[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is obsidian so damn sexy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: 6irx-obsidian4a.jpg (42 KB, 640x371) Image search: [Google]
6irx-obsidian4a.jpg
42 KB, 640x371
Why is obsidian so damn sexy?
>>
Better question, why do we find jewels and shiny things so appealing?

My theory is it comes from spotting ripe fruits and colorful berries being important to our evolutionary survival.
>>
>>713697
Actually it's more along the lines of why some cultures value fat people... having the spare time to create and wear decoration is a status symbol.
>>
>>713699
Yeah, like exhibiting all your surplus energy in the form of finely crafted rare things.
But I'm talking about the initial attraction to things that make them decorative in the first place, why are opals and volcanic glass and emeralds so cool?
>>
File: 1401321792246.gif (494 KB, 310x229) Image search: [Google]
1401321792246.gif
494 KB, 310x229
>OP

Faggot
>>
>why do we find jewels and shiny things so appealing?

Because its rare, they are in very small quantity in nature, making it expensive, making it attractive to rich people as a way to show their finnancial power

/\ quantity = \/ price
>>
what can i do with obsidian? i have a few small chunks ( smaller than baseball larger than goldfball )
>>
>>713747
>insert in pooper
>wait till it gets nice shape
>>
>>713690

Becayse it's shitny and it has a deep consistent color.

We love shiny things and deep colors also.
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 500x279
I don't find it sexy at all.
>>
>>713700
>>713697
>>713697
Evolutionary psychology is bullshit no matter how many dubs you get. Only quads will mov eit away from the far end of bullshit.
>>
>>713818

t. Sociology fag who's afraid as his precious hypothesis of evolution and biology having no significant impact on human brainfunction is crumbling more and more.

>Brainfunctions that might secure better survival chances would not be inherited to the next generation

just listen to yourself for a second. Theres more scientific proof against you than for you.

>>713697
It's a good theory, also supporting why especially women like gem-stones so much as they are believed to have been the former gatherers in primitive societiey.

Also: /geology pun incoming/
Obsidian just has a nice cleavage, thats why.
>>
>>713840
>can't be falsified
>cherry picking
>story telling and anedoctal evidence of things that may or may not have happened
Why americans are usually atracted to stupid shit like Ayn rand, frenology, mani/pol/ation os statistics, informal falacies calling contests and EvP? I'm not even yuropooor to know that this shit is stupid.
>>
German, not American.

Sociology has been falsified multiple times, heres an overall example, enjoy realising you payed all that student loan for a shit mayor:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLd9_g7lAICxtlGbxh4_z8ik178o8CDPnv
>>
File: wtf.jpg (86 KB, 692x709) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
86 KB, 692x709
>>713697
> precious hypothesis of evolution and biology having no significant impact on human brainfunction
What. What theory.
>>713852
Stop projecting. I don't know about the guy you quoted but I don't pay for unviersites nor do any humanities. I'm just not retarded enough to deseperatly grasp at anything remotely "scientific" to support my manichean, racist and stupid views of the world.
And this is /out/ for esoteric bullshit go to>>> /x/
>>
>>713853

or are you trying not to be racist so hard that you see beyond scientific facts? It's a norwegian TV-Show.
>>
>>713857
Not him but Evolutionary psychologists often use their "science" to justify and explain nigger and wymin stuff. It's weird that the american academia allows space for this things, but hey it's america.
>>
File: nigga what.png (74 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
nigga what.png
74 KB, 300x256
>>713859
This nigga gets it. Pic is my face after reading "The Adapted Mind"
>>
>>713857
By racist I meant genetic deterministic.
>>
>>713840
but....it doesn't have any cleavage at all....
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.