[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lifestraws
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 25
Anyone got one of these?

Are they worth buying or are they just a gimmick?

Any experiences with these while /out/?
>>
>>733534
>drinking straight from the water source like a fucking tard
>not using it with a cup

It's like they want you to clog it with sediment in 5 seconds.
>>
Depends on what you currently use to filter water. I have a Sweetwater system and love being able to pump out three liters in a few minutes. My friend has a lifestraw and just puts it in a nalgene bottle, but I tend to be the guy with the most water on our group trips.
>>
Dont fucking buy one they are useless your throat will be sorr from sucking literally as hard as you can and that probably burns more water and energy than you could consume with one of these stupid, easily cloggable, gimmick, lies of life saving devices. Never trust your life with one. Buy a solar or manual pump style filter.
>>
Sawyer filter is similarly priced, works better and is rated for a much higher amount of water filtering.
>>
Why is this so hyped? It's comparable to any of a number of other water treatment systems.
>>
>>733578
this

sawyer mini > lifestraw
>>
>>733584
It has actual legit testing behind it and has been used in every shit hole in the world. It's possibly one of the most trust worthy filters for its price
>>
>>733540
>>733540
a lot of people put coffee filters over it. And why would you assume people put the tip right on the bed? Or if they didn't why wouldn't there be sediment in the cup?
>>
>>733625
Why do you assume all water is "clear"? It is always best to take a container of water, let it rest for 30 minutes then take the water off the top. The sediments are left in the bottom. You'd be very surprised to see just how much sediment there is in a "clear" stream.

You can do this with chocolate brown flood waters too. Not just "clear" mountain streams.
>>
>>733628
This. It would probably increase the lifespan of the straw too since it's not getting clogged with sediment.
>>
>>733620
*Every* filter out there has been tested. If a filter is terrible and people start falling sick/dead then it is found out real quick and not so great for sales. Sawyer, MSR, platypus all make similar or superior filters.
>>
File: tornadertube.jpg (7 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
tornadertube.jpg
7 KB, 300x300
sawyer plus one of those tornado tubes. I pack two big bottles of water. When they're empty, mark and fill one with your source water and filter it into the clean bottle. You can use gravity, or squeeze a little bit and use the pressure to filter it if you're impatient.
>>
>>733534
Don't be stupid buy a Sawyer squeeze.
>>
>>733578
yep, and filter is actually is twice better
>>
File: experience.jpg (129 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
experience.jpg
129 KB, 560x560
I wonder what they did before filters were invented.
>>
>>733763
Shit themselves to death when something went wrong. In some places, you get life-long debilitating diseases from it and die early. Not fun.
>>
>>733765
I drank a whole bunch of untreated water last summer/fall with no ill effects. I paid attention to the source and whether it was stagnant or not. Runoff I drank pure but to stagnant water I added iodine. It's very convenient to stop for a water break at a small stream and simply scoop a cup of water. I'm sure there's lots of geographical variation that would make drinking untreated water unfeasible.

I read a study on AT thru hikers and there was no statistical difference in the rate of "giardia" (both documented and self diagnosed) between hikers who used all different manner of treatment methods, or none at all.

I might come regret my decisions to drink untreated water, but it's been great so far, filters suck ass.
>>
File: Katadyn all day er day.jpg (88 KB, 317x567) Image search: [Google]
Katadyn all day er day.jpg
88 KB, 317x567
Katadyn micro filter. Get on my level.
>>
File: 1453751873982-out.jpg (209 KB, 856x1193) Image search: [Google]
1453751873982-out.jpg
209 KB, 856x1193
>>733834
I wonder how often cavemen died drinking unfiltered water. Surely we could drink it since we're supposedly just animals, right? Odd that the water that supplies all other animals and other organisms on earth with life can kill us pretty easily. Maybe we can't stomach it naturally.. which really suggests some odd conclusions
>>
>>733839
How is this? Was considering getting one. What makes it so worth the price?
>>
>>733844
If you lurk on eBay you can score one at 25-30% off retail.

It's a completely serviceable filter system, with a top-notch ceramic filter that removes sub-micron particles. One filter is good for 50,000L. Filter can be removed and cleaned. 20 year warranty.

It works a-ok with a modest output. I also have the charcoal filter to help with the taste.
>>
>>733534
Good last ditch...personally I'd still prefer to gather water in a jug and filter it through at least a cloth to keep the large chunks out and then use the straw, instead of being head first in the water waiting for a crocodile to chomp my head.
>>
>>733763
Die.
>>
>>733841

The makeup of our gut bacteria has changed with our diet. We were likely safe to drink most water sources, since our symbiotic gut bacteria woulda been prepared to deal with it. Now, we probably have drastically different gut bacteria who aren't prepared to deal with those issues. This is why it's so easy to get food poisoning.
>>
>>733841
>>733857

You know it's still possible to buikd up a tolerance to unfiltered water. Our immune systems can adapt and produce anti bodies. Yes there are some diseases that we cannot combat but most of it we can. There are people in shit holes all over the world drinking (differing levels of) dirty water and most of them are fine.
>>
>>733859
>most of them are fine.
Dafuq? No they aren't. Just because they aren't dead doesn't mean they're fine.
>>
>>733649
Stop saying "this" ffs

Is this reddit or something? fucking christ.
>>
>>733763
boiled water

Die? Wtf? Its like you guys think life started in 2010. Did you also know that TVs were not always flat?
>>
>>733669
>filter it
with what ?
>>
>>733846
>with a modest output.
there is the catch
>>
>>733763
Boil water or drink something with alcohol in it. Before that you just played your odds that there were few enough people around polluting your water sources.
>>
File: PoreSize.gif (75 KB, 780x585) Image search: [Google]
PoreSize.gif
75 KB, 780x585
>>733839
>>733844
>>733846
>>733882
It cost more because of the "silver-impregnated ceramic filter" which operates differently and is more expensive than what is used in the lifestraw and sawyer products (hollow fiber membrane afaik). It should be noted that the Katadyn mentioned has a significantly larger pore size which reduces it's effectiveness.

For reference the Katadyn filter has a pore size of 0.1 micron while the Lifestraw and sawyer mainly use hollow fibers with a pore size of 0.02 micron. I honestly don't think the Katadyn is worth the extra price but it will probably work better at removing what it was designed for longer (but don't be expecting it to remove any viruses).
>>
>>733620
It's fucking garbage compared to literally everything made by sawyer.
>>
I laugh whenever I see a hippy with one of these. Just carry a Sawyer Squeeze and some purification tablets as a backup.
>>
File: 1388038093488.jpg (63 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1388038093488.jpg
63 KB, 400x400
Question.

If I filter dirty water via selfmade filter and then boil what comes out, what harmful stuff could be left in such processed water? Chemicals? Heavy metals? Some high-temperature resistant bacteria?
>>
File: The Smile You Failed to Protect.jpg (288 KB, 748x748) Image search: [Google]
The Smile You Failed to Protect.jpg
288 KB, 748x748
>>733868
>the one time Pajeeta poo'd in the loo it killed her brother Pajeeto
>>
>>733834
Anecdotal evidence is not worth a shit in a river, son. You never know what might be going on up stream.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictures/filthy-india-photos-chinese-netizen-reactions.html
>>
>>733896
The only sawyer product that is 0.02 is the point two zero filter which looks like it can only be used with a bucket

The portable mini water only has 0.1 filtration
>>
>>733859
What you are talking about is for viruses. Most diseases you get in water are bacterial or more importantly protozoan/worm and you can get those as many times as you want :^)
>>
>>733841
If he has acess to cans and cloth why build a huge giant tripod? Jesus fuck these survival guides.
>>733857
> We were likely safe to drink most water sources
If those water sources are safe? If they are contaminated you are fucked as anyone. Protozoans and worms don't give 2shits for bacteria in your guts as some anon pointed.

Why americans don't understand simple things?
>>
>>733952
Pesticides, and metals depending on where you got the water. Always try to get less sediment, dirt, little things in it as possible.
>high temperature resistant bacteria
I don't think you'll find extromophiles unless you are looking for them, and I don't think they are harmfull to humans.
>>
I've had friends get upset stomachs where i have not. the more you drink straight from natural water sources the more you become accustomed to it.
>>
>>733870
And what exactly should he say instead. Should he repeat what the other anon said already? Saying "This" saves everyones time and if you know a better alternative, please tell us and make 4chan a better place.

As for Lifestraw vs. Sawyer just look at the lenght of the filter, it should tell you something about the effectiveness of filteration. Lifestraw is "difficult to use" because the water has to be forced through a long filter. If you think the lenght doesn't matter, then why is Sawyer as long as it is?
>>
>>733967
Yeah, I just misremembered the pore sizes from the last time this was discussed on /out/.

I guess if you really want 0.02 micron your only good option is the new MSR filter, but seeing as that costs $300+, I'll probably pass. Hopefully the hollow fibers they are using come down in price.
>>
>>733534
I eat raw meat, raw fish, raw eggs, raw ground beef. Why wouldn't I drink water straight from the source?

Firm believer in lettting your body take care of itself. It can't fight well what it has never been exposed to which is how superviruses start.
>>
>>733841
Cavemen died often early. Some where lucky. Some had a clean watersource. Some just made it long enough for children. Just like most animals.
>>
Is there a way I could put a Lifestraw inside i big silicone dildo?

Then I would feel better about sucking as hard as possible while down on my knees.
>>
>>734004
Natch forgot pic.
>>
>>733990
In that anon's case "It would probably increase the lifespan of the straw too since it's not getting clogged with sediment." would have been the only necessary thing to add. Saying "this" adds nothing to the conversation, so why say it?

How exactly did it save anyone time? Why would they have to repeat what was already said? Either add to the conversation or don't. Saying "this" is completely pointless.
>>
>>733994
You grow as much resistance to parasites as a dog learns to fight off ticks (protip: they don't). Viruses are a diferent business.
>>
>>733994
If you want to be a superman go ahead eat raw eggs and and drink water straight from the source. Raw meat and beef is a different thing.
>lettting your body take care of itself.
If you get some bad disease your body will die and that's the end of it. Before modern medicines people used to die of diseases all the time. Animals die of diseases too.

>how superviruses start.
They start when they are engineered and sometimes when anti-bacteria cleaners are used. They kill everything that is easy to kill and that gives room for the not-so-easy-to-kill viruses and bacteria. It's like evolution on fast-forward.
>>
>>733994
>I eat raw meat, raw fish, raw eggs, raw ground beef. Why wouldn't I drink water straight from the source?

You idiot... The FDA and USDA mandate procedures that help ensure the food you buy is free from contamination. That's why you can eat raw foodstuffs. Drinking unprocessed water however is just a roll of the dice, do it often enough and and it will eventually come up snake eyes.

>which is how superviruses start

no...
>>
>>734008
>Saying "this" is completely pointless.
This.
>>
>>733534

I work at a lab that does water quality testing. The lady at our front desk got a couple of those and we tried testing em on puddles in the parking lot for shits and giggles. One was ok, the other one failed horribly, there were a lot of particulates that made it through.

Obviously not a good sample size or well structure test, but it's enough for me to be a little leery of using those filters.
>>
>>734013
>FDA and USDA mandate procedures that help ensure the food you buy is free from contamination
So the same groups that is giving me 'cook to xxxF degrees" to ensure safety from foodborne illness is actually making sure it is safe to eat raw.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? I must be an idiot. Yep, there it is. You called me idiot.

>unprocessed water...
I can't even fathom how to respond to this.
>>
>>733834

You really might want read up on historical water supplies and sanitation. People keeled over from waterborne diseases all the time, and a lot of that really wasn't too long ago.
>>
>>734008
Calm your autism buddy, holy shit.
>>
>>733954
Hehe
>>
File: onlyfagsreadfilenames.jpg (57 KB, 800x732) Image search: [Google]
onlyfagsreadfilenames.jpg
57 KB, 800x732
>>734029
>>734014

Do you say "this" after someone says something you agree with in person? I may sound like an autist, but it's better than sounding like I have down sydrome.
>>
>>734034
>down sydrome
so instead you make fun of retards?
>>
>go to /x/
>hollow earth dude and on the same thread another american starts the good'ol theory of evolution
>go to /int/
>biased manipulated statistics and people taggin haplogroups on a map
>come to /out/ people saying it's fine to drink pondwater to gain resistance to non-viral parasites
Why some americans have to behave like semi-iliterate people and always act as if they were right?
>>
>>734038

I see a lot of eurotards do the same thing buddy, it's not an entirely american problem at all. It only seems that way because this site is populated mostly by amerifats.
>>
>>733870
This. Reddit, fuck off from this website right at this moment. This is not the site for you. This simply isn't.
>>
File: toxic spurdo.png (39 KB, 633x973) Image search: [Google]
toxic spurdo.png
39 KB, 633x973
>>734043
I'm not even european or american. I just loom at the distance watching these idiots shitfling their stupid ideas at eachother.
>>
>>734045
Forgot to add that the habit of calling informal falacies out as if they where important is exclusively american (save for one or two basement dwellers somewhere else). Probably because some american school have no philosophy classes and people go to debate classes/clubs instead.
>>
>>734044
Fuck off, I've been here since 07, what about you cunt? Stop trying to sound clever, because you're not.

>>734035
Sorry you're having such a hard time coping with the fact that you're a cuck faggot retard.
>>
>>734047

>exclusively american

Hahaha, no dude, it's not at all. People in general are just retarded, and the internet just magnifies it.
>>
>>734045
Well then why don't you enlighten them with your infinite wisdom you fucking paki
>>
>>733881

The filter.
>>
>>733839

No doubt there's better options out there, it's about what you're willing to pay. A buddy of mine has an army surplus reverse osmosis machine. It filters out absolutely everything but cost him several grand.
>>
>>734078
>but cost him several grand.
Your buddy got sold
>>
>>734069
>calls a dude a paki
>drinks pond water
>evolution is a lie
>hollow earth
Ok cleetus
>>
hey does anyone know why the sawyer mini won't fit in any of the bottles I buy in europe? the packaging says it's universal
>>
>>734214
metric
>>
Got one has a gift. I throw it in my bug out bag with a few other things to filter water.
>>
File: IMG_2924.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2924.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
Would anyone drink out of this without any filters or stuff like that? The ground gets saturated by rain then it hits bedrock and forms a little stream. This one started right about at the top of the pic.
>>
>>734150

Depends, for all we know it'd some rig that can supply a house.
>>
File: giardia.jpg (170 KB, 977x1024) Image search: [Google]
giardia.jpg
170 KB, 977x1024
>>734025
>the same groups that is giving me 'cook to xxxF degrees" to ensure safety from foodborne illness is actually making sure it is safe to eat raw.

You dumb fuck, their job isn't to make sure you can eat raw meat without getting sick. Like I said before, they "mandate PROCEDURES that HELP ensure the food you buy is free from contamination". There's always a tiny percentage of contamination that passes through the cracks and that's why the last line of defense falls upon the consumer to cook their food to an internal temp of 140 to 165 degrees F.

>I must be an idiot
no argument here...

>>unprocessed water...
>I can't even fathom how to respond to this.

I realize that you suffer from a terminal case of ignorance but surely even you know that the water that comes out of mommy and daddy's tap has been processed (filtered and treated with chemicals) to make it safe for drinking. Rainwater can be collected and consumed because it's already been "processed", it's essentially distilled water although it CAN pick up contaminates from airborne pollution. Water from any other source should be processed (boiled, filtered or chemically treated) before ingestion due to the possibility of it being contaminated by viruses, bacteria, or parasites such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium.

>>
>>734035
This.
>>
>>734025
People survived for 6000 years without the USDA!
>>
>>734435
Rain water is dirty as shit unless you live in the middle of fucking fucking fucking fucking nowhere, and still it will have shitcraptons of dust and dirt.
If you use roof for collecting it it shoudn't be used for human consumption without filtering and boiling/chemcial treating.
>>734395
Here in the tropics there are several diseases that use snails and slugs as vectors and some that leave "eggs" on the fucking dirt for ever. So I woudn't drink that HERE, as these parasites aren't present in civilized places (I hope) I'd bet it's relatively safe. There is always the risk a bird shat somewhere upstream or some shit.
>>
>>734495
>6000 years
Kek
>>
File: 20140726_152122.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20140726_152122.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Always just drink out of the creek/river, done it for weeks on end no worries. NZ is pretty good if your in the bush.
>>
>>734048
This.

>>734044
you need to stop acting like you're not a newfag and stop using reddit memes. obviously a fag.
>>
>>734044
This
>>
>>734680

>obviously replying to own post
>this much autism
>>
>>734048
This.
You guys need to show some more respect to a 4chan veteran. You think you're clever for talking shit? Well, you're not.
>>
>>734048
>I've been here since 07
Thank you for your service
>pressed f internally
>>
Recently went on a hike with two dudes who refused to drink any water that didn't pass through a Lifestraw. Water was moving pretty quick and was cold, drank that shit up and I was fine.
>>
>>736752
This proves everything.
All water purification is a lie.
>>
>not straining your turds through a sieve and drinking the liquid
>>
I personally had a good experience with my Sawyer in the Blue Mountains, but my friend who just drank straight from the river was fine anyway.
>>
>>733881
the sawyer squeeze sits in-line between the bottle and tornado tube.
>>
File: uk5j43y2gr.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
uk5j43y2gr.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
>>733763
>>
File: unfiltered.jpg (42 KB, 387x410) Image search: [Google]
unfiltered.jpg
42 KB, 387x410
>>733859
>>
Do these things remove parasites n shit too?
>>
Any reason not to get a sawyer mini? For use refilling water bottles, not drinking like a straw. Only issue I see is it looks like it would be difficult to fill up the squeeze bag in shallow or still water.
>>
>>736921
saved
>>
>>736995
Get one. I have a tiny cup to get water from shallow sources and fill the pouch.
>>
>>736754
Way to run off with that
>>
>>733534

Just bought one of these because there were no retail stores selling the Sawyer near where I live.

Instant regrets. You have to suck quite hard and you can't use them as a gravity filter.

Sawyer is way more adaptable, smaller, and can be used as a straw, screwed directly into a water bottle to use as an inline filter, or you can hang it up and use it as a gravity filter to purify larger amounts of water unattended.

Lifestraws are a shit.
>>
>>733834

>untreated
>I added iodine
>>
>>733994

Do you also let niggers beat you up? You can't fight well what you have never been exposed to, which is how race riots start.
>>
>>734045

I know them feels, bro.
>>
>>734395

Nah. I come across plenty of good looking water but still use my sawyer because I don't want to run the risk of ruining my time /out. It literally takes me just a few seconds to screw the sawyer into the top of the bag and I can rest easy and not worry about getting the shits.

Not filtering is like running across the road in heavy traffic even when you know the pedestrian crossing light will turn green in about 5 seconds.
>>
>>733886
It's not just humans making the water toxic. Go back to your liberal hugbox.
>>
>>734044
>This
>>
>>733763
Beer, wine and spirits. Then coffee and tea came and so did the era of reason and no fun
>>
>>733669
>>736840

Wait, so the Sawyer Mini is threaded on both ends? I thought only one side had soda bottle threading.
>>
>>737820
That.
>>
>>733964
varanasi is such a filthy place, its insane

lot of hindu don't even consider gangnes holy anymore because it's so goddamn polluted
>>
>>733578
Stop shilling.

Sawyer has been proven to be less effective and has greatly overstated their claims.

Lifestraw has been proven more effective and unlike the sawyer, does not lose effectiveness after a fee months of use.

The sawyer after hard use allows e coli and other bacteria to pass through it.

The Lifestraw does not.

Don't buy a sawyer. They've never been proven.
>>
>>738261
Every time there's a water filter thread, this jackass shows up with the same bullshit claims about Sawyer.

His claims are completely fabricated. (he's lying)

Probably a marketing rep for Lifestraw.

Virtually everyone in these threads agrees that Sawyer is the better product and Lifestraw is an inferior piece of shit.
>>
>>733870
"thus" was around before reddit brah
>>
>>737826

Don't you know? It's our fault that animals shit everywhere, and that algae blooms occur in bodies of water. #ThanksObama
>>
>>738261

Maybe more people would buy your shitty lifestraw if you put a water bottle thread on it and it wasn't the size of a black man's dick.
>>
>>738304

Not sure if you're from New Zealand or medieval England
>>
>>733584
Because its le magical water cleaning straw1!1!1!!
>>
>>737826
For sure this is true, but municipal treatment of water only became a big necessity because of cities discharging waste into surface water where we also draw drinking water from.

In generally most of the stuff you'd be worried about getting sick from is due to humans. Turns out humans are pretty good carriers for things that make us sick.

While I'm sure plenty people got sick from water back in the day by drinking stagnant water with rotting animals in it, the abundance of people has made things worse. There may have been certain areas with elevated levels of certain contaminants, but now humans and our industrial activities have raised the ambient level of many of these contaminants.
>>
>>737945
>>738052

These.
>>
>>738990

Thus
>>
>>737953

Nope, only threaded on one end. The tornado tube only works w/ the Sawyer Squeeze, NOT the mini.

If you want a solution that lets you use the mini as a gravity filter, some people have clipped the straw attachment that goes with it and then used it to connect to a bottle adapter.

Why they don't thread both sides or provide their own adapter is a mystery to me. OTOH I'd love to see the industry consolidate around a universal cap threading for small-diameter bottle tops, but obviously if everything fit perfectly then they'd lose their precious aftermarket.
>>
I only used it at at a lake when when I ran out of bottled water. It tasted like dirt when I used it so it wasn't pleasant. Also it doesn't dry out inside and smelled like mildew. I still have it for emergencies but usually just make sure to take twice as much water as I think I will need so I can avoid using it in the first place.
>>
>>734045
If you're not European or American then you're naturally inferior, so your opinions of us are worthless.
>>
>>739199
Therefore.
>>
>>737826
Humans acts as hosts and vectors for their parasites. What the fuck are you talking about
>eat poo
>poo in the water
>water something with poo water
>eat something
>repeat
>>
File: 8016389_expedition.jpg (18 KB, 555x420) Image search: [Google]
8016389_expedition.jpg
18 KB, 555x420
this thing seems pretty neat beside its price
>>
>>733834
>untreated
>treated with Iodine
Was gonna dismiss this as bs until I read that
>>
>>738261

[citation needed]
>>
>>733534
why would i drink filthy water with bacteria and parasite eggs when i could just go to my house and get some fresh water?
>>
>>742176

Why even leave the house? XD XD XD
>>
>>733994
Enjoy shitting your bowels out until your rectum prolapsed and you die of colon cancer (assuming you don't die of a viral infection first).. wait never mind,,,, you've never called anywhere other than your mates backyard where him and his uncle diddled you...
>>
>>739516
>Also it doesn't dry out inside and smelled like mildew.

That's why you're supposed to run bleach water through it before you store those hollow fiber filters.
>>
>>739516

Did you flush it and then leave the end caps open to air dry before storing it? I do that and I've never had any bad smells.

Also I usually try to blow out any water inside before chucking it back in my pack.
>>
What does a waterfilter do that boiling doesnt do?
>>
>>743084
It removes stuff as opposed to killing stuff
>>
>>743084

With filters you don't have to build a fire to get clean water. It might sound self-evident but it's good if you just want a quick drink or if its wet and a pain in the arse to get shit lit.
>>
>>743084
Boiling is healthier, you destroy all viruses, all bacteria and almost all other parasites (a few can survive if you are very high where water boils at lower tems, but the higher you go, the rarer parasites get), however, some filters can remove discoloration or even odors (like with activated charcoal filters).

The most important difference is that filters save fuel and time. If neither is important, boil.
>>
>>734026
What youre saying is true, but we have hospitals with advamced medicine everywhere. I think that as long as you have a way to communicate for help, you will survive a water borne illness in developed countries. Getting sick will still suck ass but i have never gotten sick from drinking untreated water and i have drank from swamps several times as an 11 year old out in the woods.

I got sick for eating a "bad" Morrell mushroom (1 out of the hundreds picked) and was ridiculously sick, vomiting so much and so violently i wanted to just lay out in the cool, dew covered grass of my backyard and die. I was 11 or 12, at home with just my younger brother while my parents were at a party or something that they had left for after making us steak and morrells (and bacon) for dinner. I had some oreos after dinner as well, and about an hour or two later is when i started to feel ill. The feeling creeped up on me at first, but after about 20 minutes of feeling like that i started vomiting puddles of black shit (oreos colored the vomit) and mucas. Fucking sucked. My brother called my parents and told them he was worried after it went on for like an hour (neighbors came and checked on me during that time too) and they came home and called an ambulance. I stopped puking when i got to the hospital, but i got home later that night and could still smell the cooked mushroom for dinner that night and puked a couple more times lmao. So yea anyways im done blogging like a faggot i was just sayin, even when everything is done right there is a chance to get ill.
>>
I challenge anyone to go to the nearest puddle of shit-brown parasite infested water, and use this straw to drink from it.

If you can do it, then come back and say how great it is.
>>
>>743554
It's used all over Africa, can't get more tested than that
>>
File: lifestraw-family-1-illustrated.jpg (32 KB, 511x440) Image search: [Google]
lifestraw-family-1-illustrated.jpg
32 KB, 511x440
Have one of these. pic related. used in all sorts of water. guaranteed for everything including hepatitis. used in africa. havent had any problems what so ever in many climates and elevations and water qualities.
>>
>>734048
I agree i hate seeing people that say "this" i cant help but picture some blond bimbo.
>>
>>733534
One of my friends had one. We used it once when we were on a hike and some clean water sources on the route we were going along had been shut off since the last time we took the route. It's good as an impromptu stop-gap when you're low on water and need to get somewhere, but apart from that boiling / iodine / stored tapwater is always better.
>>
>>743874

I thought about getting one of those but what put me off is the fact that there is a tap that will release dirty water on it.

Why the hell would you want/need that? The last thing I would want is one of my mates getting up early still half asleep and using the dirty water tap by mistake then getting sick.
>>
>>733763
Died early from easily preventable sources
>>
If I go on a long (weeks/months) hike, should I buy a sawyer or sth similar or will I be fine with iodine and coffee filters for the dirt? And refilling my bottles when I come through villages.
>>
>>733886
Alcohol in it didn't killed the bacteria and parasites. It was the process of making alcoholic beverages that did, it usually involved boiling and filtering.
>>
>>744048

I'd recommend a filter. It's just easier and most of them weigh practically nothing.
>>
>>743913
the dirty tap is for a couple of things, 1 to get the filter full so that the purification can start by drawing the water down into the filter. 2 to empty the filter when done with use. 3 im sure there may be other reasons but idk them.

the way i always set this filter up is with the red nozzle very close to the ground as there is no use for the red tap, not even grey water. and the blue tap and hose are normally slung into my large bottle. i dont think ive ever been so asleep that i confused the hard to get to red tap with the blue one.
>>
>>743879
>picture some blond bimbo.

Is this a problem?
>>
>>743880
This is complete nonsense btw. Treating wilderness water sources is faster and easier than boiling every time. When people hike the 2,600 mile pacific crest trail, they don't break out the stove to boil 2-4 liters every time they fill up. They fill up, treat, then get on their way.
>>
File: steripen-water-purifier-3.jpg (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
steripen-water-purifier-3.jpg
44 KB, 500x500
Anyone have opinions on the UV wands? I've heard they are better in clear water than chemicals or filtering but it feels like a gimmick.
>>
>>744642
>Anyone have opinions on the UV wands? I've heard they are better in clear water than chemicals or filtering but it feels like a gimmick.

I'm skeptical about that doing anything better than laying a shallow try of clear water in the sun, but have little steripen experience.
>>
>>744642
They work, they're less effort than a pump, they don't add a chemical taste. I have one and have used it for a few years now. Probably the worst thing I could say about them is A) they'll only do 1L at a time and B) it can get a bit boring holding it in place for 60 seconds, though you can get a water bottle holding thingy for that. In cloudy/turbid water it wouldn't be as effective and might require a prefilter.
>>
>>744642

They won't filter out particulates. So you might kill all the germs but you'll still be swallowing all the snottygobblers you picked up from the creek.
>>
>>744642
>>744691
>>744880
The main problem with particulates and UV treatment isn't that they don't remove them (although obviously they don't). The problem is that the particulates will shade bacteria and viruses from the UV.

For /out/ purposes, I think chlorine dioxide is the best overall in terms of effectiveness, cost, weight, etc. If the only water around is really turbid then just filter it through some cloth and let the particles settle before disinfecting.
>>
>Lifestraws

You mean, "water filter straw".

>>733540
>>733628
Totally this. OP image is trigger worthy. People need to learn to take care of their equipment and promoters need to learn a thing or two about the products.
>>
>>733763
They drank from springs coming straight from the rocks.
>>
>>740953
>>737808
You guys are both retarded.
He only added iodine to stagnant water, runoff he drank itself.
>>
File: grayl-featured.jpg (69 KB, 899x484) Image search: [Google]
grayl-featured.jpg
69 KB, 899x484
Does anyone have an opinion on the grayl water bottle. I was considering it because I like the idea of filtering the water and being able to pour it into another container. Plus it seems easier to just push down down and have 16oz than using a straw
>>
>>745175
So a harder to use and less capacity pump?
>>
>>745162

You're the fucking retard.

>I didn't treat it
>I treated it
>>
So what filter should one get for weekend camping/backpacking?
>>
>>745545
Sawyer Mini
>>
>>745545
Lifestraw
>>
>>734011
>when anti-bacteria cleaners are used. They kill everything that is easy to kill and that gives room for the not-so-easy-to-kill viruses and bacteria.
No. Anti-bacterial cleaners are not the same as antibiotics or antiviral drugs. Being resistant to one does not confer resistance to the other, and most cleaners are such that almost no resistance occurs anyway, either because of the harshness of the cleaning agent or multiple agents being used. If anything it would make bacteria and viruses that are less dangerous to humans because resistant bacteria and viruses are always less virulent than their non-resistant counterparts. There are literally treatment regimens for certain chronic viral infections that hinge on this fact.

>It's like evolution on fast-forward.
It's just regular evolution, bacteria and viruses adapt quickly because of their short generations and how poor they are at copying their DNA/RNA.
>>
File: maki.png (393 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
maki.png
393 KB, 480x720
>>733534
It works well in my experience. It is useful if you are getting a drink straight from the source. If you want to fill up your bottle, however, you will want a pump
>>
>>733534
It's made to be just good enough to keep the pygmies from dying of typhoid because they haven't discovered fire yet

It's not a product anybody in the first world should really be using
>>
File: 1444940435177.png (398 KB, 508x685) Image search: [Google]
1444940435177.png
398 KB, 508x685
>>733994
>which is how superviruses start
No it's not you faggot
>>
>>744555
Wut, I never said that boiling was faster than treating it with iodine. I just said either of those options were better than lifestraws.
>>
>>745545

Sawyer
>>
>>745628

Wow, a year 12 biology student in the flesh!
>>
>>745781
I'm just trying to correct the guy (and others that may be reading) so they don't go on scaring idiots into not using cleaners for stupid reasons (if you want not to use cleaners, don't, but make sure it's not for a stupid reason.)

A guy I work with threw out like $150 worth of simple green D he bought for his kennel because his idiot son read something like that on cracked.
>>
>>745948
>>745781
Also I don't have any kind of biology background other than a generalized one. This is shit I learned in like the 8th grade.
>>
>>745188
I wouldn't say harder to use. Less capacity is a downside tho.
>>
>>733763
Last time I did this I got dysentary.
I've never done this again
>>
>>733765
You can drink clear, running and cold streams. Its still not recommended but it is "safe."

Always filter and boil when able.
>>
>>734008
saying 'this' is a commonly used way to agree with everything from a previous statement. stop being so edgy and just deal with how this place talks ok
>>
>>743879
That.
>>
>>734668
Cryptosporidium and the evil giardia.
>>
>>733870
>Is this reddit or something? fucking christ.

People spoke like this in the early 2000s and it carried over to the first days of 4chan. Fuck off and drown yourself.
>>
>>733870
please go back to /tv/ or wherever you're from
>>
>>746374

"safe" = not safe
>>
>>733534
This is on sale on amazon right now and is infinitely better than a sawyer
>>
>>748277

Kek in what way

>shills be shillin
>>
>>733763
people drank weak beer otherwise known as small beer (i think) or just chanced it after boiling.

I used to live up on the moors near studley pike and once when walking i was incredibly thirsty and thought about drinking from a stream i passed regularly, i decided against it and thanked myself for it when not 30 feet up from where i was about to drink i found a decomposing sheep half on the bank and half in the water.

Prolly would have shit myself to death.
>>
File: 1458681717065.jpg (86 KB, 633x738) Image search: [Google]
1458681717065.jpg
86 KB, 633x738
>>750337
Most likely not. But why take a chance?
>>
>>734214
I just tested it on a cheap 1.5L soda bottle in the fridge and it fitted perfectly
>>
>>751674

But is your fridge in Europe?
>>
>>751713
Jesus fucking christ ofcourse that was obviously implied
>>
>>733841
Some water sources are safe to drink, just the testing process might be less than healthy for you. Also boiling kills kills bacteria.
>>
>>733871
This. Humans have been around for 200,000+ years. We survived somehow.
>>
>>733870
Newfag detected
>>
>>733534
>laughingcunts.ppm
>he fell for the deathstraw meme
>>
>>752110
>Humans have been around for 200,000+ years
Nigga, do you even Young Earth creationism (YEC)?
>>
>>736890
brilliant!

>>736961
these things only remove bacteria, no virusses.
>>
>>751745

You better go catch it then!
>>
File: IMG_20160501_221838.jpg (279 KB, 1440x1616) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160501_221838.jpg
279 KB, 1440x1616
Dreaded Beaver Fever!!!!!!
>>
>>733763
Enjoy your shits, pal

Hope you brought enough TP
>>
just buy a steri pen http://www.amazon.com/SteriPen-Classic-Purifier-Pre-Filter-bundle/dp/B00V7P1R86/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1462479433&sr=1-2&keywords=steripen
>>
>>754337
back to the stream from whence it came bra
>>
>>733534
about as useful as some healing stones
>>
>>733870
this will trigger you
>>
>>748303
Lifestraws are actually tested and will last for years.
>>
>>759019

How is that any different to Sawyers?
>>
>>758017
this 2bh
>>
>>759268
this 3bh
>>
>>733565
you seem butthurt.
also you are wrong.
>>
>>733834
>I had a different anecdotal experience therefore drinking water from the source is safe hurr durr

you're retarded
>>
>>733763
>>734395
Where I grew up (the backwoods north), we always drank directly from a spring that wasn't too far from my house. Once a week or so we'd take water jugs over to the source, fill them and carry them back home and that was our water.
Never had any medical complications or even diarrhea of any kind drinking from springs like that.
>>
>>759923

Oh cool I guess that means water everywhere is safe then
>>
>>733868
>implying the shitwater wouldn't be sufficiently filtered by all that dirt before reaching the well

But then these are brownies we're talking about, That well's probably like five feet away from the shitter.
Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.