[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do you guys find time/money to go /out/? all my time seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 1452789139984.png (16 KB, 1271x129) Image search: [Google]
1452789139984.png
16 KB, 1271x129
how do you guys find time/money to go /out/? all my time seems to be spent working just to get by
>>
>>713357
Fishing is relatively cheap compared to most hobbies
>>
>>713357
You don't need much money to be /out/, in fact, some of the most /out/ people I know haven't worked in years.

Imagine what your cost of living would be if you didn't have rent/mortgage, car payment, utility bills, insurance(s)... the list goes on. Carry your home on your back, and travel with the seasons.
>>
>>713361
Psst... Hey pep... OP hasn't replied at all to a thread he started two hours ago.

Think he went fishing?
>>
>>713505
I hope so.

Seriously though, fishing has to be one of the cheapest hobbies. Especially if you use live bait. For $50, you can get a halfway decent rod and reel, then another $20 on some hooks, bobbers, weights, and bait and you are set to go.

Unfortunately I take it a little to far. But compared to my other hobbies it could be cheap. BMX, you are breaking a $100+ part every month. A decent BMX bicycle that would hold up to trails or a skatepark is at least $500. Then once you really get into it and build your own bikes, closer to $1500.

And then there is music. I play the drums and goddamn that is expensive to get into. Even a beginner set from a decent company will run $1000 just to get setup. When you really get into it, you're looking at $5000+ for a drum kit, hardware, and cymbals. Then if you want to start recording stuff, you need at least 8 mics on a regular 5pc kit plus all the cables, stands, and then an interface and software.
>>
>>713357

Like everything else, if it's important enough then you'll find a way to make time and find the money.

You might have to sacrifice other things but every choice in life is technically a sacrifice. So you have to choose what's important to you, and then do it.
>>
>>713527
>at least 8 mics
Are you serious? 2 over head mics minimum, 2 OH + snare and kick will serve pretty much anyone any level...
>>
>>713806
If you don't want to be able to mix...
>>
>>713357
I live /out/. I hunt for meat and I grow the veggies I need. Even when I don't have anything growing, my uncle pickles and cans stuff and I trade him.
>>
>>713527
only hedonists love killing animals for pleasure
>>
File: niggerniggernigger.jpg (38 KB, 360x361) Image search: [Google]
niggerniggernigger.jpg
38 KB, 360x361
>>713862
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>713862
Where does the "killing" come into this? I release everything I catch aside from invaisive stuff like snakeheads.
>>
>>713357
I work shift.
2 weeks on, 12 hour work days. Then one week off. That solve the time issue.
As far as money goes, I don't really spend money on a lot of things except essentials like food and rent of course, the outdoor things are the only hobby that I out a lot of money into.
>>
>>713917
what do you do?
>>
>>713527
I may have you beat there, Pep. I use a PVC spindle ($2), small stones for weights and pine cones as bobbers. I'm still using commercial hooks, but I may be transitioning to gorge hooks. This isn't so much about cost as it is about size and weight, the whole kit is about 1.5"x12" and even filled with hooks and swivels, the weight feels pretty negligible, but it's a pretty good example of how cheap fishing can get.
>>
>>714135
I think those Shakespeare starter kits for bass or panfish of whatever you choose are only around $35 for the rod, reel spooled with mono, a few hooks, weights, bobbers, soft baits, and a crank and beetle spin.

Those rods aren't terrible either, they will definitely last if you take care of them. I would probably buy a spool of Trilene or Stren though because cheap mono that has been spooled on a reel for god knows how long can be a pain in the ass.

Idk about being compact like your setup though. There are some nice 3, 4, or 5pc rods on the market if you ever want to make the jump.
>>
>>714138
Personally, I probably wouldn't. I've got a relatively nice rod and reel that I take when I'm just going fishing, but when I'm hiking or biking the size and weight make a difference. Plus moving parts. Its kind of difficult to fuck up a piece of PVC, but I wouldn't even know how to fix a reel or rod if something broke on me 80 miles (on foot) from home.

But that's my same argument for using a roll-top alcohol stove instead of gas. Maybe I'm just justifying being a poorfag.
>>
>>713362
Fuck off hippie
>>
>>713362
It's illegal to not have health insurance in USA now though... I have to pay $250/mo for shitty insurance that I never use.
>>
>>713357
My Job allows me to choose between consecutive or regular days off so every now and then I get a 2-3 day stretch where I can go backpacking or something
>>
>>714295
>I have to pay $250/mo for shitty insurance that I never use.

someone doesn't understand how insurance works
>>
>>714332
Oh, no I do, and it will keep me from going bankrupt if I ever have a motorcycle crash or major accident or illness but it doesn't cover much else -- no prescription drugs, no office visits, no vaccinations, no optical or dental... This shitty plan has also increased between 21% to 24% PER YEAR for the last 3 years. 3 years ago I was paying ~$140/mo and now the same plan is costing me ~$250/mo. If this keeps up then I'll be paying $400/mo by 2020 and I'm already having a hard time affording it at $250/mo.
>>
>>713862
one of my favorite games, spot the vegan
>>
>>714339
Optical insurance doesn't cover shit anyway. At least I only pay 49 a month because I'm poverty and student.
>>
>>714381
i dated a vegan once. maybe it was just my imagination but his cum felt and tasted a lot better than other guys, idunno
>>
File: DSC_0675_-L.jpg (133 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0675_-L.jpg
133 KB, 800x533
>>713357
Career in engineering, and almost a decade with the company. Pays well and I get a good chunk of vacation.
>>713800
this.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.