[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishing & Tackle Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 95
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 600x900
#60-">tfw Too Hot" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>799033

Catfishing last night was a failure, although I did kinda half ass it. I guess I'll just go for more bass and sneks today. Only problem is it's so damn hot with this FL sun. I'll probably lounge around, then go waste some money at Bass Pro, and go out to a lake around 5pm or 6pm.

It's Saturday, y'all better be out there too.

Talk about fishin
>>
>>801312
Going back out for fluke tomorrow jigging with light tackle on a partyboat get to use my shimano 300 ej on my abu garcia veritas 2.0.
>>
File: image.jpg (222 KB, 860x574) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
222 KB, 860x574
>>801330
>fishing on the party boat
>>
File: Screenshot_20160624-201647.png (3 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160624-201647.png
3 MB, 2560x1440
lol whats a good 6 ft UL rod for the less monies.
>>
>>801337
I need to make a copypasta for the rods.

For $40 there's the Ugly Stik and Berkley Lightning Rod but the Ugly Stiks are so damn flimsy.

For $60, Fenwick Eagle or Shimano Sellus. But most of the Sellus rods I see are medium weight bass rods.

Bass Pro has their Graphite Series rods for $40, those seem to have decent blanks and Bass Pro will have a million different sizes of them. Otherwise Dick's will have the Field & Stream rods and Cabelas and Gander Mtn have their store-brand ones too which are often pretty nice for the money.
>>
>>801333
I wish it looked like that. I wish I had a boat... I wish...my gf and I didn't break up. Actually no I don't, now I fish all the time. Best thing to happen to me.
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 640x1136
Dude with boats phone is going straight to voicemail, I'm gonna try again in a few.

In better news I found the next reel I'm gonna get. this thing looks sexy as fuck.
>>
>>801350
Whoops forgot muh trip
>>
Frogging here I come
It's sweet having a pond a d water within a mile of my house, I've gone out atleast 4 times a week since ice out
>>
So here is how my day is going
>Go fishing
>Catching nothing
>Go for water
>drop water bottle
>Tfw didn't even get a sip
>Keep fishing
>Still nothing
>Packing up
>Drop rod in water too
>Go swimming to get it back
>Getting dressed
>Big bass explodes on a bluegill less than 20 feet from the dock
>Tfw everything is already put away
>Leaving
>Have to do a log hop on the trail
>Fuck it up
>crash motorcycle
This is how my day is going so far. I give up for today
>>
Pepsi what part of Florida do you work in?
>>
>>801391
The hot part
>>
>>801391
What Skid said.
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 640x1136
Goin to Bass Pro. What else does the list need?

Might grab a pack of chartruese lizards, I think they have 20% off Zoom
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 640x1136
>>801402
Probably goin to the peacock lake so have a couple ideas for that lake
>>
>>801406
Bell sinkers, and big Bobbers (the big round ones, 2+ inches)
>>
>>801410
For the dip bait?

And I do actually need some larger bell sinkers. I have 1/2oz ones but I want 1oz. I was using 2x 1/2oz last night so I could keep the 30lb braid tight.
>>
>>801410
Forgot to add, this Bass Pro doesn't even carry the dip bait. Some Walmarts and Dick's have it, but not all of them.

I have good size bobbers, but none of the sliding ones. I also have 3oz and 4oz pyramid weights I grabbed for saltwater.
>>
>>801413
Yes but no
You cast and set the rod down, pull the line just tight, then make a loop below the largest guide and open the bail
The weight of the Bobber keeps the line tight but if you're not paying attention and get a big hit the float pops loose and freespools the line instead of your rod dragging in the water
>>
Just respooled with 20 lb power pro. I've never used braid before, will I end up bending hooks before breaking my line when I get snagged? I've lost so many nice lures so I'm hoping braid helps with that.
>>
File: 2er3t4y65ui6.jpg (156 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
2er3t4y65ui6.jpg
156 KB, 1080x1920
Can anyone recommend any factual fishing literature? Genereal fishing or history, specific books about various techniques like bass fishing and fly fishing etc

I know the internet holds all of the information anyone could ever need on fishing but I like sitting down with a book while out.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>801428
Depends on the hook and the snag. I have bent hooks on Mepps off of snags before #15 braid breaks
>>
>>801428

Yeah just be really sure to point the rod straight at the snag when pulling or better yet use your hands to pull the line without bending the rod
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>801438
Andi I wish I could find cheaper swimbait hooks sometimes. They want $6-$7 for 3pks and 4pks of some brands. Mustad and Trokar were so pricey. Gamakatsu wasn't quite as bad but even the unweighted ones were overpriced. I think the VMC ones were like $5.50
>>
>>801439
> or better yet use your hands to pull the line without bending the rod

I've cut my hand doing that with flouro, no way I'm trying with braid. Though I've been thinking about carrying a small dowel to wrap the line around and pull on.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
One moar post about my Bass Pro adventure.

I managed to find these lizards. Not sure if they are the same ones the other anon is always talking about. The regular lizards are 6" and the magnums are 8". Best thing was they only had the 5" ones in a couple colors and they managed to have chartruese pepper.
>>
>>801442
>>801439
Yeah don't use your bare hands. If I have a long sleeve shirt or hoodie on, I put a sleeve over my hand first and then wrap it around and pull. Otherwise I normally have a rag with me and use that. Even 10lb braid will fuck up your hand if you try and pull on it without gloves or something. Especially if your hands are wet.
>>
File: IMG_20160625_161516961.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160625_161516961.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
>>801441
A while back dicks had buy 4 get 2 free and buy 5 get 3 free on the Gama katsu hooks and I picked up a bunch
They're good hooks pretty much all I use
They bend at just the right point too
>>801389
WWalk mile and a half
Go fishing first spot
2 bass at 16 inches each
Go to second spot
4 bass at 16 and one at 13
This 25 pound monster (pic related)
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>801453
I got down on that deal too. Dick's doesn't have a great selection of the shakey head stuff. Neither did Bass Pro but I remember I could only find one or two of the shakey head or finesse jigs at Dick's.

What did that tiny guy bite on?
>>
File: IMG_20160625_161039307.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160625_161039307.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
>>801456
I got tired of throwing the frog since the bite slowed down so I wanted to throw some cut bait in hopes of bullhead, eel, etc
So caught one Gill and cut it up threw a chunk out
I tied on one of my micro hooks onto rod 2 (size 26 i believe) and used the tiniest piece if cut bluegill to catch that lil guy
Another one I caught the same way

Now I'm sitting enjoying a free soda and Andy caps hot fries while watching my cut bait rod

Also geese very much dislike andy capps hot fries
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>tfw chartruese pepper

>>801459
>geese dislike hot fries
Topkek
>>
>>801461
Fuckers were crowding my space so I sacrificed a small handful of hot fries

Il tell you what, geese don't like spicy shit, those fuckers freaked out
>>
Fucking dipshit snapping turtle had to go and take my cut bait,
Though surprisingly my 12 lb mono held up once again
>>
>>801348
it does look like that, I have a boat and don't use it enough. my wife has been fishing with me almost every day lately. I thought I'd hate that but it's been OK.
>>
File: 1451179121895.png (295 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1451179121895.png
295 KB, 600x600
>>801470
>tfw no fishing partner gf
>>
Went shore fishing for the first time today. Tried lures, scented worms, and some crabs I grabbed on the rocks. Not so much as a nibble in 3.5 hours.

I still consider it a success as I'm 100% self-taught and didn't have any fatal tangles and all my knots held. Whoever the anon was who said YouTube tutorials would be enough was right.

I snagged kelp on nearly every cast. How do I avoid that?

I snagg
>>
>>801484
If there's kelp on the surface use something sub surface
If there's kelp on the bottom use something suspending
If there's kelp suspending try something across the bottom or on the surface

Just try one different shit, maybe try a Texas rig etc
>>
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>wind coming from the east as always
>fishing on east side of lake so casting with the wind
>sun setting in the west
My head hurts so bad.

I had another decent bass on after I got that first peacock, but then it threw the hook as it dove into the weeds by the dropoff. Not sure if it was a largemouth or peacock, but it was probably a 3lb fish.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Yee this one wasn't bad.

I was watching it chase around bait fish and kept tossing that limetruese trick worm out there. I had him on 3 or 4 times but he wasn't actually getting the hook. Finally got it like the 5th time. I'm amazed it kept going for the worm.
>>
>>801406
Are you in live oak? I probably know you if you deliver to Publix lmao
>>
Finally found limetreuse and merthiolate trick worms after 3 Wal-Mart's and Dicks had none. Bass pro has the hookup. Should be innawater inna hour.
>>
>>801529
No. Broward.

>>801532
Wut is that other color? I was thinking about getting the bubblegum trick worms today but grabbed the limetruese instead. That bigger peacock was oh them. I grabbed the limetruese flukes as well.

Zooms aren't my favorite soft plastics, I really like the Strike King Perfect Plastics and some of the Culprit baits are nice. But the selection of Zoom at Bass Pro and Dick's as well as the sales makes it hard to refuse.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>tfw you get a snook

He was pulling drag on my 4/0 senator with the drag locked down. He's not huge but he put up a fight.
>>
honestly everyone who fishes without using swivel snaps are useless degens
>>
>>801555

Wow,, a googan with a superiority complex, interesting.
>>
>>801555

I'll go without a snap swivel if I have tons of weeds to fish in.
>>
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 960x960
>>801555
Why?

I use them a lot of times but depends on the situation.
>>
Since I know everyone is super worried abut TX fag buying a boat; I went at looked at it today, and everything seems pretty solid. It needs a bit of work, but nothing major and it sounds like a damn racecar. Dudes gonna sell it to me for $1800.

The guy who owns it was really cool too I was there for like 4 hours shootin the shit with him. He really needs the money too, so not only am I getting a boat I get to help someone out too which is a +1 in my book.
>>
File: 10143674.jpg (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
10143674.jpg
12 KB, 500x500
>>801555
yea until the piece of shit gets any tension put on it and just slides off with your lure still attached to the end
>>
>>801576
So when are you gonna get it?

I keep looking at the shit whenever I'm at Bass Pro but even those real basic green Trackers are expensive for a hunk of aluminum. Oh well. I'm sure the used market down here is bretty gud if I ever want to get down on another watercraft.

Did you get insurance quotes or find out what reg for the boat and trailer are gonna run? You got some decent boat launches that won't charge you a bunch for a pass?
>tfw there is a free boat launch into the intercoastal blocks from my house
>>
>>801576
better have at least 5k saved up for maintenance cause no matter how good of condition its in it will always be a money pit. Also what kind of boat is it? bass boat i hope?
>>
File: 18379158.jpg (806 KB, 1037x1350) Image search: [Google]
18379158.jpg
806 KB, 1037x1350
>>801389
My day
>work regular job 630am-230pm
>drive a hour to side job(setting up sound and light systems)
>arrive at 4pm
>finish at 530pm and have to be back by 1130pm to finish up
>have a few hours to kill
>decide to go to the nearest lake reservoir to try out my new rod
>no bank fishing allowed
>no bank fishing allowed in all 3 of the other county lake reservoirs
>all of my county lake reservoirs have bank fishing
>drive home and friend texts me and said he wants to fish after he gets off work at 6
>super excite
>they make him stay a hour extra
>he gets home at 8 and is now too tired to fish
And now I wait a hour before I go back to my side job, will probably be 3am before I get back home.
>>
File: 20160625_204634.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20160625_204634.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
NJ new Fisher here. Time for my continueing depressing adventures in fishing.

Went out for 2 hours. Tried a no 1 aglia mepps and caught nothing.

Then tried to use worm and bait holder hook with a bobbsr and splits hot.

Every time bobber want under I pulled back and caught nothing and lost my worms.

One time worm was gone and a miniature log stick was hooked.

Tried jig and grub and caught mothing

Tried jig and worm and grub with bobber and fish ran off with worm.

So all in all I caught a bunch of weeds and a Mini log.

Nice old dude gave me q container of nightcrawlers and said I'd catch bluegills every time I drop my line if I fished on pic related but I just ended up feeding them.

Am I doing something wrong?
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 640x1136
>>801587
I've been digging those fast lock snaps. I ran the ones like in your pic forever and then grabbed a couple packs of the snaps. They are smaller so don't stand out nearly as much as the swivels and they seem more sturdy.
>>
File: 20160625_204638.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20160625_204638.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
>>801593
>>
>>801595
I threw every snap I had like that last pic I posted away. as soon as any pressure is put on that brass sheath it just slides off the wire and then there is nothing holding the two pieces together and you get fucked. switched to something like the second clip in your pic which I havnt had any problems with so far
>>
>>801593
So when you said you put on the bobber and split shots, were you using live worms of plastic worms? If you had plastic worms and grubs on the bobber, it's not suprising you didn't get anything.

And that happens where panfish will pull on the tails of nightcrawlers and stuff and drag the bobber under. If I'm using whole nightcrawlers on a bobber, I try and cast it out far enough that bluegill don't fuck with it and only bass or larger stuff will take it. If I'm just going for panfish, I will do a small hook with half a nightcrawler, wax worms, or those red/trout worms.
>>
>>801588
To register the boat it's $64 and I haven't looked at it for the trailer, but I don't think it'll be too expensive. I'm probably not going to get insurance since it isn't required here.

Not sure about the passes for boat launches in my immediate area. I'm 95% sure the one at the lake closest to my house is free or like $5. I know none of the lakes around here ass rape you though, so I'm not too worried about that either.

Even if I just get a couple weekends of use out of it this year I'll be happy enough.

>>801593
Try letting the fish take the bait a little longer before you set the hook.

>>801591
No negative waves anon. It is a bass boat. I should be able to fix most of it myself if anything goes wrong. I'm sure I'll end up spending more money to make it look nice though, but at the moment all I care is that it floats and runs.
>>
>>801599
Can you post a pic of the size hook I should use?

How should I be loading worm? I was twisting it onto the thing and impaling it several times.

>>801604
How does setting hook work? Im not sure ive heard that term before.
Another question too. My line is now very green. Is that normal?

Also whenever I casted out a ton of line was stuck on the top of the water. When I try to pull it back in it brings the lure closer instead.

What am I doing? I should probably just download fishing for dummies.

I really thought I would have caught something on Aglia #1. I was just casting it out and reeling it back in slowly with rod pointed forward.
>>
>>801609
If you don't have a friend to teach you use Google and YouTube. There are endless videos on fishing. You can learn every knot, rigging, how to use lures, tips on setting the hook, finding fish and so on YouTube.

Here's a link to fishing terminology incase you don't know what something means http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/tips/fishing-terminology
>>
>>801609
>setting the hook
When you pull up on the rod when the fish takes your bait. On a lot of lures it's that action that actually causes the fish to get hooked. Like when you watch videos of people fishing, and they jerk the rod up real quick, they're setting the hook.

>worms on hook
I always cut up night crawlers into 4ths if I'm fishing for panfish and just make sure it's impaled a couple times.

>line
You probably won't be able to have a very tight line with a bobber on. And especially with mono if you're getting the loops.
>>
File: IMG_20160625_215952.jpg (2 MB, 1973x1479) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160625_215952.jpg
2 MB, 1973x1479
>>801330

That veritas get its ass kicked? Thats a little too light imo lol
>>
Hi guys, Albertafag here. I went fishing for the first time today. Despite the lake I went to being a little busy, I had a great time.

Do you guys know if trout and pike go after each others respective bait? I don't think they do, but I'm curious.
>>
File: mrsnook.jpg (335 KB, 603x657) Image search: [Google]
mrsnook.jpg
335 KB, 603x657
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 665x279) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 665x279
>>801609
So you never answered my question- were you using live worms when you switched to the hook and bobber? Or did you put plastic worms on there?

And when I rig live worms on a "baitholder hook" I will stick the hook through the very tip of the worm and kinda thread the hook through the worm so the (live) worm goes up the shank of the hook and then hook it through once more in the middle. Ends up where like have the worm is dangling and the hook goes through it twice. Otherwise they can get off. There are a million ways to do it though.

For rubber worms, I normally do Texas rigs. Cast them out, let them fall to the bottom, and hop them along the bottom with 1-3 second pauses between hops. Pic related will show a Texas rigged soft plastic worm (I think).

And setting the hook- if you are using live worms on a bobber, you want to let the fish drag the bobber under the water for a couple seconds before you tighten up the line and yank on the rod a little to set the hook. With Texas rigs, kinda the same thing. When you feel a bite, give the fish a second or two to grab the whole bait, then tighten up the line real quick and yank the rod. Mepps with a regular retrieve sort of set the hook themselves, as do crankbaits.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>801624
>>801609
That was a bad pic. That was actually a "shakey head" rig. Here is a Texas rig. Use this with the soft plastic worms, lizards, and crawdads. Those are what the "offset worm hooks" are used for.

If using live worms, "baitholder hooks" are a better choice. You will see how they have extra barbs on the shank of the hook to keep live worms on without wiggling off.
>>
File: monsters.jpg (480 KB, 990x637) Image search: [Google]
monsters.jpg
480 KB, 990x637
These other guys got some huge snook. I had hooked a second snook on a sand perch but he got off.
>>
>>801633
>>801619
Damn... Looks gud
>>
Are saltigas worth it?
>>
>>801350
Bought the same reel about 3 months ago. Couldn't be happier with it
>>
>>801646
Those Smoke reels seem to be great, casting and spinning. I think it's the Accurist that is a POS and makes people shit on Quantum.
>>
>>801638
Yes, but only if you're going after serious fish (GTs, marlin, tuna, etc).
>>
>>801646
It looks killer. I might get me one in the future.

Is it weird that whenever someone says shimano I automatically assume it's a spinning reel? I know they kinda ruled memecasting scene for awhile, but I always think of spinning reels when they're mentioned.
>>
>>801651
I see
I'll stick to my phantom J then
>>
File: IMG_20160625_202915613.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160625_202915613.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
My 45 pounder
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
So I've asked about the bait binders a couple times and nobody here seems to use them.

Anybody else have good ideas on how to organize the bags of soft plastics? Pic related is just the creature baits, then I have another gallon ziploc filled with worms and one more with swimbaits and flukes.

It's becoming a pain in the ass now. My tackle bag holds 5x 3700 flat boxes, and then on top before I close the flap, I stick that little 6-compartment box and the bag of swimbaits. Then the right side pocket of the bag has creature baits crammed in there and the right side is worms.

I want to keep the soft plastics somewhere else so I could stick the little 6 compartment box in a side pocket and then grab a 3600 box and probably put that on top of the 5 x 3700s before I zip up the flap. Then I could put some of my overflowing cranks and some of the stuff I use a ton in the 3600 and it would be right on top.

>tl;dr: where to put all these soft platstics???
>inb4 leave them at home
>>
>>801662
>holding a 45 pounder in your palm
You're a big guy
>>
>>801686
You know it bb
I would have liked to fish hat spot a bit longer but there was some kid there fishing who may have been autisim

Thrashing about and splashing his bobber all around

Fished a second spot after dark where some drunk fucks started throwing rocks at me in my kayak until I almost blinded them with my 1200 lumen headlight
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>801675
Pic shows the bag full of swimbaits and the little box that goes on top of all the other boxes before I squeeze the pocket full. I think I could def fit a 3600 on there if I kept the soft plastics somewhere else and was able to put that little box in a side pocket again.
>>
>>801675

Organize them by type, craws, creatures, sticks, worms, lizards. Put those groups into larger labeled ziploc bags. Put the bags of bags into to an appropriate sized sterrilite type container.
>>
Guys how the hell do you put line on a spinning reel? I've studied 5-6 youtube videos, follow their instructions completely and still get line tangles, twists and knots. When I open the bail the line literally jumps off the reel and twists like crazy.

One of the most frustrating things I've ever done in my life desu.

stren 8lb monofilament on an ugly stick rod/reel combo
>>
>>801704

braid
>>
>>801703
>>801703
Mine are organized into
Worms
Creatures/craws
Swimbaits
Jerkbaits (and other things to run on jig head)
Frogs and lizards (only place I had room for lizzards)

Then I have a 3600 box full of miscellaneous soft plastics
>>
>>801675
Are you using all the Plano boxes for hard baits? I'd just put them in there.

>>801704
Make sure it's going on tight, and then once it's spooled run the reel under somehot water. Then let it sit overnight with tension on the line if you're still worried about it.
>>
>>801704
Are you overfilling it?

I just feed it through the first guide and keep some tension on the line while reeling it. Then stop when there is about 1/8" left on the top end of the reel spool.

>>801703
Like a tupperware container? That seems kinda annoying to carry around.

I have this little soft sided lunchbox that holds 4 bottles of water or maybe a 6pk of cans. I'm thinking maybe one of those might be good to fit the packages all in vertically almost like files in a file cabinet. Plus it has an arm strap and everything.

There's still the option of a second, smaller tackle bag too but that doesn't help much with all the soft plastics. I do still want that little Gander Mtn bag tho. Buying a new big main bag is worthless too because it will still hold the same 5 x 3700 boxes and none of them have anywhere near enough space to put all those soft plastics in any of the pockets. And the worm binders don't look like they would fit half the stuff and would end up being super bulky anyway.
>>
File: oieiqgxk635561504511019724.jpg (26 KB, 600x355) Image search: [Google]
oieiqgxk635561504511019724.jpg
26 KB, 600x355
>>801704
It's easy to rig something like this up with a few clamps, a piece of dowel and an old rag to put pressure on the spool. Make sure that your drag is done up tight and that the line is going on very tight.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>801715
>>801711
I have one of the 3700 boxes filled with Gulp, Powerbait, and small stuff like grubs already, plus 3 gallon Ziploc bags full of soft plastics. The Gulp bags can leak so I like having them in a box. No way would I want to put all those into 3700 boxes because you really can't fit many bags into each box.

Then I have another 3700 box with jigs, jigheads, weighted worm hooks, and a bunch of loose soft plastics.
>>
>>801443

I've never used the 5", but the 6" lizards in junebug/chartreuse are like bass candy in my area.
>>
>>801691
Sounds like karma for your elder abuse
>>
>>801728
definatley, i gave him some hooks since he dint have any an broke off, its not like i fished for 6 hours prior to that at a different spot and god a dozen or so largemouths an a bunch of gills etc
>>
>>801715
I'll have to try the warm water, if I can get it on the reel in the first place
>>801717
No the reel can hold 200 yds of 8lb mono, and I can't even get 50 yds on haha. I know if it starts to twist then you flip the spool over, so I try that but it just twists again on the other side. Real weird. It's frustrating because I know it's something I'm doing wrong, just don't know what, so I don't know how to correct it. Bah!
>>801720
I might try to make something like that. So many people in videos etc just plop the spool on the ground and have no problems solo'ing it. I think the experienced people making beginner videos have forgotten exactly what it's like to be a total beginner.
>>
>>801731
OK anon I forgive you
>>
Any of you guys ever use Zoom's 4" Dead Ringer for bass? It's been my #1 worm here for the past few weeks.
>>
>>801733
I hold the rod (past the first couple eyes) with my right hand and run the line through my fingers. Then reel it in with my left. You have to keep tension on the line when you spool it.
>>
>>801733
as weird as it sounds, have you tried flipping the spool of line over? i know youre supposed to do label up to help keep it all neat, but i have one of my spools that i need to spool on upside down or i get the same issue as you
maybe try putting on 10-15 yards and see if it still jumps off

Also had a total derp moment today
> go out to go in kayak
> get to lake
>drag kayak to water
>realize i dont have paddle with me forgot it at home
>fuk
> sit there and cast from shore for 30 min feeling like a retard
>>
>>801735
they were even my good ones, Gamakatsus, Mostly because thats all i had in the right size and i didnt want to give him hooks too large
Circle hooks too so he hopefully wouldnt gut hook a bunch of gills
>>
File: 20160510_203851.jpg (4 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160510_203851.jpg
4 MB, 4032x3024
>>801720

This is going to put twist in the line because it is coming off the spool, then twisting to go around the reel. You want to lay the spool flat so that the line is coming off the same way it would come off the reel.

If using mono, run the spool under hot water for 5mins after its spooled. With help it take the shape of the reel.
>>
>>801770
I can guarantee you that the twist is going to be negligible, otherwise every time that you cast and retrieve a lure or bait the twist would be unmanageable due to the line coming off and going back onto the reel at different angles.
>>
Do flounder bite at night? I'm in a canal off the inlet in cherry grove catching croaker and pinfish. But should I try for other fish? Do reds, fliunder, blues, etc bite at night?
>>
>>801801
Blues certainly do if theyre around, tpwater is sometimes good at night around here in the northeast for blues, and strippers
>>
How many people, on average, are involved in a fishing thread?
>>
>>801461
Wait, did you catch another peacock since that first one? Sorry if I mispelled jm drinking like a bastard my negore frien
>>
>>801624
Live worms yes.
>>
>>801624
Am I using my mepps correctly?

SO far I just tied it on to my line with clinch knot and cast it out and reel it back in with my rod pointing towards water.

I also bought gold rapala minnow original swimbait someone suggested. Haven't tried it yet though or my #3 Mepps. I figured id try to catch some bluegill first but shit didn't work out.
>>
>>801812
>inb4 LOL STRIPPERS?! I WANNA FISH WITH YOU XDDDDD
>>
>>801827
I caught 2 yesterday afternoon. Or this afternoon if you are still awake from last night.

>>801826
Just one-me. I am all of the tripfags and anons except for the one shitposter although that is me sometimes too.

>>801839
It's good to give the rod tip little twitches while reeling it in too. Right after the twitch, when you bring the rod tip back forward, the Mepps will pause for a split second and sometimes fish will hit on the pause.
>>
>>801587
If you're too lazy to tie a new knot every time you switch lures then at least get the rounded snaps like this obnoxious tripfag posted >>801595. If you're tying on lures then you have a more natural action from them. Oblong swivels disrupt that action, whereas the rounded ones give more free range of motion.
>>
>>801675
Berkley Soft Bait Binder. Looks like you're just buying shit to buy it rather than actually using it.

>inb4 leave them at home

That's what you should do, though. You're a fucking idiot if you're hauling every lure and piece of soft plastic you own with you every time you go fishing. Get a two-tier stowaway box, fill up each side with lures that you know you'll use for the fish you're targeting and call it good. Stop being a mentally ill hoarding know-nothing.
>>
File: spro_IMG_0708.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
spro_IMG_0708.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>801555
>swivel snaps
useless for real fish.
>>
File: battle_IMG_0710.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
battle_IMG_0710.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>801555
and checked trips
>>
>>801742
Your day isn't nearly as bad as mine was
>Go to lake
>catching nothing
>Go out on a dock
>Still catching nothing
>Try to get my water
>Drop it in the lake
>Didn't even get a sip of water
>Keep fishing
>Nothing
>Drop rod in water
Strip to underwear to Get it back
>Burning feet on metal dock
>Get it out and start packing up
>See bluegill get eaten by bass 20 feet from dock
>Leave pissed off
>Crash motorcycle
>Get home
>have to mow
>Steep part
>Mower wheelies, loops, and falls on me

I'm scared to do anything today
>>
>>801704
http://fishingnoob.com/114/how-to-load-line-on-a-spinning-reel/
and the image you posted is the correct way assuming the manufacturer spooled it properly.
>>
>>801720
do NOT use this or make something like it.
>>
>>801801
>Do flounder bite at night
Not as a rule.
>>
>>801891
>>801884
>salty anon is so salty
You ever actually use the bait binders? It just looks like the things wouldn't even close by the time you get a dozen bags in there. Or maybe put like 4-5 of each soft plastic in each of the little "pages" and then you could have 20-30 different soft plastics.

I have been thinking about them but can't actually find anybody who uses one.
>>
>>801839
Watch the action of it, or any lure, as you're reeling it in. See how speed reeling affects it, twitching, jerking, etc. Learn how to make it dance and then dance with the fish.
>>
>>801946
Stop sucking so much at life Skid. I don't know how you ride a motorcycle everywhere and aren't dead yet.

I imagine you as a gay Tommy Boy.

>>801770
Idk how you guys have so much problem with the line twist. I normally just set the spool on the ground and kinda let it roll around all over and flop around. Never had any issues with the twist.
>>
>>801964
Yea I literally do the same thing. I pull the line threw the first and biggest eylet and down to my reel. Then I just put my hand on the rod and line to make some tension and then just crank away. Done that all my life and never ever had a problem
>>
They have caught a 91, 105 and 117 pounder all in the past 7 months at this one lake in NC. The 117 was caught just a few days ago. I'm thinking about paying it a visit, maybe catch Sir Nibblesworth a baby blue for a roommate while I'm there.
>>
>>801977
*91, 105, 117 pound blue catfish
>>
>>801964
>I imagine you as a gay Tommy Boy
Yeah pretty much

>>801964
>Stop sucking so much
But that's all I'm good at.
>>
File: largemouth.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
largemouth.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
Lake Wood, Odessa Florida, yesterday.
>>
>>801949
I use something like that all the time and I haven't died yet

>>801978
Pics or gtfo
>>
>>801997
>>801964
Seriously though should I try to fish today? I wish my 4 weight wasn't still in the mail I could go have a ball fly fishing for bluegills
>>
>>802000
Czeched
>>
>>802002
Just go do it. I wanted to get out early this morning but I also wanted to sleep so I fucked that up. And no afternoon fishing today since I got some shit to do around 5pm. Might as well go and deal with the heat.
>>
File: _sitting_tiger__by_leopatra.jpg (151 KB, 643x842) Image search: [Google]
_sitting_tiger__by_leopatra.jpg
151 KB, 643x842
Bass fishing at my local lake is so fucking boring. They don't even put up a fight they just let me reel them in and let them go, maybe I'll get one jump out of the small guys if I'm lucky . Even meme sized fluke are more fun to catch.
>>
File: 91.jpg (54 KB, 288x314) Image search: [Google]
91.jpg
54 KB, 288x314
>>802000
>>
File: 105.jpg (39 KB, 640x460) Image search: [Google]
105.jpg
39 KB, 640x460
>>802000
>>802024
>>
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>>802020
Get an ultralight
>>
File: 117.jpg (115 KB, 1140x712) Image search: [Google]
117.jpg
115 KB, 1140x712
>>802000
>>802027
And a kid caught the biggest. JUST
>>
>>801484

Live shrimp is the crack of the ocean. Everything goes nuts over it.

Try that under a popping cork. I've caught SOMETHING doing that even on days when I and everyone else on the pier/beach weren't getting any fish.
>>
I hate most bass "fishermen".

There I said it.

They spends thousands of dollars on cuckcasters, crankbaits and shimano hats yet a child with a $20 walmart combo and some plastic worms usually outfishes them.
>>
>>802044
I wish I had thousands of dollars worth of Shimano hats
>>
>>802032
>that head to body ratio

kek
>>
>>801839

Ever seen a wounded/dying bait fish? Try to make your lure do that.

Cast into shallow/clear water and watch the action as you vary speeds, twitches, stops, etc.

Like most predators, fish like an easy meal. They home right in on the weak/slow/sick/injured, but not quite dead prey item.

They also often like to hide in cover and run out to ambush their prey: tall grass, submerged branches, lillpads, weedlines, big rocks, logs, shadow of stuff overhanging the water etc. Especially near the bank if it isn't to shallow, which usually means a couple inches. Largest fish I've caught have all been in less than a foot or 2 of water and all within a dozen feet of the shore.

This is why you always try to fish around cover too.
>>
>>802024
>>802027
>>802033
Ohhh I thought you said that YOU had caught those. Man I would love to reel me in a fish that big.

>>802044
Do you hate them because they spend that much money, or because they think they're good since they have all that stuff?
>>
>>802053
Because they think they're good mostly.
>>
>>802024
>>802027
>>802033

I just love how fish stop getting longer and justt start getting so comically huge after a certain point.

You'd figure that half the issue with catching them is the fish itself summoning the strength/willpower to move its fat ass after your bait.

Also, I heard they were caught on cut shad, but what about the rest of their rigs/tackle?
>>
>>802054
Yeah that bothers me too. I mean I buy a bunch of stuff I don't really need because I like new fishin stuff, but I don't think I'm KVDâ„¢
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>802059
Collecting is fun though. And with that, I can go through some trial and error. It took me so damn long to find out what the peacocks will bite and I'm getting better at catching those summer bass.
>>
>>802000
trips checked, maybe my issue was complicated by it being heavier braid?
I put the spool on a pencil and stuck that between my toes. $30 essentially wasted on the line, $30 wasted on a lure when line snapped. Just a god-awful disaster. Every cast knotted with these little twisty clusters.
Last reel I spooled I did the 'lay it on the floor label up' thing and every cast has been like butter.
>>
>>802080

What kind of braid? Spiderwire- especially the stealth braid stuff- has lots of issues with twisting and snagging, but Powerpro is pretty good.

I've also taken to using a mono/fluoro leader to avoid losing expensive braid and making it easier to break off when I get snagged.
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-26+at+11.57.18).jpg (70 KB, 462x572) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-26+at+11.57.18).jpg
70 KB, 462x572
picked up some new dumb shit at canadian tire for $10 (it was $16 or so but i gave the cashier a thick wad of canadian tire money and watched her count it for like 5 minutes), old chinese hermit looking dude was slaying bass this morning, showed me his """"unique"""" line which was just a texas rig but the dude barely spoke english anyway so here i am

now im pretty sure i bought the wrong hook because of the way the worm bends at the top and the weight looks a little too big (it's 1/4 oz i think, canadian tire only sold this one weight (thanks assholes)), can't really see why it would be much of a deal but it's hot as fuck and these fish are basically celebrating ramadan

>>802087

i have spiderwire, can confirm. it's cheap as hell compared to the other shit they sell at canadian tire though
>>
>>802080
I don't know, I've never used heavier braid on a spinning reel. I've done it with mono plent of times and haven't had any trouble. If you kept your line tight while you were spooling it I don't see why it would have caused problems though. The only other thing I can think of is you might have put too much line on there.

I think major retailers should just get giant spools of braid then let you get the length you want for like 10 cents a yard. That would be cool.
>>
>>802087
>What kind of braid
powerpro. The lure just snapped off on a cast that turned into a bird's nest and stopped short. Shock leader may have helped but I've caught about $40 worth of lures in the last week so .... karma...
>>
>>802089
What's up with the bend in that hook?

And 1/4oz isn't bad with worms. It will keep them down on a windy day. I like a little lighter if the fish are being picky and I want it to fall slower. But I use 1/2oz on baitcasters a lot so I can launch them really far.

One day I hope to visit the famed "Canadian Tire". It sounds like a magical place.
>>
>>802092

no clue, i kept trying to find hooks that weren't bent weird at the top but still had that bottom bend for the rig, didn't find shit

my local canadian tire has a pretty garbage selection of hunting/fishing stuff, they've had a sign up saying they will improve their selection for a few weeks now

SAIL would be my first choice, it's a two floor store with this cool taxidermy moose (like the whole thing on a stand, not the head, but they do have a lot of mounts in the firearms (speaking of which, my canadian tire doesn't even sell firearms, just a really really small amount of ammunition) section)

i love how the employees at SAIL actually fucking know things about what they're selling, canadian tire employees at my local store just bump into you and can't even point you in the right direction for pretty standard things
>>
>>802090
Definitely wasn't overfilled and I was actually thinking I may have spooled it too tight. I wear a filet glove and hold the line but that is the same way I always spool. Only thing different was the spool on the pencil.

I really need to check what the little shops charge to spool the reel. It has to be a per yard cost.
>>
>>802096
Huh, then I don't know.

And I know all the big places (gander, cabelas, bass pro) will spool it for free if you buy whatever line you want. I just think it'd be cool to be able to buy enough braid to put on a reel without ending up with like 50 extra yards I'll never use.
>>
File: image.jpg (986 KB, 3264x1807) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
986 KB, 3264x1807
>>802095
They didn't have regular offset shank worm hooks?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
Me only catch of the day besides another pesky bullfrog that I got a funny video of going after my frog
>>
>>802106
Kek, I can't believe he actually got that thing. Sometimes bass have such shitty aim going for topwater stuff.
>>
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
Honestly I cant tell if I'm just catching the same dumb fish every day

Fins look different though
>>
Imma be fishing down the jersey shore today from the shore not on a boat. I plan on going for fluke it's going be around 2 PM. I'm a new Fisher I will be using a bucktail and teaser also with some bait either fake or eel whatever the tackle shop had.

Am I doing anything wrong. Is there better fish to fish for at the time and location I'm going at?
>>
>>802109
your telling me, that was the only landed fish out of 7-8 blow ups. still fun as shit tho
>>
>>802106
Holy shit, dat duckweed
>>
Are the Tracker boats at Bass Pro any good? They have a lot of bad reviews on Facebook but it seems like most of them are actually due to their local BPS just having shitty customer service.
>>
>>801675
Get a backpack. I use one and can fit 4 big boxes and couple smaller ones, like 30 bags of plastics, line, tools, snacks and drinks. Plus there's room left over for whatever. The weight sucks but at least you get to throw it over 2 sholders instead of one.
>>
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133 KB, 640x1136
>>802150
I like the backpack idea, I bought one for my little brother and it holds 4 x 3600 boxes and then has a big compartment on top to put whatever in.

I think my plan is still to grab thay real small Gander Mtn bag and keep some main stuff in that so I can carry that when I have long walks and leave my big bag in the car. But I still want to get rid of all the soft plastic bags in my main tackle bag. I'm debating trying the soft sided lunchbox and see how many I could fit in there.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>802152
I'm thinking about something like this soft sided cooler bag for all the soft plastics. Just carry it along with my tackle bag and free up that space.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>802157
Not too bad. This shit would never fit in one of those bait binders. And I have many, many stick worms I forgot about.
>>
>>802164
>>802157
>>802152
I bet you will never use even a quarter of those lures. You bring way too much stuff man. Take your most productive lures and leave the rest.
>>
>>802189
That's the plan when I finally get back up to Gander Mtn. I can grab that little tackle bag and just leave the big bag in my car.

And I have used more than a quarter of them. It's fun to try different stuff and have lots of options.
>>
File: image.jpg (800 KB, 1446x2095) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
800 KB, 1446x2095
>>802191
I love my big gander bag. Fits almost everything I own in one big box
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>#2hot2fish
>#moreturtlesthanbass

I haven't been to this lake in like a year but it seems like a decent spot. There are actually 2 lakes that are connected by a little creek. The one is by a big park with baseball fields and the other is behind a library and a bunch of houses. I have gone to the one by the library a couple times and never really had luck. The water is fairly murky which I prefer over crystal clear water, the lakes aren't tiny ponds, and I never see a ton of people fishing there so it cold be a good spot for largemouth if I come at the right time with the right lures. Didn't have much time today to play around though so maybe I will be back.
>>
>>802191
>>802246
forgot to mention due to my increase in use of soft plastics i've bought as many if not more than you even and I just separate them by type (craw, senko, fluke, brush hog, etc..) and then put each type in a big ziploc with what is in there labeled across the front. I keep em stuffed in that top clear pocket and it fits pretty gud
>>
>>801437
John Skinner
>>
Dick's is having a really good sale on those mirrolure but I already bought some gulp this week. I tried to keep my weekly spending on fishing shit less than $20.

How are those mirrolure for surf fishing anyway. They seems hot on the east coast, but nobody even know of them on the west coast where I live. How are the casting distance for them?
>>
>>801826
WI anon reporting in, MUH WALLEYE

I haven't been out in a week now, too busy working and sleeping. Gotta rebuild my bluegill stash.
>>
>>802041
>>801487
Ty based anons

What about tides? The online guide I found said low tide was best for halibut. Is it pointless to fish for them at other times?
>>
>>802264
Are you fishing in california?

Tide is really dependent on location. I think low tide is easier for beginner to see structures and holes. However, Hide tide works for certain spots that you know that the structures are there from previous scouting during low tide.

Kelp is indeed a bitch right now. Sometimes, I have to switch away from my favorite spot due to kelp. The nice spots are also covered with kelp since the area that the current pushing the baitfish to for the predators would also have a lot of kelp pushed there by the current.
>>
>>802246
There's no way mine would all fit in that pocket. It was 3 gallon sized ziploc bags crammed full.

I was looking at other bags but I donMt want to replace the trusty old Plano for any of the current stuff. I would rather just get a second smaller guy. One thing I hate is that pretty much all of the current bags that hold 5x3700 boxes are so much larger physically yet won't hold anymore. They are nice with all the extra pockets and those big Plano bags with the rubber base that drains out water but so fucking big. Carrying around a 3700 size of those bags would be near impossibe. The 3600 ones are a more reasonable size, but those are like the same size as my 3700 bag with all of the extra shit on them.

Maybe one day I will get either the small Gander Mtn bag or a basic 3600 like the Plano Weekender for carrying around and then a fuckhueg boat back that will hold 6-7 3700 boxes and keep it in the car.

And after walking around a little, I like having the soft plastics in that lunch bag. Took a lot of weight out of my main bag so the strap doesn't dig into me so much. Now I have to carry 2 bags which sucks, but there's no way all those soft plastics will fit in any tackle bag with the rest of my shit.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I also grabbed a 3600 box since I got those soft plastics out of my bag. I'm going to put some of my most used stuff in this one for now and lay it on the very top of my bag so I don't have to dig through the other 5 boxes for shit and I could carry it along with me instead of the whole bag.

Found th 4" lizards at that Walmart too but that was the only color they had. I will give em a try. I fucking hate Walmart so much. Especially down here because it's all Haitians working there and they are generally shitty people (racism aside).
>>
>>801487
>>802264
The problem are floating kelp that move really fast around with the wave/ current. If they catch on your line, they will catch on the lure eventually. Sometimes, they will somehow make the line wrap around into a mess as well.

If I absolutely want to fish where are kelp are, I usually texas rig a super fluke with a weighted hook 1/8 since itmake a really small profile tk avoid weeds. Casting distance suck but it doesn't matter since the farther I cast, the more likely I get snagged with weed.

Also, there are also weedless jig head (jig head with weedguard) called war bait that might be great if you like using soft plastic swimbait like big hammer that cost a bit more than standard jig head. I didn't try them out though since I never really have much success with BH soft plastic swimbait yet.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
>>802300
You talking about these things?

I always wondered if those work as well as Texas rigging or using the swimbait hooks with the little corkscrew and just weedless rigging those. I have an old ass floating frog with that wire deal over the hook but never really used it. And I'm not a big fan of the brush jig style of weedguard.
>>
>>801949
Listen to this anon if you're an idiot. I'm >literally a charter boat owner and chase marlin and GTs 9 months of the year and I spool all my reel this way
>>
File: 20160224_184847.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160224_184847.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>801437
>>802256

The lord of bass and fluke himself lol
>>
Actually considering spending 2-400$ on another new rod and reel

That or I could set up a few rods/reels all for cheaper and try to get my selection more uniform
>>
>>802392
How can I have your life
>>
>>801604
Only 64$, I'm guessing your not really in texas?
>>
>>802408
I sorta fell into the position. I was a deckhand for two large charter businesses that merged and then acquired a few new boats. Got my coxswain's and was good to go. I love my work but it's not as great as it sounds. If I didn't have a partnership with the company I'd only be making just over minimum wage. The weather determines how often I can go out and if I don't get the customers hooked up it impacts on myself and the company (feedback from word of mouth and social media literally control the entire charter industry here in Australia). You have to deal with idiot customers who want to chase marlin even though they've never caught a fish before, customers who want to gaff and kill protected species and lazy deckies who have no intention of bettering themselves. I also still occasionally gets sea sick, which is not great when you're responsible for the lives of 10 people on board and you can't even see straight.

Beats working retail though!
>>
File: image.jpg (229 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
229 KB, 640x1136
>>802412
Registration + transfer of title?
>>
>>801856
Can confirm I am Pepsi as well.
>>802095
That's a swim bait hook I think.
>>802264
I've always had success on an incoming tide myself.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
Catfishing in a small lake with dip bait. Should I expect much?
>>
>I am a disgust sexist pig in the car last night and it is a balcony safe lightning fast and easy to use.
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 357x462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 357x462
>>802415
I reccomend checking the pwd 143 pdf, but if you haven't checked it out (which I'm just guessing) typically they have you add up things from how long it has/hasn't been registered, how much you money you paid (for taxes) etc. when I purchased my John in Austin the guy was cool and signed off only on 100$, but there's a different form with the chart for adding fees, is he going with you to TPW on the day of sale?
>>
>>802264
Outgoing try to target mouths of rivers, or salt ponds etc
In theory bait fish are getting washed out so at the mouth big fish wait

Though my knowledge is on east coast fishing
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Now that I'm home, I need to decide what to keep in this 3600 box that will be on the very top. Gonna keep some Texas rig stuff in there since I have been going through those a lot lately. I have high hopes for those 1/8oz bullet weights. I normally don't run the rigs that light but I think the picky fish will like it.

>>802404
STRIPPERS!!!

>>802424
Just move around if you aren't getting anything in one spot after 15-20min. I think that is where I always fuck up.
>>
>>801856
Can confirm I am Pepsi as well.
>>802095
That's a swim bait hook I think.
>>802264
I've always had success on an incoming tide myself.
>>
>>802413
It still sounds like a really cool gig.

>>802427
Fugg thanks anon. At least he knocked off $200 so I'll have the extra monies to do it right away.
>>
>>802427
>is he going with you to TPW on the day of sale?

I missed this. He is.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>802429
I love the setup of these Plano boxes from Walmart. Bass Pro wants like $7 for a single, basic 3600 or 3700 box with the shitty latches and these boxes from Walmart with the different size compartments are only $2.88.

Bass Pro does tend to rip you off on that little stuff that you need though and aren't willing to take an extra trip for. Bullet weights are the same, Walmart has those ~10pks for 94¢ and if you want basic lead bullets from Bass Pro, they want like $4 for a 10pk of their painted lead ones.
>>
>>802434
Good don't forget you also have to register the motor if its outboard, and take the online boater education course( tho I've done neither and probably won't) btw have you fished any lakes in Austin Tx
>>
>>802433
>It still sounds like a really cool gig.
It is yeah. It's hard at first because when you think you're going to work on a charter boat, you think you'll be fishing all day. Most days I don't even touch a line or lure, unless my deckies are being particularly lazy. It really is more of a boat operator job, but you still have to know what you're looking for to find the fish. If it was any other job I would've quit because the money isn't fantastic, but it's nice to be out on the ocean at least once a week.
>>
>online boater education course
Yeah that's only $20¿ and all online so that's not too big of deal

>btw have you fished any lakes in Austin Tx
I don't think so. Maybe when I was really young with my dad. I've lived near DFW for most of my life, and I've only really gotten back into fishing the past year or so.
>>
>>802439
Forgot to link cause I'm a tard
>>802444

>>802440
Yeah I don't know if I'd want to do it full time, but if I could do it on weekends shit would be cash.
>>
>>802446
Get a deckie job mate, charter boats are always looking for casual deckhands
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>802436
Wut do you goys think? This will be my lil go-to box and then the small one will be for random soft baits and loose Texas rigs because I'm aftaid of putting soft plastics near other lures.
>>
>>801593
Anon where you at I'll come fish with you
>>
>>802440
Think o should try to be a deck hand on a walleye charter boat even though it would be an hour commute both ways every day?
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Who else here /pre-tiedTexasrigs/?

I think I got Miami anon to start doing it. I like being able to swap out weights and hook sizes real quick. Plus then I can have the flouro leader without having to tie uni-unis and dig through different tackle boxes with the sun beating down on me.

>>802451
>4chan, bringing autists together since 2003
>>
>>802466
> too lazy to tie one single knot

I bet you use snap swivels for all your lures as well
>>
anyone hae experience with the mitchell reels?
>>
>>802473
I had a Mitchell years ago and it served me well. Passed it on to my lil bro and it's still smooth. I have had my eye on those black and green Mitchell 300 Pros.

>>802468
Depends. Uni-Uni knots so I can run the leader can be a bitch when the sun is setting and I just had a huge bite run my hook into a snag and I'm trying to get a couple more casts right out there. On my 5 rods I use a lot, I think I have snaps on 2 of them right now. I'll keep a snap on one that I run crankbaits on because I like to switch those out alot until I find one that is actually working. Inlines work pretty well with the snaps too.

The pre-tied Texas rigs actually work bretty well. Surgeon's knot for the loop and palomar to the hook. Never had one fail unreasonably. Plus if I really snag up, I can normally break off the flouro at a knot before losing a tob of braid.
>>
>>802473
And to add with the Mitchell reels, they remind me of Pflueger a lot. They don't try and put new models of everything out every year, but they use some solid designs that have worked well for years. I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend one. And they sell those 300s everywhere so they gotta be pretty solid.
>>
>>802482
ive been looking shortly at the MagProR reels (simply because color somewhat matches the rod im looking at )
>>
>>802484
The reviews online always seem to be an easy way to tell if you will have issues. If you spend good money on a reel, they should have 4+ stars. Pretty much every Abu or Shimano that isn't base level will be like that. And even the cheap ones, you can tell the bad reviews are BS sometimes if the people are expecting way too much for the price or have no clue what they're doing. If a reel has a legit problem like that Quantum reel (Accurist I think?) there will be multiple people complaining about the exact same thing.

I believe Mitchell is Pure Fishing anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
>>
>>802487
yeah, im considering dropping up to $265 or so dollars on a new rod and reel, but still ewant to keep that color match
>>
>>802392
So tell me Capt Holier than thou,
You're using spinning reels? That would be odd as most marlin charters, as it 99.5% use level wind.
A device like that is made for level wind and incorrectly used on spinning reels.
>>
>>802404
>>802404
nice dunlop pick floating in the pic
>>
>>802487
>>802488
make that $320 , found a reel that matches better
Though i might go for a cheaper alternitive ( only $180-200
>>
File: image.jpg (278 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
278 KB, 640x1136
Well I've only caught this so far today. So looks like I just got two free lures. One of those bait ball jerk baits, and a chartreuse rattle trap.

>>802447
I'm 5 hours away from the ocean ;_;
>>
>>802493
better than nothing, i need to get out fishing in my kayak more, in hopes of grabbing a buncha lures
>>
>>802492
You would love my setups. Some of them are good, but a couple are pretty bad. The white Okuma on the orange and grey Lightning Rod is rough, and then I have the black and red Revo on the grey and gold Carbonlite rod. The Okuma, I don't care because I think it looks kinda neat and it was cheap. I wish the Revo setup matched but I was kinda set on the Revo SX and ended up getting a good price on that Carbonlite rod. I should've grabbed one of those Veracity rods on clearance for like $100 when I saw them at Dick's. I'm not going to compromise the color to get a good deal or something I really like though.
>>
>>802493
Damn, that's a pretty good haul.

There's like 4 bobbers sitting in one corner of this lake I fish down the street and it would be so easy to snag them but I just don't care. I did grab a Rat-L-Trap out of the reeds there a few weeks ago. Got my shoes a lil wet but I was about to go home anyway.
>>
>>802495
im not picky about it, desu but i do like it, , im looking at an okuma helios setup, because i think the greens sexy, That ot i get another st croix and match it with some diawa
>>
>>802495
>>802497
whats your red/black setup i liked
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>802499
The spinning reel? That's the Pflueger President LE on an Abu Vendetta. And it has the red PowerPro. I think with that one, I found a rod I liked first in the price range I wanted and then grabbed a reel to fit it between $70-$100.

The Orra (S or SX?) would look good on those rods too, and Dick's has a good ass price on those but they are the "Clamshell" ones with those spools that don't hold much line. I don't understand the point of those unless I run #10 braid on it. I thought of buying one and then trying to order a regular spool for it.
>>
>>802494
I'm 7 hours from the nearest ocean. Some time near thanksgiving I want to take a long weekend and go. Leave early Friday morning, set up camp/fish, go to sleep, wake up Saturday morning, fish all day, sleep, wake up Sunday morning, fish for the morning, pack up, head home, and go to work Monday morning. It would cost me less than 50 bucks in gas, probably 20 in tolls, and then some for food and other essentials.
>>
>>802504
think imma pick up a premier, and match it with some diawa, with some 10-20 lb power pro, then save and maybe next spring pick up the heios combo, because it makes my dick tingle
>>802510
and whyd you reply to me? sounds like a good dtime
>>
File: ugly.jpg (13 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ugly.jpg
13 KB, 500x500
>>801704
>>801704
>>801704
>>801704

Update from my posts last night - I finally got some line on my spinning reel 100% all good. Ended up using some 8lb mono berkley brand that's "specifically made for spinning reels" and it was amazingly easy to put compared to the Stren I had. No kinks no knots no nothing - can cast it perfectly.

Thanks guys!
>>
>>802511
I thought you were talking about his 5 hours to the ocean but you were replying to his catch
>>
>>802513
oh yeah, , im only an hou o so away (35-45 min if you haul ass) but i still dont make enough time to get down to the shore
>>
>>802514
If it was 40 minutes to the ocean. I would head out at 4 am on Saturday morning, haul add, fish all day, come home after dark, and fall asleep in my gear

Every
Fucking
Single
Weekend
>>
>>802517
ie thought the same thing, But its even easier for me to sleep in a bit, Go 3 minuites down the road to a great bass and pickerel pond, Or go 4 minuites to the best trout river in the entire state ,
i think i may go out more thus upcoming summer, i just dont feel the need to go far if im going to be alone
>>
>>802514
>>802504
Pepsi or hatchery
Can I move in with one of you two? I'll be a live-in maid till I can get a job and pay rent
Or a butler
How sweet would it be to invite a friend over and be like "and this is my butler"
>>
>>802520
I don't have any friends here, so nobody to impress anyway.
>>
>>802520
kek, not sure what my mom would think of that, we ust recently had a family friend live with us because he was homeless and trying to get his shit together , and While his brother paid minimal rent for him ( 400 a month, ) An that was terrible
i mean as long as you dont put toaster strudels in the drawrs and leave them for months you would probably be better for him , You good with yardwork? weeding and shit? i am but im always out fishing
i might even be able o get you a seasonal job at the hatchery if you ended up here
>>
>>802494
I've been meaning to take the yak out but I'm lazy and don't feel like loading it up. Might do it next weekend since the boat won't be ready.

>>802496
Yeah I'm glad I had 20# braid. The thing had so many weights on it. I just left it on the shore, I might go grab some of the bigger weights for catfishin.
>>
>>802283

I've had some pretty good luck with green pumpkin here in Orlando but I can't say how well it'll do in your area obviously.
>>
>>802524
I'm good at yard work

I'm also good at fixing power tools
I got a weed whacker to run for the first time in 20 years
My worst habit is stealing plates and forgetting them in my room but if I'm reminded I'll bring em down and clean em.
>Minimal rent
>400/Mo
3 weeks pay for me
>>802523
Just drag me to work and say "hey guys I got me a butler! Suck it!
>>
I put a gun to my head for the first time in my life today. I just want to go fishing, but I am stuck in LA
>>
>>802540
to rent a one bedroom apt near me its very hard to find anything under $900 750 is whatpeople pay for a for a studio , i just had a friend trying to find a 2 bedroom and he couldnt find anything under $1200 month Hence why im still living with mom
>>
>>802542
How'd you get a gun in California? But seriously don't do it anon. You can't catch fish if you're dead. There has to be somewhere around you that you can fish?
>>
>>802459
Always worth trying it out! Contact your local charter boats and ask them if they need a hand. If you want to be paid for it, you're going to have to specify that though.

>>802490
>marlin fishing
>level wind
You have literally no idea what you're talking about. Sure, going after grander black marlin requires overhead gear (but NOT level winds!) but 'school' sized fish are very obtainable on spin gear. The entire Hervey Bay/Fraser Island black marlin fishery (fish up to 250kg) is based around heavy spin and fly gear. We use Fin-nor LT100s exclusively for trolling and casting.

I spool all my boat's reels this way. Everything from 8000 Saltiga Dogfights with PE8 (80lb braid) down to 2500 and 4000 Stradics with 10 and 20lb braid. The only time I ever have an issue with line twist is if bait and lures are spinning in the current or on the retrieve.

>>802493
Any freshwater charters in your area?
>>
>>802548
>Any freshwater charters in your area?
The only one I know of is only one dude who does it for catfish. I might look around though and see if ones reasonably close.
>>
>>802547
Thanks dude, the truth is I havent been fishing since I was a kid. But fishing with my dad was one of the best memories I ever had andn ow I will never get to do that again. good bye
>>
>>802556
If there's nobody in your area doing charters and you personally can catch decent fish regularly, then start your own business!
>>
File: Barred_surfperch.jpg (64 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
Barred_surfperch.jpg
64 KB, 620x465
>>802542
>LA
>no fishing

Buy a spot on a party boat, or if you're a poorfag start surf fishing.

Here's a great resource for beginner surf fishermen

http://www.scsurffishing.com/articles.htm

The forums on that site are chill too.

Pic related is what I catch most of the time in north LA county.
>>
>>802558
I've never really fished from a boat before so idk how good I'd be, but if it turns out I do catch some nice fish regularly I'd definitely consider it. For now it's just a dream.
>>
>>802561
I know that landbased charters (especially those for sharks and other surf fish) are popular down in Florida. I think it's considered to be 'guiding' rather than an actual charter. People do it here in Australia a bit for freshwater fish but it's mostly around small dams that are located on private property and it's more for tourists than serious fisherman. Always something to keep in mind anyway. If you do pursue it in the future I hope you do well buddy.
>>
File: 20160620_184805.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160620_184805.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>802491

Meh, those dunlop ultex picks kinda suck. Way too slippery. Its all about the black ice picks. Duralin and tortex all day lol.

Also

>small bluefish for relevancy
>>
>>802565
Tortex yellows 4 lyfe
>>
>>802542
You can't catch quality fish over there anymore, LA is overfished. The only things that are readily available are opaleye and mackerel
>>
>>802564
Yeah the only ones I saw were small and looked like they were ran by one person. Might be fun to do on the weekends for shits and gigs and make a few extra bucks. If I ever go for it I'll dedicate the boat to "that one anon from Australia".
>>
>>802566
No no no tortex orange is the best
>>
File: 20160620_161353.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160620_161353.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>802570

Wrong. Tortex purples. 1.14mm for life. Duralin is >tortex though. Try and see for yourself.

>still maintaining that off topic post with an on topic pic
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>802578
>1.14mm
I would hate that. I like having some flex.

Anyone else bring a guitar when they fish?
>>
It was a good day at the lake today, friends. Topless fisher girls were out. I also caught a bunch of Walleye.
>>
File: ame355.png (433 KB, 792x464) Image search: [Google]
ame355.png
433 KB, 792x464
>>802519
>thought the same thing, But its even easier for me to sleep in a bit, Go 3 minutes down the road to a great bass and pickerel pond, Or go 4 minutes to the best trout river in the entire state

Fuck you.
>>
>>802520
of course the furfaggot is trying to live out his fucking maid fantasy.

Jesus fuck just kill yourself you fat degenerate piece of shit.
>>
>>802579
>scare away all the fish with a shitty rendition of Wonder Wall
>>
>>802579

I sometimes take my djembe. It's mostly for when I'm catching absolutely nothing, as I try to keep the head clean/dry.

Last time I took it with me to the beach, ended up hanging out with some stoners who were camping on the beach.
>>
Was out gillnetting some salmon and saw this massive beast!
>>
> been up since 25 minuites ago
>dont have to leave for work for another hour and a half /45 min
>already made my lunch for today
wat do?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 95

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.