walmart.

>excited to look for famous topwater lures
>jitterbug, hula popper, etc
>they're in stock, sweet!
>oh, they only have the smallest sizes meant for panfish

damn. guess I'll be visiting tacklewarehouse.com unless someone else has better suggestions?
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>809571
You don't have a Dick's nearby?

I'm a big fan of Rapala Skitter Pops as far as poppers.
>>
>>809576
no we don't have any fancy Dick's around here (heh)

No Bass Pro, no REI, no Academy, no Dick's. Only the monopoly that is Walmart, which is why I'm forced to do most shopping online
>>
>>809579
no local family owned shops? I can think of 6 within a 5 mile radius of my home
>>
>>809576
>I'm a big fan of Rapala Skitter Pops as far as poppers.

Nice do you have anymore lures to suggest? For topwater or crankbaits etc
>>
>>809583
No dedicated tackle shops that I've heard of or can find on Google. Some are a combo gas station / tackle shop but they only carry things like YUM plastics, hooks, bobbers, etc
>>
>>809584
The rebel crick hoppers and crawdads are very good lures.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>809579
That sucks. Walmarts will have slightly different lure selections at different stores, so might be worth stopping if you pass another one. I'm suprised they didn't have some Hula Poppers or Jitterbugs. Or at least one of each. And they might have some Rapala topwaters. They will be mixed in with the other Rapalas so look close. The Walmart down the street has a terrible fishing section but I still managed to grab this gold Rapala topwater last weekend. Can't remember if it is a Skitter Walk or something else.

Pic related is my topwater hard bait collection (the bass-sized ones at least) The ones on the right are all Rapala Skitter Pops. The bottom one in the middle I grabbed from my shitty Walmart (Rapala Skitter Walk?) and the one above that is a Skitter Prop and was highly reccommended by dude at Bass Pro.

On the left side in the middle is the Yo-Zuri 3DB popper and that is nice, I'd consider more of those in the future.

You could also do the hollow body frogs...
>>
>>809588
Are the crickhoppers meant for small bass or could they handle a, let's say, 3-4lb bass?

I'm still learning about all this and I know 3/0 hooks are good for bass, but the treble hooks on the crickhopper look way, way smaller than that

>>809589
Awesome thanks for this, i'm looking up this stuff now
>>
>>809589
>I'm suprised they didn't have some Hula Poppers or Jitterbugs.

They did, but I looked up the lures before going to Walmart and saw they're made in different sizes, and Walmart only carried the smallest size which I assume is for panfish based on the tiny trebles
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>809593
Those cricket hoppers are little guys (at least the ones I own and have seen) but maybe you could find some slightly larger ones if you look around.

>>809584
So as far as hard baits (not including spinners) I like the suspending jerk baits a lot. Rapala Husky Jerks are always a good standby. But I'm a huge fan of the Rapala X-Raps. They are like the Husky Jerks but come in different colors and I think have a little more action. I like Rapala Scatter Raps too, they will float and then dive shallow-medium when you reel them in. The Orginal Rapalas are always solid for a floating and shallow diving bait.

I have been getting into Yo-Zuris a bit more. Their suspending minnows are nice in the limited use I have gotten from them. And the Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnows are supposed to be GOAT. They are like an Original Rapala where they float when not moving and dive shallow-mid depths when retrieved. I bought 3 last weekend when they finally went on sale for less than $11ea but haven't used them.

In the pic, the left 2 columns are Rapala X-Raps. Bottom row of 4 are Rapala Scatter Raps (or maybe Shad Raps? Can't remember but they come in an orange box IIRC). Top right is the 3 Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnows. Bottom right is the two Yo-Zuri Supending Minnow Jerkbaits.

If you want to save a lil money, wait for free shipping at Bass Pro and grab a bunch of their XPS lures. Their crankbaits and poppers and stuff aren't bad at all for the low price. Just don't buy the XPS inline spinners, they suck.
>>
>>809487
Use them on a drop shot
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>809595
That blows. They normally have the medium sized (~3" maybe?) Hula Poppers and stuff.

How are you situated as far as Mepps?
>>
>>809598
That's a pretty picture and I see you have different sized trebles. I'm pretty ignorant about treble hooks in general and trying to figure out what size I need to catch medium to low end bass. In other words, how do I tell if a lure meant for panfish could also work for a small bass?

>>809602
I don't even know what Mepps are, I'm just starting out on a low budget and thought I'd splurge to get a couple of the $8-$10 topwater lures.
>>
Just lost a nice fish probably close to 4 pounds based on how it was fighting,
My fucking knot pulled and the worst part is I knee my knot wasn't great but wasn't expecting anything big
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>809613
For big bluegill and crappie, you are looking more at the ~2" Rapalas (and other similar lures). For largemouth, you want the ~4" lures. The smaller treble hooks won't hook largemouth nearly as well and they can shake them loose easier. The X-Raps I like to use for bass are just over 4", and I believe they are Size 10 when you read the packaging.

The fatter diving cranks will be different, the length might only be 2.5" or 3" but will have much larger treble hooks on them.

Pic related are inline spinners, Mepps specifically. Agila #1 would be like good size bluegill and small crappie. #2 for fatty bluegill and regular crappie. #3 is good for fat crappie and smaller bass. Agila #4 is one of my favorites I think, the treble hook is big enough to hold bass well and the snakeheads can take em down no problem. If I'm just going for big largemouth, #5.

Rooster Tails are just like Mepps, a little bit cheaper. 1/8oz will be the same size as Mepps #1 and good for panfish. If you want to do bass, try and get Rooster Tails that are 1/4oz+. Walmart and pretty much everywhere has them.
>>
Caught 2 bass on my 10 dollar bass pro shit rod. White trick worms.
>>
>>809615
Just tie a half knot into your tag. I always do that and have never had a knot slip.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>809613
Maybe this will help with size reference. Bigger lures will normally have bigger hook, so just look for something that your target fish will swallow. A lot of bass hard baits are going to be 3"-4", and bluegill stuff closer to 1". If you have decent sized crappie or perch, go for something in the middle.
>>
>>809627
Awesome dude yes, thanks that helps a lot
>>
>>809625
I usually do , it was just a bad knot and it was starting to slip but I figured it was still alright for most everything I was going to catch
Then a four pounder that made one crazy run into a bunch of weed
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>809628
And then there's also regular spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. Spinnerbaits are good when the bass are feeding on baitfish. Def a good spring lure or run them at dusk. Same with buzzbaits, but they are topwater ones. Buzzbaits, you just reel them with a medium fast retrieve so they stay on top of the water and create a bunch of noise. The 3 on the right are buzzbaits, the rest are spinnerbaits.

Crappie and perch will go for the smaller spinnerbaits like the Booyah Pond Magics. But it's mostly a bass lure. Too big for bluegill. They are somewhat weedless too so they don't get caught up a whole lot if there are weeds in the area.
>>
You have 10 secs to name something more fun than frog fishing
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>809628
>>809632
Forgot to add, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits can be good in dark and murky water too. Same with the inline spinners like Mepps and Rooster Tails. The vibrations from the blade get a lot of attention from the bass.

I like to fish at dusk a lot, and if I stay after the sun goes down and it is totally dark, I will grab a Mepps #4 or #5 and it has gotten me a lot of nice bass.
>>
>>809634
Catching bluefish with candy wrappers on a hook.
>>
>>809634
Fish for frogs or bass fishing with plastic frogs?
>>
>>809634
Diamond jigging in 80-150 feet of water for 12+ pound bluefish with (relitivley) light tackle
>>
File: 0706162059.jpg (4 MB, 3120x3120) Image search: [Google]
0706162059.jpg
4 MB, 3120x3120
>>809566
>>
File: image.jpg (451 KB, 1205x1901) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
451 KB, 1205x1901
>>809645
Crazy...

>>809628
And if in doubt, this thing still covers most of the common things to go for bass. The other one here >>809602 is a little more comprehensive.
>>
>8pm summer evening
>Air temperature 94 degrees
>Water temperature 79 degrees
>You find a shaded cove and can see constant water surface breaks
>The bass are feeding

What lure do you cast first?
>>
>>809651
Also

>water depth 15-20 feet
>no rocks, no weeds
>water clear about 4 feet down
>>
>>809648

crazy like a fox!
>>
>>809651
>>809655

>never fished in water that clear
>fish white or merthiolate zoom trick worm anyway

i might just throw in a long twirl tail white grub weedless with a 1/0 hook and a fuck ton of sinkers though.
>>
>>809651
spook
>>
File: received_518228908369040.jpg (42 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
received_518228908369040.jpg
42 KB, 540x540
>>808781
I very rarely fish, so i just asked a friend to fish on their property which borders a road, had this dude pull over and tell me how unethical it was to trespass on someones property.

I offered to give him a call if he was that concerned. Thankfully he didnt get all mad and just dropped it

What i caught last Saturday
>>
>>809671
what's the deal with zoom trick worms? do they compare to yamamoto senkos (performance wise)? I'm liking their low price
>>
>>809692

never used yamahasuzuki's but i've used zoom trick worms forever, they just work.
>>
>>808987
even if it is like that (and I'm not sure it is), the land around the body of water is still his, so if you're fishing from the shore, you're on his land, and if you're in the water on a body that's encircled by his land, it's prima facie evidence that you've been on his land, and will again be on his land.
>>
>>808509

I haven't but I've watched enough videos. I'd just bring a light set up with some tiny jigs and those really small inline spinners like panther martins
>>
File: IMG_1033.jpg (439 KB, 1936x1288) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1033.jpg
439 KB, 1936x1288
>>808782

I was in Grade 2, you're a geezer peps
>>
>>809635
frogs and topwaters all day for night time fishing, and about 5mm thick clothing for the skeeters.
>>
File: 20151214_210625.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151214_210625.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
>>809651

Rebel frog r.

With a Texas rigged green pumpkin senko tied on my second rod.

>>809634

Jigging bucktails for fluke, seabass, and blackfish.
>>
>>809380
Ha fucking kek
>>
Delayed thanks to the bros who posted all that info on starter gear/advice.
>>
File: fishnonamous1.jpg (612 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fishnonamous1.jpg
612 KB, 1920x1080
I've been fishing all my life but have gotten fat and lazy. Playing more vid games. I'm surprised there are this many Anglers on 4chins. Will dump some catches of the last year .

Here is a 61lb blue catfish my nephew caught on my friends boat with me. Lucky asshole.
>>
File: fishnonamous2.jpg (236 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
fishnonamous2.jpg
236 KB, 720x960
>>809850
A 7.5lb bass I caught at a Public Garden that prohibits fishing. :^)
>>
File: fishnonamous5.jpg (71 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
fishnonamous5.jpg
71 KB, 540x540
>>809851
A nice smallmouth I caught on Pepsi's favorite: a Mepps Spinner
>>
File: fishnonamous6.jpg (276 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
fishnonamous6.jpg
276 KB, 1024x683
>>809852
A koi from that same garden. I love sight fishing for them with light tackle.They have sensitive mouths so I use #6 octopus hooks with a "Hair Rig" on a braided leader and light drag. The braid is less noticeable to their mouth and small hooks and small hook keep the hook from tearing out.
>>
>>809853
*Small hooks and light drag
>>
>>809226
not quite. you do need a rod licence though
>>
File: fishnonamous5.jpg (68 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
fishnonamous5.jpg
68 KB, 640x480
>>809853
My favorite freshwater fish to catch has to be the Musky. You get to use big lures and tackle and when you do get catch one, it's rewarding due to their elusiveness. They are unpredictable in their fight as well.
>>
>>809853
holy hell. is that a normal size? dont know much about koi
>>
File: 10242742.jpg (261 KB, 483x792) Image search: [Google]
10242742.jpg
261 KB, 483x792
>>809850
>>809851
>>809852
>>809853
>>809857
You're a good looking Fishman, no homo.
And that's some nice fish, very jealous.
>>
>>809858
They get a bit bigger. They have these koi competions every year and alot of the fish are released into that pond. This was one of my favorite colored ones. Gimme a moment and I will shop some others I've caught.
>>
File: playingkoi1.jpg (82 KB, 640x488) Image search: [Google]
playingkoi1.jpg
82 KB, 640x488
>>809858
Here is another type called a butterfly koi. Zipperheads have another name for it. They have long ,wispy fins.
>>
>>809858
This is the biggest one I've caught. Seen another that is double this size and white and bronze but it is an elusive bastard.
>>
File: playingkoi2.jpg (242 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
playingkoi2.jpg
242 KB, 960x720
>>809867
Sorry here it is
>>
>>809859
Thanks Brü . I need to get off my lazy ass and do some fishing this week.

Any of you guys have experience with snakehead. I've been trying to get SH ever since I was broken off by one bassfishing. What lures you guys use. What structure do they like?
>>
>>809860
>>809865
>>809867
>>809868
thats pretty damn cool. i like the butterfly koi. they arent for eating are they? just for catching?
>>
File: TroutDish.jpg (609 KB, 1773x1330) Image search: [Google]
TroutDish.jpg
609 KB, 1773x1330
>>809874
I would't think so. The Japs almost worship them. Plus the guy who lets me fish the place asked to only catch and release. If I want keep something it will be Trout or smaller catfish.
>>
>>809852
Yeeee

>>809874
They are like colorful carp. There is a real small pond down the street that is only maybe 3' deel across the whole thing, and there are two big koi in there. One is orange and one is white so you can see them wherever they are in this pond.
>>
>>808653

You don't have to fly fish for trout, they'll take bait and spinners. Small mepps, up to size 3 are good. They'll eat worms and sweet corn and bread and marshmallows and fish baits and maggots and powerbait, trout are also known to like garlic flavoured baits.
>>
Just spooled up with braid for the first time ever. What should I expect?
>>
>>809896
Occationally wind knots, and you accedently cutting g your hand when trying to pull free from a snag or when trying to tighten/set a knot
>>
>>809891
thats nice. do people feed them? im reading on wiki that they can live up to 200 years which is cool
>>
>>809887
that fish looks really nice
>>
>>809066

>bottom half tail

Dick can only go mouth.
>>
>>809900
I would make sure it's packed tight on your spool. Go to an empty lot with a mate and have them pull out two cast lengths worth of line. Reel it back in under maximum load. This will cut down on wind knots or backlash. If you are using heavy lures it's best to use a shock leader of mono or fluorocarbon of about 10 feet(or however long it is from your lure to reel when casting) to prevent breaking your lure off during a cast. If you are using a level wind baitcaster this will be difficult getting the mono-to-braid knot to go through. Spinning or conventional reel with no level wind is best. Also if you are tying directly to lures, use a polymer knot as it won't slip. braid works great in heavy vegetation but sucks against timber. If you are fishing against timber a fluorocarbon leader helps. Lastly braid floats, making it ideal for topwater or fishing in current but if you are fishing deep structure or using a vertical presentation fluorocarbon mainline is better since it sinks.
>>
>>809896
Superiority
>>
File: 2016050995222800.jpg (356 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
2016050995222800.jpg
356 KB, 1600x900
>>809902
It was delicious. Cooked in a iron skillet with Bacon, shallot and garlic. Sounds 'Merican but actually was an English recipe.
I also like trout cooked hobo style.
>>
File: playingkoi4.jpg (208 KB, 960x768) Image search: [Google]
playingkoi4.jpg
208 KB, 960x768
>>809891
Go out and catch one. They love bread balls. Just use a braided leader and small hook. Attach a stick float right above the swivel. They feed on top alot so use a short leader from hook to float. This one was a lemon head.
>>
moron hit me in the face with his bobber, dropped my phone in the water, cut up my hand and can't move my thumb, didn't even say anything, he just picked up his shit and walked off real fast

not sure what i grabbed onto in the water but every top joint on my right hand is sliced, managed to cast a few times and reel in another smallmouth but was way too uncomfortable and painful to keep sitting there

waded over to where the asshole hit me before i left and there was two bobbers stuck on the rock, walking past where he was standing on shore was littered with four or five empty bait packages and a pack of 2/0 hooks with one still in them
>>
File: LG 2015 canoe.jpg (286 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
LG 2015 canoe.jpg
286 KB, 3264x1836
>>808781
>How many of you guys fish on bodies are water with "Private: No Fishing" type signs?

I fish here.
>>
>>809915
>filename
Kek
>>
>>809915
Bread balls are my favorite for carp too. Most people have never heard of it but I always did better with bread than corn or carp dough bait.
>>
>>808852
I use a 40lb thrust troll on my 16' deep V. I dont have a reliable outboard so i just cruise the creeks that feed the local resevoirs.
>>
What's the logic behind the neon green and yellow lures? Do fish not see in color?
>>
>>808977
You should send it Benchmade for sharpening and they might throw a new blade on it for you if you tell them you are having troubl>>808977
e keeping an edge.
>>
>>809906
If you over tighten it it will dig into itself and sometimes cause backlashes
>>
was just at Walmart and they are having a clearance sale on a Lews spinning rod/reel combo for $25 so for any noobs looking for a nice beginner setup there you go
>>
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>>810008
I read something like they see differences in shades more than anything. Not sure what the real truth is. All I know is some days the chartruese is the only thing they will hit.
>>
>>808781
Private Property - all the time. As long as you have a rod in your hand you are allowed access to all land/shore/property below the highest tide line which if you measure from a lunar high tide is pretty much 1/2 of these houses backyards. Nothing like chilling in a $50-100 Mil house's backyard and fishing.
>>
>>810034
I usually use mono backing for that
>>
>>810113
Really? That's awesome. I should do that when I one day start surf fishing..
>>
>>810113
>>810130
Depends where you live , where I live ( and I'm assuming the other anon lives ) in ct ( it may be all of long island) anything below the high tide line is owned by the people
>>
So the owner of my dealership has me working at his ranch, witch has some decent size ponds. How long should I wait before fishing in them at lunch?
>>
>>808988
Why don't you get an inflatable kayak? That's what I did - Intex Challenger K1 and a lifejacket for less than $100 and have gone a year on the water without any issues (fish lakes by Philly)
>>
>>810203
Do you need any type of permit or something? Do you launch from the boat ramp?
>>
>>810203
>inflatable
>hooks
Ehhhh
>>
>>810211
I thought that too but ultimately its a non-issue. Just be careful. I bass fish mainly so in theory I should be most at risk for a hook flying into the yak but never have had an issue. The yaks also have two air compartments so if anything goes down with a hook just row to shore as you'll still have a compartment left. Also carry some patching material that you can get from Dicks - popped a little hole in my yak last year from a rock and applied some of that rubber material and its as good as new.

>>810208
Depends on the lake. Essentially you just need whatever permit that certain lake requires for non powered boats. Some don't require anything while others require a launch permit (in my experience) - permits are cheap though in PA, only 10 bucks a year
>>
File: 0707161854-1.jpg (543 KB, 2161x2314) Image search: [Google]
0707161854-1.jpg
543 KB, 2161x2314
What I'm using this afternoon
>>
>>810219
>texas rig for weedless
>add in a snap swivel so that it catches all the weed anyway
>>
>>810219
ditch the piece of shit snap swivel
>>
>>810244
>>810247

Snap swivel haters gonna hate. They're fine and I have a ton of them.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 83

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.